[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Second Seasons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: gst.png (295KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
gst.png
295KB, 500x374px
Why do so many mecha anime go to shit/become even worse with the second season/second half? Gundam 00, IBO, SEED, SEED Destiny, AGE, Wing, 08th MS Team, Try, you fucking name it. It's ridiculous why this happens so fucking often to mech anime, just what the hell causes it?

I know that earlier it was normal for there to be a change in directors in the middle of a long-running anime series, but I don't think that happens today as much. When presented with a 50-episode long series, do the writers solely bother with the pilot and final episode only to jinx everything inbetween. Alternatively they had a good concept going which they could expand upon for 25 episodes, but they didn't know what to do with the remaining 25 so they had to stretch things out or introduce pointless shit for the sake of padding out the length. Is it a curse?
>>
>>15758303
Ain't exclusive to mecha shows. Most of the time sequels/2nd seasons suck dick
>>
Because as episodes are produced, little changes are made. Sometimes it just seems to work better in the self contained environment of the single episode, sometimes it's for pacing's sake, sometimes it's just making things easier to animate. But as small changes pile up, the episodes end up having to take more and more drastic steps to keep the plot on the rails.
Alternatively, the budget isn't going as far as they thought it would and they start cutting corners.
>>
>>15758303
Because the first season is made in isolation
The second is made based on the reception to the first
>>
It's just a taste thing.
>>
Gundam IBO season 2 is better than than the first as at least is became an entertaining trainwreck rather than boring tras.
>>
>>15758303
What about when the exact opposite happens and the second half is where shit starts to get good? Like G Gundam, Macross 7, and GaiGaiGar.
>>
>>15758325

Yeah, that sounds like it. At best, the sequel is an expansion of the concepts of the original show, at worst it is some souless cheap cash in that capitalizes on the success of the first one and is either rushed into production with dire consequences, or heavily relies in fanservice and call backs to cater to the fans.
>>
>>15758303
>SEED
The only decent part of SEED was the second half because it wasn't riddled with "DRAMA ensues".
>>
>>15758325
Which would make the second season better.
>>
>>15758414
Nah, listening to your audience is the worst thing you can do.
>>
>>15758463
Maybe if you're not part of the audience.
>>
>>15758467

I honestly can't think of a single series that actually got better after deciding that catering to the wishes of the more vocal part of the fanbase was the best course of action.
>>
Didn't the director of 8th MS team die halfway through it's production?
>>
>>15758303
Because the first season was where all the effort originally was; as a series drags on and things get resolved in the story, you have to keep upping stakes and adding new elements to keep things interesting. Inevitably, the quality and pacing degrades as you exhaust good ideas.

And as >>15758315 said, almost all media suffers from this.
>>
>>15758759
That just means you're not in that part of the fanbase. They probably thought the series got better.
>>
File: 1480145747362.png (367KB, 600x409px) Image search: [Google]
1480145747362.png
367KB, 600x409px
>Wing
>08th
>Second season

Either I missed something or I'm just retarded
>>
>>15758942

One can be a critic while still being part of the fanbase. Like how there's some people who loves the metroid franchise but hated how it made the jump to FPS.

In the same way, one can love something like gundam but dislike the direction some gundam shows took that catered to the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>15758303
>Wing

I have no idea what you're talking about, it was meh all over.

In saying mecha in general get worse in their second half, you're also ignoring a fairly notable crowd of shows that get better in their second halves, too. Both categories are pretty well filled.
>>
>>15758303
Wrong on literally every example, gonback to Mecha Talk and fap to Irritaring Bowel Odor.
>>
On the contrary, ZZ only gets better in its second half.
>>
>>15758303
>Gundam 00
It was better in the second season. Setsuna's less boring and more emotive, and Ribbons was based.

>IBO
Shock value for the sake of it.

>SEED
The only good part was the desert arc. Everything else was trash.

>Wing
The show was trash all around.

>08th MS Team
From what I know the director died part way through. There was even a character in promotional material who never appeared because plans changed following the director change. Atleast Norris got to show off.
>>
>>15758759
The only show I can ever think of that did is The Walking Dead, when people begged them to stop writing such useless cunty women characters.
>>
>>15758303
A first season is made because someone had an idea that stood on its own or someone was willing to take a chance on, a second season is made because the first one made money.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.