[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into Tokusatsu/Kamen Rider/Super Sentai/etc?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Rider40th.jpg (278KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Rider40th.jpg
278KB, 1600x900px
Always seemed like a interesting genre to me, but I don't know where to start.

What are the best series of Kamen Rider/Super Sentai?
What are some good non-Kamen Rider/Super Sentai series?
>>
File: 61bINjWK62L.jpg (71KB, 338x500px) Image search: [Google]
61bINjWK62L.jpg
71KB, 338x500px
Avengers is a nice entry point.
>>
Sentai is probably the place where you want to start because all the series are self contained very similar in formula, so you can start from literally anywhere (except Gokaiger, don't watch this as your first). Zyuranger, Dairanger, Kakuranger, Megaranger, Dekaranger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger, all good places to start. If you want something of old, Sun Vulcan, Bioman, Maskman or Liveman are good entrances.

Kamen Rider is a bit tougher, though. Unlike Sentai, Rider can vary on the style and formula and also has a much larger quality gap (the worst of Sentai aren't nearly as bad as the worst of Rider). You should check series according to their "era" and, in my opinion, these are the ones you should watch for each:
Showa Era: Amazon or Black
1 phase Heisei: Kuuga or Kabuto
2 phase Heisei: Double or Drive

Non Kamen Rider or Sentai series would be:
-Metal Heroes: the forgotten sibling of the former, where you can start by Gavan, Juspion or Winspector.
-Garo: a dark and violent adult toku, this one you have to watch chronologically.
-Ultraman: the granddaddy of long running TV tokusatsu. There's heavy continuity on Ultraman, so you'll have to check that (I don't watch Ultraman, so I can't help you there).
-Tomica Heroes: a short lived toku with Sentai inspiration and rescue theme. There are only two series

There are shit loads more, I can't name them all. That's all the basics, I think.
>>
>>15626829

Kamen Rider ZO is a self-contained movie and follows a very standard KR formula, and executes it well, with good effects. Start there.

Most people will say Shinkenger and Kamen Rider W are good shows to watch first. All of W's movies are good as well, damn near required.
>>
>>15626829

First of all, what are you interested in? There's a lot of variety within toku, and series have different gimmicks, themes and tones that you may or may not enjoy.
>>
>>15626847
>There's heavy continuity on Ultraman, so you'll have to check that (I don't watch Ultraman, so I can't help you there)

A lot of Ultraman series stand on their own just fine, but familiarity with the setting's continuity helps certainly.

The two most recent Ultraman series, X and Orb are pretty good, fairly short, and hosted on Crunchyroll for legal streaming. Crunchy also has Max, Nexus and Mebius which are FANTASTIC series and good starter points. Personally, I highly recommend watching Ultraseven, it's the series that really got me interested in the franchise as a whole.
>>
>>15626829
I just start Tokusatsu yesterday I am watching kuuga and W at the same time
also at the Tokusatsu community subs seem to be important you need to know which subs are good since some of them can ruin you r experience
here is a good site that helped me
https://kamenriderguide.weebly.com
>>
>>15626884
>Kamen Rider ZO is a self-contained movie and follows a very standard KR formula, and executes it well, with good effects. Start there.
This. It's not THE BEST in any particular direction but it's a very solid entry that gets in and out in under an hour.
For Ultraman there's a very entry-friendly movie Ultraman Gaia: The Battle in Hyperspace. Other than "Ultraman is a TV superhero show" there's not much you need to know.
>>
>>15627121

ZO had some of the best practical effects of any toku, I would say. That main monster was good enough to be a really ambitious B movie monster. And they even tried some Jason and the Argonauts shit. I was highly impressed.
>>
>>15626884
This. The practical effects in ZO are pretty amazing.
>>
In fact, here's the whole movie right here:

https://youtu.be/DxRYZ9wQ6uA

There are better subs out there but sometimes you gotta go with convenience.
>>
File: 1457021464989.gif (2MB, 415x222px) Image search: [Google]
1457021464989.gif
2MB, 415x222px
>>15627174

better subs and better quality video*
>>
>>15627121
>For Ultraman there's a very entry-friendly movie Ultraman Gaia:

The Superior 8 Ultra Brothers movie (I think that's the title, it's something long like that) is a really good stand-alone as well.
>>
>>15626829
>best series

Subject to a lot of debate, people have different favorites across all these franchises.

Here's some of mine though:

>Kamen Rider
Typically focuses on two or three Riders (some like Gaim and Ryuki have more), tends to get a bit darker than Sentai as it's aimed a little older audience, but the tone and gimmicks vary wildly between series.

If you have a fondness for seventies cheese, rubber-suited monsters and lovingly hand-drawn effects, then check out the older Showa-era series like Stronger, Amazon and Black.

If you want something that's more modern but still has a more grounded, minimalist tone, then watch stuff from the early 2000's, like Kuuga or Agito.

If you want bright aesthetics, more of a cartoony style, but still darker moments and higher stakes, then you want post-Decade (2010-onwards) series like W, OOO, Drive or Gaim. The current series, Ex-Aid is a trip and a half too.

As others have said, the stand-alone movies for ZO and J are well worth watching if you want a quick introduction to the style and major themes of Rider.
>>
>>15627681
cont.

>Sentai

Aimed at a younger audience, it tends to be a lot lighter in tone and more monster-of-the-week focused. Admittedly I don't have as much experience with Sentai as I do with Kamen Rider, but some of my favorite series so far are:

>Zyuranger
The Sentai that the original MMPR is based off of. The original series manages to be even crazier in places.

>Abaranger
If you're a PR fan, you'll recognize the suits and mecha from Dino Thunger. Ping pongs between incredibly goofy and manically hilarious scenes, and shockingly dark events and plots from some of the villains. It's got a lot of great characters to boot. One of my favorites.

>ToQger
Never adapted to Power Rangers, but that's fine because it's just fantastic on its own. Starts slow, but gets REALLY GOOD about a dozen episodes in when the characters and their connections to the plot start becoming more developed. One of the most interesting and best-developed villain factions as well. Hope you like trains and IMAGINATION
>>
>>15627686

>Ultraman

Imagine Superman if he were an 80-foot tall silver alien made of light, and also teams up with the Thunderbirds, and you're halfway there to what a typical Ultraman series is like.

Really, I have yet to watch a BAD Ultraman series, but again, I haven't seen everything in the franchise yet. It has a really strongly interconnected lore as compared to Sentai and Kamen Rider, but don't let that put you off, most series are perfectly enjoyable if you've never seen an Ultra show before. Here are some good ones to start with:

>Ultraman X
Has quite a bit of crossover with some other Ultraman series, but the characters are strong enough, and the individual episode plots are well-written enough, that you'll probably have a blast even if you don't recognize all the context. It's pretty short too (22 episodes) so it makes for a good quick introduction.

>Ultraman Nexus
One of the darker Ultraman series, but this one is very self-contained, so it makes for a good introduction regardless. CGI hasn't aged well, but it's rarely used so it's all good.

>Ultraseven
A golden oldie, has really surprisingly strong effects and prop work for a show from the 60's, and has some AMAZING stand-alone single episodes. Not everything in the series hits to that same level, but there's a lot to love about it. Cool miniature sets, unique effects, strong cinematography and a really likeable set of characters with the TDF.
>>
>>15626829
For Sentai, you can really start anywhere. Sentai's quality is largely consistent across years with only a few clunkers. Shinkenger is a very popular entry that's relatively recent, being from 2008, and has a full series batch on Over-Time.

Rider has three distinct eras to it: Showa, Heisei up through Kamen Rider Decade (sometimes called Heisei phase 1), and Heisei post-Decade (sometimes called Heisei phase 2). In general I think Heisei phase 1 is the worst of the three for overall quality, with some exceptions.

Kamen Rider Black is the fan-favorite of Showa, but you could also just start at the very beginning if you wanted. Who subbed it depends on what you want to watch.
Kabuto is an example of an average Heisei phase 1 show in that it's good sometimes, but when it's bad it's terrible. If you want one that's actually good, go back to Kuuga. Most of this period of Rider is made even worse by the fact that most of it is only subbed by TV-Nihon, which is a pretty bad but very prolific subgroup. Kuuga can be gotten from Midnight Crew Subs, but Kabuto can't be gotten elsewhere that I know of.
For Heisei phase 2, start with W and make your way forward to today, or start with the current show Ex-Aid. Most of these shows are subbed by Over-Time, but for Ex-Aid you'll need to go to Excite Subs. Gaim was also not subbed by Over-Time and instead by Aesir Subs, but that group is dead and the torrents vanished in the Nyaa collapse. You'll need to ask someone else who knows where to get them now, either from Aesir or another group.

I'm not an expert on non-Toei toku, so I'll leave that to others.
>>
>>15627705

>Garo

Unlike the other franchises I've mentioned, it's primarily aimed at an adult audience, and thus deals with a lot of mature material, whether it's sex, abuse, death, etc. and also uncensored boobs.

Don't let that fool you though, the franchise never gets overly gritty or depressing, and focuses a lot on idealistic, hopeful themes. I mean, the main characters are LITERAL knights in shining armor.

This one you want to watch in order, as several of the series follow continuous development focused on one main character.

>Must watch
Garo > Beast of the Midnight Sun (movie) > Red Requiem (movie) > Makai Senki > Lament of the Dark Dragon (movie)

This focuses on Kouga Saejima, and makes up the best material of the franchise. Makai no Hana (Flower of the Makai) focuses on his son, Raiga, and is also pretty good.

The first anime series is also worth watching from what I've heard, but I haven't seen it myself.
>>
>>15627709
>You'll need to ask someone else who knows where to get them now, either from Aesir or another group.

OZC just finished putting up subs for the Blu-Ray encodes of Gaim, so you're in luck.
>>
If youre an anime fan, Fourze or Kabuto are the closest stylistically to an animated show.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.