[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Gurren Lagann get away with blatantly copying this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

How did Gurren Lagann get away with blatantly copying this?
>>
>>15623899
Because drills are too old for copyright, they aren't even patented.
>>
>>15623899
What makes you think they copied Getter 2 in particular? If anything, it ripped off Combattler V's Choudenji Spin
>>
File: image.jpg (161KB, 617x514px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161KB, 617x514px
>>15623899
>Getter Robo invented giant drill machines
Fucking Getterfags
>>
>>15623977
Getter didn't invent crossing your arms either but that's still where the Gainax pose is from.
Giant drill mecha are in the same boat, I assume.
>>
>>15623899
GL's writer is the chief editor of the company that publishes Getter Robo, that's how.
>>
>another pretending homages are the same as ripping-off thread
oh boy
>>
File: 1393798181717.png (66KB, 152x366px) Image search: [Google]
1393798181717.png
66KB, 152x366px
>>
>>15623977
Is that from the book of Gotengo?
>>
>>15625373
A homage is just a ripoff that you like
>>
>>15625383
Let's face it, everything gets recycled in media eventually, whether it's intended or not.
>>
>>15625406
And sometimes it's the weirdest shit too
I was watching Gatchaman the other day and there was an episode where they revealed that the team had a secret base built underwater off the shore of a crescent shaped island. This immediately made me think of how the same thing happened in FFV and got me wondering whether that was a reference or a complete coincidence. I honestly can't tell
>>
>>15623977
>image.jpg
>too retarded to recognize shitpost OPs
Not surprising.

>>15625406
Doesn't make it any less of a ripoff.
>>
>>15623899
Because every translated interview with them from the time had them name-dropping Getter Robo, Daitarn, & Zambot??
A Homage isn't a rip off just because you don't like it
>>
>>15625378
It looks like an illustration from some Jules Verne story
>>
>>15625416
How many anime have had "big guy with inpenetrable skin gets killed in one strike after some drama" trope?
Anime = recycling
>>
Guren Lagan is one of the worst "mech" anime i've ever seen
>>
>>15626277
They're one in the same whether you like it or not.

>>15626288
>any fictional story = recycling
ftfy
>>
>>15626947
>They're one in the same whether you like it or not
The difference comes in execution
>>
>>15626288
Changing his skin to the weakest form of carbon remains the best way to do it.
>>
>>15623977
It's called a joke, Pablo.
>>
>>15626990
No it doesn't.
>>
>>15627359
Yes it can. If it's not copious, if it's will handled, if it's subtle but also very clearly referencing an inspiration, putting a personal spin on it, these are qualities that make an homage. Gun X Sword's the best example of an homage to so many different mecha shows but not being a straight ripoff.

If you look at something and think "that's clearly inspired by _________" it's an homage. If you look at it and think "that's literally just __________" it's a ripoff.
>>
>>15625477
Doesn't matter. When no one can tell the difference between homage and rip-off, the best thing to do is to be subtle about the thing you're cribbing/liking enough to use.
>>
>>15627379
The problem is not finding the difference between homag and rip-off. It's that most of Gainax shows are "homages" and they always get away with it as a "deconstruction", I mean it's good to be original once in a while.
>>
>>15627374

Two people can look at the same thing and come to different conclusions on whether it's literally just X, or simply inspired by it bringing the same inconclusive resolution.

>>15627471

They my do, or at least did. Though if you're the kind of person who takes umbrage with Gurren Lagann for clear Getter references you'll probably find reason to decry Wings of Honnemaise, Nadal, Abenoboshi etc.
>>
>>15627374
>>15627379
There is no difference and you have to be stupid and delusional to think otherwise.

>>15627481
Why wouldn't you decry garbage?
>>
>>15627516
Okay, so how would you go about creating something without retreading any elements, have a show be about nothing but a mech staring at its shadow on a wall?
>>
>>15627619

Wow, people are advocating for IBO ripoffs already?
>>
>>15623899
Just read through this funnily enough. A fun read up until now i guess
>>
>>15627619
You don't. It will be garbage no matter what.
>>
>>15627789
>A fun read up until now i guess
What?
>>
File: 3e9.jpg (20KB, 300x562px) Image search: [Google]
3e9.jpg
20KB, 300x562px
>>15627869
Then I won't bother continuing this argument.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.