[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

James Wan OUT as Robotech LAM director...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

File: index.jpg (8KB, 205x115px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8KB, 205x115px
...IT Director Andy Muschietti is IN.

http://screenrant.com/robotech-live-action-movie-now-being-helmed-by-it-director/
>>
File: 1496966012848.png (71KB, 229x300px) Image search: [Google]
1496966012848.png
71KB, 229x300px
At this rate, the Robotech Live Action will come out after Uru in Blue is released.
>>
>>15701177

I didn't even know they had a director
>>
>>15701177

the final nail in Macek's coffin, please ignore the sound of his greedy fists pounding against the lid
>>
>>15701391
>Macross fags still find a way to shit talk a dead man who was just doing his job over a cartoon they never grew up with.

I swear every time I think I start to feel bad for you cunts, you open your goddamn mouths.
>>
>>15701400
Nice apologism
>>
>>15701185
Whatever happened to Blue Uru?
>>
File: all laughing.jpg (107KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
all laughing.jpg
107KB, 1920x800px
>>15701177
>>
>>15701494
The same thing that happened to Robotech: The Live Action.Nobody except a couple gen X neckbeards give a shit about it
>>
>>15701400
>Posts SoL moeshit

Like your opinion matters, Macekfag.
>>
>>15702041
>If I can't argue with him I'll just call the source of his reaction image shit
Every time
>>
>>15701400
>>15701391

Kawamori has done more to ruin Macross than all of Harmony Gold combined.
>>
>>15702091
I dunno, being barred from owning your own works outside of your country is pretty dickish. I disliked Delta as much as the next guy, but it's easier to blame Kawamori if he doesn't have a hand tied behind his back the whole time.
>>
>>15702176

you know what makes it easier to blame Kawamore? The entire rest of his body of work
>>
>>15701177
Who is the audience for this? There aren't enough Robotech fans to make back the budget for such a film. Macross fans don't want Robotech. Normal people won't watch anything that isn't of a brand they already know and love.
>>
>>15701177
The REAL question is what idols will they cast?

Ariana Grande and Selena Gomez?
>>
>>15702767
lol no, HG can't afford them.
They're gonna have to pick up some stripper at a bar in Vegas to be the idol.
>>
>>15702783
Probably some Youtuber singer.
>>
So, is the Macross dub or "Robotech" worth watching? Seen the first episode and the voices don't seem bad. What's /m/'s opinion on the adaptation?
>>
File: Rick_Hunter_17_large.jpg (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Rick_Hunter_17_large.jpg
26KB, 640x480px
>>15703039
>What's /m/'s opinion on the adaptation?

well that depends on who you ask.

Sane people will tell you it's a mostly solid show that unlike a lot of cartoons at the time was a far more "adult" ongoing narrative and any flaws where mostly the result of the network needing more episodes then they had available so they adapted two other shows to fit the run time.

Otherwise outside of changing protoculture and the names it's mostly on point.

Macross fags however will scream that it's the worst thing ever and worse than 11 Hitlers

Id say just watch Macross anyways because it was the original. Robotech is mostly just interesting from a historical stand point
>>
>>15702791
Good, because most American popstars can't even actually sing without backstage ghost singers or recordings
>>
>>15703055
>People STILL defend Robotech in 2017.
>>
>>15703039
Both are worth watching if you have the time. Macross if you only have time to watch one series.
>>
>>15703072

See. This is exactly my point.
>>
>>15703055
THIS.
I own both the RT and the orignal versions of SDFM, Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA on dvd and have actually done a simultaneous side-by-side viewing of all three shows with their Robotech counterparts to see exactly how much changed. If any Southern Cross fans want to bitch about how much the story was changed, they're perfectly within their right. The planet was changed to post-war Earth, the second moon was erased from the sky, Bowie isn't Emmerson's illegitimate son, the Zor Lords got heavily re-scripted, and the red bioroid pilot's identity is completely changed.

Macross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA, on the other hand, match pretty much line-for-line with the exception of a little censorship (Yellow's striptease, Minmay's suicide pact, Roy's alcoholism, Annie's panties became "bikini bottoms", that kind of thing) and a handful of one-liners thrown in during MOSPEADA's silent moments. Almost everything that changed in the story is actually just changes to the setting and nearly 100% of that is in the narration and not character dialogue.

If anyone were to ask for recommendation, I would always recommend the original audio with subtitles for pretty much any show that isn't G Gundam. I do not think that Robotech: The Macross Saga is in any way superior to SDFM. I have no intention of defending HG's legal fuckery which is undeniably exploitative. But the changes to the story are ridiculously exaggerated by Macross purists who've never even lowered themselves to actually watching the dub they constantly cry about.
>>
>>15703039
The Narrator in Robotech is annoying as they can't handle a moment without dialogue or action. It is watchable, especially for an 80s dub. Most of the changes are just names and the weird "Protoculture is magical flowers that power robots and allow the Zentraedi to change sizes."

The ADVision Macross dub is pretty terrible, you have Vic Mangina as Hikaru and Mari Iijima turning her accent up to 11 at the director's instruction getting a "Me rove you rong time Hikalu" for Minmei. Just watch it subbed.
>>
>>15703089

No, there's nothing of value in Robotech besides some shitty censorship and even worse music.
>>
>>15702091
This really. The worst I've ever seen of Robotech was Shadow Chronicles which was bad, but not offensively so. Delta on the other hand, actively disgusted me by its constant dicksucking of those Windmere assholes.
>>
>>15701177
>.......
leave
>>
>>15703039
The voices for Robotech definitely aren't bad for the time, there's some really good casting here and there like Tony Oliver (aka THE English Lupin) as "Rick" and Dan Woren (probably most known for Persona's Igor) as Roy. Unfortunately the script is really mediocre by modern standards and the narrator never shuts the fuck up.

The ADV dub is somehow worse. If you've ever wanted to hear Vic Mignogna scream "SENPAI" and Mari Iijima ham that accent up give it a shot. If you're a sane person avoid it.

Just watch Macross subbed. The Macross Plus dub is pretty good though.
>>
>>15703739
>Mari Iijima turning her accent up to 11 at the director's instruction getting a "Me rove you rong time Hikalu" for Minmei
I have suspicions that Minmay might be chingchowing it up to some degree in moonspeak too.
I notice she uses "otaku" to refer to people, which as far as I've heard was already a thing for weirdos and non-native speakers by the time they made SDFM.

Anybody better versed in how Japan does chineeman voices? Did the Chinese people in Ranma talk funny in the Japanese version?
>>
File: Mirage(1).gif (1MB, 664x374px) Image search: [Google]
Mirage(1).gif
1MB, 664x374px
>>15702091
>>15703821
>t. Macek cocklets
Now because Delta exists suddenly means Kawamori has done more bad than good. Yeah guys, the 7 OVAs, Plus, Zero, and Frontier never happened. Fuck off Harmony Gold apologists.
>>
>>15706711
>suddenly means Kawamori has done more bad than good
That's fine. As long as Macross is in good people's hand everything is cool.
Also the more he makes the more control he has on the franchise. The committee is making money off the side merchandise and nobody cares about the complains.
>>
>>15706711
Zero was shit though. Was it absolutely necessary to retcon so much of SDF for the sake of fanservice?
>>
>>15706720
But Zero is undeniably better than anything HG has made.
>>
>>15706711
>the 7 OVA

yeah we sure did need that Mylene nearly gets raped subplot
>>
>>15706751
Better than the so called 4th Robotech War that's going no where. You're in no position to talk about the portrayal of girls here considering ever woman in SC has ginormous boobs.
>>
>>15706774

yeah but nobody gets raped in what's ostensibly a fun ova about singing to whales
>>
>>15706777
Then you haven't watched enough anime newfag.
>>
>>15702091
Damn Anon. I fucking hate you. You are so absolutely right! I never thought of it that way. It hurts.
>>
>>15702767
They'll digitally restore Reba West to make her younger and sing out of tune, m8.
To be honest, I'd totally watch that for hilarity.
>>
>>15703039
Thing is, it makes no sense to watch Robotech if you're getting into this. Even without outrage and screams, the fact remains that Macross is better. It makes no sense to watch the inferior one. Watch Macross subbed.
>>
>>15706711
Plus was the last good thing he ever did. At least in regards to Macross.
Zero is boring, Frontier is shit and Delta is directly atrocious.
>>
>>15706736
You say that like that means it still isn't garbage.
>>
>>15703072
I don't defend Robotech I'm just sick of Macrossfags still pretending that it's cockblocking them from watching their show when most Macross shows not only got an official release outside of Japan but everything that hasn't got fansubbed and they can still support the franchise by just importing merchandise.
>>
>>15702763
if a robotech film is the SDF macross story i'd watch it. all the people who grewup watching transformers would watch it. china would eat this shit up. you make your budget right there.
>>
>>15709800
It's still very unseemly that what amounts to a patent troll can severely hinder an animation studio from profiting off of their own works outside of their home country.

Put it this way: you could buy Gundam kits in stores in the US, make deals to sell them in places like Toys-R-Us and Barnes and Noble, run officially dubbed versions of the show on Cartoon Network, sell the DVDs and BDs at Best Buy, and so on. But because of a shitty court decision made in the 80s, Studio Nue can't do any of that with Macross. You could say that that's all for casual shitters, but there are a lot of casuals in the world, and selling to even a fraction of those people would massively increase profits (and in turn also increase brand name recognition and popularity).

Say what you will about Kawamori, being hindered like that is a major problem if you have ambitions to promote your works overseas. And all this by a real estate company that refuses to give up on a thing they did in the 80s and which they cannot even transition into something meaningful outside of rehashing old shit that very few people even remember anymore.
>>
>>15709827
Not that Anon. I'm pretty much a Macrossfag.
Although if the future of the franchise is Frontier and Delta then I don't give a fuck about that anymore.
>>
>>15709903
Frontier was just SDF with bugs.
>>
>>15709915
SDF was actually entertaining.
>>
>>15705176
According to Wikipedia:
Otaku is derived from a Japanese term for another person's house or family (お宅, otaku). This word is often used metaphorically, as an honorific second-person pronoun. In this usage, its literal translation is "you". For example, in the anime Macross, first aired in 1982, the character Lynn Minmay uses the term this way. Animators Haruhiko Mikimoto and Shōji Kawamori had used the term between themselves as an honorific second-person pronoun since the late 1970s.

The modern slang form, which is distinguished from the older usage by being written only in hiragana (おたく), katakana (オタク or, less frequently, ヲタク) or rarely in rōmaji, first appeared in public discourse in the 1980s, through the work of humorist and essayist Akio Nakamori. His 1983 series An Investigation of "Otaku" (『おたく』の研究 "Otaku" no Kenkyū), printed in the lolicon magazine Manga Burikko, applied the term to unpleasant fans in caricature.
>>
>>15709919
So was Frontier.
>>
>>15709957
SDF was mostly great.
>>
>>15709827
I'm not Kawamori so that's not my problem.
>>
>>15706711
>t. Macek cocklets

You know, I just need to get this off my chest. Really, what is it with you Macross fags and shitting on Macek? He's been dead for years AND he was only a producer and not likely behind Harmony Gold's shitty corporate practices. Yet Frank Agrama, the owner of HG, convicted embezzler and the one who should really be the target of your ire gets a fucking free pass. Are you people literally retarded?
>>
>>15710143
>Macek was only a producer
yeah no biggie, he was only the dude in charge of robotech, are you for real dude? you do know that producers have incredible amounts of influence over the projects under their charge, right? macek could have totally tried to renegotiate the rights for macross past SDF in the 90's, but nooooooo, he just kept on trying to push his retarded abortion of a series with some hilariously half baked productions.

agrama being an incredibly dirty greaseball isn't exactly hidden knowledge either.
>>
>>15710245
>I don't know how productions work: the post

Wow, you Macrossfags ARE retarded. Producers don't negotiate or renegotiate rights, that's the job of those higher up the corporate food chain, in this case the Executive Producer , aforementioned scumbag Frank Agrama, Macek's boss. Next you're going to tell me that Tomino owns Gundam and can sell it to whoever he wants.

I mean, there are things you could legitimately criticise Macek for, like shoehorning Macross, Southern Cross and Mospaeda into being a single series rather than making them some kind of anthology. But you people are pissing on the grave of a dead man not only for something he didn't do, but had no power over. You are pathetic.
>>
>>15709827
Casuals really shouldn't be underestimated. I'm reminded of how people will pay out the ass for a shitty <$20 Star Wars figure made in the hundreds of thousands when it's brand new at Walmart, but there are plenty of really decent Sideshow figures produced in only a few thousand units, that basically nobody gives a fuck because they were never at Walmart. I mean, if money is no object, and you already have to buy online, why not get something nice? But they really just don't give a fuck about things that don't exist at big box stores.
>>
But why?

There are no fucking robotech fans left.
Even if they say they own copyright, it's still not 100% certain. There is always a small chance that they can lose the copyright case.
And are they not affraid of weebs' outcry? I know that Macross community is extremely small in the west. Besides weebs are powerless and no one cares about them. But there is still a small chance this can turn into a big meme, get on news, crowd may get angry and sink the movie. Just look at GitS movie. Weebs were shitting on the quality of adaptation so much before it even was released that this negativity was picked by major news sites and blogs. This negative exposure did a huge hit on movie's box office.
>>
Seeing as Harmony Gold are sueing people RIGHT NOW over the Unseen redesigns done by FlyingDebris, I reserve the right to call them cockfags and wish they never got their hand on the damn license.
>>
>>15702176
>I disliked Delta as much as the next guy
Next guy here, but I loved Delta.
>>
>>15715563
>RIGHT NOW
Just googled it and it's fucking true - https://dockets.justia.com/docket/washington/wawdce/2:2017cv00327/242820
>>
File: 1500844577472.png (340KB, 528x906px) Image search: [Google]
1500844577472.png
340KB, 528x906px
>>15715652
>People will defend this.
>>
>>15710776
>n-no Macek was FORCED to make shitty anime dubs
lol
is that why they call it agrama's vision™ oh wait
>>
>>15715676
Yeah, everyone knows the Atlas is a stolen Scopedog.
>>
ALL
>>
>>15706720
>Was it absolutely necessary to retcon so much of SDF for the sake of fanservice?

Zero didn't retcon SDF though. It's like, specifically placed time wise so it doesn't, it's a side-story not a prequel.

Like, what do you even think was a problem, modified F-14s still being in service instead of the F-203 you see for about 15 seconds in a flashback to Roy's past in Rainy Night?
>>
>>15715676
And the said designs from which Battletech mechs are based on aren't (Dis)Harmony Gold's

Some people (radically) defending Robotech over the original shows that are based on is likely saying that (Dis)Harmony Gold did "nothing" wrong.
>>
>>15712694
I'm glad their Harlock scrub dub failed from the start, so at least they abandoned squatting on it.
>>
>>15703111
>Almost everything that changed in the story is actually just changes to the setting and nearly 100% of that is in the narration and not character dialogue

What's absolutely bizarre is that you think this is like, irrelevant or something.

I mean hey, the setting, tone and reasons why people do things are completely different, but because they didn't splice footage or recolor things it's just the same thing?
>>
>>15703111
>Minmay's suicide pact
wait what?
>>
File: Sammie_Showdown.png (230KB, 559x417px) Image search: [Google]
Sammie_Showdown.png
230KB, 559x417px
>>15703111
have you FORGOTTEN they killed this girl and her buddies off because she wasent allowed to be in the sequels
>>
>>15716620
iirc when Hikaru and Minmay crash into the unused and inaccessible unused part of the Macross and are trapped there, Minmay eventually wigs out thinking they won't be found starts saying they should die there together
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.