[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did you think of the lack of shading in Victory Gundam?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10

What did you think of the lack of shading in Victory Gundam? Was it a good artistic choice in the context of the show?
>>
It looked bad.
>>
>>15634278
It makes people think the show looks cheap at first glance, but as a result the show has next to zero stock footage and dynamic and inventive fights.I'll take less detail in exchange for more motion any day.

My only problem is that all of the character and mecha designs looked like they were designed with shading in mind and then stripped it away. It's a problem I don't think I've really had with other flat-shaded shows in the 80s and 90s. As a result all of the mecha really aren't done justice the way they're presented in the show, and look dramatically better every once in a blue moon when they get shaded.
>>
>>15634278
ANN whined over it so it must be good. When will Lauren Orsini be replaced with someone tat knows what they are talking about?
>>
>>15634282
And motion counts for a lot when Wing was a stock footage extravaganza and G Gundam was a bunch of stills sliding around most of the time.
>>
>>15634278
Honestly I wouldn't have even noticed if not for people constantly using it to somehow "prove" the show is bad. It's a non-issue.
>>
>>15634282
The best thing about Victory Gundam is that while everything you said is true, detail still existed in the form of beautiful backgrounds.
>>
>>15634286
Most of the people who shitpost about it wouldn't have noticed it if other shitposters hadn't told them that they should be upset about it.
>>
>>15634278
iirc this was a budgeting issue
>>
>>15634278
Honestly, I think it ads to the show's kinda childish tone.
Not to say that there isn't some HEAVY shit going down, but hey.
>>
>>15634278
better than anything felcher gundam offered
>>
>>15634278
I kind of like the way it looks.
>>
File: Crazy_Shading.webm (3MB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
Crazy_Shading.webm
3MB, 704x480px
The real question is why is all the shading used on Fuala and her mechs, especially after she gone kookoo.
>>
File: 54534265.jpg (415KB, 1273x1437px) Image search: [Google]
54534265.jpg
415KB, 1273x1437px
TONS of fucking TV series from that time have no shading.
Stop treating it like it's some kind of oddity already.
>>
Look at this shot. The guy in the background is blandly colored while they somehow manage to scrounge up some 2-tone shading for Fuala.
>>
Now she's sad. And shaded.
>>
Maybe what Tomino's trying to say is that SHADING IS EVIL.
>>
>>15634410
I fucking love her.
>>
>>15634410
and crazy
>>
>>15634410
Now she's sad and unshaded.
>>
>>15634373
>>15634401
That's because it was the mid-90s and every anime was made on a shoestring budget.
>>
>>15634278
It almost completely killed my enjoyment of on otherwise decent show.

>>15634282
This guy sums up how I feel about it. There are shows that made flat shading work, but Victory looks like it should have shading. Watching the show without it felt like I was looking at unfinished animation.
>>
>>15634401
>>15634511
Early 90s, actually. Besides being the start of the economic downturn, they were just getting out of the 80s.

That said, the middle row feels more like a side-grade than upgrade.
>>
>>15634282
I mean I'm glad it wasn't stock footage, but the fights in V still looked like clumsy low-budget pieces of shit. Like great he drops the Gundam's legs sometimes cuz he's SUCH A TACTICIAN; it doesn't actually make the scene flow well or look good
>>
>>15634404
it's because they couldn't ignore her literally hugging a lightsource
>>
>>15634278
Looked bad for the first few episodes but then I stopped caring due to getting into the plot.
>>
I don't know what shading is. All I know is that coming off of ZZ, I felt Victorys art and animation looked way better.
>>
>>15634282
Honestly the art's fairly consistent enough that it'd look great if they went back and shaded it.
>>
>>15634278
The only bad looking thing in Victory was that full screen explosion picture they used a bunch of times. Looks like it was drawn with crayons
>>
File: 1459154248282.webm (3MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1459154248282.webm
3MB, 1440x1080px
>>15634278
Tomino's anime tend to be very, very efficiently made. Aside from what >>15634282 said, the shading really gets brought out when it counts, using lighting to really emphasize the tone of the scene. Compare it to G-Reco in which every shot a ridiculous attention to detail went into the light sources and how they hit everything in a scene.

In Victory, Tomino was practically trying to kill Gundam out of spite towards toy companies, so maybe he wanted to look like shit, though. At the same time, it's often been remarked that everything is crucial in G-Reco, as the non-stop flow of information simulates reality in ways art never does. Maybe the shading in G-Reco was done in such a way for the same reason.
>>
>>15638456
Probably just more like the fact that he got Studio 1 to animate G-Reco, and they brought their A-game.
>>
>>15638474
>G-Reco's animation would have been even better if it hadn't share run with Build Fighters.
>>
>>15638697
Try was animated by Studio 3. Their production schedules don't interfere with each other.
>>
>>15638754
Doesn't Sunrise have something like 10 fucking studios?
>>
>>15638697
Well, Try looked like shit, so I don't think it would've improved G-Reco much even if they weren't already different studios.
>>
>>15634278
It looked really weird when I started it.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.