[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why should I watch Macross 7 ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

File: wont shut up.jpg (191KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
wont shut up.jpg
191KB, 1024x768px
So i've decided to watch all of Macross in a chronological order. Currently i'm up to Macross 7 and I'm 9 Episodes in. Why should I watch series? Im not enjoying it like the other series. I'm hoping it gets better.

And this fucker never seems to shut up too. Like every sinIgle episode, he just breaks into song. It's starting to get annoying.

TLDR: Why should I watch Macross 7 ?
>>
>>15653584
If you don't already get it, you never will. Move along.
>>
>>15653595
I've enjoyed all the other series including Frontier and Delta.This is literally the last Macross series I've got to watch.
>>
>>15653584
Accept the BBC (big Basara chords)
>>
>>15653584
>Like every sinIgle episode, he just breaks into song.
That's what the show is about, duh. 15 episodes in he starts singing different songs from time to time and some people say it gets better because of this so you can try to hang on to see if it gets more passable but in my personal opinion if you don't already like it you never will so don't expect to be blown away.

tl;dr Listen to his song.
>>
>>15653602
No one's forcing you to watch everything in the franchise. I watched all the other shows but dropped Delta. Hell, I'm watching Kiddy Grade right now and even though I probably will finish it, I doubt I'll ever watch Kiddy Girl. I'm not gonna waste my time on a sequel of something I'm bored by.
>>
>>15653665
But its the same song, all the time. All the time.

I feel like i'm only watching it for Max and Milla
>>
The show does not nudge a single bit until they lose the colony at around the 20 episodes mark and that's when the anime actually starts.

Whether or not you have the willpower to suffer through it is up to you.
It's just 30 good episodes, plus backstory on the setting, plus a lot of references that flew by you in Frontier, plus 2 OVAs.
Oh, and understanding that gif of Basara eating a leaf, or the ancient meme about moving mountains.
>>
>>15653780
>understanding that gif of Basara eating a leaf
>understanding
I think it's a well agreed upon fact that this is one of those cases where it makes even less sense in context.
>>
>>15653695
>I feel like i'm only watching it for Max and Milla

That was the only reason I stuck with it.
>>
>>15653695
That is the beauty of repetition.

Also I think at that point he's going between Planet Dance and Totsugeki Love Heart pretty regularly.
>>
File: planet dance.png (427KB, 639x478px) Image search: [Google]
planet dance.png
427KB, 639x478px
>>15653695
>>
You have to be literally autistic to enjoy Macross 7
>>
>>15653584
They defeat the protodevlin with music and nobody wins Mylene
There, now you don't have to watch it
>>
>>15653584
All of the characters recognize their place as Basara's bottom bitches.

And so should you anon.
>>
>>15653789
Sure, but at least some context strips it of its omnious nature.
He is a hippie freak who's into merging with the local fauna/flora and just landed on what is an unexplored and colonizable world after years of travel.
>>
>>15653812
Please no more.
>>
>>15653584
If you haven't started listening to his song by then, it just isn't for a brainlet like you.
>>
Btw is Macross 2 cannon? I thought it was retconed.
>>
Also, Macross 7 actually has one of my favourite openings.
>>
>>15654175
There's not enough continuity in Macross for it to matter either way. Zero is still completely irrelevant as far as I'm concerned
>>
File: non-canon Macross Cannon.jpg (267KB, 1128x738px) Image search: [Google]
non-canon Macross Cannon.jpg
267KB, 1128x738px
>>15654175
>>
>>15654201
Zero makes no real difference in terms of plot, but it does help establish the Protoculture's interest in biotech, which ties in well with Frontier and Delta.
>>
>>15654201
I mean sure the entire population of Earth got wiped out but I still think its canon. I would say is actually say its one of the best. Bar the siniging
>>
>>15653602
>I've enjoyed all the other series
Good, don't bother with 7 then. It's the worst part of the franchise by a vast margin.

If you are absolutely adamant about watching it. Watch episode 1 then skip to somewhere in the middle, like episode 25. There's nothing in between except stock footage.
Every episode is a rinse and repeat cycle of:
>firebomber holds a concert
>vampires are attacking
>basara sings and wins
There is no hyperbole involved when I say it's literally the same exact stock footage used for all those episodes.

It's like watching Endless Eight but 3 times as long and much worse quality.
>>
>>15654219
But then you miss the nice SoL adventures of Fire Bomber and their rise to popularity and all the bits that establish the characters and the concepts to be used in the actual plot later on. The stock footage would bother me more if these were actual dramatic moments and not just Basara failing at getting people to listen to him. Also, it's not even a fight scene, he just goes out there to sing. I can't imagine there's too many ways to portray that
>>
>>15654219
There is a lot of stock footage in those episodes, but that's only about half of them (though it is about half of every single episode). There's a lot of character stuff in the other half. Hell, if you skipped to 25 you wouldn't have any idea who Gamlin is, or see Milia's VF-1.
>>
Got to about Episode 17, its gotten better, there's some of the Macross charm i've been waiting for.
>>
>>15654175
At this point the only way for Macross II to become cannon is for a massive war to break out sometime between 206X and 209X.
Something that basically wipes the slate clean enough for their tech to be scaled back to MII's levels.
>>
Does anyone have the picture for the lost / win of love intrests?
>>
File: Leaf Muncher.webm (405KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Leaf Muncher.webm
405KB, 640x480px
I must be in the minority who had an absolute blast with 7 the whole way through. The only downtime for me, that I can remember, was when Basara leaves in search of Sivil, that was kinda dull.
>>
File: Macross-7-Flower-girl-Extra-Ep.jpg (65KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
Macross-7-Flower-girl-Extra-Ep.jpg
65KB, 848x480px
Also what is with this girl?
>>
File: Mechanic Sheet 08 M7D-003.jpg (2MB, 6188x4271px) Image search: [Google]
Mechanic Sheet 08 M7D-003.jpg
2MB, 6188x4271px
>>15654387
Well I had the best time with 7 as well.
Unironically one of my favorite Macross series.
>>
>>15654387
I loved every episode of 7, man. I could've kept watching it forever. Would've been great to see some post-script episodes where Fire Bomber goes on an intergalactic concert tour of all the other colony ships and has various misadventures with them
>>
>>15654312
That would piss me off so much if that happened. I also thought i was offically retconed.
>>
>>15653584
> Why should I watch Macross 7 ?

Tehre's not a whole lot going for it. It's pretty skippable actually. It's like the ZZ of Macross because of its similar tone and irrelevance to the greater continuity.

The only thing it has going for it compared to other entries in the franchise is that it's got the best music compilation. However because you hear the same song played in 30 second snippets four times per episode in for 10 episodes, it wears really fast. The story does tap into a little bit of lore about the Protoculture, but again, it's all irrelevant to the future shows.
>>
File: 1394167452263.jpg (181KB, 958x714px) Image search: [Google]
1394167452263.jpg
181KB, 958x714px
anima spiritia bro lmao
>>
>>15654527
Outside of SDF and Plus at a stretch, none of the Macross series have much relevance to each other.
>>
>>15654527
There's really no greater Macross continuity. I don't understand why you're so concerned with it. There's a different villain in every single series (and how music works in each series seems to be different as well), so the only real persistent elements of the series seem to be the existence of UN Spacy and the proliferation of its technology.
>>
>>15654542
Yet they're better connected than Starwars.
>>
>>15653584
you should watch it for gamlin
>>
>>15654398
She likes Fire Bomber a lot.
>>
>>15654556
The part where she gets out of the taxi and Firebomber gets in then throws her the flowers saying

"You forgot these"

That killed me
>>
>>15654548
That's entirely false.
Star Wars main trilogy are all extremely interconnected, considering they're literally direct sequels starring the same characters.
Macross's idea of continuity is showing some of the same mechs, the basic background history of a war that nearly kills the human race, songs having great power, and a few throwaway references to past characters.
>>
File: First I was.png (501KB, 639x1226px) Image search: [Google]
First I was.png
501KB, 639x1226px
>>
>>15654622
>Star Wars main trilogy are all extremely interconnected

That's just the main trilogy. SW universe is far more expansive than the movies. Even the cartoon shows have little to do with them. Even from the PT to the OT the only characters that are relevant are Anakin and Kenobi with a mild reference to Yoda and Palpatine.
>>
If you do not watch it, how can you listen to his song?
>>
>>15653584
>Why should I watch Macross 7 ?
Best music out of all /m/ shows.
>>
LISTEN TO HIS FUCKING SONG
>>
>>15654622
>>15654712

Outside of the main trilogy its just a cluster fuck of stuff. I don't feel connected at all. I atleast feel that Macross is an interconnected unniverse.
>>
>>15654542
>>15654547
>Besides the thing that proves the point, there is no proof.
This is why the rest of the Macross community looks down on you M7fags.
>>
>>15654740
You can watch Frontier and Delta and Macross 7 and Plus, all out of order and not need to watch any other Macross show first.
>>
>>15654740
It doesn't prove the point at all. Similar technology being used in each of the series has nothing to do with continuity between the actual stories of the various shows, of which there is almost none. Ironically, though, 7 probably has the strongest continuity connections of any Macross show just because it has Max, Millia and Excedore and has a main mecha directly based off of the main mecha from Plus

Also
>not liking M7
>forgetting 16
>>
>>15654753
>Similar technology being used in each of the series has nothing to do with continuity between the actual stories

Wrong. Through each entry of the franchise we see a progressive understanding of the Protoculture and the technology they left behind and how it relates to singing.
>>
>>15654791
Again, that's not continuity. That's merely exploration of a background element that only relates to the series that it's in anyway since, again, singing works differently in pretty much every Macross show. It'd be continuity if, say for example, Hayate picked up a guitar one episode and drove off the Windie bastards Basara style. But nothing like that has ever happened
>>
>>15654838
That's not really continuity either.
It would be continuity if Hayate met up with Basara, who would teach him the ways of UTA WO KIKE, before Hayate makes the windies sit the fuck down, and then Walkure and FireBomber have an ending concert.
That's continuity, a direct continuation of plot threads and characters from previous series.
>>
Is 7, dare I say, Macross' ZZ?
>>
>>15654523
I don't think MII has been retconned.
Its just been conveniently unmentioned for the last few decades.

iirc it was made into an anime in the universe of Macross.
>>
Why should a series or franchise have an interconnected universe?
It really just lessens the potential scale and grandure of a story imo.

It's like how Bandai forces Zeon to become the antagonist of almost every UC work.
It's cool for fanservice for a short while, but then it becomes really contrived because you have to force reasons to reuse the same story elements.
Its also why the world of the early UC feels much smaller than that of say the cosmic era.
>inb4 implying seed is good.
One thing the cosmic era got right was that its side stories didn't only extend the ZAFT and EA conflict, but it added in tons of other factions and characters unrelated to the events of the main story.
It makes the world of the CE seem larger than the UC's imo.
G-reco even put this kind of concept into animation with its use of 4+ major factions throughout the story.

Marcoss has been excelling at so far in this regard.
The individual characters of each story are always totally new and rarely have connections to past characters.
And although the NUNS are the main human faction they're not homogeneous like the federation.
Within them we've seen tons of political, geographic and planetary diversity.

On another note the coolest thing about Macross imo is that the Mecha are pretty much the one concrete piece of worldbuilding that connect everything.
There's a very clear design and development lineage portrayed in the series that can be traced from entry to entry.
Even MII's VF-2SS is able to be traced to its Valkyire roots.
Details like that make Macross' world feel alive and connected without having to use some cliché like a certain character or group of characters being connected to all the important events in the world.
>>
I like how the Jamming Birds are just proto Walkure
>>
So i got around to finishing Macross 7, it is truly the most autistic of all Macross.

The realm of reason and suspension of disbelief flew out of the window.

I know that all Macross is kinda like that but 7 is something else entirely.
>>
>>15653602
But you just said your watching in chronological order.
>>
>>15655349
Err, what? It was established as an alternate universe years ago.
>>
>>15656035
I am, but i've watched all the others apart from 7 and the OVAs. So i'll end up re-watching Frontier and Delta. And I ended up rewatching Zero.
>>
>>15654838
>>15654791
>>15654847

Macross just seems more like an interconnected universe with the shared tech, culture and races. I think the interconnectivity has added a lot to the series. It feels like a living breathing universe.
>>
>>15653584
It's time to stop. You were warned, I'm sure. First Macross and its movie adaptation are the only ones worth watching. There's a couple of decent OVA's, and you being a chronological nutjob you would have watched those before 7, so there's nothing left to watch but the terminally flawed 7 and the utter shit TV sequels that follow.
>>
>>15654175
Different continuity. Macross II Continuity starts at DYRL and Flashback 2012 after that, as a start while the PCE games Macross 2036 and Macross Eternal Love Song at the middle. Supplementary info and novelization info say Space War 2 happened in 2054 having most of their Zentradi hulls lost thus modernization of warships and VF after stealing a second Factory Satellite.

Key differences between the two timelines. Main Macross Timeline managed to avoid Main Fleets probably because of the policy of killing any Zentradi recon fleet encountered, Macross II Timeline had to deal with two Zentradi Main Fleets and one Meltradi Main Fleet thanks to Quamzin who has a perchance for survival and bringing them to Earth's door step. There is also as said Space War II. Main Timeline UN Spacy stole more than 20 Factory Satellite and had rapid weapons development of smaller warships and VF. Macross II continuity is slow in weapons development comparably particular with VF and warship doctrine kept with large warships complementing the remaining Zentradi sized ships.

>>http://superspacefortress.blogspot.com/2011/11/prior-to-introduction-of-macross-plus.html
>>
>>15654387
7 was great. Personally, I felt that the showed peaked in the comatose Sivil arc, but everything before and after that was fun as hell too.

And of course the OVAs and such are all amazing.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.