[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I miss this fucking game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 14

File: armored_core_2_01_1600.jpg (243KB, 1600x1176px) Image search: [Google]
armored_core_2_01_1600.jpg
243KB, 1600x1176px
All the new ones are shit. There aren't even any new ones anymore. Dark Souls is fucking gay and it's a real fucking shame all the US neckbeards are into fucking hobbits and elves and dwarves and magic and shit. Dark Souls is punishingly difficult? Fuck you and fuck RPG's, AC was a real skill game that you could finesse your way out of any bullshit.

A shooter with sustained three dimensional movement, but not fucking crazy like some stupid gundam anime shit with no respect to inertia, nor is it frustratingly sluggish like mechwarrior or hawken or whatever sad remnant of mecha games exist in current year, PVP where there was as much competition in the hangar bay as there was in the arena, where customization wasn't limited to some gayass skill tree bullshit--improvements in one area *always* meant compromise in other areas, this was a game of multiple simultaneous skills, of movement, of aiming, of resource management, terrain, enemy loadouts versus your own...

I miss this fucking game
>>
File: 20170721_115427.jpg (4MB, 2543x4339px) Image search: [Google]
20170721_115427.jpg
4MB, 2543x4339px
>>15733234
Then play it on a ps2 emulator. It'll probably run better on it than an old ps2 anyway
>>
File: yes.png (133KB, 550x770px) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
133KB, 550x770px
>>15733234
Controls were shit though. All shoulder buttons for camera controls.
>>
>>15733234
i agree , wish they could port the games to pc or something . i would play them :/
>>
>>15735263
git gud fag
>>
>>15735684

GIT GUD SO DEVS DONT HAVE TO
>>
>>15735723
they already did 13 years ago
>>
>>15735733

Jokes aside, shoulder buttons camera wasn't exactly the hottest shit.
>>
>>15735733
>>15735745
It isn't like From improves either.
>in Dark Souls evade, sprint and jump are all on the same button
>>
>>15735745
wasn't a problem most of the time

it did make the original's final mission way fucking harder than it should've been though. trying to land on moving platforms with those camera controls is the shittiest thing ever
>>
You know, OP didn't really do a good job selling this series. Sounds like shit, actually.
>>
>>15735772
Turns out that behaving like a condescending prick about things you like makes other people inclined to hate them. Who knew?

Not most of /m/, I'll tell you that for free.
>>
>>15735748
>evasion, another form of evasion, and evasion by means of clearing small pitfalls

>not on the same button

Besides starting with Dark2 they allowed you the option of having the jump command be issuable via clicking in, what, R3 or whichever one wasn't the target lock stick-button.

Which was stupid, because you still needed to be in run. The jump command was clearly intended to be a modified form of roll in the sense that you do it in mid run, but I guess some players felt hold-then release-then tap immediately wasn't intuitive or something?

The thing about shoulder aiming that I don't think a lot of people appreciate is it let you keep your thumb on the face buttons, whereas analog aiming occupies your thumb time and makes some inputs awkward due to you sacrificing the ability to look and turn for a brief moment.

Inherent design flaw of the majority of twin analog controls though, and the idea of grip paddles and extra buttons for the unused fingers holding the controller have not quite caught on yet beyond the Steam pad and Xbone Elite controller.
>>
Controls were shit bro
>>
>>15736108
>The thing about shoulder aiming that I don't think a lot of people appreciate is it let you keep your thumb on the face buttons, whereas analog aiming occupies your thumb time
But all the important shit you're using 95% of the time (weapons and boosting) are re-mapped to the shoulder buttons, and just FEEL a whole lot smoother to handle than having to make minute adjustments with an input method (pressure sensitive button) that just isn't suited to that kind of precision (unlike analogue sticks, which are). If you're using a face button it's usually a quick tap to switch weapons or something. A far cry from the likes of Silent Line and trying to mash potentially three buttons (right weapon, left weapon and boost) with your one thumb.

And putting that aside, having your vertical and horizontal camera controls mapped across both types of input (as pre-Nexus AC does) is clunky as FUCK.
>>
>>15736206
Yeah but fundamentally, from a HOTAS perspective, you lose 4 buttons in exchange for analog input plus a stick button, which leads to some weird compromises. I'm of the opinion controls got better starting with 4th gen provided you tweak them a bit from the vanilla standard, but there was a tradeoff to be had back in 3rd gen and prior to implement analog aiming, especially in light of how advanced the inputs could get in stuff like gen 3 part ejection.

The issue of gains and losses in controls really became apparent to me when I ran through the PSP ports of 3, SL and LR, wherein by LR there were noticeable gains and losses to be had between learning the default controls and being able to make use of all game features, vs changing them to be more player intuitive but at the cost of barring you from stuff like hangar weapons due to stuff like losing the eject command input.

It's a bunch of small nuances that don't really get noticed until you find yourself dry humping the limitations of the game itself.
>>
DESU I enjoy the controls in the ps1&ps2 AC games.

Admittedly they are clunky at first. But once you get used to them they really allow you to do a lot. There really was no other way to map those controls for that amount finesse on a ps1 controller. Being able to control your boost, weapons, all camera controls, and strafing concurrently is still amazing to me desu.

Also shadow tower uses almost the exact same controls but in a first person perspective. That game oever all is much more clunky than the first armored cores too.
>>
File: DGCrpaDVwAANoyG.jpg large.jpg (54KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
DGCrpaDVwAANoyG.jpg large.jpg
54KB, 500x600px
>>15733234
Sooooo, what the fuck's your point?
You're mad that Dank Souls is more recognized than AC? And.. yelling about it on /m/ does something about it. Which probably ended in more people hating the series than before. Jeez the AC community just continues to find various ways to disappoint me.

Also the series always had good ideas but piss poor execution. Its FROM's fault for never fixing the fundamental flaws with it and its the fanboys fault for never demanding better quality.
>>
I've never, ever been able to enjoy Armored Core. Probably even less so now since I acknowledged all the external lore which uses anime characters too but that's me being selective.

I played the very first one but don't remember too much about it. The next one I played years later was For Answer and I could never get into it. The last one I played was V and the game has so much going on visually that I could never play it for any longer than 10 minutes.

Games that also heap on the customisation to the point in which it's nearly endless also really turn me off, I'd rather play through something and think of different ways I can approach the next level or mission with a reasonable amount of choices.
>>
>>15736337
>Games that also heap on the customisation to the point in which it's nearly endless also really turn me off,
Then why in the world would you even try the series so much? Extensive customisation is such an absolutely central part of what makes Armored Core that they literally put it on the tin; there's invariably some bullet pointed list that includes something to the effect of "Over 200 parts!". You'll forgive me if I sound rude, but it's a bit like not liking big long elaborate overly involved stories and then repeatedly trying to get into Final fantasy or something.

Anyway it's obviously not to your tastes and you should really pack it in now and look for a simpler customizable robot game.

Like Front Mission Evolved.

Nah, just kidding, that game is terrible. The best I can say is that it was worth the fiver I spent on it.
>>
I really liked 3 and Silent Line but couldn't really get invested in 4
>>
>>15736443
The problem is "over 200 parts!" but in reality only 5% of them work due to that FROM balance. AC's never had the "freedom to create" as advertised and it became even worse when they switched to multiplayer centered gameplay in V and VD. The min/max of the games is so extreme that the list of parts that are deemed utterly useless increase with each installment.

>>15736337 was saying he wanted the choice in parts to be more meaningful and deepen the gameplay as opposed to a crap ton of paperweights in your garage.
>>
>>15733234
>hobbits and elves and dwarves

So you haven't actually played Dark Souls.
>>
>>15736443
It was worth five bucks and a wasted afternoon, yes.

I feel bad for any idiot who bought it brand new at full price.
>>
>>15736524
The overwhelming bulk of parts work just fine, it's just that there's a lot of complacency where people just stick with the same handful of parts (largely because everyone else uses them) rather than bothering to experiment and try other stuff out. I've messed around with all kinds of different shit that was perfectly functional. Like, I've made more NEXTS than I can remember and next to none of them had the boring 'two rifles' setups that everyone used online. Barring silly gimmicky just for novelty stuff like the Torus assault cannon nothing in that game is unusable.

>it became even worse when they switched to multiplayer centered gameplay in V and VD
This is mainly the case because it led to the design decision to group parts under categories then give everything in that category broadly similar stat distribution, such that e.g. a given sniper will invariably resist mainly CE weapons because all the parts that provide stability/accuracy/etc are set up that way. Even so, there's still variance within those pigeonholed roles.
>>
>>15733234
you're an asshole and armored core sucks
>>
I only liked their Another century's episode. Gay souls and armored core were shit.
>>
>>15733234
>>15733234
This fucking rumor about ac6 in development better be fucking true.
From retweeting about the 20thanniversary poll is not enough.
>>
>>15736802
There have been rumors about AC6 since Verdict Day was released. Disregard them automatically until something concrete materialises.
>>
>>15736802
Almost all of ththe AC series staff members were fired though. Some made their own company and are making a game for PC with Unreal while others joined Squeenix and are making a Front Mission.
>>
>>15736108
Hundreds of hours in every souls game here, jump on L3 was a tremendous improvement because it allowed you to jump instantly and negated the problem of accidental jumps when you're sprinting around and have to roll.
>>
File: 13341646095.png (43KB, 285x280px) Image search: [Google]
13341646095.png
43KB, 285x280px
>>15733234
What if From made GUNDAM Souls?
>>
File: 1de.gif (940KB, 627x502px) Image search: [Google]
1de.gif
940KB, 627x502px
>>15736884
>Some made their own company and are making a game for PC with Unreal
>>
>>15736595
Its not the players fault for not experimenting, Its the devs fault for not balancing the stats to give tradeoffs between making different choices between parts. For instance, there's no downside to playing with two rifles and cheesing your way through FA besides being boring. Well I'm glad you had fun using everything you could in that game in what I assume was the single player campaign, but from a multiplayer perspective it was a fucking nightmare. Not even adding in the problem with teleporting. There's a big difference between being functional and being viable.

Like I get it, you like the mixed bag of hundreds of parts, not saying that's not fun, but future games like AC need to learn to add more tradeoffs and meaningful selection between parts than AC did or else they will fail just as hard.
>>
>>15736905
>needing to roll when you've committed to sprint
>>
So, what do you guys think of 3D Dot Game Heroes? You can least play as a pre-set White Glint avatar in that, even though the game is a Zelda clone.
>>
>>15736973
>Start as a lowly GM or Zaku.
>Everything is a better mobile suit and can basically one hit kill you.
>Die a lot.
>Carefully kill things for scrap to slowly improve your suit.
>Eventually enhance your grunt to be more powerful than the greatest of super prototypes.

I could dig it.
>>
From have said that a new AC game is in the planning phase, and interest in AC has actually been growing rapidly of late. Prices for the games on ebay are already shooting up.
>>
>>15737135
>not balancing the stats to give tradeoffs between making different choices between parts
Almost all parts are viable.

>there's no downside to playing with two rifles and cheesing your way through FA besides being boring
There's also no downside to using machineguns, or lasers, or missiles, or blades, or grenade launchers or pretty much anything else.

> from a multiplayer perspective it was a fucking nightmare
Yeah, no. Any game with a multiplayer community and ANY measure of customisability or user choice will fall prey to this kind of complacency. Tier lists will come out, and then everybody will just use the same old shit because it's what they think will give them the best chance of winning. Why in the everloving fuck would you take a game about crafting something to your preference and tastes and then use it just to play an online mode where everyone uses builds that are mathematically optimal because nerds on the internet say so. This is a problem that plagues any multiplayer community because people are shits and groups of them are worse. Armored Core has good single player. Stick with that instead.

My own NEXT had all the 'wrong' design choices' it was a heavy, it had all the big impractical cumbersome guns instead of the dull dependable rifles, and it was comically overweight (in For Answer, I remind you). And out of the (limited) amount of multiplayer I partook in, I actually won a few matches with it, so clearly it wasn't as useless as it should be.
>>
>>15737161

This was basically Target in Sight/Crossfire.
>>
>>15737207

Heavies were perfectly service in 4A multiplayer, especially if you cheesed it and loaded up a tonne of homing missiles to keep the dual blades running around until they overheat
>>
>>15737223
I didn't. What I did take was the biggest grenade launcher I could still fit on one shoulder, the one with the huge blast radius and long reload time. Yeah, everyone just uses the Oigami or the Sapla so they can have tons of ammo or have a grenade launcher at barely any weight. But I liked hitting everything in the same postcode.

And again, I stress: OVERWEIGHT heavy. Actually, it's kind of amazing just how far over the supposed safe limits you can load those SUNSHINE legs. GA sure builds things sturdy.
>>
>>15736443

>Then why in the world would you even try the series so much?

Only way to form an opinion really is to try your hand at something so I did that and thought with the time between For Answer and Verdict Day I could have been able to hack it. I was wrong.
>>
>>15733234
You know what people really liked? Zone of the Enders 2, so they made the games really REALLY fast like in Zone of the Enders 2
>>
>>15737247
It's true that you can't really form a worthwhile value judgement about a series without playing it, but what you CAN do is form an impression of whether or not it's your cup of tea, and investigate or pass up on it based upon that. I love Armored Core, but the same universal gameplay elements that hook me are off-putting to you, and that's fine! Chalk it up as a loss and find something more to your own taste. But don't play something you hate in the hopes that maybe it'll make you stop hating it, because odds are you'll just end up hating it even more, then end up entirely too salty on Korean paper crafting message boards about it like so many others before you.
>>
>>15733234
>AC2
Buddy ol' pal, as much as I love 2 it doesn't hold a candle to LR.
Wish the Disengage Limiter was still a thing though, that's one of the few things I miss about 2, together with some parts.
AA still has the best posterboy AC design of all time though.
>>
>>15737017
It's already on steam greenlight
>>
>>15737223
>>15737235
We had a couple of 4A rooms on /m/ back in the day. There was a time when some shitposters complained about how the balance was shit and only dual rifle builds were viable in multiplayer and when we ran rooms it was always the gatling tanks and grenade quads winning in the end.
>>
>>15737368

Man, that sounds like a lot of fun. I wish From would port some of the older games to PC if they revive the franchise to drum up hype.
>>
>>15737386
We also had themed rooms like one where the only weapon allowed was the killdozer punch. Those were really great.
>>
>>15733234
I liked For Answer
I just wish that it was harder
>>
>>15737359
how's about a name, friend
>>
>>15737207
>Almost all parts are viable.
I hope you're talking about 4th gen and not 5th which has literal "junk parts." In which case, physical blades "Kiku" while not fighting a blader.

>Weapon Downsides
The downside of energy weapons was they used the same energy as your thrusters, so more energy weapons means less maneuverability. You're sacrificing being able to move and fire at the same time without energy problems. That's one example. Also if what you said was true, then that would be the EXACT reason why AC's combat was broken. No Tradeoffs = highest damage wins, and that gets boring.

>Multiplayer
I've heard this argument time and time again and its getting old. Meaningful tradeoffs and in 5th gen's case, combat roles, reduce the amount of cookie cutters in an online environment. The only time a game devolves into cookie-cutter simulator is if the only thing everyone has to worry about DPS and no other stat matters. I guess only people who experienced ACV patch 1:01 would understand how fucking incompetent FROM is at weapon balance. Also they have a game like that with all those parts to express yourself, its called Gundam Breaker 3 go play dress up there. Also, jesus fuck man you think AC's single player (ANY OF THEM) is worth a damn? Go play Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries and come back to me about playing a meaningful single player experience.

The guys who defend AC as it is and think its all the players fault why it failed need to get better material. You're all just parroting each other at this point.
>>
>>15737515
I forgot but it's been posted here before, the jousting thing. It was at bit summit too, I think it won an award?
>>
>>15737575
>play GB3 for dressup
I would if the gameplay weren't shit and the parts weren't random fucking drops
>>
>>15737638
Wait I thought that rumor was a joke... you're saying that Chariot game is actually made by the fired FromSoft AC team?

I'mma need a source for that.
>>
>>15737657
Google the staff member names, it's on ther Linkedin profiles.
>>
I like Dark Souls and avidly await the next A.C. Now what, OP?
>>
File: IMG_4031.jpg (93KB, 691x531px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4031.jpg
93KB, 691x531px
>>15737907
>>15737657
The names of the other devs have been taken down, this guy also removed his name and references to From from the MA website.

One can only guess that From told them to knock off promoting themselves as the former AC team.

There are English articles on the other guys who went to Squeenix for Front Mission, forgot their names but one was a director IIRC. IT'S
>>
>>15737939
>The new Front Mission game is being developed by Square Enix Japan in conjunction with the former producer for Armored Core, Toshifumi Nabeshima. At Nabeshima’s former company, From Software, he created Chromehounds for Sega and Armored Core V.
>>
>>15737939
Well holy shit... Thanks for the info man.
>>
File: great.jpg (63KB, 848x900px) Image search: [Google]
great.jpg
63KB, 848x900px
>>15738026
>chromehounds and ac5
>>
>>15738041
Nabeshima was behind almost all the ACs besides AC4 and ACFA. Those were Miyazaki's projects.
>>
>>15737939
>>15737907
I'mma need a stronger source than that. Sorry can't find dev team on Linkedin since I can't moonrune. Also, dude who knows moonrunes said that screenshot was about voice actors.
>>
>>15738161
Literal retard
>>
>>15738161
That's the twitter and linkedin accounts of the company's CEO with his full name on both and From Software listed as a former employer on the latter you brainless cunt, the contents of the tweet have nothing to do with it. Are you seriously so fucking retarded that even with bright red circles around the important parts you whine about completely unrelated bits being unrelated?

Kill yourself.
>>
>>15738161
is this bait
>>
>>15738041
Shitty article written by video game "journalists" who think the Xbox360 was the first console ever.

Nabeshima is behind ALL the ACs except for the 4 series.

>>15738161
That pic is a cap of the linkedin with From Software listed as a former place of work. Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>15737657
>>15738161
>I'mma
>>
>>15738197
>>15738053
4 and 4A were the only good ACs tho.
>>
>>15738161
>full name, company, and former employer listed
>"hurrrrr bud dis odder parts talks abot sumtin else!!!"

No shit?
>>
>>15738053
I still don't get how the fuck it is that the one Souls game Miyazaki DIDN'T work on is the only one with the best feature from AC4/A (stuff actually changing on higher difficulties).
>>
>>15737235
Amateur. Real men use the grenade arms and a left grenade back weapon for triple grenade action.
>>
>>15738161
(you)
>>
>>15735263

controls were great for their time. Rise of dual analog put fromsoft in a bit of a pickle though. AC distinguished itself from your typical FPS setups in that it required dedicated easy access buttons for button mashing for:

1. jumping/booster
2. left and right strafing

a bumper jumper layout in a dual analog setup could alleviate #1, but #2 always suffers when strafing is mapped to a stick, not to mention all the other functions the game necessitated. still, i'll admit it was always a deserved criticism of the franchise
>>
>>15736316

my point? what the fuck did you say to me? I'll have you know I'm an ex-navy seal blahblahblah

there is no point, just a solitary lament of a series long dead broham
>>
>>15736532

nope, I haven't. But I can still lament about how there's too much of this D&D, medieval, tolkeinsian fantasy aesthetic in video games and pop culture in the US and not enough of /m/echa

quick, name three AAA fantasy titles, then try to do the same with mecha

magic is fucking gay and near future scifi is best
>>
>>15737575
>I hope you're talking about 4th gen
I was. Though in Vth gen's case, 'almost all' would leave room to exclude junk parts'

>The downside of energy weapons was they used the same energy as your thrusters
Which is why I've never been partial to them. Yet it seems everybody else who plays AC loves them to death, so clearly the are usable. On the other hand, in older AC games it wasn't usually super hard to ensure you had enough energy to support at least one energy weapon, and in 4th gen you have so much energy it's forgiving enough to stretch to more than that.

>No Tradeoffs
I did NOT say that, stop putting words in my mouth. I said you could use anything, and you can. Different weapons perform in different ways and what you use comes down to personal preference (or should, at least, rather than 'what will perform best according to the current meta')

>Also, jesus fuck man you think AC's single player (ANY OF THEM) is worth a damn?
Yes. I do. (and really, none of them 'worth a damn'? Don't be so hyperbolic)

But what either of us think of it is of no concern, is it? Because it's not quantifiable. I found it engaging, you found it shit, and neither of us has the superior taste for these outlooks.

>Go play Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries
Tried it. Did not care for it. Perhaps the story is great, but I wouldn't know because the handling felt like absolute garbage. Maybe I'll give it another shot if I can justify buying a joystick just for that one game (and hoping it improves the controls enough to be worth it).

> its all the players fault why it failed
Also not what I said. I suggested it's the players' fault online gameplay in general is invariably a terrible experience. No, Armored Core failed because it's a niche title for a niche audience, which is why it will always fail.
>>
I like Armored Core, started with 2 with the PS2 because AC1, MoA and Phantasma wasn't released in Australia for PS1, the gameplay view reminded me of Virtual On but no twin stick play and dashing around like crazy,

I loved every adaption until V and VD, I felt like FROM wanted to cash in on the Cawadoody fan base, like ace combat with assault horizon which I never touched,

I built all my ACs based on looks rather than performance, it was tough and I had my learning curves and battle adaptions because of it, it's part of the joy of the game,

Mech customisation in 4 and 4A felt lacking, it felt like choose a frame arms kit and give it weapons of your choice, mostly due to those 2 games having a few mechanical designers the aesthetics couldn't match, unlike AC2-LR no matter the company your AC still looked like a proportionate AC,

Look forward to AC6 though
>>
>>15737336

My personal fav was SL. Loved LR's speed, but felt a little starved for energy. AC2 was my posterboy, with AA as my close second. Actually, both posterboys in AA looked so badass.

Evangel's a raging homo
>>
>>15737912

Nothing. but magic is still gay :3
>>
>>15738387
Souls isn't about the aesthetic. It's third person melee combat done like no other game series before it. For a scifi version, try The Surge.
>>
>>15738387
The only thing remotely D&D-like in Dark Souls are mimics and maybe the crystal golems.
Even the dragons in the game are weird freakish mutant creatures, the most normal one having a single eye which shoots a tinnitus inducing laser.
>>
Working my way through Nexus right now, but I'm really looking forward to getting to play LR again.

The emulation is rather blurry and indistinct in missions though for some reason, which is weird since everything else is nice and clear. It's a real pain in particularly monochrome areas like the training room where my AC and the ATs become almost perfectly camouflaged into the walls and pillars.
>>
>>15738585
>using magic when ultra-greatswords exist
>>
>people that use meta builds instead of fixing your build through trial and error

it's like the core concept of armored core man
>>
>>15738407
Just one question, do you think ACFA's mechanics and formula should be the standard of the series and absolutely nothing can or should be done to improve them?
That FA just got everything perfect and they should've just cloned it?
>>
>>15738177
Well thank you so much for explaining the picture to me, as opposed to just assuming I automatically knew what the hell I was looking at. You truly are a scholar and a gentleman. lmfao
>>
>>15738924
No I don't, and implied nothing of the sort. I enjoyed every AC game except maybe V.
>>
File: Crossfire Campaigns Small.jpg (989KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Crossfire Campaigns Small.jpg
989KB, 1000x1333px
>>15736973
But how much sense would that even make? I mean, Dynasty Warriors Gundam is fine--it isn't SUPPOSED to make any sense. Gundam Souls, on the other hand...

>>15737220
>tfw nobody liked Crossfire
>>
>>15739140
It wasn't about implication, I was just determining if you were a blind fanboy or not.
>>
>>15738407
Don't fret anon, I agree with you.
>>
>>15738644
>done like no other game series before it
>mechanically identical to KH1 but with more weapon types and a semi-important stamina gimmick
>>
>>15740188
Oh, alright. Don't do that again though, being confrontational like that is definitely not conducive to constructive dialogue and usually just results in two people hissing at each other from across their broadband connections.

For the record, 4A actually is my own personal favourite, but that's just because it clicked with me somehow or other and stuck with me. It wasn't mechanically perfect or measurably superior to the other games, nor they to it (for whatever worth statements on something that was so vague to begin with are good for).
>>
>>15740382
Its saddening that not many people realize this.
>>
Virtua On was better anyway, the controls in AC are shit
>>
>>15740680
I lack the tact of getting a better idea of a person's perspective online without being confrontational unfortunately. But I'll keep that in mind.

My first "serious" AC game was FA, so I can see where it got things right, but I also grew to see its downsides as I explored the other entries of the series as well as other mech titles. Hell, as you said every gen has its shortcomings, my irritation comes from FromSoft consistently making the wrong choices to "improve" the formula. So I refuse to accept the mindset that all of its shortcomings is because its a niche. It just seems like a lazy excuse in my eyes.

What I'm trying to grasp is which elements are worth keeping from the series in general. What worked, what didn't and why. Cause I'm cynical and I no longer trust FromSoft to provide a satisfying experience anymore.
>>
>>15738372
They could have simply mapped strafing to R2/L2 with R1/L1 being for firing your main weapons on each arm and leavint the four buttons for jumping, boosting and sub weapons and leave the camera to the right analog
>>
>>15737149
>What are traps or a surprise enemy
>>
>>15740382
>semi-important
>semi
>>
File: 1464043984721.jpg (97KB, 625x552px) Image search: [Google]
1464043984721.jpg
97KB, 625x552px
>>15737939
>One can only guess that From told them to knock off promoting themselves as the former AC team.
So the success of the Souls games finally devoured From huh?
>>
>>15733234
PSP emulator and problem solved.
>>
>>15740382
>KH1
..kingdom hearts?
>>
>>15733234
Fuck off autist. Youre the worst type of armored core fan
>>
>>15744829
is there even a good armored core fan? even more on 4chan?
>>
>>15737235
>GA sure builds things sturdy.

One thing I really liked about 4 era, is the style they gave to each company, and how their parts show that in some way, I think they had the most "personality" of all companies on the serie.
>>
>>15738227
>stuff actually changing on higher difficulties

man I fucking love that, specially since AC (as with many FROM games) have this minimalistic approach on storetelling and lore, those extra NEXT fights or secret weapons, could change the whole context of the mission or give light to a plot hole if you only play normal mode, shame V and VD didnt have that.
>>
>>15738924
> should be the standard of the series

Nah, yeah it was fun, but it had some flaws here and there, my personal worst, was the difficulty, the game was way to easy all the time, some of the arms fort were just dissapointing (they still look cool as hell for me, even today)

in any case, they could use the mechanics again, and improve some aspects, probably on a spin off or a pre-sequel (maybe the link withing FA and V)
>>
File: TheZodiac.png (292KB, 498x319px) Image search: [Google]
TheZodiac.png
292KB, 498x319px
>>15746350
V had the Zodiac extra fights in Story Mode. You had complete the level a certain way and you got to fight a Zodiac member instead of the regular boss. Didn't add anything to the plot unfortunately.
>>
>>15744829
>>15746319
The only good armored core fans no longer play armored core. lmfao
>>
>>15746337
Oh, for sure. In the past games you'd always have one company that built physical focussed parts with a blocky aesthetic (Chrome, Emeraude, Crest), one that made energy focussed parts with a sleek aesthetic (Murakumo, Zio Matrix, Mirage) and usually a lesser one that makes an assortment of various other odds and ends (Balena, Kisaragi). But 4th gen had that and more, with their catalogues of NEXT parts reflecting their respective design philosophies, like how BFF's tendency to have high stability, good precision and long range targeting all stem from their focus on sniper combat. It even comes across in little ways: BFF made an attempt to break into laser weapons, and while the result is comparatively bulky and crude it still ended up with more range than anything else in its category because even though it was basic it was still a BFF product. It even had small companies that were subsidiaries or associates and highly specialised, like MSAC International, who make all GA's electronics and who near corner the market on missile weapons, or Technocrat, who build nothing but unguided rockets and are mostly still around because they're not worth anyone's time, or Aarisawa, who are mostly a product of their CEO reeeeally liking grenades and armour.

>>15746350
You're operator's dialogue was the best part for me, the way she was just constantly griping over the radio about what bullshit this was until she eventually becomes jaded to it and treats it as a matter of course, like "Oh, what? Two more NEXTS? Yeah, you know how this goes by now."
>>
AC2 was my first Armored Core, I remember getting raped by the game because I didn't know what I was doing

Like on the mission where Strung betrays you
>>
>>15746490
I found the Zodiac more engaging than the actual main plot actually (low bar, admittedly).

Sure it's just the Human Plus eats your soul bit, but looking back on it the execution's actually not bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea1m2goARaM
>>
>>15746509
Serena Haze is best operator
>>
>>15746509
The sole fact that the CEO of Arisawa heavy industries is a NEXT that fights regulary, made wish I could work for him
>>
>>15746528
Zodiac were nice, sadly V order missions were shit most of the time, until MoH enters the scene became somehow fun, but only the AC fights
>>
>>15746522
AC2 had a lot of difficulty spikes so it's probably not best as an entry game.
>>
>>15746555
What about having LR as your first game?
>>
>>15746559
literal death unless you got a nexus save
>>
>>15746567
Its fine as long as you don't try to beat Bolt on your first playthrough. Then again, I was on the PSP version...
>>
>>15746567
>unless you got a nexus save

I wasnt that lucky
>>
>>15746574
I don't understand how people beat LR on psp with those gimped controls
>>
>>15746578
LR's legendary difficulty is because it doesn't have any difficulty curve. It just dumps you right into the frying pan. If you know about the missions beforehand, you can take an easier path. But if you don't, you can be corralled into an unwinnable path (like, the only mission avaiable is against 2 ACs). LR is a little different than the prior ACs because you can just retry a failed mission, or even restart the whole game while keeping your money.

Still, some missions are a bit too tough even for veterans of AC. There's a specific mission where you have to fight 2 ACs (one after the one) that use two different terrain ratings (over water, then over the ground). That mission is probably the hardest mission to S Rank in AC history.

I'm a veteran of the AC games (played all of them in order, except Formula Front), and Last Raven isn't that much more difficult than the other games. There's just more chokepoints.
>>
>>15746585
idk, boredom worked in my case.
>>
>>15746555
I couldn't beat AC2 until I discovered the limiter release.

Limiter release + grenade launcher/laser rifle makes the Arena a whole lot easier too.
>>
The best entry point is probably Nexus, because it's easier and it uses analog controls.
Still, I don't recommend getting one bad habit from it, which is failing missions on purpose (you get enough money even if you fail missions). There are a few difficult missions, but nothing you can't manage.
>>
>>15746607
AC2: AA had a few difficulty spikes, like that black AC you fight in the City Square (everyone remembers it), or the legendary 3-vs-1 AC fight. Yeah, it's 3 ACs vs YOU. Usually you get 1 AC, then 2 ACs, but this mission is against 3 ACs, all at once. It has tons of slowdown too.
>>
>>15746608
nexus is easier for newer people but I think it will be harder to adjust to pre-nexus controls rather than the other way around. I'd just recommend people start from 1, everyone needs to at least play master of arena.
>>
>>15746614
I have a copy of Another Age, but have yet to play it.

Honestly, the main thing I liked about AC2 despite it's somewhat clunky gameplay is the use of Mars as a setting. I thought that was kind of neat.
>>
>>15746593
I always considered LR something like the swang song of AC.

Last game on PS2 and during it last years before PS3, no tutorial and huge difficulty clearly show that the games was meant for veterans, I dont know FROM situation at that time, but seeing how agetec dropped AC after LR, they probably tought they werent going to get another publisher, so they went all out.

Then 4 happens
>>
File: th.jpg (9KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
9KB, 300x169px
>>15746623
Believe it or not, for retro dudes who're trying to play the originals (AC1/ACPP/ACMOA) on an actual PSX or PS2. This controller works wonders. Mostly because of the slanted shoulder buttons. It just felt awesome to me at least.
>>
>>15746627
To me, Another Age feels kinda like filler. There are a ton of missions (102, in total), but almost all of them are the usual "kill those 5 guys in 2 minutes". There are a few difficulty spikes, so the game isn't that easy to a newcomer.

I believe it's the game with the most 2 vs 1 fights in the series. I think there are at least 4 or 5 of them (not counting the 3 vs 1). Even Last Raven only has one 2 vs 1 fight, and you can finish it fast enough that it will be two 1 vs 1 fights instead.

The main gripe I still have with those PS1/PS2 era ACs is aerial combat. Everyone complains about it, because it's actually true. Fighting anything in the air, be it an AC or those fucking flying pods is a chore, and although the Analog controls make it a little better, it's not by much, because you still have things like turning speed. Nexus had a pretty broken system, where you could make a mech move so fast (with underweighting) that even the fastest turning AC couldn't get a lock on it.
>>
>>15746639
yeah that looks like a good controller, I used a ps3 controller and the trigger buttons messed me up a few times
>>
>>15746639
Hah, yes. I had that controller back in the day.
>>
>>15736802
>>15736868

http://kotaku.com/miyazaki-gives-clear-answers-on-the-future-of-dark-soul-1786887531

From almost a year ago but I still have hope.

>>15737506
It may sound like heresy but I wish 4 and FA were remastered and put on PC so they could finally not run like shit

>>15738201
Incidentally they were the only ones directed by Miyazaki... Who is now president at FromSoft.

>>15738924
Actually I do feel this way. Other AC games feel far too restricted... You're in a giant robot and you should feel like a badass.
>>
Besides another karasawa, what was usually the best weapon type to compliment it? I just pair it with a moonbleade for retarded damage but felt like a machine gun coulsve worked.
>>
>>15746671
>You're in a giant robot and you should feel like a badass.
Save yourself the trouble and play Zone of the Enders... or hell Another Century's Episode if you're fiercely loyal to FromSoft.
>>
>>15746687
usually I just use it one handed with a blade if I have the weight since the karasawa is heavy as shit
>>
>>15746645
I agree about air combat. Aerial combat in AC4 was amazing compared to any of the PS2 ACs I've played.
>>
>>15746541
No contest.
>>
>no ace:r 2

they could've made it better.
>>
>>15737161
Sounds like life on Earth after the Getter apocalypse.

I can also dig it.
>>
>>15746593

I'd also add that there were way more human plus ACs in that game, at least in the PS2 era.

I still need to play Master of Arena at some point
>>
>>15746831

meh, felt a touch too Gundam Wing for me. Too much freedom in air combat minimizes use of cover, which seemed like a fairly common complaint during the transition from PS2 to PS3 era.
>>
>>15753132
I think the main point about air combat in those past ACs is that even if you master the controls, you still depend on turning speed, and some opponents can out-turn even the fastest FCS (like Zinaida in Last Raven). The hardest mission in AC1 (save for that final vertical shaft) is ironically that one where you have to fight a few aerial opponents, while waiting for a train to arrive. When you replay the remake of the same mission in AC Nexus, you'll see it's much easier because of the analog controls. I dare say it's 10 times easier. Even the guy who wrote the guide on GameFAQs said the mission is a whole lot easier than it was in AC1.
Because targets will actively try to out-turn you, and if you look up, there's a chance your AC will get in the way (specially if you're using a tank), you WILL get into a situation where the enemy is at your blind spot 90% of the time, and there's nothing you can do except hope the AI forgives your sins or hits a wall. If you look at a few videos of the AC1/2-era tournaments, you'll see why the "bumblebee" moving pattern works so well. It's just fast enough that you can stay on your opponent's blind spot, and the zig-zag makes it unlikely they'll hit with a stray shot.

>>15753109
Hilariously, a few of the ACs also have crippling problems, probably AI/script errors. Vola-Volant, the 2nd AC that appears in the dam mission, is overweight from the beginning (wtf), Mumu tries to attack you with a fucking parrying blade (double wtf), Jack-O is slow as fucking molasses except for the final battle in his path (well, he was slow as molasses in Nexus too).

Still, it surprised me when the first AC I fought (Bolt) had human plus combined with the back laser cannon. Huge ouch. I may be a little biased because I just finished LR a few times the last week, but LR is probably the only game where some missions are unwinnable with one configuration (like tank with energy weapons or quad with double snipers).
>>
>>15753184
Some ACs also have hanger weapons that they never use, or fire at you with stupid shit like orbits or mines even if you're right in front of them and have a strong weapon available.
There was one fight in AC2:AA or AC3 (forgot which one now), where you fight a 2vs1 with two ACs that individually are pretty shit, but together are a force to be reckoned with.

The Gundam Wing combat in 4/FA made it easier to manage multiple opponents too, I think. The 5vs2 in FA isn't really that much harder than, let's say, the 3vs1 in AC2:AA, or one of the final battles in AC3 (1vs1, then 2vs1 in the same stage).

Imagine a 4vs1 in AC2. Unless you were a god, you're royally fucked.
>>
>>15753109
>I still need to play Master of Arena at some point
You'll be on the parking lot a LOOOOONG time, then.
>>
>>15746559
>Contemplating putting PS2 and games away in shed
>AC:LR get brought up
>Contemplating hooking PS2 up again.

Dancing with Crow while dodging suicide drones was the most awesome and terrible thing.
>>
>>15753214
I was just playing it last night, and some of those S ranks still ellude me. I've finished stages losing only 300 AP and shooting everything down, and still got an A. Attack Distribution Center comes to mind.
>>
I never could get the hang of Overboost in LR. Always seemed to be too energy hungry and too heat intensive with too much lead in time to be useful.
>>
>>15753221
If that's the one with the huge fight against Starlings in the end, you have to destroy some generators along the way. They're not marked as "Target".
If you're getting almost no damage and still get an A, the S rank is probably related to:
- Special Additions (destroy special targets)
- Not letting allies die
- Time spent on the mission
- Accuracy

Accuracy can be specially troublesome in missions with those flying MTs. Most missions are very lenient with accuracy, while others are not.
>>
>>15753233
overboost got nerfed hard after 3
>>
>>15753233
It was nerfed in AC3. Still, it's supposed to be used to quickly increase distance to your opponent, not to dodge stuff in the nick of time.
>>
When did dual rifles become something to sneer at? I typically ran a dual rifle set-up in LR with some missile support and a pistol and blade in the hangers.
>>
>>15753243
When your AC needs to lift its left arm to fire everytime.
Still, I use those AST pistols (the ones that have damage comparable to a rifle) in both hands, just to cheese AC fights faster. Saved me in the dam mission.
>>
It's been a while since I've played LR. Correct me on the following:
>TP is the best booster bar none
>Best generator is G91 or 84P
>Dual guns + EO is best DPS
>Mini-sawa is hax if you use the EN magazine
>Dingo2/Cougar2 makes all other MW biped legs near-irrevelant
>>
>>15753258
VULTURE2 or BIRDIE2 are pretty efficient. GULL is an EN hog.
I think the bread-and-butter generator is FUDOH (+ANANDA radiator).
For the legs, I think you may need that segmented one (forgot the name, but it's pretty easy to spot) on stages where you need to carry a lot of stuff while still being a medium biped.

I don't know how you can play as a heavy biped even in long missions. The AP/def increase doesn't really help when you're indoors, and those missions with flying bioweapons are a nightmare either way.
>tfw their vomit take 200 AP, and they fire 3 per second
>tfw there are 4 of them doing it
>5000 AP is gone in three seconds
>>
>>15753243
4th gen: Cause you literally hold triggers till everything in the room dies.
5th gen: lol what the fuck are you doing? Get that weak shit outta here.
>>
>>15740128
That game was just so bad...but if they remade it or similar to it (maybe like GBO) then it'd be a perfect single player UC game. (PS3 Side Stories was also bad)
>>
>>15753209

> parking lot

What? I don't understand the reference
>>
>>15753258
>>15753267

fudoh
> weight: 772
> output: 9514
> cap: 48000
> emergency cap: 3500

g91
> weight: 465
> output: 9990
> cap: 37000
> emergency cap: 2000

g84p
> weight: 576
> output: a sexy 10990
> cap: 30000
> emergency cap: 500

From what I remember, the fudoh was just too heavy and the extra cap didn't outweigh the reduced output for me. Then again all my core parts were picked solely for cool factor, i.e. high drain.

A sexy alternative:

magnolia
> weight: 515
> output: 10350
> cap: 27000
> emergency cap: 5000

fuck me i'm itchin to play this again
>>
>>15753403
he's probably talking about the arena stage where it's a parking lot

don't know why you'd ever fight in there though, it's cramped as shit.
>>
>>15753403
There's an arena stage where you fight in a parking lot. It limits aerial battles (the ceiling is just 2 ACs tall). Thus, it's considered to be easier to defeat almost every arena AC here.

About spending a lot of time here, the arena CD of Master of Arena (remember it has 2 CDs, Story and Arena) has more than 200 Arena battles.
>>
>>15737939
The game looks really early in development, but shows potential. It's like the mechs from Break Blade had children with some Knightmare Frames.
>>
>>15753435
Exactly. Doesn't matter how fast the ai can fly if it's always only a few meters high.
>>
>>15738644
>what is Monster Hunter
>>
>>15733234

I agree with you. I don't get the fascination with fantasy shit. Armored Core and Tenchu really could use a modern update and robots and ninjas > magic shit any day.

Can we turn this into what we want in AC6 thread?

I want something that fuses Ps2 era and Ps3 eras together with bits of Chromehounds and MMO elements. Possibly more of a army customization angle?
>>
>>15756632
>what we want in AC6 thread
Oh fucking god go take that dumb shit to the facebook group.
>>
>>15756632
I wan ACFA for ps4. Fuck Chromehounds, Fuck MMO, fuck the queen, fuck the king, and fuck AC6...may be not yet.
>>
>>15737939
For the love of all that is holy, please give me a name to this project! I can't find it at all!
>>
>>15733234
Funny you mention it, I just finished AC2 yesterday, going to start AC2:AA somewhere this week.

>>15735236
Also, I'm playing on the old ps2 (albeit slim one), the only time it slows down is during missile/anti-missile spam. It once froze, but that's somewhat acceptable given I bought the used game.
>>
>>15733234
>Miyazaki basically said "yeah we're making another, fuck off" when he kept getting nagged about a new Armored Core
Kek, hopefully TGS is where it shows up or something.
>>
>>15756953
http://winter-crown-works.com/merkava/top.html
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.