[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Atom The Beginning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 14

>no one talks about it
>subs are delayed practically every week
>even went on hiatus for one week for no apparent reason
I hate people who say this normally, but am I really the only person who likes this show
>>
I've been enjoying it. I'm a few episodes behind though
>>
There was a lot of big stuff airing this season like the second seasons of Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia as well as stuff like LWA going on, so smaller shows like Atom end up pushed to the sidelines and forgotten outside of a very niche group of people.

I've been enjoying it, personally, but it hasn't been blowing me away. Up until this tournament arc started, it's had a very relaxed pace and tone that might have put a lot of people off who were expecting A106 to be playing superhero constantly.
>>
>>15662640
>attack on titan
>my hero academia
We're on /m/ buddy, I fail to see how those shows would stop us discussing an /m/ show here
And Six played superhero in practically every episode until the robo wrestling started
>>
>>15662645
>>15662640
What you have to understand about /m/ is that we're the opposite of /a/. We clear our backlogs and watch a bunch of old shit first before we hop on to airing shows unless said airing shows are about a big franchise that everyone's familiar with (Macross, Gundam, Fafner, unfortunately Symphogear, etc.). Now while everyone knows about Atom, most people here aren't really familiar with it. In fact, I've never really seen a discussion of it outside of the context of this show. Of the whole franchise, only the original show is unsubbed, so I'm not sure why that is, but that's the point we're at.
>>
>>15662844
>We clear our backlogs and watch a bunch of old shit first

You actually believe in the /m/yth that we're somehow not cut from the same cloth as the average /a/utist?

I don't even think people even know what a backlog is these days.
>>
>>15662917
If we were the same as /a/, we wouldn't have people trying to shitpost 35+ year old shows
>>
>>15662599
I read the manga, which is not bad, I like the author mechanical designs and the characters are amusing, but overall is also kinda uninteresting and boring, at least to me. So I ended only checking the first episode and decided that I have other stuff which I would prefer to spent my time. Maybe when the anime ends, I will take a look on it.
>>
>>15662599
>Amazon fucked up episode 11 stream and still haven't fixed it
>>
I was interested in this show for four episodes until I found out it was an Astro Boy prequel after googling it.

I have no idea why. I don't even mind Astro Boy.
>>
File: 152739.jpg (99KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
152739.jpg
99KB, 400x500px
Mars is supposed to be a reference to Jetter Mars, right?
>>
>>15662599
It's mediocre. Nothing more.
>>
>>15662599
>subs are delayed practically every week
The power of Amazon™

And you people complained about CR
>>
>>15662599
I think people dont talk about it because the start was "slow"/not much in the way of discussion, and because it's nearly always delayed with an inconsistent schedule
>>
I hope his kid dies in a car accident
>>
>>15662599
I like the animation, but it's too much a regular weekly show without a truly strong plot.
It's also not Tezuka enough.
>>
>>15667659
>It's also not Tezuka enough.
True, the show is lacking in incest and furries.
>>
>>15667663
And racism!
>>
>>15662599
I'm a few episodes behind, but so far it hasn't captivated me in any way. The SOL episodes are just okay and not enough to keep you watching on the long run.

That said, it finally gave me a reason to get into Astro Boy. I'm watching the 2003 version and to be frank, that show is so much better than Atom The Beginning.

Even the filler episodes are much more endearing.

Honestly, if you haven't watched 2003 Astro, do yourself a favour and watch it. The production values are pretty good too.
>>
>>15667673
It would be nice if there was a proper sub release for it though. Dub's alright, but it rearranges the episode order, among other things.
>>
Episode 11 is up now. Pretty good end to the tournament arc.
>>
>>15667998
>Robots are defying their creator
>Developing consciousness
Horrifying
>>
>>15667998
>Six throws one punch
>Mars just says 'fuck it' and turns itself off

Yeah, very exciting fight.
>>
>>15662599
I'm reading the manga and don't feel like watching the anime at the same time.
Maybe in a few years.

The manga is SO similar to the patlabor manga in some aspects. I know it's the same author but still.
Mars is Griffon down to the way it gather data and its military use.
>>
>>15667791
you can just watch it in the right order, it works fine
thats what i did
>>
>>15667998
Best episode so far.
What's the significance of Mars' VA being the same as the wheelchair guy's?

>>15668018
I absolutely love that this is all you got from it. You must be a very fun guy.
>>
Really enjoyed this episode, but yea as a whole the show isn't particularly strong.

Besides some touching moments of A106 being a hero/human, its largely forgetable.
>>
How should I get I to this franchise as a whole? I want to experience the original /m/ work.

I'm probably going to read the original manga, which of the TV series are worth watching?
I kinda want to watch the black and white one but
>almost 200 episodes
I'll probably just watch the first few to see what it's like.
How much do the TV series repeat manga stories or stories from previous shows?
Apparently Pluto is a mystery story, will reading/watching the other stuff spoil it much?

Also on the topic of early /m/ works how should I start Tetsujin-28 and Mazinger?
>>
>>15669045
For the most part, you're shit out of luck unless you can understand moon or like to watch atrocious and incomplete dubs. Original Atom has no subs. 2003 Atom only has good subs for the first half after which you get Hong Kong shit. 1980 Atom and Jetter Mars appear to have proper subs, but good luck finding the latter. The 2004 Tetsujin series is the only one with subs (albeit it's a fucking masterpiece).

Mazinger is somewhat different, it at least has a bunch of series subbed. You can more or less start anywhere and there's not anything I'd necessarily recommend against. However, we're still waiting on Great Toeizinger and Govarian to be finished (both are stalled), the Great Mazinger manga has only been finished by xpearse, who uses his "translations" to shitpost, the Shin Mazinger ZERO manga is stalled at volume 5 and no one has even started God Mazinger or Z Mazinger as far as I'm aware. Gosaku Ota's Mazinger Z and the Mazinkaiser SKL manga are only in French. As for Grendizer, I hear the quality of the subs are fairly outdated, and the Grendizer Giga manga remains untranslated.

So all in all, it's a fucking shitshow
>>
>>15669217
In regards to Grendizer, it is getting translations of the (allegedly more faithful) French subs, but that happens at a slug's pace.

As for Doraemon, that poor series is trapped in a minefield of incomplete subs and crabsticks, but at least a group is scanlating the manga.

>>15668583
Seems fair then.
>>
>>15669217
I usually prefer dubs when they're decently translated and don't have distractingly bad acting, I tend to zone out and struggle to pay attention watching longer anime subbed.

I found dubs for Astro Boy 1980 and 2003, along with dubs for Tetsijin-28 1980 and 2004, also the old "gigantor" dub.

How bad are they?

Probably gonna read the manga for all three series I asked about before trying the anime.
>>
>>15662599
I don't blame people for not caring because of Young Black Jack being shit.
>>
>>15667791
The dub replaces all of the music and crops the image. That's a bigger deal breaker than episode order.
>>
>>15669217
>Jetter Mars appear to have proper subs, but good luck finding the latter
It looks like the torrent on Nyaa still has seeds

>>However, we're still waiting on Great Toeizinger
I have a Great set from the guy who did Grendizer that I've been sitting on for awhile. If it looks like Sasword takes another 6 year vacation I think I'd like to release them.

>As for Grendizer, I hear the quality of the subs are fairly outdated
Grendizers current subs are dubtitles based on the Italian dub. >>15669539 mentioned it but someone else is doing French dubtitles.

>>15669556
The dubbed release of Astro Boy '80 censors scenes from the first two episodes. You can find them subbed on Youtube to watch in full before switching over:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHiWneCpe9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv7a-zmI6wM
>>
The last episode is really creepy.

It was also a quite good episode on its own, perhaps the best in the series, but unfortunately not really an ending or a conclusion to anything whatsoever. Guess they just wanted to promote the manga. Seems like they've only adapted the first volume and a bit of the second, which, stretched to 12 episodes, really did feel a bit empty.
>>
>>15662599
I read the manga, no need to bother with the cartoon.
>>
The manga feels really different, the show added a lot of slice of life comfy episodes (almost half of the episodes were anime original) while the manga is mostly about battles and quickly moves into the great catastrophe plotline.
>>
>>15669890
>Young Black Jack being shit.
It was pretty enjoyable, especially the Vietnam stuff
>>
>>15662599
I love it.
>>
>>15671743
The only torrent I see thats complete has no subs
>>
>>15675279
STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVU
>>
I love this girl

why can't real girls look like her?
>>
So are they going to explain what happens to A106 by the time of Astro Boy or are they going to make another remake of astro boy?
>>
File: 175.jpg (287KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
175.jpg
287KB, 1920x1080px
Why are loli /m/echanics always the best?
>>
File: 0037.jpg (659KB, 1344x2000px) Image search: [Google]
0037.jpg
659KB, 1344x2000px
>>15676521
Probably not, it's too distant of a prequel. I don't think the manga will time-skip enough, although I'm yet to read volumes 3-6.
>>
>>15676128
https://nyaa.si/view/584428
>>
File: 0029.jpg (685KB, 1344x2000px) Image search: [Google]
0029.jpg
685KB, 1344x2000px
Certainly does foreshadow things, though, with Six seeing dreams of the future.
>>
What's that song in the 60's and 80's version of Astro Boy that plays whenever he saves people?
>>
>>15675043
I didn't mind the padding myself. Quite enjoyed it actually. The SoL bits really helped make the last two episodes as heavy as they were.
>>
>>15676715
Honestly, I liked the padding more than most of the adapted stories, besides the last episode that was just too good (especially, like you said, after all the SoL ones). It's just a bit odd how the anime really switched the tone of the manga. Arguably for the best, as the manga really doesn't give a shit about anything besides the plot, and characterization and robot-building stuff kinda suffers as a result.
>>
File: sn_00000074.jpg (83KB, 400x568px) Image search: [Google]
sn_00000074.jpg
83KB, 400x568px
>>15662599
My favorite of the season and now I'm sad that it's over.

Read what's scanlated of the manga and so far I only found raws up to volume 4 so I went ahead and bought 5-6 because I love the artwork.
>>
File: 0000_1.jpg (708KB, 1477x2000px) Image search: [Google]
0000_1.jpg
708KB, 1477x2000px
>>15676992
...I actually found all 6 volumes at manga-zip dot net/archives/172340.html but thanks for supporting the authors, this manga is pretty decent and I hope they keep doing it. Reading vol.4 now and that Russian military robot Ivan had my sides on the moon.
>>
>>15677098
Bless you anon, my copies still haven't come in yet so this will be a real treat. I too hope the manga will continue as I'd love to buy the rest, I never thought I'd enjoy it as much as I am. Ideally would love to buy the BDs since they include original drama CDs but alas...

As for the Russian robot, I felt bad for the big guy once Six was through with him. He really let him have it.
>>
File: 0062.jpg (864KB, 1344x2000px) Image search: [Google]
0062.jpg
864KB, 1344x2000px
>>15677242
Forgot to include a pic but I loved how Six looked beforehand.
>>
>>15677242
Even more unsettling when you realize that his "heart" might really have awakened, after all. During the news report later.

And wow, Six is getting really angry at times now.
>>
>>15675043

The implication that it was probably months before they even started repairs on Six and Ochanomizu was on board for just moving on until Ran started working on him really paints things in a much darker light.
>>
>>15675043
Yeah, the whole time he was there just watching them and dreaming I kept thinking of that
>I have no mouth but I must scream
thing.
>>
>>15668664
>What's the significance of Mars' VA being the same as the wheelchair guy's?
It's definitely significant but that's all I'll say.
>>
>>15677927
I was getting pretty pissed at Ochanomizu for that. It seemed he was giving up on what really mattered to him and becoming completely submissive to Tenma.
>>
Its alright, I mean its no 2K3 Astroboy but its watchable.
>>
File: 1499641156937.jpg (289KB, 844x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1499641156937.jpg
289KB, 844x1200px
>>15668664
Got this from /a/
>>
>>15678281
Well that explains why lolo sounded like a fucking guy
>>
>>15676672
Okay, thats my bad, does si hide the number of seeders? Cause it said 0 and it looks like a bunch now that I'm downloading it
>>
>>15671743
>If it looks like Sasword takes another 6 year vacation I think I'd like to release them
Please just do it. He's only released 2 episodes in the last year.
>>
This last episode is exactly what I wanted from this show. I don't think it would have been earned without all the meandering SoL parts, but we could have certainly cut at least a couple of episodes here and there to make room for more significant stuff.

It's truly amazing to see such a slow paced development of a "character" from a set of pre-determined routines to a whole with a sense of self.
He's certainly a stepping stone in development, but he's far enough along the road that it just feels truly cruel when he's being treated like a thing still. Even the 'positive man of science' Ochanomizu was being nice to Six as a thing and not an equal being.
It's because of those themes that I feel this is doing a good job as a Tezuka follow-up.
I just wish they hadn't teased Dr. Saruta and have that heading nowhere.

I also don't quite like this read of Tenma, as someone who's already arrogant and slightly cruel from the get go. I prefer thinking that it was the death of his son that twisted him up, since that makes him even more of a tragic figure.
>>
>>15682046
At least it portrayed him as the type of guy who would make his replacement robot son be armed to the teeth and have super strength for no sensible reason.
>>
>>15678281
What a twist
>>
Caught up with the manga, and oh boy. A107 is... brutal.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.