[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Captain Earth ok? I need some drawn mecha action.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

File: Captain-Earth.jpg (346KB, 710x400px) Image search: [Google]
Captain-Earth.jpg
346KB, 710x400px
Is Captain Earth ok?

I need some drawn mecha action.
>>
>>15682824
It was good, Pitz was the best part.
>>
>>15682824
I don't know since I'm not you.
>>
>>15682824
No. It's bad.
>>
>>15682824
It's not terrible, but it's not good either.
I really, really wanted to like it, but it's just so fucking boring. It tries to make its villains titillating, but they just come off as lame victims of J-pop fashion with a success rate lower than Team Rocket.
>>
>>15682824
It got boring too fast.
>>
>>15682824

Realtalk: the show has some high points and some low.

I really liked the mecha designs, the show builds up some nice plot early on, and the protagonist team is super comfy and has wonderful interactions with each other. The downtime scenes with this group are great.

The show has a couple of lackluster fights, but a bunch of good ones. If you are looking for action, you'll get some that looks pretty. And the Impact Launch sequence is pretty fucking cool.

Unfortunately, in the last third of the show a bunch of screentime is spent dealing with a very minor villain faction that doesn't matter, and the last two episodes of the show involving some serious bullshit that wasn't set up beforehand in any way beyond the most vague of vague "hints", which replaces major portions of the final conflict the show has been promising you in the previous 24 episodes. The ending you get still has some great stuff, but depending how invested you were in the plot up until then its can be pretty goddamn frustrating.

It has some serious wasted potential that could have been easily fixed with some extra effort by the writing staff to better convey the story they told, but I'm still glad I watched it and it has a bunch of elements I enjoyed and even ripped off for my own mecha games (/tg/'s my home board).

So I can't promise you a 10/10 show that you are going to love, but I think you should watch it anyway. I can be pretty harsh in my critiques, so what I found frustrating you might forgive. And the first stretch of episodes I remember really fondly, even despite the ending.
>>
>>15682824
Comfy as fuck but a lot of wasted potential and the main robot had the constitution of tissue paper.

Watch it tho
>>
File: Robin Goodfellow.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Robin Goodfellow.png
1MB, 1600x900px
>>15682824
Wasted potential, the anime.

The evil boss is pretty sexy though.
>>
>>15682824
It's like the opposite of evangelion, with positive, healthy youthful sexuality instead of a freudian nightmarescape of broken people coping sexually with their various psychoses.
Unfortunately, this show had writer/editor problems and the plot ends up losing focus and it becomes one of those secret ultra mega villain out of nowhere endings, which is just irritating. Especially when it becomes super obvious what's happening well before it happens.
>>
File: captain earth-flumpool.jpg (37KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
captain earth-flumpool.jpg
37KB, 600x849px
>>15682824
It's comfy and the action is pretty good. It won't blow your mind or anything, but it does a fine job of doing the classic "giant robot piloting as coming-of-age" story with a bigger emphasis on intimacy (sexual and emotional) which is enhanced due to it taking place over the course of the protagonist's summer vacation.
>>
File: 1360811946009.jpg (370KB, 1242x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1360811946009.jpg
370KB, 1242x1200px
I liked it; it was more or less Star Driver 2.0, but with more combat and less NTR backstory drama.
>>
File: ana.gif (94KB, 142x231px) Image search: [Google]
ana.gif
94KB, 142x231px
>comfy mecha
sign me the fuck up
>>
>>15683473
>Wasted potential, the anime.
That's like 90% of mecha anime. Think Aldonoah Zero and Valvrave. I actually need to google Aldonoah name, it's just that forgettable.
>>
>>15684728
Captain Earth is nowhere near the garbage dump that those two turds belong in
>>
>>15682824
Yeah. It missteps a few times and there's a number of things that get brought up and never expanded on enough for my liking, but it's pretty, interesting, has decent music and action, a couple really good bits, and a sort of stubbornly optimistic viewpoint that I found really refreshing.

Combination sequences are top fucking notch, too.
>>
>>15684779
I found the repeated combination scenes boring; especially due to the lack of variety in equipment. No real cross-combining of different unit parts either. Also the almost always last-minute victory was especially off-putting.
>>
>>15684730
True, at least Aldnoah and Valvrave could hold a semi-coherent plot together. Captain Earth deserves far worse.
>>
>>15683235
This. It was...just boring. For me, dunno how others felt about it.

Kuromukuro did it better.
>>
I remember this being boring but don't remember anything from it besides the brown girl being cute.
>>
>>15682824
I rather enjoyed it. Some mechs don't get the screen time they deserve, but it was a fun show.
>>
>>15684897
>at least Aldnoah and Valvrave could hold a semi-coherent plot together
That wasn't captain earth's problem, it's issue was that it was played too straight.
There aren't high stakes most of the time and most of the characters are just too sensible.
Which is weird since usually this is what people want in anime, but it really didn't do good here.
A lot of the character drama is handled very quickly which is another thing a lot of /m/ anons complain about when it's dragged out.
For example when Teppei starts to question who he is because of his alien origins that shit gets finished in like 1 or two episodes and isn't really turned into anything which I guess is the mature way to handle it, but that won't give time for the viewer to sympathize unless it's handled very very well.
>>
>>15685723
I liked the way the leads handled themselves with maturity, it's just that the villains and the stakes were so underwhelming.
Yes, it establishes that if one Kill-T-Gang just touches Earth, everything is lost. But that doesn't give room for the stakes to rise. They're established early as all or nothing and have nowhere to go from there.
Which means the conflict is just the same thing over and over until the last two episodes.
>>
>>15682824
It's the most ok show ever.
>>
>>15686081
This I think really touches on the crux of the problem. The stakes are as high as they can be from the word go. We lose = end of the human race, every single episode. It's the same type of concept as Evangelion. But in Evangelion at least each of the angels attacked a different way, and what's more, having the threat be a fixed factor was because it wasn't the focus of the show. The real rising conflict was that between the increasingly stressed and deranged characters, and the tension wasn't from "oh god, what new threat will there be next?", it was "oh god, how long can these idiots manage to hold themselves together?"
While in Captain Earth everyone from the teenagers to the adults were reasonable and they carried out their duties professionally regardless of their personal issues. There was never any question of whether the team would collapse under the weight of its own mental problems.
>>
The fact that a show with that mecha design, those girls and that title could end up being anything less than awesome really worries me. How hard did they have to fuck up to counteract all that?
>>
>>15686111
The director, assistant director and script writer all worked on Star Driver.

On the other hand, the character designer and key mechanical designers didn't.

Should give you an idea.
>>
File: 1402963151225.png (116KB, 1664x1068px) Image search: [Google]
1402963151225.png
116KB, 1664x1068px
>>15686111
>How hard did they have to fuck up to counteract all that?
Make the result of just one enemy landing be an instant world-ender instead of becoming a race against the clock to stop said landed enemy from actually going apocalyptic.

So every battle is practically the same; the enemy/enemies momentarily pushing back the protags, some deus ex machina moment happens, and the protags save the day. Everything resolved in one-two episodes and either never touched upon again or only appearing in the very end as "lol surprise twist!"
>>
>>15686111
If you've ever seen any other mecha show by Bones, you already ought to know

>>15686081
>>15686106
Go watch a mecha show from the 1970s that isn't Gundam sometime. It'll be a good learning experience for the both of you.
>>
File: 1317603122874.jpg (2MB, 4235x2337px) Image search: [Google]
1317603122874.jpg
2MB, 4235x2337px
>>15686135
Star Driver at least set the bar low on the "if enemy wins threat level", and even then, the original result would just have been being able to permanently use their machines in the real world and rule over it. And that really only escalated in the last few episodes to "permanent world end/world rule".

Further Star Driver brought back some of the otherwise one-off enemies back for either a rematch or joining the final fight because it wasn't what they had been fighting for.

Sure, the story was just as simple and straightforward as CE's, but it wasn't so "safe" either, with the elements, as >>15685723 and >>15686081 mentiond.
>>
Well...... do the enemies at least have cool designs?
>>
>>15686278
Very cool designs.
Every enemy mecha is very well imagined and each of them perfectly accent their pilots.

Captain Earth is basically g-reco.
The art direction, music, animation and other production values are stellar except for the story which isn't horrible, but has one or two factors that make it mediocre watch.
>>
>>15686327
Okay
Super Robot Wars when?
>>
>>15686347
I think it was already in the mobile game, albeit for a limited time
>>
>>15686355
Eh, even if they do bring it to the main srw series it would probably be dumped in one of the sidestory handheld game like BX or something like that.
>>
>>15682860
>not genocide fairy and Puck being a huge fucking slut
>>
>>15686362
Why are AI such sluts?
>Puck
>Sharon
>ADA
>>
>>15686358
That's for the best, really, SRW shouldn't have inter-game continuity outside of the OG series, especially since they can never keep the fucking series lineup consistent between games.
>>
>>15686387

ADA and Sharon both only had one husbando.

ADA could have been saved. She wasnt prepared for human emotions, and lacked the emotional maturity not to throw a tantrum. She was basically a child.
>>
>>15686347
It was in Card Chronicle back when that was still a thing, the only new series introduced in that game.
>>
File: 1411525545905.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1411525545905.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>15684800
Still, it's got by far the best "classic" Super Robot designs of any show this past decade, and they work well with the combination sequences, so I never got tired of watching them. Pic unrelated(?)
>>
>>15689316
Fair enough; I guess I was just spoiled expecting variety on the combiner element since it was a big organization, and they at least came up with some variant equipment on the Nebula and Flare Engines.

For that matter, expecting a situation that forced multiple and sometimes repeated part swapping (between Engines; in a manner loosely similar to Aquarion) or even partial alternate weapon attachments (akin to Dai-Guard's prototype arm equipment).
>>
File: Bushido.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Bushido.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>15689316
>Still, it's got by far the best "classic" Super Robot designs of any show this past decade
Ahem
>>
>>15689418
samurai flamenco was only that genre for like, two episodes though.
>>
>>15689431
>>15689418

I still haven't finished SamFlam, that shit got too crazy for me.
I htought it was gonna be Kick-Ass the anime, but then it went full WHAT? on me
>>
>>15689431
Doesn't matter if we're just talking designs
It's a crime that practically nothing in Samurai Flamenco has any action figures. Its design work is great

>>15689456
Yeah, well, if it helps, the final arc is really low key compared to the prior three arcs. That in and of itself was the biggest surprise of the show
>>
>>15689418
we did not deserve samflam
>>
File: 1400212094841.webm (2MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1400212094841.webm
2MB, 800x450px
I honestly don't even remember anything from this show.
>>
>>15690343
>first few epusodes sets up the teams and goals
>a good 7-9 episodes focused on villain introductions
>another 3 for salty dog (basically seele & the UN)
>some other stuff that's foggy and then 2-3 episodes for the finale.
>>
>>15690343
I only remember the openings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MxdmQXgteY
>>
>>15690343
The amount of cutesy displayed by the female character makes me uncomfortable, and that's only a webm. Is the whole series that sugary?
>>
>>15693449
Is this smut cute to you?
>>
>>15686151
Star Driver was no fucking different in fact it just didn't go anywhere and ended abruptly
>>
>>15690343
Yeah, I remember most of the early stuff, bits and bobs of midgame and the ending is pretty much blank in my head.
>>
>>15693449

Not entirely. Hana is a sweety, sure. But she also is pretending to be a retarded moeblob. She spent her life raised by a government agency that is trying to control her power. Playing dumb so they underestimate her is her defense mechanism. If they had any idea what she could really do, she'd be locked up and/or in sedated the rest of her life.
>>
>>15686151
> Star Driver at least set the bar low on the "if enemy wins threat level"

Only technically. The Crux coudl afford to win a fight, since they weren't going to instantly end the world if they did.

But the problem was on the other side. The Crux could afford to win a fight, but Takuto couldn't afford to LOSE a fight. The Crux can repair their cybodies, he can't. He literally wasn't allowed to take damage the entire show, because if the Tauburn lost a hand in a fight it would NEVER get that hand back for the rest of the show. If Tauburn was defeated, the show ends because the protagonist loses the ability to participate.
>>
>>15697828
Doesn't his machine repair while in the other dimension storage? It isn't trapped in the regular dimension with the other machine bodies, and thus doesn't need repair like the others.
>>
>>15682824

One amusing thing about Captain Earth is that it's a giant metaphor for sex. It starts with the phallic Livblaster (and the loli playing a recorder), then the villains, and finally the fact that the protagonist must save the world by penetrating the final enemy.
>>
>>15699637

If it does, this is never mentioned. Tauburn never takes even cosmetic damage. Presumably because the plot can't afford it to.

the show would be greatly improved if all of the cybodies auto-repaired during any Phase Up. The risk of people dying during attempting to repair their cybody never went anywhere because no one ever actually died, so ditch that plot point. Cybodies repair during phase up, which means Tauburn can afford to lose fights and be destroyed because the very next thing the crux will do is break a seal and start the next phase, which puts all the pieces back on the board.

There. Now Stardriver fights can be allowed to feel like they could go either way, instead of 'Tauburn wins, because it literally has to'.
>>
>>15683310
>the protagonist team is super comfy and has wonderful interactions with each other. The downtime scenes with this group are great

>>15684779
>a sort of stubbornly optimistic viewpoint that I found really refreshing

This. I loved the cast. Daichi is a pretty cool and level-headed main character, and all the relations between them including a certain hamfisted romance out of nowhere feels alright
>>
>that laser spin on the ground episode
Was great but I lost the webm
>>
File: Flare_Engine_Impactor.png (160KB, 395x652px) Image search: [Google]
Flare_Engine_Impactor.png
160KB, 395x652px
;_;
>>
>>15682824
I dropped it while it was airing. A shame it was so fucking boring since it looked so beautiful.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.