[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Side scroller Mech Game Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: Metal_Warriors_(SNES)_06.png (10KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Metal_Warriors_(SNES)_06.png
10KB, 256x224px
So I've been going on a side scroller mecha kick lately, played some for the first time and others I've re-played

So Far I've gone through the following

Target Earth/Assault suits Leynos: kinda rough around the edges, but Decent

Ranger X: Easily the best mech game on the genesis with some neat mechanics as well.

Great Battle IV: Re-played it 5 times, probably one of the best games for the super famicom maybe.

Assault Suit Valken/ Cybernator: Massive improvement over Leynos, despite some awkward control movements. played it twice in a row.

Currently going through Metal warriors, which isn't as good as Valken despite playing very similar to it. I do find the controls to be more fluent and playing as various other mechs is cool.

any other side scroller mech games to check out as well?
>>
File: fmghwlpr04-1024x768.jpg (187KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
fmghwlpr04-1024x768.jpg
187KB, 1024x768px
>>15736305
Front Mission Gun Hazard, it's fully translated too
>>
File: 250px-Wolffang_arcadeflyer.png (172KB, 250x354px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Wolffang_arcadeflyer.png
172KB, 250x354px
>>15736305
Wolf Fang: Arcade/Saturn/Playstation

It's forced scrolling with options to customize your mech. Pretty cool shit. It came out in western arcades as Rohga Armor Force with the moonspeak story segments removed.

Play the Leynos remake for PC/PS4 as well. The same people also made Gunhound EX for PSP and PC which is a pretty solid, short game. There are few other indie Jap games on PC like Gigantic Army that are a little rough but alright.
>>
>>15736552
Got that downloaded, looks pretty neat for a front mission spin off

unlike evolved
>>
>>15736305
GunHound EX is really fun, too bad I'm too trash at it to get anywhere.
>>
File: thumb-36360-1.jpg (138KB, 300x428px) Image search: [Google]
thumb-36360-1.jpg
138KB, 300x428px
>>15736878
>>
>>15736305
Armored Police Metaljack also got its own side scrolling fighting game.
>>
>>15736577
These wolf fang mechs look kinda UC esc, so I like that.

How does the leynos remake compare to valken?
>>
>>15737198
Valken is still the better game but it fixes a lot of the things that were annoying about Leynos and it looks nice.
>>
>>15736881
isn't that suppose to be bad?

I mean I love Metal jack, but I'd still play it.
>>
>>15736305
Did an American company really made the Metal Warriors game? I find the hard to believe, because it was too good.
>>
>>15737962
Yes. Lucas Arts. Specifically the same team responsible for Zombies Ate My Neighbors.
>>
>>15737972
did they make anything else?
because for real their shit's tight, they can hang with the big boys
>>
>>15737974
According to an interview with the head of that team there was going to be a sequel to Metal Warriors on GBA but it got canned unfortunately.
>>
>>15737972
Amazing, back in 1995, most ppl in the US never even heard of Gundam, but the team seemed to have a perfect understand of the mecha style. I thought the team would most likely full of Japs/asian mecha fags.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/563216-metal-warriors/credit
>>
>>15738007
In Metal Warriors mecha design I can see inspiration from Gundam in Nitro, with its beam weapons. I admit that sound too broad but on the other hand Havoc is clearly a Zaku, with shoulder shield, machine gun, and axe-like melee weapon.
And I can't help seeing Zeong in the final boss.
>>
>>15736305
I fucking loved Cybernator as a kid. I wish all my SNES games hadn't disappeared.
Also Metal Warriors is at it's best when you're having mech fights with your friends, its single player is strictly inferior.
>>
File: 7e3.jpg (31KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
7e3.jpg
31KB, 600x750px
>>15738622
I wouldn't be surprised 20 years later and found out the game actually created by a Japanese team. Lucas Arts brought it, and never credited the original team members. Somewhat like Robotech in the US.

The game play really ahead of it's time. Nitro's sword, you can control it to swing up,down, or poking straight. Wish I can do the same in Armored Core.
>>
>>15740123
i believe i read somewhere that they purchased the game engine for assaults suits valken , tweaked a little it and released it as metal warriors.

i´ll try to find that source again
>>
>>15740222
really, interesting. I played Assaults suit valken back then, thought the controls was similar to MW.
>>
>>15738007
>>15738622
>>15740123
Harrison Fong was responsible for the mecha design though I can't find out anything about him.

There might be some Gundam influence there, these guys were certified super-geeks, but I always figured they were just trying to emulate Valken.
>>
>>15740222
The rumors were that it was originally meant to be an Assault Suits games but there's no relation between the two series and they built their own engine. A quote from Dean Sharpe who worked on the game:

>Mike Ebert and myself made it from scratch after finishing ZAMN. So no, it was not a spin off of anything. As far as the idea, we just wanted to work on something head to head with a more serious note after doing ZAMN. The only other part of the story was that Nintendo was originally going to publish it. We even did about 3 months worth of changes by their request. Then at the last minute they decided that it was too much like Cybernator and the deal got nixed. It was then we went back to Konami whom had also published ZAMN. The only other name it ever went by was Battle Droids.
>>
>>15741153
Yes, the Zaku rip off in metal warriors is actually a second hand zaku rip off. They were ripping off the zaku rip off from Valken/cybernator.
>>
>>15740222
>>15740882
Definitely not the same engine. They have similar controls but the way things move and are rendered are completely different, as well as the metal warriors engine having features like getting in and out of mechs on the fly with totally different controls.
>>
>>15741153
>>15741180
>>15741172

I need to track down this Harrison Fong guy for some questioning. The mechas designs are quite original, I wouldn't say rip-off of anything.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.