[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/m/, at what point are you willing to excuse piss-poor writing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

/m/, at what point are you willing to excuse piss-poor writing and plot quality for the sake of cool shit? Do you have a limit?

I ask because I watched all the Evangelion Rebuilds last night for the first time, and other than the declining story quality between each Rebuild - with the last one being absolutely abysmal in terms of pacing, plot, and character - I couldn't help but like all the tech shit, even though some of it like pic related was fucking retarded.
>>
>>15745507
Depends on how cool the shit is.
>>
>>15745524
But what if it's some really dumb shit that's really cool? A flying fortress made out of a whale skeleton that has a plug cockpit for operation is cool but it makes no fucking goddamn sense.
>>
>>15745507
I have a pretty high tolerance for it. I wouldn't say that any DP story is some masterpiece of literature, but they all have nice robot action.

I suppose it just has to look good. That's the number one thing. I don't regret watching Escaflowne, for example, even though I liked almost nothing about it, just because it was a really beautiful looking show. On the other hand, there's a lot of shows like Webdiver that don't have particularly bad stories, but look like such utter ass that they're practically unwatchable.

The only exception to this rule is Zambot 3, which looks quite bad, but the story is so excellent that I don't care.
>>
>>15745561
Have you ever reached your cut off point?
What was it if so?
>>
>>15745574
Cross Ange. Watched it while it was airing. As the show went on, the mecha action got better and more interesting, but the rest of the show went from hilariously bad to confusingly bad and I just couldn't take it anymore. Dropped it 6 episodes from the end.
>>
File: Mazinkaiser_skl_&_wingle.png (160KB, 421x236px) Image search: [Google]
Mazinkaiser_skl_&_wingle.png
160KB, 421x236px
>>15745507
As long as its coherent and cool I can dig it. Doesn't have to be some breath taking story, as long as I'm entertained and it's not absolute tripe I'm fine with it.

Mazinkaiser SKL is pretty basic and is just a 90 minute heavy/power metal music video with a bare bones plot, but the world was interesting and the animation/fights were fucking amazing. I adore SKL.
>>
Cool shit helps me tolerate it, especially if the issue is pacing, but it can only do so much. It also depends on the focus of the story. Bad characters don't matter as much in a plot focused story than in a character focused story and such. First 20 episodes of GaoGaiGar had a bunch of cool shit, but it was pretty boring otherwise and I only tolerated it because of the crazy second half (completely worth it). Escaflowne's mecha shit completely made up for its shoujo shit and awful protagonist.

Full retard is easier to tolerate than boring especially when cool shit is involved though, like with Cross Ange.

>>15745621
Zoned out during episode 2, but 1 and 3 were great.
>>
>>15745507
I think length plays a big part in it, 45-90 minutes is the perfect length for stupid cool shit. Any longer and you run the risk of the stupid overcoming the cool.
>>
If we didn't have a high tolerance for things that were cool but dumb we wouldn't be mecha fans honestly.

That said I find myself preferring movies and short OVAs to full length series most of the time since there's less time for the dumbness to become grating.
>>
As long as the cool shot as a reason for being there and isn't just there to have a cool thing happen then I'm alright with it. It really depends on the show though, and if the established tone allows for it. Shit like EVA 2 turning to a cat is dumb as fuck even by Evangelion standards, but I expect stuff like webm related to happen in a show like Symphogear
>>
>>15745507

It tends to be kinda random. Sometimes I'm watching something silly like SKL and it fails to entertain me even when I'm stoned as fuck because, I dunno, it just lacks some trashy magic?
>>
>>15745561
Zambot 3 and other 70s shows get a pass for me because it was just the style of the era. The very end of Zambot 3 starts to show its true colors and begin to look a lot like Gundam. There are a few moments with really intense and dramatic shading, the Knight mecha, the giant brain, and the images of the Beal and its mechs being ripped apart are really compelling.
>>
>>15745507
2.0 was the borderline, desu. It wasn't tv show in terms of character stuff but it still resembled it in some way, shape or form. And I'll agree that 3.0 is that breaking point. i would say that there is too much going on sometimes in the action scenes, but the everything else but makes it unenjoyable to watch.
>>
>>15745561
>>15745748
Is Zambot really that good? Maybe I should give it a try.
>>
I have less issue with stupid shit than I do with stupid explanations.

Pic related while not /m/ is a perfect example. They try to explain the way shit works and it just doesn't work because anyone with common sense knows THIS CAN'T HAPPEN. This would never hit store shelves. By given a BAD explanation you invited real world logic into the show and it makes the whole premise fall apart.

It's like when Star Trek tries to techno babble but the writers don't know their shit and get facts wrong. Star Wars may not know what a parsec is but they generally either don't explain their rech or just have it be literal magic.

No explanation is better than a bad one
>>
>>15745748
Zambot looks bad even by the standards of 70s art styles. It has some of the least amount of detail and the most QUALITY I've seen. I recall it looking like it was drawn with crayon at times. And while I get that a lot of the other 70s shows don't have much detail either, at least we do get stuff like Daitarn 3 and its gorgeous shading or Daltanious and its fairly rich colors
>>
>>15745894
>no explaination is better than a bad one
I would agree with this ONLY if what we are shown is in a format in which we can create our own understanding.
If something important happens and there's actually no explaination for it, not an offhand remark, not even a visual peek or implication, than it has failed as a visual production.
In my mind, one of those such things is 3.33.
>>
>>15745894
"Sunlight is made of many atoms" is my favourite bad explanation. Fortunately, that movie's so awful that it loops around into a comedy. Many aren't so fortunate.
>>
I kind of got the same thing going on with Appleseed. It's kinda stupid, but the robots are cool I guess.
>>
>>15746067
>"Sunlight is made of many atoms"
>mocking this wisdom
YOUR STUPID MINDS
STUPID
STUPID
>>
>>15745722
Symphogear's whole gimmick (or at least a major one) is how crazy it can be and how it keeps uping the crazy. Latter half of GX aside, it has mostly succeeded. I hope it ends after Season 5 though. There's only so far a show can go before it becomes tired, and no one wants a reboot.
>>
>>15745507
Ask fans of Iron Blooded Ovaries, they know from their epic delusions.
>>
If something still entertains me, I keep watching. If nothing is there that I like, and I'm told it doesn't get better, i drop it.
>>
>>15745607
It's worth finishing if you have nothing else to watch. Did you see them bang?
>>
>>15746217
O B S E S S E D.
Mari Okada living in yer skull rent free.
>>
TTGL at its base is basically that, though it sort of informs you through the line "kick logic to the curb" on what it's going to be.
>>
>>15745556
>But what if it's some really dumb shit that's really cool? A flying fortress made out of a whale skeleton that has a plug cockpit for operation is cool but it makes no fucking goddamn sense.

Well it's still cool in the end. I mean you don't want the Rebuild movies to be your first introduction to the Eva story but as some kind of crazy remix with cool action and music, I like it a lot. It's weird. Most mecha anime is just boring.
>>
>>15746329
Cool mouth, does it talk with dialogue?
>>
>>15746469
I actually didn't like the guitar segments in the rebuilds. They just didn't work for me.
But this. This I like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdKrEWu_HN0
>>
>>15746215
>>15746067
explain
>>
>>15746596
Plan 9 From Outer Space. There's a decent MST3K of it, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>15745507
I got to Mari in 2.22 and said I was done. I don't like her. She just doesn't jell with me. She doesn't belong in EVA.
>>
>>15746978
As I understand it, she was literally an afterthought.
>>
File: 1501809096478.jpg (204KB, 740x400px) Image search: [Google]
1501809096478.jpg
204KB, 740x400px
>>15747218
That makes too much sense.
Though some boys over on /a/ are saying that she's very similar to 'Mana' a character in one of the 'official' dating VNs.
Literally mari but without glasses, and shorter hair
>>
>>15747264
>that asuka
>>
>>15745722
is this w101
>>
Cool stuff must be top priority if the plot is fucking retarded desu
have to keep attention some how
>>
File: 1484606727248.jpg (54KB, 636x474px) Image search: [Google]
1484606727248.jpg
54KB, 636x474px
>>15747264
>>15747271
Baka Shinji you're gonna take responsibility right ?
>>
>>15750434
>impregnating asuka
>cheating on asuka
I literally don't think anyone has the balls for this and if they do they won't for long. She's mentally ill.
>>
>>15746217
hi felcherkun, doing good?
>>
>>15745507
Gundam 00

Those super robots with infinite power source and asspulls every episode. The main idea of the show might be good, but the dialogues are quite retarded "resolving conflicts through understanding" that quite bullshit!
>>
>>15745507
All the time, I watch giant robot shows.
>>
>>15751014
There's nothing too stupid for you then?
Not even the bikini assault?
>>
>>15751820
Nope. That was fine.
>>
>>15751895
But it was super stupid though. They went into Zero G in fucking bikinis
>>
>>15754876
And? What part of being in Zero G means you can't wear a bikini? It's not like they were in space.

Also I'd accept people in space with bikinis, like with the novel Dirty Pair's transparent space suits.
>>
>>15754917
I think my line is drawn when we start fucking with things we already know about and pretty much fully understand.
Spacesuits should be fucking spacesuits, no matter what universe it is. even if it's skin tight, it should look like it serves the purpose.
>>
Gundum Seed. That's it. I don't need to explain further.
>>
File: Geahs of War.webm (3MB, 710x400px) Image search: [Google]
Geahs of War.webm
3MB, 710x400px
>>15746216
This is true. The first season felt like it was chasing the Madoka audience, but had a decent concept at least. The second season floundered a bit, and the third season ramped up the service a little beyond my taste with all the stripping of gears, but at least had that shuttle rescue.

Current season is playing it just right so far - over-the-top action to the point of hilarity.
>>
>>15745507
Wow, that screencap is from the Evangelion remake? Looks like something that could fit in Gurren Lagann.
>>
>>15758084
Really, only the first few episodes of Symphogear were like Madoka. By the end, it went full on crazy.
It was great
>>
>>15754917
Anon, they were attacking a gundam in bikinis with shitty lasers as foot soldiers.
One even got vaporized by the beam sword at close range. It was dumb.
>>
>>15758204
Is symphogear good or is it just moe shit?
Cause >>15758084 webum looks cool but that girl has giant tits and her midsection was unblocked but still blocked everything.
Shell puncher girl looks cool tough.
>>
File: symphogear_MDP.webm (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
symphogear_MDP.webm
2MB, 960x540px
>>15758445
Its hot blooded moe shit.
>>
>>15745894

The general idea of how I think weird tech crap should be defined falls into two categories:

1. There is a perfectly logical explanation for it existing (Hard sci-fi), or
2. Nobody - literally nobody - understands how the hell it works and just knows how to manipulate it (Magic/black box, basically)

The second one's important because just to remove the fourth wall barrier something that we couldn't explain ourselves shouldn't be explainable to the characters in setting, unless they're in an entirely different reality from our own.
>>
>>15758453
Meh. Dunno if it's for me then.
>>
>>15758521
At least give S1 a try.
>>
>>15745894
>>15745621
These two for me, pretty much, since they go hand in hand. A simple story that's cool as fuck is solid in my book. A story that tries to be more clever than it is is cancer.

It's why I'm so tired of the parodical style of so many modern shows. They all try to be so witty and self-referential that they forget to actually be interesting. A silly situation? Funny. A silly situation while the characters constantly denote they're in a silly situation? Obnoxious.
>>
>>15758947
>"A silly situation? Funny. A silly situation while the characters constantly denote they're in a silly situation? Obnoxious."

While it doesn't entirely relate to the thread topic, that's kinda just anime in general.
Nothing really seems to be as committed as it could be to its story or situation where I feel like they sometimes just do the anime/cartoon/media equivalent of "just kidding" and make the situation or even the whole episode pointless to begin with.
>>
>>15759148
It relates in way, depending on the context. Something can be totally cool/interesting, but like, a lot of stuff nowadays can have a really hard time just letting things be outstanding on their own, which really sinks it for me. Or even things that would be hilariously bad if so much attention wasn't drawn to it.

As a whole it tends to influence everything else into not daring to be serious, which makes me sad.
>>
>>15758222
No it wasn't. It had a reason in context, it was a cool scene, handheld weapons have been used against mobile suits before and it was supposed to be weird.
>>
>>15759888
Maybe it did, but that was kind of my cutoff point. I thought it was super dumb.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.