[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have engrish thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 12

Can we have engrish thread?
>>
File: statusclitical.png (315KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
statusclitical.png
315KB, 640x480px
>>
>>
>>
File: 1424582530737.jpg (23KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
1424582530737.jpg
23KB, 704x480px
classic
>>
So why does Engrish happen, anons?

I'd assume they have nippongo to burger translation books to work with, and a lot of engrish words are usually common ones they've probably seen correct spellings of before. Have they just been doing it for the giggleshits?
>>
File: Image.34779.1.jpg (89KB, 555x815px) Image search: [Google]
Image.34779.1.jpg
89KB, 555x815px
>>15678884
The existence of translation books, and of high school English classes, did not ensure that every animation studio had a fluent English speller on hand. The translations were probably done by "that one guy who went to America on vacation 7 years ago".

It's sort of mind-boggling that you think producing accurate translations to a language that uses sounds you can't even distinguish is so easy that accidents have to be purposeful. Try reading technical manuals from that era, produced by actual companies whose workers' livelihood depend in part on readable manuals. You often got stuff like this.

It doesn't help that the English wasn't put there for us to read, but for other Japanese. Here is a joke I've seen from futaba:
>What do you call someone who speaks three languages?
>Trilingual
>What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
>Bilingual
>What do you call someone who speaks one language?
>Japanese
>>
>>15678907
(That's Chinese, not Japanese, by the way, in case it's not clear. It's just the first result for "Engrish manual".)
>>
>>15678907

I don't think your technical manual example applies. Anime engrish is usually in the spelling, not the syntax.
>>
>>15678915
It can be both. You just have a hard time understanding how difficult english actually is because you learned it from birth.
>>
>>15678922

I'm actually ESL but sure, kid.
>>
>>15678926
What does ESL mean?
>>
>>15678930

English as a second language
>>
File: IMG_0077.jpg (93KB, 750x557px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0077.jpg
93KB, 750x557px
>>
>>
File: bucktooth.png (950KB, 962x722px) Image search: [Google]
bucktooth.png
950KB, 962x722px
>>
File: bone marrow.png (2MB, 960x721px) Image search: [Google]
bone marrow.png
2MB, 960x721px
>>
>>15678941

Kek I always thought that was a Japanese analogy/metaphor that didn't translate well
>>
>>15678944
I think it's supposed to be something along the lines of "bare our fangs", but I'm not sure.
>>
>>15678884
Funnily enough, burger comics often make the same kind of mistakes. I'm a Pedro and whenever I see them write in Spanish I mostly facepalm. I even understand some German and I spotted mistakes in that language every now and then.
You'd think that they'd hire a professional for this sort of things.
>>
>>
>>15678922
The weird thing in Victory Gundam is that they actually got someone well-versed in English to proofread Uso's email to Katejina (episode 1), but then your image happens right on episode 2.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.