[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Newfag here

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Don't know if this is where I'm supposed to ask this. I want to get into the mecha genre of anime. what are some essential mecha anime to watch. I want to start with the older stuff like grendizer. The gundam series seems overwhelming so I'd rather steer clear from it.
>>
>>15744548
Gundam is actually a good starting point if you want older stuff, the original 1979 series easily falls into that category and is quite enjoyable by itself.

If you know Grendizer, Mazinger Z is found on Nyaa in proper English in its 92 episode glory, plus movies. There's stuff Like Combattler, Voltes V, Daitarn, Dairugger, Daltanious, etc. You may have to do some searching for torrents of these, but they're there.
>>
Oh yeah also Dougram and VOTOMs are great.
Xabungle n' Ideon are also nice.
>>
>>15744563
>>15744566

alright thanks. Im saving your posts for future reference. Guess ill start off with getter robo or something and then move on to gundam.
>>
>>15744548
There is nothing that's essential, only stuff that's good. Trust me, mecha is far, far too varied to have anything that could be considered "historically important required viewing;" even Mazinger and Gundam only have influence that goes so far before you run into stuff that is clearly not even close to either of them, such as Giant Gorg. This is part of why mecha isn't a genre.

Anyway, if you're into older stuff, I'll list my top three favorites by decade, bearing in mind that we're missing subs for a lot of stuff and I haven't seen everything

70s
1. Zambot 3 - Absolute classic, hands down best 70s show, amazing plot, characters and concept. Awful artwork and animation though
2. Mazinger Z - As one of the very first, it did a lot of stuff its imitators never did and managed to keep a consistent overarching pace. It's just fun.
3. Daltanious - Very little filler, almost every episode is plot, character or worldbuilding. Fun characters, great music.

80s
1. Gunbuster - Short, impressive action and animation, great music, more character in 6 episodes than most shows achieve in 50. It's a masterpiece.
2. Galactic Cyclone Bryger - Awesome, unique premise, some of the strongest episodic plots I've ever seen, fabulous music, great animation
3. Mellowlink - Some of the most creative mecha fights in fiction. It's all I need, really.

90s
1. Getter Robo Armageddon - Interesting plot and all around great presentation. Got me into mecha. ATSUKU NARE
2. Tekkaman Blade - Strong characters, great designs, uses tragedy more effectively than most shows
3. Dai-Guard - One of the funniest, most unique and cleverest mecha shows out there, has no flaws, everything about it is great, just not so great that it overtakes the above works

00s
1. s-CRY-ed - consistently great hot-blooded action and animation. Lovable characters. Mecha X-Men.
2. Gravion - Inventive fight scenes, great designs and music, Sandman
3. Gun X Sword - Great use of its own premise, strong worldbuilding
>>
>>15744763
(cont.)

2010s
1. Tiger & Bunny - Cool mystery that left me guessing. Strong character building based around that. Not the best CGI, fair warning.
2. Majestic Prince - Some of the best use of CGI action out there. Fun story and characters that don't take themselves seriously, doesn't try to do anything stupid like many shows these days
3. Fafner Exodus - Added a few layers of intrigue on top of the original Fafner and pumped up the action scenes to become awesome. Very strong plot and worldbuilding.

Honestly, it was really hard to pick a top 3 for the 90s, that's where I think mecha peaked. There's all sorts of great 90s shows I couldn't mention, Iron Leaguer, Giant Robo and The Big O to name a few. 2010s by contrast have very little competition apart from what I listed. It hasn't been a great decade for mecha

Also, my actual favorite of the 2000s is 2004 Tetsujin, I had forgotten about it briefly. I legitimately think it's the best mecha show I've ever seen for a variety of reasons, it's just not the most fun to watch.
>>
>>15744771
>>15744763
Thank you so much for your insight anon. screencaped for future reference.
People on this board are nice. I appreciate that.
>>
>>15744569
If you want to start with Getter, start with the Manga, also, there are like 6 series from the 70's to the 2000's.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.