[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This was absolutely awful, why the fuck does Japan like this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 15

File: gundam-seed-splash.jpg (93KB, 713x350px) Image search: [Google]
gundam-seed-splash.jpg
93KB, 713x350px
This was absolutely awful, why the fuck does Japan like this so much? It was littered with so many generic anime tropes I lost count of how many were being thrown in my face, and the animation was almost on par with 0079 for QUALITY. It honestly felt like something you'd pull out of a bargain bin.
>>
File: amuro's destiny.jpg (641KB, 640x1878px) Image search: [Google]
amuro's destiny.jpg
641KB, 640x1878px
Fujobait and savvy marketing.
>>
Just wait until you get to Destiny.

It takes the few good things about SEED and shits all over them.
>>
But SEED and SEED Destiny are the best Gundam shows.
>>
>>15719960
>why the fuck does Japan like this so much?
Because CE is the best timeline and Turn A almost killed the franchise. That is not a joke, Turn A had the worst ratings and sales until Age.
>>
>>15720002
>Japan likes SEED and hated Turn A
It still amazes me that one country can have tastes this objectively shit.

>>15719989
SEED is on par with AGE and Wing in terms of quality, absolute trash.
>>
Marketing
Idol princess
Popular seiyu
Good MS designs
Good Music

Seems all those things outweigh the shit writing/animation/characters
>>
>>15719960
It was very close to becoming the next UC; a planned trilogy or more with 50 eps each, massive story potential thanks to generous and in-depth world-building, and aided with then-popular big-name artists and VAs as well as a generous non-Gunpla merchandising side. Destiny failed to catapult it further, with staff in-fighting leading to questionable character assassinations and plot changes. However, both Gunpla and non-Gunpla merchandise sales have remained strong. For all intents and purposes, SEED is still the biggest and most loved AU in Japan.

The popularity of the series remains strong enough to be a common inclusion into most Gundam-related games and never-ending sidestories. So much so that the Strike served as the lead Gundam of GBF, instead of any other AU starter Gundam or the iconic RX-78.
>>
>>15720042
>So much so that the Strike served as the lead Gundam of GBF, instead of any other AU starter Gundam or the iconic RX-78.
I ended up liking the build variants but fuck I was mad about that. The Strike is the most generic, safe nothing of a "base" Gundam I've ever seen. It has literally nothing to its name besides its worse v-fin and toybait packs to distinguish it from the RX-78
>>
File: 163451648165552.png (764KB, 856x648px) Image search: [Google]
163451648165552.png
764KB, 856x648px
>>15720002
This makes my stomach turn. SEED is just a genericized 0079 knockoff, I just watched the series recently and I'm already forgetting names.
>>
>>15719960
Most of what is considered "generic anime tropes" now originated from SEED and the other shows airing at this time. Remember, this thing came out in 2002.
>>
>>15720004
>It still amazes me that one country can have tastes this objectively shit.

I'm willing to bet that most of the fans of SEED are normies who aren't big on the rest of the franchise. Vanilla people are grossly overpopulated.
>>
>>15719960
>SEED only

Oh boy, anon, you haven't watched Destiny yet?

You haven't experienced the raw power of The High Redeemer Kira Yamato, Blessed is His Name, who is immune to all laws including war crimes and international treaties and can survive nuclear explosions.
>>
>>15720091
That would explain the odd rave/pop rock that permeates the first intro. It felt very dated when I first watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMRaR15RBno
>>
>>15720118
>I'm willing to bet that most of the fans of SEED are normies who aren't big on the rest of the franchise

SEAfag here, it is 100% true in Southeast Asia. Interestingly enough, Unicorn has brought a ton of attention to UC and more people are watching other UC shows now.

We still have SEED purists though.
>>
>>15720083
Normally, I'd say the Strike being a modular design from the outset contributed to it being chosen, but considering how many of the GBF "packs" work with new and old models, that sort of falls through.

The Strike simply has become as iconic as the RX-78 in Japan, only exceeded by the Freedom or S.Freedom or Angel Zero.
>>
>>15720002
Didn't G Gundam have significantly worse ratings in Japan than both AGE and Turn A? The show is so irrelevant in Japan it didn't even get Master Grade Gunplas for the vast majority of its suits.
>>
>>15720083
Interesting view, but I like that aspect of the strike.
It's like the Nu because of its revamping and re-imagining of the classical RX-78 design for a different Era.
Its gimmicks are even just once again, a modern take on the RX-78's weaponry.
I personally thought the backpacks were way more practical and in better taste than things like G-Armor.
>>
>>15720146
I'd say that as of now the most iconic gundams are the RX-78, Freedoms and Unicron.
>>
File: Zeta_gundam.jpg (430KB, 1500x1748px) Image search: [Google]
Zeta_gundam.jpg
430KB, 1500x1748px
>>15720171
I think the Zeta is still more iconic than Unicorn. While you are probably right about Freedom, I wish it were the ∀. I have a hard time telling SEED's MC Gundams apart.
>>
>>15720208
Seeing as how Unicorn is getting the life size statue, probably not.
>>
One of the things that disappointed me about SEED is that they didn't do much with the concept of Coordinators. They are a lot like the human augments from Star Trek, but they just pilot mobile suits better and normies are racist toward them. It has no effect on the themes of the show the way Newtypes had with their's.
>>
File: button.png (231KB, 540x610px) Image search: [Google]
button.png
231KB, 540x610px
>>15720258
>Life-sized Zeta never.
>>
>>15720002
Well fuck the stupid slant eyed radiation monkeys because Turn A was the best show since ZZ and Seed is the worst bar none unless you count SD crap
>>
>>15720208
>I think the Zeta is still more iconic than Unicorn.
No, not really.
Contrary to what you might think, the only iconic Gundams as we speak ARE the RX-78 because of 0079's status as an anime cultural treasure, the Strike, Freedom and Strike Freedom because of how immensely popular SEED and Destiny were in Japan and outside it, and the Unicorn because of how immensely popular the Unicorn OVAs were in Japan and outside of it.
>>
>>15720260
The whole racism shtick towards Coordinators was retarded. They're literally just humans with internal augmentations that improve their mental and physical abilities. Unless specifically said out loud, there is zero way of telling if somebody is a Coordinator, and the general assumption is they're just gifted individuals.
>>
>>15720266
>>15720208
And that being said, Zeta is just many of the inbetween series. 0079 is what started it all, the rest are irrelevant to most fans, SEED is what revived it, and Unicorn is a modern hit among nostalgiafags and casuals.
>>
File: fuckit.gif (3MB, 375x211px) Image search: [Google]
fuckit.gif
3MB, 375x211px
>>15720266
>>
>>15720260
Not sure I'd agree; Seed, in my opinion, incorporated the coordinator angle more thoroughly than 0079 included newtypism. From the very beginning, it's clear that the coordinators have an honest grievance in the form of discrimination against them, the viewer understands the difference in power levels between coordinators & naturals, and the conflict is defined by these features.

MS:G, on the other hand, fills you in later on how spacenoid supremacy and newtypism are inherently linked, what a newtype is, and how the things got to where they are when the show starts.

Destiny kind-of tries to address coordinator analogs to the newtype elements explored in Zeta but, like everything else in Destiny, it just never quite works out. Since we explore almost all of that content through the eyes of Shinn, and the heavier stuff starts happening as Shinn starts getting sidelined by Kira, it just never has the same weight. We don't feel for Shinn in the ways that we felt what Kamille was going through.
>>
>>15720090
Because CE is better than UC, obviously.
>>15720004
>It still amazes me that one country can have tastes this objectively amazing.
Fixed
>>15720263
Oh shut up Mecha Talk.
>>
>>15720310
>He unironically likes SEED
You need a dick lodged down your throat and seed shot down your gullet.
>>
>>15720268
>Unless specifically said out loud, there is zero way of telling if somebody is a Coordinator, and the general assumption is they're just gifted individuals.
Depends on their level of coordination. If the guy is a George Glenn, whose a brilliant athlete in several sports and operating at a genius level in various academic fields, it's hard not to realize the person is a coordinator.

As for the discrimination, it's completely understandable. You as a natural would never be able to keep up with a coordinator; hell, Kira rewrites the Strike OS on the fly {so do the Le Creuset team, but we can assume they were using the ZAFT OS as a base}, and proceeds to do a better job than an entire team of natural engineers who probably worked on it for months. If access to coordination is limited, particularly if it's prohibitively expensive for most people, then it's hard to imagine that this wouldn't cause issues. How could you, as a lower middle class person that can't coordinate your kids, ever be okay with people who can. The end result is a caste system with the middle rungs of the ladder taken out.
>>
>>15720325
Well, the answer is to get the same augmentations. Granted I don't remember if these things actually cost money, they're restricted by age, or it was purely a nonsensical Luddite issue. If somebody came up to me and offered me genius level intellect and permanent peak physical prowess by just fucking around with my DNA a little, I'd be on the operating table in a flash.
>>
>>15720325
>How could you, as a lower middle class person that can't coordinate your kids, ever be okay with people who can.

That depends on whether or not Coordinators can make life, in general, better for my family and I. However, I'm probably more UNDERSTANDING than most people.
>>
>>15720330
>Granted I don't remember if these things actually cost money, they're restricted by age, or it was purely a nonsensical Luddite issue.
So, they never went into cost, but I interpreted it as a class issue based on the things we see in the show.

Coordinators are made by performing the procedure on a pregnant woman; Kira was the perfect coordinator because his embryo was placed in an artificial womb. Given that coordinators have trouble breeding, particularly with successive generations, it's possible that more extreme coordination might result in the body terminating the embryo, hence Kira getting a mechanical tank.

In the Blue Cosmos, we seem to see two types of people: there's Azrael and other blue bloods, upper class people who wouldn't fuck around with their genes because they value their pedigree; the others are clearly lower-class individuals that are threatened by their inability to compete with coordinators.
>>
>>15720330
You can't become a Coordinator after birth. You either have the modifications performed on your embryo or you don't. The closest a Natural can get is by undergoing the Extended treatments, which were psychologically damaging and required constant maintenance in the form of drugs every few hours for the first wave and every few days for the second.

You could Coordinate your children, but it's safe to assume the procedure wasn't free, at least not on Earth. On the PLANTs it probably was.
>>
Flay literally made SEED unwatchable for me. The typical hysterical cunt anime girl who does nothing but scream and cry every episode is probably my biggest "fuck off" tickbox.
>>
>>15720384
It didn't help that she was a racist, too.
>>
>>15719960
Probably because of a combination of Yaoi bait, Jpop, and mecha designs; everything else is terrible, but at the time it came out, it pretty much revived the franchise as a whole since it ticked all the boxes for most normie-tier anime fans.
>>
>>15720118
I think you are right.

SEED was the first Gundam I've ever seen and the first mech anime I've watched seen since childhood.

It took me a few episodes, but I instantly fell in love with it, mostly because of its sense of grandeur over the entire series (thanks to the music, I suppose). Being not familiar with any decent mech, It all felt really melodramatic and "important". Most of casual viewers don't need more from they watch, I guess.

I even liked Destiny more than SEED, because I kinda preferred Kira over to Shinn anyway and it felt like both sides were equally fleshed out, so I though that was kinda cool for a war conflict.

When I try to rewatch it (or any non-AGE modern Gundam) now, I just can't force myself to stick around more than a few episodes, because the number of cliche lines is simply unbearable.

It's not particularly SEED/00/whatever fault, since they clearly target less die-hard fans.
The very same people, who liked Kill la Kill, A/Z, Valvrave etc.
>>
>>15719960
>>15720004
>>15720090
>>15720118
>>15720263
>>15720312
>>15720384
Rock-sold proof that the portion of mecha fandom that hates Seed are unimaginative, sociopathic, elitist, racist and sexist.
>>
File: 2017-05-09_06-16-39.jpg (19KB, 296x257px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-09_06-16-39.jpg
19KB, 296x257px
>>15719960
Athrun was the true protagonist of the show.
No idea why elevens fucking love Kira, he's the very epitome of mecha Gary Stu
>>
I tried to watch it but the faces are just so fucked. How did anyone approve of this god awful artstyle?
>>
>>15720919
>Let's go for really wide+short heads but also have really realistic attempts at lighting
Makes every character look like an ayy.
>>
File: it's so dense.gif (344KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
it's so dense.gif
344KB, 480x360px
>>15720877
>>
>>15720877
Fuck you I'm probably the biggest tumblrina SJW on this entire board and I fucking hated Seed.

The first episode was actually pretty good but everything after that is just a bunch of poorly-written garbage that desperately tries to pull on its audience's heartstrings.
>>
>>15719960

Hard to enjoy anything if you are counting tropes dude.
>>
>>15720157
Nope.
>The show is so irrelevant in Japan it didn't even get Master Grade Gunplas for the vast majority of its suits.
Yeah, because we're just *swimming* in CC suits.
>>
SEED was good up until the point where they couldn't hide that Kira was just one big mary sue. So...basically all the way up until he gets the Freedom.

Destiny started good, for about 10 episodes. Then the same issue from SEED reared it's head.

Opinions on Destiny would flip 180 if they actually let Kira stay dead after Shinn impaled him. I'm sure it would have been a better show that way
>>
File: 274440594242142208_35s_d.jpg (280KB, 680x622px) Image search: [Google]
274440594242142208_35s_d.jpg
280KB, 680x622px
>>15719960
seed was good when kira was piloting the strike

proof that strike is the best AU gundam
>>
File: 1421694955439.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1421694955439.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>15721022
>tumblrina SJW
>not unimaginative, sociopathic, elitist, racist and sexist
You're not doing yourself any favors here.
>>
>>15720769
You forgot to mention MJP, Shin Mazinger, Gundam Unicorn, and Cross Ange in your unwarranted last minute snub of random shows you don't like, anon.
>>
File: Vym0Vt9.jpg (129KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Vym0Vt9.jpg
129KB, 500x500px
>>15721255
You can stop, now. It was funny the first time.
>>
>>15721212
Packs made for very interesting fights, but they could've been utilized better.
I guess that's what they realized with Shinn
>>
>>15720166
See though, the Nu was clearly a descendant of the RX-78 but also had very stark contrasts to create its own visual identity. To me the Strike had absolutely none of that.
>>
>>15721739
the problem is that the impulse looks like shit compared to strike
>>
>>15721751
Eh, I felt Impulse was ok; but it was too blatant a shoehorn for another RX-78 copy what with the core block system. At least the writer managed to make some use of the core block setup to write out some novel uses, such as the cave rush and the Impulse part separation in the fight vs Freedom.

The only real stupid Silhouette pack (outside of the Gaia pack) was the Blast, where it has to flip the main cannons around from under the shoulders to over the shoulders just to fire the missiles mounted on the back half of the cannons.
>>
>>15720002
It's probably because the mecha designs in Turn A are kinda awkward, even if they're cool and interesting. Maybe a lot of the mecha fans in JP are nationalists and they unconsciously snubbed it when they heard the mechs were designed by a gaijin
>>
>>15721363
I was talking about mediocre shows that gained popularity by being advertised to a less demanding crowd.

Cross Ange was never that popular and as much as I dislike Shin it wasn't a disposable anime. Just a messy one.
>>
>>15721763
>At least the writer managed to make some use of the core block setup to write out some novel uses, such as the cave rush and the Impulse part separation in the fight vs Freedom.
The cave rush ok, but the part separation is a common thing in Victory and is used in 0083 too. I even think that they used it in MSG, but not exactly in the same context.
>>
>liking seed as my first gundam show
>everyone says it's shit and the worst gundam
This can only be a good thing.
>>
>>15721763
The funny thing is how after realizing how Impulse is a send up to the 78-2, you might now notice the Strike is kinda the Gundam Mk II.

That being said, I would actually say Impulse owes more in practice to the Victory what with how the blocks are rather disposable and allow the Impulse as a whole to keep dishing dirt even after it's been functionally destroyed several times over, even as the layout of Impulse is a direct tribute to the 78.
>>
File: 1500085582841.jpg (19KB, 226x227px) Image search: [Google]
1500085582841.jpg
19KB, 226x227px
>>15720877
>"YOUR OPINIONS ARE PROBLEMATIC!!"

You seem lost. The "I Have Shit Taste and Can't Accept It" corner is elsewhere. Try looking on Tumblr again, perhaps? If not there, I'm sure ANN would be happy to help you find it.
>>
I didn't understand where they were going with Fllay. They seemed to want to turn her into a victim turned sociopath near the beginning but they just started pulling the punches near the end, hardly included her in anything and then just killed her off and tried to make you feel sad about it. It really felt like the writing changed hands.
>>
>>15722698
>and then just killed her off and tried to make you feel sad about it.

Right? When she got killed I was like, "ok. Byeeeee."
>>
File: FllayStrikeRougePilot.jpg (132KB, 860x870px) Image search: [Google]
FllayStrikeRougePilot.jpg
132KB, 860x870px
>>15722698
If I'm not misremembering, early drafts and plans for the series intended to have Fllay transition from that of a helpless civilian victim to a heroine for the Earth Alliance, and would eventually take the lead for the EA in piloting the Strike Rouge while Kira defected to Orb or ZAFT.

Basically, something like Louise Halevy from G00, but less unstable. A rich heiress who was helpless at the outset of war, but using her financial backing to buy her place and rank and also desiring to make a difference with her own power.

There was also some plans for a Shiro/Aina war-crossed lovers moment for the two as well, but with a sad end for Fllay as she'd die protecting Kira.
>>
File: Rx-178.gif (84KB, 385x550px) Image search: [Google]
Rx-178.gif
84KB, 385x550px
>>15720208
Zeta isn't even the most iconic suit in its own series.
>>
>>15722877
>to have Fllay transition from that of a helpless civilian victim to a heroine for the Earth Alliance, and would eventually take the lead for the EA in piloting the Strike Rouge while Kira defected to Orb or ZAFT.
Flay was so much of a cunt that going through with this would have pissed everybody off. She has zero redeeming qualities, she's a complete psychopath who manipulates people.
>>
>>15723337
The original scripts and interviews showed a more balanced triad planned (Cagalli representing Orb/Neutral Nations), before the EA was written into one-dimensional bad-guys and Fllay was reduced to a manipulative bitch who developed some sort of reverse stockholm syndrome for Kira.

I could see Fllay still joining and becoming a pilot later on, but instead of attempting to blatantly manipulate Kira via sex before actually doing anything, she just grows cold to her classmates and Sai and instead bonds with Kira due to him being the only other classmate who actively fights. Instead of guilt-tripping him "because he's one of them", she'd probably use camaraderie and their growing relationship instead. She'd likely start out as a comms bunny, then upgrade to Skygrasper piloting, then start training on the MS simulators like Mu once a functioning Natural OS is complete, and even debut once or twice in the Strike while Kira's out-of-commission.
>>
>>15723146
Mk II borrows too much from the already iconic RX-78 to be an icon on its own.
>>
>>15721739

Not really. 90 percent of the time both Strike and Impulse used the Aile/Force basic rifle and sabers and thursters pack to fly around and pew pew.

Occasionally they'd do some creative stuff but most of the time they didn't.
>>
>>15720141
Honestly the concentration of seedfags outside of japan is extremely high. The number of bootlegs and 3rd party stuff that is seed is greater than UC currently as well being pumped out from chinese and other asian manufacturers.

The only exception to this seems to be America which has a huge weird hateboner for seed.
>>
>>15722244
>That being said, I would actually say Impulse owes more in practice to the Victory
While the disposable nature of the parts screams Victory, the Impulse is definitely drawing a lot from the 0083 well. Separating parts mid-battle debuted in Stardust, with Victory coming out shortly thereafter.
>>
>>15720083
"It has nothing to distinguish it except this incredibly distinguishing thing."

>>15720042
A trilogy? It was going to end on a movie.

The movie just never happened because the writer died.
>>
>>15724184
>A trilogy? It was going to end on a movie.
That was the last thing we'd heard, doesn't mean it was the plan when SEED was in development.

>The movie just never happened because the writer died.
That project was stalled out well before Morosowa died. Destiny was just too much of a shitshow during development.
>>
>>15722698
My theory is that the writers got too caught up in drama involving Fllay, and before they realized it made her (understandably) unsympathetic to most viewers, even though they initially had long term plans for her. So they just gave the viewers some breathing room from her and tried to write her off with dignity that reflected their original intent for the character.
There are one or two specific scenes (usually internal monologue) with Fllay that push her over the edge from being a victim of circumstances lashing out, to just seeming plain evil (As a result of war, yes. But that applies to many villains too), and if they had just held back a bit, Fllay would have been redeemable.
>>
>>15724167
>Separating parts mid-battle debuted in Stardust, with Victory coming out shortly thereafter.
When it was used in 0083, it was an emergency surprise maneuver. In Destiny and Victory, they share the concept of intentionally using it as an actual battle tactic to change out specialized equipment and replace damaged parts on the go.
>>
File: StraightWhiteAlly.png (647KB, 1004x1600px) Image search: [Google]
StraightWhiteAlly.png
647KB, 1004x1600px
>>15724321
It's a shame really. Fllay was easily the most interesting character of the show when it was starting out.
>>
CE is unironically better than the UC trash that comes chronologically after ZZ.
>>
>>15720919
The art style has honestly aged worse than pretty much any other in the series.
>>
>>15720258
Wait, what?
>>
>>15726483
Agreed. I think a lot of that has to do with inexperience with digipaint and all those crappy digital effects.
>>
>>15720919
Hirai face. Dude is a garbage artist, I have no clue how he got work; and continues to get work.
>>
>>15726875
Late 90s Hirai and current Hirai are fine though. It's early-middle 00s Hirai that's a real abomination.
>>
>>15726841
nigga how new are you. they took down the life size RX-78-2 earlier this year to construct a life size Unicorn in its place.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.