[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Watching old anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

How do you calibrate your monitor/tv when watching old anime anons?

Do you go for warm color temperature because CRTs had warmer colors back then? or maybe you watch them on a CRT just like people that play old videogames?
>>
or maybe you just watch it as it is
>>
File: kenshin 3422.jpg (95KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
kenshin 3422.jpg
95KB, 1280x960px
One thing Ive noticed when watching some old stuff is a lot of transparency.

This isn't an /m/ example I know but it's the only example I have on hand. See how you can see the back ground through her.
>>
>>15727122
It's the cel, it has weird stuff sometimes.

Pic related the ghosting, I think this is the most normal one by far
>>
I like good animation so I don't watch old anime. I tried watching Cowboy Bebop and it was literally unwatchable, it was so old. I hope they re-do it with good graphics.
>>
>>15727135
>(You)
There you go, now sod off
>>
>>15727129

Yeah I figured it was something like that. It's just really noticeable when I watch it on my modern 50 inch set.
>>
>>15727112
I turn it on fullscreen and turn off my desk lamp.
>>
>>15727122
Kenshin BDs when?
>>
>>15727122
Huh? No you can't. Those are compression artifacts, not part of the show.
>>
I figure most modern transfers are already optimized for a modern screen. I'm not going to mess with anything unless it looks really ugly.
>>
>>15727122
I don't see the background. Perhaps the problem is that you're watching some shitty upscale that tries to pass itself off a "blu-ray".
>>
File: its pretty obvious.jpg (128KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
its pretty obvious.jpg
128KB, 1280x960px
>>15729100
>>15729719

you people are blind
>>
>>15729719
How would an upscale create the problem OP is describing? Retard.
>>
>>15727112
I don't do anything because I'm not a sperg. Fucking nerd.
>>
>>15730021
COMPRESSION ARTIFACTS.
>>
I got a crt pc monitor that displays resolution despite it being from 1999, I have no clue how the fuck it works but it does, and watching anime on it is really great.
Even though it doesnt have a 240p resolution or something, anime looks gorgeous, specially 1080p releases of old anime.
Id recommend finding a nice CRT for older anime because imo it looks definitely better and cozy, but its probably just nostalgia.
oh, it doesnt do scanlines or anything, its just progressive scanning but it looks better than my expensive asus monitor.
>>
>>15731881
That's not what a compression artifact looks like. There are compression artifacts in the image, because for some reason whoever took the screenshot decided to use jpeg. However, you can also see the window lattice through her clothing, which is not caused by compression.
>>
>>15727112
The ones who are supposed to calibrate them for new media standards are the companies releasing those anime in BluRay.
>>
>>15727129
>>15727122 meant that the cells sometimes become semi-transparent when they are photographed. You can see clearly what he meant here: >>15730021
What you posted, on the other hand, is simply the shadow of one cell over the other. That happened a lot in cell anime, but with old TVs you'd never notice it. In Bluray releases, on the other hand, it's quite visible.
>>
>>15727112
I don't calibrate my HDTV especially for anime, but I do watch older stuff that isn't on BD on my CRT sometimes through S-Video (CRT doesn't take component) and it looks far better than upscaling it on a HDTV IMO.
>>
>>15732939
*my CRT doesn't take component
Whoops, of course there are CRTs that take component
>>
>>15727112
>not watching them in an old 40cm crt tv
>>
>>15732004
Stop posting about things you know nothing about.
>>
traditional cells bleed through and due to say low-quality small screens in the studio never saw it on the first pass or just couldn't spend more time thickening up the paint on the cells to stop the image ghosting through. tho you have a keen eye to pick that up.
>>
you tend to forgive a lot of bad decision making in old cartoons when you realize that every thing was hand painted over and over again. I have some respect for the people who spent so many hours on the things I enjoy
>>
>>15744080
I love watching the blu-ray rip of 0079 and seeing all the smudges and hairs on the cels moving around as it's animated. It's fun seeing how the sausage was made.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.