[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ordinary shit disscussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: TF-Titans-Return-Blitzwing.jpg (816KB, 2580x1696px) Image search: [Google]
TF-Titans-Return-Blitzwing.jpg
816KB, 2580x1696px
Let's say we have the technology to mass produce a fully functional tank that can transform into a also fully functional fighter jet. (Like this pic)

Would it be practical in any way or plain stupid?
>>
Are you the president of the USA? I dunno if transformers are practical for protecting your borders but it will surely generate a lot of hype.
>>
>>15661447
You'd have a tank with functionally no armor, or a plane too heavy to fly right.
Or split the difference and get both.

So no, not really practical.
>>
>>15661447
I hate the fact what could be a decent figute is ruined by poor qc and stickers
>>
>>15661447
A more interesting thought experiment is a utility/transport vehicle that's also an artillery system.

I think some variant of the AC130 sorta fits this concept, or at least incorporates a utility component rather than devoting everything to being airborne artillery, but consider a weapon like the Hind, if it could set down and unfold into an artillery piece in some mountain range that would've demanded a cargo chopper to put it in place.

That said the issue of making a weapon that's both air worthy and capable of supporting a gun either tank grade or greater is iffy. And you'd probably be better off with some kind of utility helicopter with detachable artillery module combined vehicle approach instead.

Really in these matters, the question to ask is if it solves a particular combat operations problem. Air-capable self propelled artillery could address the blind spot between self propelled artillery (can't scale mountainous terrain) and fixed artillery (relies on something to tow or airlift it), if you can find an elegant way to marry the flying component to the gun part, preferably at a cost less than the fixed gun with airlift support (good luck with that though).
>>
>>15662128
Blimps may be big and slow, but they can also carry a lot of weight and are absurdly resistant to damage.
>>
>>15662470

>Kirov reporting

That phrase still causes my sphincter to clench.
>>
>>15661447
Giants robots are cool, not practical.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.