[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the original Gundam a Pacific War analogy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

Is the original Gundam a Pacific War analogy?
>>
No, but you could draw comparisons if you'd like to.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 590x385px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 590x385px
It was an analogy for all of world war 2 with mobile suit developments being stand ins for the development of tanks, aircraft, ships, etc. that happened throughout the whole war
>>
>>15736025
In setting perhaps (space = ocean, mobile suits = fighter, space carriers = aircraft carriers, etc) but not much else.

The Federation nor Zeon easily match up with either the Americans or Imperial Japanese.
>>
>>15736025

Not really, uniforms might have a passing resemblance to allied and axis uniforms though.
>>
>>15736025
No it's an analogy of the Six-days war.
>>
>>15736123
Zeon didn't have to give up its gains on Earth because of a Treaty, but because they were BTFO by EF forces.

How did you come about this comparison?
>>
>>15736155
IIRC, Tomino himself said the Israel/Palestine conflict was on his mind when he was making it. Can't find my source though, I could have imagined it.
>>
File: 1420052596050.jpg (447KB, 2000x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1420052596050.jpg
447KB, 2000x1075px
>>15736162

You're thinking of Turn A, not MSG

http://www.colonydrop.com/the-last-good-gundam-turn-a-gundam/
>>
>>15736025
No, but the show's themes evolved from post-WWII societal perspectives on war in Japan.
It's been a while but I read somewhere about Tomino growing up in the aftermath of the war being a detrimental influence on the series.
>>
>>15736025
It's kinda hard because Zaku II equivalent is Panzer IV. not a plane.
>>
Zeon is Imperial Japan, EF is postwar 60s Japan.

>>15737164
>detrimental
Yeah to people who think Zeon was in the right.
>>
we can assume:
Japanese imperialist ambitions = Contolism and/or whatever the Zabis turned it into
US-led oil embargo = EF sanctions on Munzo
Pearl Harbour = Operation British
Earth Invasion = December 1941
the rest writes itself

but what is left out is the entire 30+ year preamble where Japan annexes Korea, Manchuria, decimates the KMT early on but gets stalemated around Changsha and bogged down by communists elsewhere

So maybe it is better to say Origin through August 0079 is an analogue to the Sino-Japanese War, and America is the Gundam?
>>
>>15738123
I would say Zeon's journey from Contolism to "Zabism" (or whatever you want to call it) is more like French Revolution to Napoleonic France and/or Bolshevik USSR to Stalinist USSR.
>>
It's just a space war series. Nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>15738156
How unimaginative you are.
>>
>>15738152
>I would say Zeon's journey from Contolism to "Zabism" (or whatever you want to call it) is more like French Revolution to Napoleonic France and/or Bolshevik USSR to Stalinist USSR.

The Russian analogy would only hold if the Zabis were part of the Zaibatsu that built the colonies or directly inserted into the colonies by them to mess shit up good...

the napoleonic analogy would only hold if Contolism was more than a dude ranting and everybody getting on his ride because it's the one way to get some more independance that makes sense.

Really, the whole situation on the colonies very much feels like the general postwar anticolonial struggles slipping into dictatorships rather than any of the Euro experiences.
>>
>>15738638
Yeah there's allusions to real life but it's just meant to sell Bandais.
>>
>>15739156

Just as ALL entertainment is meant to turn a profit, sure, but that doesn't mean there aren't underlying themes and messages.
>>
File: B-29.jpg (2MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
B-29.jpg
2MB, 2560x1600px
>>15744883

Naw senpai, Gundam is the Atomic bomb and White Base is Enloa Gay
>>
>>15744883

The Enterprise is a vastly overestimated ship
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.