[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the Digimon World games a good starting point?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: dwno_ps4_2d-ew-01.jpg (72KB, 361x450px) Image search: [Google]
dwno_ps4_2d-ew-01.jpg
72KB, 361x450px
I've always wanted to get into the series, so would it be okay to pick up one of these at GameStop and give it a go?

Also, what series should I start with?
>>
>>15723444
The older World games are all different, but the modern ones all seem to be emulating the old Tamagotchi pet raising simulator formula, Next 0rder included. There's some plot thrown in as well, but it's mostly about raising monsters and trying to figure out their arcane evolution requirements so you can do more of the in-game activities

If you prefer a more traditional RPG experience for Digimon, play Cyber Sleuth. For some reason, it has a better story than every single Digimon anime
>>
You really need to watch Adventure. Possibly the best kids show.

And maybe Tamers but I couldn't get into it.
>>
>>15723444
The best way to get in to Digimon is to watch the show in production order (you can skip 02 and YH). If you want to get into the games too then the notable ones are Digimon World, Cyber Sleuth, and Next 0rder. There's some other ones that are hit and miss or sloppy in execution (Digimon World 3, Decode, Adventure PSP, and Dusk/Dawn) and while they can be pretty fun they are better off played once you are into the series. There's the wonderswan rpgs but those are compete companion pieces to the show and also very mediocre. The rest I haven't listed are almost all shit.

Oh it goes without saying but sub not dub.
>>
>>15723444
/m/ is actually a pretty shit place to talk about Digimon and this seems more like an /a/ or /v/ kinda thing. Anyway the Cyber Sleuth games are acceptable SMT clones if thats yer thing.

You can do production order, and don't skip 02 only shipping memesters hate the ending, but really the series you like depends on your tastes.
Adventure is iconic, and while not as good 02 follows up and is canon to Tri.
Tamers is for the kids that like edge at the cost of character development.
Frontier was radically different but fun in a mock sentai kinda way but the rest of the cast becoming useless held it back.
Savers is a fun action romp.
Xros is /m/ as fuck and you could do that first if robots are your thing.
>>
>>15723799
>02
>worth watching
After the first arc it just completely falls apart. And the first arc was boring anyway

>Tamers
>edgy
Have you even fucking watched it? The only thing edgy about Tamers is the expanded material shit. The main series itself is not edgy in the slightest
>>
>>15723444
As a kid who had no internets and nothing but DW1 for over a year--I loved it. The sense of gradual progression through exploration, the visual expansion of your city, and the many digimon you trained were all thrilling.

Now as an adult I tried playing this, and I hated almost everything about it. I hated how the characters were so cutesy anime they wanted to make me puke. The side character humans may as well not have been in there(their contribution was nothing). I liked some of the mechanics from raising that they gave you, as well as two digimon at a time.

But I think I realized that I grew out of this type of game. You take 1 step forward, three steps back. It takes HOURS to raise a digimon, and then you progress through an area just a little bit and they die of old age. Then you repeat. That sense of zero progress was not fun.

tl;dr: wanted to love it, but the anime style of the MC and most importantly the realization that this was a perpetual grind fest killed it.
>>
>>15723924
With that said, Cyber Sleuths:

Pros:
+Addictive formula
+Many digimon to get
+Interesting plot
+the anime style didn't look so dopey

Cons:
- Areas were literally hallways with little to no variation
- Grinding
>>
>>15723924
You must have been playing it way too safe. I recall when I played RE: Digitize, my Digimon had longer lifespans and were easier to train each time since they do retain progressively more stats from the previous generation and the expansion of the town facilities also made raising stats easier and faster. There's always progress.

Of course, me save stating past training failures probably had something to do with that, but I do think you're overexaggerating a bit. I haven't played Next 0rder, but I doubt it's all that different
>>
File: Digimon_Rumble_Arena.jpg (48KB, 401x398px) Image search: [Google]
Digimon_Rumble_Arena.jpg
48KB, 401x398px
Last digimon game I played. Terriermon and Patamon were OP.
>>
>>15723933
>- Grinding
Completely nulled with Platinum Numemons and the EXP booster accessory.
>>
>>15724085
Still gotta grind for CAM% or money to buy meats to raise CAM%
>>
>>15723499
>but the modern ones all seem to be emulating the old Tamagotchi pet raising simulator formula
Thats what the first one was. It was only from 2 onwards that they became generic JRPGs
Anyway play the original for PS1, and no you haven't won until youve got File City fully populated, enjoy the dozen Numemon/Sukimon you'll have until you figure out what youre doing
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.