[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Gundam a good war drama? Having read multiple books on war

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: Bernie_Wiseman_6696.jpg (23KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
Bernie_Wiseman_6696.jpg
23KB, 225x350px
Is Gundam a good war drama? Having read multiple books on war dramas that were actually written well, I can't stress how flawed and bad the "war drama" is done in Gundam. Especially fucking Zeta, like what the hell was that shit ending? I kept hearing high praise about it only left to be disappointed. The only one I saw that got a war story RIGHT in UC was WiTP.
>>
I thought 0079 did a good job at that too.
>>
>>15746690
>he expects good war drama from children's toy commercials
That was your first mistake
>>
File: q.jpg (45KB, 400x287px) Image search: [Google]
q.jpg
45KB, 400x287px
>>15746690
>hurr, why aren't these cartoons featuring giant robots and psychics as well-written as muh bookz???

>15746707
>muh toy commercial bait
Cut your ethernet cable
>>
>>15746690
its good war drama BACK IN 1979
>>
>The only one I saw that got a war story RIGHT in UC was WiTP.

0079 has its moments but I don't really disagree. If you want a classic war drama, 0080 is the best example of that in Gundam.

Personally I think Thunderbolt season 1 manages to do a pretty decent job of it too even in its short running time.
>>
>>15746690

>Implying a toy add has good, well-written stories

KEK FUCKING KILL YOURSELF NEWFAG
>>
>>15746949
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting, though I get what you feel
>>
>>15746949
>le toy ad meme
Fuck off, you're the newfag.
>>
>>15746949
>kek
go back to r/the_donald you retarded faggot
>>
>>15746690
>Is Gundam a good war drama?
It's a 1970's cartoon about giant robots that shoot at each other with colour coded laser beams. It's pretty bloody well written for what it is. But, no let's compare it to War and Peace and complain when it doesn't stack up.
>>
>>15746690
>war drama
Gundam is first and foremost a glorified toy commercial. The presence of a story is secondary to the priority of peddling plastic to young boys and man-child otaku.
>>
Dougram is probably what you're looking for.
>>
>>15746690
Absolutely, if what you want is a samurai war drama instead of the good old American kind.

I legitimately don't know if it was a product of its time or if it's made with the kabuki theatre shit in mind but Gundam is definitely good drama, just somewhat foreign.
>>
>>15747401
lurk more.
>>
why would it not be good if many people like it? good writing is not objective
>>
>>15746690
I am le intellectual I say I have read books TV bad I have IQ
>>
>>15746707
Fine, but the original show was a war drama first and a toy commercial second, literally, he created the concept as a war drama and then modified it for merchandise purposes so he could get it made
>>
>>15746690
>Asks whether gundam is good drama
>then proceeds to say its bad implying he already knows
>he says this while claiming to know about good writing
>>
For the 1970, and for a team of animators, screenwriters, and toy makers, I think 0079 did quite well.
>>
Any Real Robot entry from Ryousuke Takahashi such as VOTOMS or Dougram would be a better match.

Especially Dougram. Though I have to warn you,it is a slow start and is 75 episodes long. But the overarching story and character struggles are well worth it.
>>
>>15746690
>ask a question
>proceed to come your own conclusion right after asking the question

What was the point of this thread?
>>
>>15748451
Being bait, probably.
>>
>>15746690
>especially fucking Zeta
Was willing to believe your opinion until that. You probably think John Wayne movies are good war dramas.
>>
>>15746690
Depends on what you expect from a war drama.

MSG and Zeta are both good at putting characters with extreme/exaggerated characteristics in high-tension scenarios and mining the drama out of it. It's theatrical and melodramatic more than gritty. It rings true thematically though even if it's too flashy to consistently convey the grotesqueness of the violence.
>>
>>15748095
>>15748451
Did you guys not go to school? You don't know what a rhetorical question is?
>>
>>15748965
You're fucking retarded if you think Zeta is well written war drama.
>>
>>15746690
>Is Gundam a good war drama?
Fuck no.

Gundam is essentially a silly toy commercial for kids. The drama aspect is what you would expect a 12 years old to write.
>>
>>15746690
Go watch Taiyou no Kiba Dagram or Votoms if you want to see war done well.
>>
>>15749049
>war done well
>From more toy commercials

Mecha has always been a giant toy commercial. None of them do war right because it's all stupid wind-up robots punching eachother and trekkie shit up in space shooting their lasers at eachother going PEW PEW.
>>
>>15749028
They're all shit. Mecha a shit. People need to stop wasting their money on worthless plastic crap.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.