[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shows you're watching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 19

File: Zigg Mack.png (784KB, 960x738px) Image search: [Google]
Zigg Mack.png
784KB, 960x738px
ITT: Talk about the stuff you're watching.

I'm watching Space Runaway Ideon and having a blast, myself. I really like all of the action, and I find the music is great as well. I find it super interesting how a lot of the human characters seem kind of bitter towards each other (Looking at you, Sheryl), but at the same time they mesh together well and do their best under the circumstances. I also like the Buff Clan machines- they have a medley of fighters that all seem to work rather well, and use all of them whenever possible. The Zigg Mack is also freakin' cool.

Why is Kasha so bloodthirsty?
>>
>>15682667
Fancy that, I'm also currently watching Ideon. I have more mixed feelings about it because no one in the show is remotely likable or even apparently capable of feeling positive emotions or personal empathy. It's like no one in the show understands that there's a such thing as a human relationship that isn't "co-worker". All they talk about are setting details and what their plans are, never anything about who they are or what they mean to another. The plots are pretty repetitive as well, just as I'd heard. On the other hand, it does have some nice action scenes.

In between episodes of Ideon, I'm also watching Yamato Takeru, which at least has one likable character. Its art style is really cool, all the shading reminds me a little bit of Dragon's Heaven. Action scenes are pretty bad though; they're short and generally poorly animated, and rarely do they involve stakes. Every time, the villains run away after taking one minor-looking blow. The plot hasn't gone anywhere yet either, so I'm not too hot on the show right now, but I do see a lot of potential in it at the point I'm at
>>
I've been watching Dancouga, just hit the halfway point. It's pretty unique in the sense that the titular mecha isn't seen for a very long time, I think it was first seen in episode 16. Definitely an interesting choice and it really built the character of the smaller mechs. Also really loving the style and animation of the show. Even though it's sometimes quite rough around the edges (in-betweens nowhere to be seen in a few cuts) it manages to look really awesome and fun.
>>
>>15682667
I'm watching the Mazinkaiser OVA, episode 1 was nice and as a newbie to the franchise(Only watched SKL) it expositions the basics well enough.
>>
I've got Dolores on the go at the moment, it's literally one of the cutest things I've ever watched even though you regularly see people get badly injured and get killed. Really good stuff.
>>
File: escaflowne.jpg (109KB, 766x548px) Image search: [Google]
escaflowne.jpg
109KB, 766x548px
>>15682667
I'm watching Escaflowne
Yoko Kannos score is excellent
I want to marry Alan
The mecha sword fights are pretty sick
>>
Halfway through watching Jin-Roh with a friend and we're taking a break to order food. Hate the character design, love the mechanical design. Mixed bag.
>>
>>15682667
I'm watching nothing

I almost never bother to stop playing vidya and shitposting on this site to actually go watch anime.
>>
I'm watching Victory Gundam, I'm glad I gave it another shot. The mobile suit design is pretty cool, and I like the characters.
>>
>>15683189
I've had the whole Victory Series in Blu-Ray on my HDD for a while now, but I couldn't even finish episode 1 when I tried to first watch it. Should I give it another go? I'm about to watch the new Thunderbolt stuff.
>>
>>15683194
You definitely should, I did the same a few months ago. The first episode wasn't really all that tight in my opinion, but the ones after help make it better.
>>
Finally took the time to finish Code Geass and am now watching season 2, obvious feels scenes included.

Except the comedic school and teen drama scenes, they suck.
>>
>>15683184
This
>>
>>15682867
Hum, I rather like Bes, Kasha, and Cosmo. They seem the most sympathetic of the Solo Ship crew, though Cosmo is very hotheaded. I don't quite agree with the setting detail thing- I feel a lot like the characters do discuss exactly who they are, and what it means to be in the situation they're in.
>>
>>15682667
>>15682867
I'm also watching Ideon(seen through episode 22)
It's been a real treat so far and really keeps me guessing as to what will happen next. I've really enjoyed seeing how the crew's reactions to Karala has changed up to this point. She's really saved their bacon several times and everyone responds to this, be it gradually.

Ideon always struck me as a dumb, goofy mecha(that I loved anyway of course), but as the series has gone on, it is actually really creepy and unnerving. That screech is absolutely terrifying and EVA 01's Berserk mode has nothing on that shit
>>
>>15684251
Well I'm 13 episodes in and I still know little to nothing about any of these people except Karala. She's practically the main character at this point given how the plot has mostly revolved around her and how she's the only character to give the other side the benefit of the doubt. Apart from her, I have no idea why anyone else acts the way they do. Everyone else but Bes seems needlessly mean spirited and task focused, and Bes just seems to be in love with Karala more because the writers wanted at least one other person on her side more than anything else. He hasn't expressed a single quality that he likes about her, so it comes off as quite forced.
>>
>>15686171
I donno about you, but I find it pretty easy to understand- for folks like Cosmo and Kasha, their parents are dead and they're pissed off teens piloting a giant ass robot against ayylmaos who have almost without exception been assholes. Bes is the boss, stressed out but trying his best in a ship full of antsy refugees and steadily diminishing actual military staff. Sheryl is a researcher but also a bitch. Every single one of them is in quite a stressful situation- they're being doggedly chased by hostile, well-equipped, and skilled aliens who have almost never, to their perception, shown them real mercy. Karala's behavior changes little of this.

Characters like Techno, Lotta, Joliver, etc. are kind of in similar situations, only they aren't quite as angsty because they aren't piloting the Ideon directly most of the time. However, everyone has a lot to deal with and nobody can really leave the situation either. I can't blame them for being unhappy, but I'm definitely entertained.
>>
>>15686384
Cosmo and Kasha don't really even mention their parents outside of throwaway lines and Sheryl isn't really personally responsible for anyone's life but her own, and yet she's still very rude in a situation where they need to cooperate more than anything. Also, Techno has been piloting Ideon, so I don't know what you mean

Anyway, I can't help but wonder if this is the point on account of what happens in Be Invoked, but if so, they didn't need to stretch it out this far
>>
>>15682667
>ITT: Talk about the stuff you're watching.

Great Mazinger. It's the first time I've watched the series in Japanese (only 35 episodes subbed though) since I was little. It brings back memories but damn the show is so stupid I can't wrap my head around it anymore. Boss and his robot, his two idiotic friends and the crow. The fucking crow. Tetsuya is badass though. No moeshit in there. As for Jun nice '70s babe, and she can drive a motorcycle just fine.

The episode with the mechanical dracula was to put it mildy 10000 times worse than the Gundam island episode.
>>
>>15686403
Hum, I always thought Techno was a secondary crewman, a gunner. Wasn't it mostly Hatari doing actual piloting?
Ah well, I guess I just have lower standards, I'm having fun regardless.
>>
>>15686436
I don't even know who Hatari is, all I know is that when Cosmo and Kasha speak to someone in Ideo-Nova, it's always Techno

Anyway, I just got done with episode 14, and I do gotta say that the characters are getting better as I go on, although it was kinda weird to see Cosmo display much more emotion and sorrow over the death of some nice old lady he knew for an hour or two than he did for his own family
>>
>>15682667
I just finished the Nadesico movie, and I'm currently watching the Kikaida tokusatsu to celebrate the 45th anniversary. Probably gonna be watching the Zeta Gundam movie trilogy next and then I'm gonna watch Gundam ZZ when the Gundam Info channel starts uploading it.
>>
On episode 25 of Votoms. I've really like it so far, but the pacing in the last couple of episodes become to sporadic. Hopefully it'll return to form once the Kummen arc wraps up.
>>
>>15682667
Nothing, IBO ruined mecha for me.
>>
>>15686461
Hatari is the navigator of Solo Ship, the guy with blue hair always near Bes.
>>
File: 1462448768179.jpg (67KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
1462448768179.jpg
67KB, 453x604px
>>15686470
>Zeta movie trilogy then ZZ
>>
File: [2017.07.03_19.02.36].jpg (88KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
[2017.07.03_19.02.36].jpg
88KB, 960x720px
Currently watching Gundam 0079 for the first time, I plan to wtach the complete UC

Pretty good so far, it's the first show in a while where I like every single characters, even the kids. I like how Zeon soldiers, despite being the designated villains, are all relatable and respectable.
>>
>>15688030
>>15687593
>>15684257
>>15682867
>>15682667
Just curious, are you guys new?
>>
File: [2017.07.01_14.03.11].jpg (307KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
[2017.07.01_14.03.11].jpg
307KB, 1440x1080px
>>15688045
I'm >>15688030 and while I've been watching anime regularly for 15 years now I was never a mecha fan. I recently got into gunpla building through a friend and watching G Gundam with her
>>
>>15688057
Yeah sorry, to clarify I just meant new to mecha. Anyway I hope you enjoy 0079. It's my personal favorite.
>>
>>15688045
To robots in general not really, I've seen all of the original Toeizinger, multiple Gundams, etc. I'm just watching Ideon now because I downloaded all of the episodes individually and had them on another HD.
>>
I'm watching Zeta, and after watching about 26 episodes, I'm honestly at my wits' end trying to finish it, because most of the main cast is simply fucking insufferable. I've recently switched to watch some Patlabor and Turn A for a change of pace, and they are just so much better.
>>
I've been jumping around a lot between a fair number of shows. Normally I binge watch but not a whole lots grabbed and held onto my attention recently. I guess the two most recent things are Tetsuwan Atom (1980) and the original Ultraman.

I started Tetsuwan Atom after Atom the Beginning finished airing and it's interesting enough so far. I'm only about a dozen episodes in. I'm on episode 20 on Ultraman and it's been hit and miss depending on the episode. Some like island episode were interesting whereas others like the kids drawing that came to life isn't.

And the numerous other things I've started: Daigunder, Changeman, Nedesico, Tylor and some non-/m/ things, Sukeban Deka and Project ARMS
>>
>>15688045
Not at all. What kind of newfag watches Yamato Takeru? Only reason it took me this long to get to Ideon is that I really don't like Tomino much
>>
>>15682941
Dancouga has some really nice animation and some of the worst I've ever seen. It kind of reminds me of the original Macross in that respect, though skewed towards the shitty.

Damn if those high points aren't real high, though.
>>
>>15688045
I'm>>15684257
no, not super. I haven't seen a TON of anime(only about 120 anime completed), but I watch mostly mecha, and older mecha at that.

I've been on /m/ regularly for probably 5-ish years and off-and-on before then
>>
File: rahxephon-29-1.jpg (157KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
rahxephon-29-1.jpg
157KB, 800x600px
>>15682667
Just started this shit right here.

So far I get the feeling it's like a re-imagining of EVA but spooky as fuck.
>>
We just recently got Netflix for our household so I took the chance to take a look at Voltron: Legendary Defender. Only seen the first episode so far but it's off to a promising start. The cast is entertaining and all the action scenes were pretty great. Looking forward to seeing how it holds up as I go.

I've also been making my way through Medarot/Medabots on and off for the last month. Lighthearted, lots of visual humour and robots fighting. A lot of good fun.
>>
>>15688045
I've been into mecha for 6-7 years, just never got around to watching Votoms until recently.
>>
Finally got around to watching Gundam X. I can tell exactly why it got cancelled but some scenes are still very charming. IDK, maybe it has something to do with the fact that the setting/visuals kinda reminds me of Trigun with Mechs. Would probably be a much better show overall if the dialogue wasn't so stiff and hamfisted at times. Just got past the part with Carris and although I wanted to care about him, I just couldn't. The music is GOAT tier though, I haven't heard a single piece yet that I didn't love. Also, Shagia and Olba are pretty cool.
>>
>>15688016
I know the movies end on a way that makes ZZ impossible, but I figured they were worth watching.

Past me is an idiot: I'm only one movie in and this shit is awful. It doesn't even do its damn job as a compilation movie, and it just assumes you've seen the Zeta TV series so you can fill in the gaps.
>>
>>15689237
Pretty good first half, pretty awful second half with the exception of two very good episodes. Eventually it becomes obvious that the writer doesn't actually know where to go or what's going on and is more concerned with throwing out random meaningless words and terms to sound mysterious and complicated than writing decent characters or a coherent plot.
>>
>>15682667

How big is the stuff in Ideon anyway?

I looked at the weight of a lot of the Buff Clan's units and they actually outweigh Titans from 40k so now I'm curious.
>>
>>15691168
The Ideon itself is 105 meters tall. It's honestly a rather big machine even in its parts; each of the individual components has room for multiple gunners and loads of missile racks.
The Zigg Mack is apparently 99 meters tall, Dogg Mack 79 meters, and other statistics can be looked up.

I think it may be important to keep in mind the disparity in technologies between 40k and other settings as well as the super materials or lack thereof that may be present in both settings. More important however is the general inconsistency and variation of 40k's numbers, as well as how sci-fi numbers writing is usually quite wonky by nature.
>>
>>15691168
The actual Ideon is about half as tall as Gunbuster 105M vs 240M
>>
I've been watching some of the Votoms side stuff. Mellowlink was pretty fun, but I ddn't like Roots of Ambtion or Last Red Shoulder much, they feel unnessecary, Chirico's story felt complete during the series.
>>
I've been watching Juspion.

It's like a prog rock space adventure fever dream. Loving it so far.
>>
Went through episode 5 of TB, but I think I'll do what a friend of mine is doing, and wait until I can either get the movie, or sit my ass down, and watch the rest in one go.

That aside, been watching Double Zeta, and BOY, was I not prepared for Leina dying. Or anything else in that episode.

Not an anime, indeed.
>>
File: xabungle - plot armor.jpg (45KB, 631x964px) Image search: [Google]
xabungle - plot armor.jpg
45KB, 631x964px
Finished Vifam and the sequel OVA, the latter was pretty good. Way better music than the show itself. Wonder what happened there.

About 10 episodes deep into Xabungle. Wonder if stuff like pic related are just meme subs or if it's actually going to be said like that.
>>
>>15691963
Same Guy. Just finished Shining Heresy, It's well animated, but it feels like it was made to leave Votoms open for more sequels.
>>
File: 1497937784199.jpg (2MB, 3025x4502px) Image search: [Google]
1497937784199.jpg
2MB, 3025x4502px
Just started Zabunguru, I'm liking it a lot. Probably the most enjoyable of Tomino's works I've watched so far.
>>
>>15692126
It's very fun!
>>
>>15692115
To me it was just the opposite. Fyana was Chirico's last remaining motivation from the TV series. With her gone, there's really not much left for him to do. That's probably why they didn't make another OVA for over 10 years
>>
File: dekka_bau.jpg (21KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
dekka_bau.jpg
21KB, 300x200px
>>15691168
>>15691205
>>15691209
If you guys want, all the Ideon stats are at http://counter-x.net/ideon/technology/buff_clan/index.html

What really shocked me was that even the fighters were huge. Pic related I remembered as a smallish spacd fighter, turns out it's 18m long and 1200 tons. For reference, the F-16 is 19 tons
>>
>>15691991
>a prog rock space adventure fever dream
Elaborate.
>>
>>15692104
>About 10 episodes deep into Xabungle. Wonder if stuff like pic related are just meme subs or if it's actually going to be said like that.

Xabungle is very meta, and Tomino likes to break the fourth wall. From time to time it's fucking hilarious. So yeah there is going to be more of it get used to it man.
>>
>>15693462

>goofy main character
>space cantina fights feat. aliens
>kaiju v mecha fights
>episodic format with MC, android sidekick and "cute" pet alien traveling from planet to planet fighting evil
>crazy pacing without being unintelligible

It feels like they toku'd up the original Star Wars trilogy
>>
I'm going through Gunbuster and now Diebuster for the first time. Gunbuster was amazing, Diebuster I'm not very convinced over I'd expected a lot more.
>>
File: godannar.jpg (965KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
godannar.jpg
965KB, 1280x1024px
Godannar but it's a couple months since I last watched an episode
>>
>>15692190

I thought at first that maybe the Dekka Bau's bunker buster-like warhead would comprise the bulk of the fighter's tonnage, then I realized that the Gondo Bau was even heavier. Those are some fucked up weight specs.
>>
>>15693481
Yeah, it's generally agreed that Diebuster is nowhere near as good. It somewhat redeems itself by the end, but Gunbuster set a high bar.
>>
>>15696086
Is it, after a fashion? These are machines capable of flight into and out of atmosphere by themselves; wouldn't they have to be huge by nature depending on the technology level?
>>
I'm trying my damndest to get through G Gundam, just finished episode 18, but it's just not clicking with me. Think it's because it's monster-of-the-week formula instead of war drama like with UC.

Should I just move on to another AU or does G deviate from it's current formula and become worth it eventually?
>>
>>15693466
>get used to it man
I am waiting for it. Hadn't shown up in 10 episodes and I think it's hilarious.
>>
File: Ramming.png (909KB, 960x738px) Image search: [Google]
Ramming.png
909KB, 960x738px
I can't get enough of this.
>>
>>15682667
I haven't watched any anime in a month and that an episode of Ariel which itself was before another month or so. I need to watch some Japorobo cartoons tonight.
>>
I started watching the Gundam series in release order last year and liked pretty much everything so far but I'm really struggling with Victory.
I'm at episode 14 now and I guess it's getting a bit better but I dislike pretty much everything about it, the characters, the art, the Zanscare suits are horrible, the Victory is meh.
The GunEZ is ok though.
>>
>>15696645
I'd give it another 6 episodes. Some plot stuff comes together into a more cohesive package in those IIRC. If it still doesn't grab you at that point, I don't think it will.
>>
>>15696538
Only if you've managed to delude yourself into thinking Gunbuster was good
>>
I started Transformers Prime recently. It's alright so far, but mostly just serving as something playing in the background
>>
>>15682667

Ideon's supposed to be Eva's prototype, right? Wikipedia's saying that this show was a huge inspiration for Evangelion.
>>
File: UFO_Titles.png (170KB, 465x343px) Image search: [Google]
UFO_Titles.png
170KB, 465x343px
>>15703076
No, this is Eva's prototype.
>>
>>15703076
I mean, I guess there's a little bit of it in EoE, but most of the show is just the Buff Clan chasing the Solo ship around the universe. There's not really anything like that in Eva.

Eva is much more similar to Mazinger and all its clones.
>>
>>15699790
that's an in-motion shot. Animators distort the proportions like this to show motion, it's also why the draw all those vertical lines on the thigh and coming off the left arm. this shot lasts probably for a half second and is not representative of the way ideon is depicted 99% of the time. That, said there are some genuine QUALITY moments. This is not one of them, this is normal and barely noticeable if you aren't actually pausing the video and looking for things to make fun of on 4chan. But anyways you have nothing to worry about because 3D models don't do this, and mecha is never going to be anything other than 3D from now on.
>>
>>15703090
>No, this is Eva's prototype

Do not insult the glorious 70s British science fiction series. UFO is no inspiration for Evangelion. Ed Straker would shit all over Gendo.
>>
File: This gives me weird boners.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
This gives me weird boners.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>15703129

My dad would rant and rave about UFO growing up. It wasn't until DVD became a thing that I wound up buying it for him for Christmas. We started watching it and I was legitimately blown away by it. From the subject matter to the sorts of things it tackles, it really doesn't feel at home with a lot of it's contemporaries.

>that episode where Straker has to choose between his kid and a SHADO operation

Holy Hell, was that episode rough. I can see why so many sci-fi fans and creators obsess over the show to this day. It was way ahead of its time.
>>
>>15703121
>insinuating I was complaining and posting low quality memes
>insinuating I thought pic related was "quality"

Anon, I posted that because I thought it was fucking awesome and looked great, not because of the "quality" meme. Christ. It was a terrific moment- ramming the Ganga Lubu and then blasting it in the fuckin' face- and the ensuing duel on the Ideon's body was icing on the cake for me.
>>
>>15682667
Watching through Gaiking, it's neat seeing all the little things that made it into LoDM in various ways.

I'm sort of on and off watching a few other things. FMP's neat, but nothing really that amazing so far. Captain Earth's ok. I'm having trouble keeping on Ryvius, it's not really hooking me that well. And I'm rewatching Daitarn and it's still pretty good, but that's basically on hold since watching two mid-70s shows at the same time isn't something I particularly like doing. (Which is why I've also taken a long break on Mazinger Z)
>>
>>15683052
Escaflowne was a great ride.

>>15692115
I guess there's still something for Chirico to do; going from the ending of the last OVAs, he's now an adoptive daddy for that other Wiseman baby. It might be interesting to see how that turns out, but I think Takahashi has said Chirico's journey is over.

As for myself, the only /m/ related thing I'm watching right now is Knights and Magic. Pretty fun, not as good as Escaflowne, but it's certainly keeping me entertained.
>>
File: 13276545403042[1].jpg (54KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
13276545403042[1].jpg
54KB, 375x500px
I started Giant Gorg a while back, haven't gotten too far. The captain is real fucking boss.
>>
>>15703341

What are Zinnerman and Amuro doing in Giant Gorg ? Sheesh.
>>
>>15703638
If you think that's blatant, you haven't seen Rod Balboa.
>>
>>15703638
I'm pretty sure Sayla dyed her hair, too.
>>
>>15689782
> it just assumes you've seen the Zeta TV series
Yeah, I think you're right. Z could've been trimmed a lot, but the movie doesn't connect everything well either.

ZZ starts even slower and requires even more patience, but IMO eventually becomes more conventionally satisfying than Z
>>
>>15689782
>>15704757

I was excited for the New Translation films when they were first announced because I always thought Zeta had way too much filler despite liking the show overall.

Boy did they fuck it up though.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.