[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Turn A become the one Gundam series that hipsters like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 15

Why did Turn A become the one Gundam series that hipsters like?
>>
1.It's relatively unpopular in comparison with other Gundam series
2.It has a distinctive setting and aesthetics
3.Slow-paced automatically means more intellectual
4.Storytelling is pretty accessible by Tomino standards
5.By Tomino standards minimal amount of crazy autistic characters for people to bitch about.
And probably more but that is all I can think of offhand.
>>
so you can make a post about it on 4chan when you're lonely with no friends
>>
>>15728295
I love watching paint dry in those 70s-80s Nippon Animation anime, but somehow Turn A didn't do it for me.
>>
What do people like about Turn A?

I couldn't get into it
>>
>>15728268
The best thing about Turn A is trying to guess what's a Syd Mead design and what's a Jap design
>>
File: Turn_A_Gundam_57782[1].jpg (876KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Turn_A_Gundam_57782[1].jpg
876KB, 3840x2160px
>>15728346
Kapools are cute
Loran is cute
Harry is fabulous
Poe is perfect for bullying
Guin is gay
Gekochou de aru
>>
>>15728268
It's a very Tomino show with an odd aesthetic and little marketing/availability in the West.
>>
File: Lily.jpg (41KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Lily.jpg
41KB, 720x480px
Why do people hate Lily?
>>
TAHN X NO OTOUTO is my favourite standalone series but I rate the Amuro/Char saga (ie. 0079, Zeta, CCA) as the best overall plot.
>>
>>15728268
"muh Tomino" since they already liked Anno but he became too mainstream and shit starting with Eva
>>
I don't like how everyone dresses
>>
>>15728268
-The MC isn't an autist, Mary Sue, or angsty edgelord.
-Tsundere archetype that isn't completely obnoxious.
-Most unique looking MC Gundam.
-It explores the theme of power and what happens when you get it (or lose it).
-World building is top notch for the franchise.
>>
>>15729093
>not a Mary Sue
I'm not convinced
>>
>>15728381
They do?
>>
>>15729093
I think it helps that visually it had one of the most unique settings in the franchise, with the contrast between the borderline steampunk Earthers and the high-end sci-fi Moonrace. The emphasis on battles being fought in pristine farmlands and countrysides over the usual space colonies and modern looking cities just hammered it in.
>>
It's very different from standard gundam series.
>>
>>15728381
Lily was the best.
>>
>>15728268
Because it flopped in Japan and US fans want to be superior
>>
>>15729093
>-The MC isn't an autist, Mary Sue, or angsty edgelord.
And yet he was the worst character in the franchise until Mika the murderer in IBO, go figure!
>-Most unique looking MC Gundam.
That's not a good thing.
>-World building is top notch for the franchise.
Troll detected.
>>
if you don't like Turn A you don't understand Gundam
>>
>>15728346

Turn-A just hits the right notes for me on a lot of things. I love the characters, the art, the pacing, the backstory, the actual plot, the designs, the music and probably a few other things not springing to mind. I love Loran as a nice guy in over his head and trying to do his best, I love Dianna as a weary ruler finding joy and a new lease of life in a different lifestyle, Kihel as an eager socialite who finds her calling by accident, Sochie as a naive child who learns the horror of war and melancholy of life as she matures throughout the show and Guin as a minor noble trying to get a mandate and genuinely help people but with an ambition that undercuts his good intentions. I love the idyllic setting, pastel color palette for much of the show and almost total lack of stock footage. I love the apocalyptic backstory leading to, to me, interesting fallout in the weapons and technology of this horrific past being messed with by the current generation, especially when the backstory allows me to imagine all kinds of fun stuff in the past of the show while enjoying the present. I love almost all the mech designs in the show, from the Turn-A through simple Moonrace units like the WaD and FLAT to the odd units appearing for an episode or two like the Muttowooo and the Mahiroo, along with most of Kano's score.

The pacing is perfect to me too, though I'm aware a lot of people loathe it, because the show takes its time exploring the setting and cast, showing what life can be for the cast as well as how conflict disrupts that life before really diving in to an all out war in the last few episodes. It gets me invested in the cast's life and wanting to avoid a war so that when it comes I want them to stop it. I think episodes like "Anis' Cow" are especially effective in this regard since it take one character and shows just what changes a conflict means to them.
>>
>>15728364
THE PRINCESS IS NOT FOR LEWD

But her double is for super-lewd impregnation
>>
>>15728268
I want to say it's because how "dumb" the Gundam looks and how not """""Gundam""""" it is, But then i remembered G-Gundam and everybody likes G-Gundam.
>>
>>15729135
His Gundam's the Mary Sue not him.
>>
>>15733336

Not really. The Turn-A is no more of a Mary Sue than most any Gundam. The unit has literally no weapons or shield for the first 9 or 10 episodes, and only a beam saber for another dozen or so episodes after that. It doesn't have any thrusters for the first dozen episodes and can't fly until nearly the finale of the show. It's damaged twice, outright loses twice and is destroyed in the finale. One of the times it loses is to an inferior suit for that matter (a SUMO). Loran isn't much of a Mary Sue either, considering he outright loses twice, runs away once when he's losing because he gets overwhelmed, is naive enough to be used by Guin for half the show until Keith points out what's happening and is physically beaten by another character when he tries to win back the Turn-A.
>>
>>15733449
Man, can't get the joke about how people talk about the Turn A here?
>>
>>15733255
You hit the nail right on the head, friend. I think a lot of people here
>>15729620
>>15729618
>>15728509
>>15728346

are starting to hate on it to be contrarian. So to me it seems it's not that hipsters like Turn A, it's that hipsters these days hate on Turn A because it's comparatively popular and well-praised on this board compared to any other Gundam. Hell, anything popular is going to attract shitposts just because there are a lot of people that hate seeing others enjoy things.
>>
>>15733255
Now I feel like rewatching Turn A. Great post.
>>
>>15733637

Tone doesn't carry in text. You can make it as memetic or obvious as you think is neccesary, but it'll still be indistinguishable from a serious post.
>>
To me Turn A only shat the bed at the very end of the show with how forced it was to drag out the conflict by having Guin bring Gym and his lackeys to Earth. All of that just because there had to be a final mecha fight. Still surprised it lasted as long as it did without doing something incredibly stupid like that.
>>
Not enough Sochie in this thread.
>>
>>15733657
All me.
>>
>>15733657
/mm isn't what it used to be. As mecha became more mainstream with shows like gurren Lagan and Code Geass it brought /a/ people here. Now it's trolls trolling trolls and no mecha discussion worth a damn.
>>
>>15734510

Seemed pretty organic to me. The show established in episode 5 or 6 that someone in the Moonrace was trying to assassinate Dianna during the integration party, and kept it up with regular hints that someone on the Moon had seperate motives to Dianna through Corin, Teteth and Midgard all the way up until they arrive on the Moon, at which point it's revealed that Agrippa Maintainer wants to take control of the Moon and eject anyone he sees as tainted by a desire for conflict and he's working with Gym to take over. Agrippa is killed and Gym is left on his own, but as soon as he is Dianna demands he turn over the Turn-X since she doesn't trust him with it given his history and personality, at which point he immediately begins contemplating killing her and Kihel (just to be sure). In the meantime Guin has gone all the way to the Moon in search of favorable partners and advanced technology, but realizes that Dianna will not just hand him access to all of the technology the Moonrace have, especially the Turn related tech and instead tries to find a new way he can do so. At which point he finds Gym and suggest an alliance, which Gym accepts.

Allying and trying to start a conflict to further their objective fits both their personalities, as does Guin blinding himself to Gym's personality because he sees personal profit and doesn't care how he gets it. The reasons they can no longer continue their previous path are established, as is their reasons for wanting to join forces. I do wish Gym had been a presence in the show for longer, but other than that I think the whole comes together pretty well.
>>
>>15733255
This screams copypasta and Mecha Talk masturbation
>>
>>15734549
>no mecha discussion worth a damn
I tried making threads about favorite (at the moment) Gundam work but because it got a shit-tier adaptation faggots just dismiss it.
>>
>>15729620
>And yet he was the worst character in the franchise until Mika the murderer in IBO, go figure!

And what exactly is wrong with having an amoral protagonist? did you spend your childhood watching magical girl shows or something? we're talking about Mecha, dude. This shit is common.

I bet you cried yourself to sleep when you saw things like MD Geist and Genocyber.
>>
>>15734607
Not that guy, but let's not pretend that IBO was anything other than complete garbage.
>>
>>15734609
Mika was one of the few redeeming parts of the series. A psychopathic midget who just wanted to wreck face is a fun character to have around. Challenge them to a dual? Lol no, have a mace.
>>
>>15734616
He wasn't fun at all though. 99% of the time he was just stoic and boring.
>>
>>15734607
>HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE UNLIKABLE! REEE!

It's fine to have that sort of character in a show, but it doesn't work for a main protagonist.
>>
>>15734622
That's season 2 Mika where he's a fucking cripple. Season 1 Mika was active.
>>
Harry slap was one of the most satisfying kills in the franchise.
>>
>>15734630
>but it doesn't work for a main protagonist.
It can work in very specific situations but IBO didn't manage to make itself into that.
>>
>>15734633

I like that it's so satisfying despite technically showing nothing.
>>
>>15734631
>Season 1 Mika was active.
Not really no. He had almost no personality at all besides sucking Orga's dick and "sugoi kudelia."
>>
>>15734637
For the love of god, lower the resolution.
>>
>>15734636
Well, right. It works if it is part of an arc where he eventually becomes likable and sympathetic.
>>
>>15734643
No, not that kind of scenario.
>>
>>15734643
Not every protagonist needs to be a good person. Hell there are plenty of stories about extremely flawed men whose vices eventually get them killed.
>>
File: The Queen's Judgement.webm (2MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
The Queen's Judgement.webm
2MB, 960x720px
>>15734637

I believe I made that one shortly after I'd first gotten Webm for Retards and didn't realize you could change resolutions. I know I made dozens more that I did fiddle with the resolution on to improve the quality, but I can't remember if this version is a different resolution or not off hand and don't see any way to tell without posting it.
>>
>>15734643

That's a really boring way of looking at things, Anon. We're talking about a bunch of moving drawings. Stop acting like you're watching real life when you watch anime.

Because you aren't.
>>
>>15734630
How is loran unlikable?
I liked him, he is a hell of a lot more likable than this faggot.
>>
>>15734725

I suspect he means Mika in IBO there, not Loran in Turn-A.
>>
>>15734607
>And what exactly is wrong with having an amoral protagonist?
Loran wasn't amoral, he just wasn't a self-insert for the audience who were amoral/had different morals than Loran.
>>
>>15734702
>Stop acting like you're watching real life when you watch anime.

No, real people are shitty and unheroic. When I watch my fantasy cartoons I want to watch a hero.
>>
File: b826b47624061f8b3e1feb90470e57e6.png (279KB, 758x1048px) Image search: [Google]
b826b47624061f8b3e1feb90470e57e6.png
279KB, 758x1048px
>>15734735
Indeed. Loran is likable and adorable.
>>
>>15734823
Just because you want to fug Loran doesn't mean he's a good character.
>>
>>15734832
I didn't say he was a great character, he's not very deep or complicated, but he served the his purpose to the plot. All the while being sympathetic and fuggable.
>>
>>15734832
Fuck you it doesn't. I want to be gay to Loran.
>>
>>15728268
It's the only thing Tomino's made in the last 30 years that remotely approaches ideal Tomino - his interesting quirks minus the bad things that make watching his stuff mildly insufferable.

Other than that, it's a Gundam fandom thing that people latch onto something obscure/less accessible as their hidden gem or underappreciated thing.
>>
>>15735268
How can anything be "mildly" insufferable?
>>
>>15736220
Like 'slightly unbearable' or 'minutely torturous'.
>>
because I guess people like relating to robots most of the time.
>>
>>15735268
>minus the bad things
You talking about his misogyny?
>>
>>15728364
i still wonder, were they two in some sort of relative/ ancestry?
>>
File: 189467546189.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
189467546189.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
>>15734607
>did you spend your childhood watching magical girl shows or something?
>I bet you cried yourself to sleep when you saw things like MD Geist
>and Genocyber.

H-how--... How could he possibly have found out about me???
>>
>>15734809
kys. Either a troll or a normalfag
>>
Aside from a few Tomino cliches, Turn A was enjoyable as hell for the most part.

It's probably the only Gundam that really managed to show actual people main character is supposed to fight for, instead of just "the humanity".

Neither Moon Race nor earthlings are really "bad guys", but rather average people who wants to live normally, which helps a lot.
It's paced very good for a Tomino show and over all is a very distinctive work with high artistic value (that amazing OST alone makes it worth...)
Unfortunately last episodes (pretty much everything after Black History reveal) were very rushed. Amount of moronic choices they had to throw into this at the very end, without justifying ANYTHING makes Turn A a disappointment in a long run (like X or Wing), but I still think it's worth a watch.

Just go into this show with a right mindset.
>>
>>15736778
I'm pleased to be anything that upsets you, Anon-kun.
>>
File: Phil0.gif (26KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
Phil0.gif
26KB, 250x350px
Why weren't he and Poe executed or imprisoned for life in the end?
>>
>>15734702
>Stop acting like you're watching real life when you watch anime. Because you aren't.
Unless you're watching ZZ.
>>
>>15729620
>And yet he was the worst character in the franchise
I didn't believe it was possible to have an opinion this wrong. Loran is one of the most well rounded, sane, likeable protags in the entire Gundam franchise. If you seriously think he's below fucking Heero from Gundam Wing, there's no helping you.
>>
>>15736994

Probably because when the chips were down they saw how crazy Gym was and decided helping Dianna was more important than being in charge, supplying her with ships and suits that were badly needed at that point to fight Guin and Gym.
>>
>>15734572
This screams "I'm seventeen"
>>
>>15729620
>my opinions are different to yours except mine are right because they're mine
>>
>>15734519
But Sochie is worst girl.
>>
>>15737039
>one of the most well rounded
That's, like, your opinion, man.
>sane
>likeable
Since when are those distinguishing characteristics of a well-written character?
>>
>>15733657
Are we going to be allowed to like Zeta without being swarmed soon?
>>
File: 1437078327751.jpg (81KB, 311x519px) Image search: [Google]
1437078327751.jpg
81KB, 311x519px
>>15734823
>>15734735
I guess I'm shit at reading comprehension, sorry about that.
>>
>>15733255
I am amazed this board is still capable of direct and detailed answers in this day and age.
>>
>>15741840
It's pasta.
>>
>>15741970

You'll have no problem linking to the original then.
>>
>>15728268
This girl looks pretty cute, is she around for the whole series?
>>
>>15741975
Check fireden, not your army, etc
>>
File: 1474546856641.gif (52KB, 310x440px) Image search: [Google]
1474546856641.gif
52KB, 310x440px
>>15742261
She's introduced a little later than the main characters but she's around for most of the series
>>
>>15742267

You're the one making the accusation so the burden of proof is on you. Not your slave etc.
>>
>>15736894
So a troll then
>>
>>15742401
Never mind, her face isn't nearly as hot as it'd thought it'd be.
>>
>>15743371
>>
Man I remember when I thought that Lily was pointless and annoying, then she fucking steps up.

She is now one of the best girls in the series.
>>
>>15743420
Looking better...
>>
Is there no shading in this show?
>>
>>15743435
She was competent as a spy and at gathering intel.
>>
>>15743371
this is anime bro. it's really the hair that's ruining everything
>>
>>15728268
If I recall correctly from the polls carried out a couple of years ago, this board's order of preference for Gundam shows is
0079 > Turn-A > G Gundam > Zeta > Victory > 00 > the rest

So Turn-A has always been pretty well liked.
>>
>>15743999
>couple of years ago
/m/ has changed
>>
>>15744108
>/m/ has changed
Not really, /m/ has just stagnated since EG retired, nyaa died and OZC started deleting as many of his Gundam encodes as possible due to being a massive fucking faggot.

It's not as easy for people to get into Gundam anymore compared to even just a year ago, so no new people come to /m/.
>>
>>15744128
The main thing that built western mecha fans and subsequently /m/ were the Toonami runs of Robotech, Gundam Wing, SEED, and the OVAs (08th MS, 0080, 0083).

The golden age of selling mecha to the kids is almost over. They are going to sell it to the 30+ year old fans that know all the references and then die, that is the battle plan.
>>
>>15728364
ONORE
>>
>>15742416
Ignore him, he's lying. Much like his whore mother
>>
>>15744128
This. It's amazing just how hard it would be now for someone freshly coming into wanting to watch giant robots compared to how it was just six months ago.
>>
It's comfy but very meandering.
>>
Is this show as SILLY as ZZ?
>>
>>15746016
yes, there's a lot of slapstick with retarded characters
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.