[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tomino is a hack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

Well that is that. For me anime is a story telling medium and jesus this is bad. It jumps all over the place and although the basic premise of the show is interesting the execution is atrocious.

I can watch 120 episodes of "Gays in space" without getting bored but this show puts me to sleep.

Is first Gundam really the only good thing he ever did? Dammit I hate dropping anime. Gonna watch dotHack luminality now.
>>
>>15667603
Check out Xabungle and Zambot 3.

Those are the two other shows that make me think that Tomino is not a complete hack, but just a decent director of the times. Honestly, there were many in his boat.
>>
>>15667603
k
>>
>>15667620
2nd for Xabungle
>>
>>15667603
To be fair, you're asking a bit much from what essentially is a toy commercial.

His style is distinctive and recognisable. I have mixed feeling about him as both writer and director, but at least his shows are always amusing, because you literally have no idea what the fuck his characters would say or do at any given moment. That's gonna be worth some artistic value, far more than creatively bankrupt cheap-ass shows like Mechander Robo.

There is his comedy, which is legitimately funny most of the time (check L-Gaim for that).
And there is a second half of Ideon which came closer than anything to replicating 2001 Space Odyssey feel on a smaller screen.

I personally sort of liked to some degree almost all his shows, except for Brain Powerd (which was just awful) and King Gainer is probably his work I enjoyed most from start to finish.
Make of it what you will.
>>
>>15667788
I didn't think there was any enjoyment to be had or artistic value in The Wings of Rean whatsoever. L-Gaim wasn't funny, and neither was King Gainer. Both were a letdown in many regards.

Only thing of his I've seen that I thought was legitimately good was Zambot. I'm planning on watching Dunbine, Xabungle and Ideon at some point, but right now I can't be assed.
>>
Aura Battler Dunbine is good though.
>>
>>15667603
What's Gays in Space? Sounds fun. I haven't heard about it.
>>
>>15667603
>Gays in space

What
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (60KB, 363x500px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
60KB, 363x500px
>>15667859
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 480x460px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 480x460px
Another pleb filtered by the kino Dunbine.
Tomino is a god.
KYS
>>
>>15667603
Just finished G-Reco and I'm inclined to agree
>>
>>15667832
Gainer was weird. I get what they were going for with the voyage and all, I'm talking about the dancing. The way its always sorta omnipresent with the OP and ED and the commercial cuts and all. It was supposed to supplement the whimsy he was going for I guess. I feel like G-reco was him trying to refine that feeling after not quite getting it in Gainer the way he wanted. I don't think he got it right in reco either, but he definitely wants to do something whimsical.
>>
I'm working thru Dunbine right now and the Opening reciting the Bastion Well story every time is maximum comfy.
>>
>>15667603

> For me anime is a story telling medium and jesus this is bad.

This anime was mostly about watching giant bug-knight mecha fight each other, and oh boy did it do that well. The rest was all mostly good save a few sub-plot lines that went by way too quickly( like the clown haired Queen falling for the Russian dude and him dying) . I don't really get what you mean by your criticisms though, they are really vague, so I'm not really sure what to say about them. Can you explain in detail what was actually wrong with the show?
>>
>>15668170
Gainer was definitely not supposed to be whimsical. Gainer's parents were killed by one of the people who becomes a close ally. And that was the entire reason Gainer became a nutty shut-in, until he joined Gain, and then went on the exodus.
>>
>>15668264
Gainer certainly wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, but the viewer is definitely intended to take more notice of the lighthearted antics and generally goofy style of the show, rather than focusing on the more depressing things happening in the background. It's a peculiarly Tomino-style way to put a show together - Gainer is far from the only time he's done so.
>>
>>15667603
>hates dunbine
If you can't handle dunbine, I imagine you haven't seen many shows from the 70s and 80s. If you're looking for some high fucking art or something, maybe you shouldn't be looking at japanese giant FUCKING robots for kids. But of course you don't give a shit and you probably are lying through your teeth, because this is just another shitpost and I've just taken the bait.

>Gonna watch dotHack luminality now
yup kiddo, time to fuckoffbackto/a/
>>
>>15667788
>To be fair, you're asking a bit much from what essentially is a toy commercial.

No he fucking isn't. How many /m/ shows that are toy commercials can hold a cohesive narrative. Don't lower the bar for tominos shitty writing.
>>
>Daitarn 3 is ignored as usual
For the love of god go check it out.

>>15668296
Dunbine is one of the worse, the execution is just terrible. The amount of 70's and 80's show you watched doesn't matter.
>>
>>15668176
I agree, and Zeta had a similar thing for a few episodes that I wish they had kept through the show
>Whether in the afterworld or someplace else, the soul that once inhabited this shell... Is probably not at peace.
>>
>>15668437
Daitarn 3 only really has three things going for it: Banjo being an awesome protagonist, the Meganoids having personality, and the SHADING

That stuff aside, it's just an average 70s show. All of the other 70s shows have qualities of their own, like Daltanious having using episodic format effectively or Mazinger having a fair amount of continuity. While Daitarn's own qualities are different than the other average 70s show, they don't put it above anything else
>>
>>15668302

>How many /m/ shows that are toy commercials can hold a cohesive narrative

Dunbine for one.
Did you watch those shitty ADV subs ? That may be your problem.
>>
>>15668296
>I imagine you haven't seen many shows from the 70s and 80s
Stop insulting 70s and 80s shows. There are far better stuff than Dunbine out there.

>If you're looking for some high fucking art or something
Not him, but when I watched Dunbine, I expected something fun, and it was mediocre for the most part.

Tomino did very little world building and character development with this show. For the most part, it was fighting non stop. I thought the show would improve once they got back to earth, but it shat the bed even more. What was up with Todd Guiness for example? There were character development for him that ended nowhere.

The show was wasted potential, and it wasn't any better than L-Gaim unfortunately. Xabungle still remains Tomino's best 80s show in my opinion.
>>
>>15672189

>Tomino did very little world building

I disagree, we got tons of different areas of Byston Well fleshed out to some degree. Whether it be the Ferrario realm, that weird globe that held a dimension that the princess was held in, that forest made of crystal, them emphasizing the specific religious customs of Keen's people, etc. Worldbuilding was one thing Dunbine did pretty well. It is true that the show was 75%+ combat though. The combat scenes were great ( Tomino really shines as an action director), so I was fine with it.

I think you are right about the character development, this was'nt one of Tomino's great character dramas like Zeta, Brain Powerd, or Turn A.
>>
>>15672189
>Xabungle
Manchild detected.
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>15672240
>Manchild detected.
Which sums up the entirety of Tomino's stuff
>>
>>15672203
>this was'nt one of Tomino's great character dramas like Zeta, Brain Powerd, or Turn A.
None of these shows had good character drama.
>>
>>15672203
Dunbine had a couple of neat locations, a couple of fun races, a couple of intresting wild species, etc.
But it's lost in a 50 episodes show, there's just not enough to keep you excited.
Most of the time you get the generic castle surrounded by a forest too.
>>
fuck you stupid ass niggers, Brain Powerd is a masterpiece.
>>
File: LoGH - Fucking gays.jpg (926KB, 960x4320px) Image search: [Google]
LoGH - Fucking gays.jpg
926KB, 960x4320px
>>15667859
>>15667867
>>
>>15672415
>But it's lost in a 50 episodes show, there's just not enough to keep you excited.

There was for me.
>>
I haven't watched most of Tomino's work outside of Gundam yet, but I feel he's a bit like Lynch (minus most of the composition talent) in the sense that he REALLY cares about characters. Not necessarily cohesive, easy to understand characters, but quaint, quirky characters that may or may not have some depth hid beneath it all.
>>
>>15667788
Keep in mind Brain Powered was Tomino's response to Evangelion. So he was commenting on an insane piece of shit with something just as insane.

He's criticized Attack on Titan as well, and I'm waiting for his anime response for that as well. Should be pretty amusing.
>>
>>15674361
>Keep in mind Brain Powered was Tomino's response to Evangelion.
Meme.
Brain Power's is the typical Tomino show. I don't understand why people act as if it is some special kind of incomprehensible. Is it the shoestring budget? Not enough flashy explosion to distract you?
>>
>>15672519
>he's a bit like Lynch
my man
>>
>Hey you know, Tomino is a writer/director
>NO HE ISN'T WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Ever time.
>>
>>15674361
Tomino started making insane nonsense before Eva when he made Garzey's Wing. After Garzey's Wing, he never really stopped making incomprehensible bullshit except for the brief moment he decided to direct King Gainer
>>
>>15668143
>only memeing shitposters like Tomino
This explains everything.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.