[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are /m/ thoughts on Transformers Animated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

File: Transformers_animated.jpg (358KB, 1280x727px) Image search: [Google]
Transformers_animated.jpg
358KB, 1280x727px
What are /m/ thoughts on Transformers Animated?
>>
>>15612105

generally kind of shitty that people only pretend to like for little girl
>>
>>15612105
Best Transformers show bar none
>>
>>15612105
It was alright. Had a more light-hearted take on the franchise than was typical, which sometimes worked against it and sometimes worked for it. All in all I'd say I enjoyed it, but definitely got exasperated with it a bunch.
>>
>>15612105
I really liked some of the designs and characterizations. The thought of Prime being a rank rather than a political office or messiah-station was interesting.

It gave us Townsend Coleman as Sentinel Prime and a pretty impressive Ultra Magnus
>>
Decent show. I still have the Soundwave toy.
>>
>>15612248
>The thought of Prime being a rank rather than a political office or messiah-station was interesting.

I preferred that take on it as well.
>>
Easily the best Transformers cartoon and probably my favorite TF universe
>>
>>15612105

Surprisingly good series. Still a bit pissed that the west didn't get the opening with Obari and Jam Project.
>>
Too much slapstick humor often substituting for fights, too many ideas without really thinking them through.

Bulkhead almost ruins the show on his own by just how many traits the writers shoved on to him: He's destructive, doesn't mean to be, he's artistic and makes space bridges but he's bar none the most ruthlessly manipulative shit on the team who poisoned his own friends and give them brain damage

The show's more of a mess than people give it credit for and I think it would've gone really far up its own ass had it continued a season or two.

It's still third best tv transformers I guess, but I regret defending it from people who would take one look at the art style and start screaming and crying "MY CHILDHOOD HAS BEEN RAPED", at the time I just thought we'd never get a better series if it ended and then came TF: Prime.
>>
good story, awful art direction, decent toys
>>
First season was bad. Second was good. Third was great.
>>
Weird Al was Wreck Gar in Animated, so it got the thumbs up from me.
>>
File: SUV.jpg (35KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
SUV.jpg
35KB, 640x478px
I really liked the idea of the Autobots fighting against human villains so that the Decepticons seem like an actual threat. And I liked most of the human villains themselves; in fact I would love it to see them serioused up and featured as the antagonists in a movie one day.
>>
>>15612925
Only the superspeed guy wasn't obnoxious.
>>
>>15612275
Same, shows with underdog leaders like BW, Animated and RID15 are more interesting.
>>
>>15612105
boring as fuck when decepticons are not the enemies, dropped it after Sari got an injury that revealed she was a cyborg
>>
File: tumblr_ohve2hMAWT1s5mjlwo1_1280.jpg (153KB, 1280x786px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohve2hMAWT1s5mjlwo1_1280.jpg
153KB, 1280x786px
>>15612394
>TF: Status Quo
>better than Animated
>>
>>15612105
The Japanese opening was top notch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ODtsNMNJXk
>>
>>15612105
It took it's time to find it's self but when it did it got really really good.
Sucks it was cancelled in it's prime.
>>
>>15612105
hands down one of the best transformers shows
loved it as a child, and love it even more as an adult
>>
>>15612394
>Bulkhead almost ruins the show on his own by just how many traits the writers shoved on to him: He's destructive, doesn't mean to be, he's artistic and makes space bridges but he's bar none the most ruthlessly manipulative shit on the team who poisoned his own friends and give them brain damage

That's why he's such a good character. you see him at first and you think "Oh, he's just the muscle", then he turns out to be much more nuanced than you'd think. He's very much the show's Rhinox, where he's very multifaceted beyond his cookie cutter appearance which makes him interesting.

>at the time I just thought we'd never get a better series if it ended and then came TF: Prime.

Its funny to me that you'd call TF Prime a better show, when one of the most criminal things it did was take Bulkhead, who became a fan favorite after being created for Animated, and makes him an absolutely boring muscle character. Even the most interesting thing that happened to him, nearly getting permanently injured, was quietly dropped and never addressed after a while.
>>
File: TFA The Cool.jpg (299KB, 480x672px) Image search: [Google]
TFA The Cool.jpg
299KB, 480x672px
>>
>>15616325
>that optimus
>>
I love how it had the Autobots doing some fucking shady shit.
>>
Probably my personal favorite Transformers series. It stays fun yet the Decepticons still feel like a threat. The animation isn't great, but they do what they can with it. I like how distinct the designs are. It has flaws, but the flaws overall are fairly small in comparison to what makes it enjoyable to me. I would have been very interested in seeing where they would have taken it had it not been canceled.
>>15612394
I found Prime worse than Animated. Prime certainly has nice designs and all, but it was full of a lot of set up that felt wasted to me. Characters like Dreadwing and Breakdown were wasted, MECH as a threat was massively wasted, etc.
>>
>>15618162
I loved that too. The whole thing with Omega Supreme was fascinating and sad all at once.
>>
Anyone got downloads?
>>
>>15618212
>I AM PROGRAMMED TO PROTECT AND SACRIFICE IF NECESSARY

>You taught me to protect like an Autobot, but all I did was destroy like a Decepticon.
>>
File: Blurr.png (143KB, 864x482px) Image search: [Google]
Blurr.png
143KB, 864x482px
This was dark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb95gglf7bw
>>
While the art could be weird at times, it was the last series that wasn't hyper-influenced by the Bay movies
>>
I loved the idea of there being similar models and their names actually reference some sort of abilities they were built with.
>>
>>15618888
He actually survived, according to the side material. Which either makes it better or worse depending on how you look at it.
>>
>>15612105
My Ex worked on that show.
>>
>>15612105
I liked that it had Autobots and Decepticons be categorically different in abilities, bringing back the old the whole "one was for labor and fights with tools, the other is war machines and has guns" thing.
>>
>>15617358
PRIME-CHIN no baka
>>
>>15619712
But who made them so different?
>>
>>15620739
If it's like G1 then the Quintessons.
>>
>>15612387
That would have required time travel, the Japanese airing happened after the show already got canceled over here
>>
>>15612394
>>15613649
>>15614708
>>15618209
I liked Animated AND I liked Prime.

Animated followed the atrocious Unicron Trilogy, which was mediocre at best. The art style in Animated was heretical but forgivable the instant you heard the narration in the pilot. In that 1 moment, there was an unspoken promise that Animated would be genuinely good, and it was. Sari and Bumblebee were annoying as hell, especially in the first season, but Sari got better and because nobody had any expectations for it, Animated got to evolve at its own pace and became surprisingly dark and epic toward the end.

Prime's good while going the exact opposite direction of Animated. Prime's biggest flaws are that it followed Animated, which was a great series and it has a fanbase with ADD; who resent it for not adhering to their fanfics.

At the end of the day, they're both great entries into the franchise. I'd say they're both about on par with each other although as a matter of preference, I prefer Prime just a little bit more.
>>
>>15622261
>Prime's biggest flaws are that it followed Animated, which was a great series and it has a fanbase with ADD; who resent it for not adhering to their fanfics.

I pretty strongly disagree with that. I had no problems with Primes pacing or darker tone or so called "non-adherence to fanfics". It was it's own universe, so I watched it for what it was.

The problems with Prime were just so much more glaring in the long run to me than they were with Animated. In season one, it wasn't as bad, but by season two, bumping off characters with potential, or squandering good set ups like MECH became the norm. It became a series of massive wasted potential. I didn't hate Prime by the end of it's run. But I hated seeing the potential it had squandered.

Animated has it's own flaws. Yes, some characters could get annoying sometimes, yes it could be a bit uneven, but it seemed to maintain it's stakes better and deliver on it's set ups more.
>>
>>15622274
All these American productions (including Beast Wars) suffer from the same issue of not knowing if they'll be renewed or dropped for another season. You can tell they've learned their lesson by RID15 because each season is far more self-contained than its predecessors.
>>
>>15622261
Prime's biggest flaw: there isn't sense of progress. There aren't stakes.
>>
>>15622274
>>15622705
I'll agree that it never developed a sense of progress. But that didn't bother me. I would say that in some ways, looking back at it, that's one of the things I actually liked about it.

It didn't build up to a crescendo. Instead, it reacted to circumstances as they came up, while still dealing with ever rising stakes. I liked that because it felt organic. There's no manufactured railroading.

Bear in mine that I've been following Transformers for awhile by the time Prime came along. I've watched through Energon and Galaxy Force, which tried to do the long arcs and build ups of Beast Wars and failing terribly.

Animated was refreshing because as a light hearted series, they weren't pressured to do some big grand plotline. Although they eventually did develop that and it was glorious.

I don't really see where Prime squandered potential set ups. Well, maybe the whole "Orion Pax" thing could have lasted longer, I'll grant you that. The Star Saber was also kind of just... there. Besides that, I don't see it.

Let's see... MECH? Well, I actually wasn't into MECH because I've never been a fan of humans outpacing Cybertronian tech, ala the Bay movies. So not only did I not mind how their subplot was resolved, I got a real kick out of it because, spoilers, humans DIED.

Dreadwing? I wasn't expecting him to go all Dinobot, especially since we were nearing the end by then. So no, I don't see him as squandered. No more than Blitzwing or Blurr or the twins or Slipstream or Bumblebee or any number of characters from Animated. Because I don't expect EVERY character to be significant.
>>
>>15624489
Now, a lot of this is due to my own preferences. And I accept that other people have different preferences. All my RL friends loved Prime. Hell, they love Optimus too, though I found him generally eh.

I mean, if you genuinely dislike a show or like a show but rate its flaws bigger or smaller compared to me... that's totally fine. I'm just annoyed by the loud minority whose main complaint is basically because the show didn't go the way they expected it to go.

I think WTF@TFW used to review the show and one of the podcasters bitched endlessly because the show didn't follow his ideas.

He would nitpick over every little thing and bitched when the show left something hanging to be addressed later. Then when the show finally gets around to addressing it, he gave no credit to it.

So, to summarize... I enjoyed the show. I'm forgiving of its flaws but I can accept that others might not be as forgiving. And that's alright. I respect your opinion. You're free to love or hate the show. Just don't be a self-entitled bitch with ADD is all I'm sayin'.
>>
>The new Bayformer movie has the "Earth is Unicron" plot
I hate Prime now
>>
It's probably my fav show since beast wars.
It kinda feels like an american braves show with how it's structure and it's art.
>>
>>15625086
Technically the the whole "Unicrons life force is stored in earth" first showed up in the anime Beast Wars sequels.
>>
>>15624489
>I actually wasn't into MECH because I've never been a fan of humans outpacing Cybertronian tech
MECH was never able to fight autobots/decepticons until they got cybertronian tech.
>>
>>15612105
Loved it when it aired, lots of fun with a nice mix of rehashed and new stuff, it had a passable story and decently developed main cast. First season was pretty slow though, and it's a pity the fourth didn't happen. And while I don't mind the art style, the sloppy animation didn't do it justice, especially since it got worse as the show went (kinda like G1, come to think of it). The art was a major turnoff for people, and they could have won over more viewers with better animation.

Also, while I found a lot of its hardcore fans obnoxious, it's just as much of a shame that the show got so much hate from a lot of oldschool fans. From what I remember, many fansites leaned more towards liking it, but general discussion sites absolutely despised it. Sometimes I feel it's an underrated and unfairly neglected show that got steamrolled over by the Bayverse and Aligned.
>>
>>15612960
>RID15
>interesting
It's like, the opposite of that.
>>
File: ffod4sky_1298801043.jpg (90KB, 744x574px) Image search: [Google]
ffod4sky_1298801043.jpg
90KB, 744x574px
What's everyone's favorite isolated portion of any individual Transformers show?
I really like the wacky space adventures of G1 season 3 (and some of 2).
>>
>>15626307
Are there hardcore fans of Animated?
>>
>>15626319
It's a fun show, old man. They made Bumblebee into Rodimus-done-right.
>>
>>15626454
You'd be disappointed if you believe age is a factor in people finding RID lackluster.
>>
>>15624489
>Let's see... MECH? Well, I actually wasn't into MECH because I've never been a fan of humans outpacing Cybertronian tech, ala the Bay movies. So not only did I not mind how their subplot was resolved, I got a real kick out of it because, spoilers, humans DIED.

Every third episode of the original Transformers was basically:
Humans invent something awesome.

'Cons try to steal it. Autobots stop them
>>
>>15626392
There were at the time. You gotta remember, this is a good show still, though flawed. But at the time it was the first actual good or great show to come out of Transformers since Beast Wars. People were starved for content that was of good quality.
>>
>>15628166
I dunno about the fans, but the people working on later transformers stuff had boners for Animated, there were a lot of throwbacks to it:
>Lugnut and Lockdown received really good toys under the movie line
>WFC game took a few design cues from animated (Big ass axe Optimus, Megatron's cybertronian tank mode, Slipstream)
>Bulkhead and Ratchet in TFP, there was also a toy of TFP Hotshot based on Animated Hotshot based on UT Hotshot.
>Lockdown in IDW comics, Arcee gets her swords.
>>
>>15628531
It's nice I guess that Animated lives on in its legacy at least. Also, don't forget "Decepticons, rise up" and three-faced Blitzwing also got a more G1-based toy at one point.
>>
>>15628531
that's really cool. I'm glad people appreciate Animated. It was such a fun show.
>>
File: 1392107157917.jpg (386KB, 503x585px) Image search: [Google]
1392107157917.jpg
386KB, 503x585px
>>15612105
it was pretty good, fan service show with some cute designs
>>
>>15626343
Patrician taste. I really liked any episodes of G1 that was a break from the ordinary, the space episodes, the New York episodes of season 2, Triple Takeover...

In Masterforce, I really liked Ginrai's debut arc. If I rewatch the show, it's usually those episodes.
>>
>>15626343
Not a unique opinion, but I usually consider BW's second season the best string of episodes, though some I don't particularly care for.

I also have a soft spot for the crude early BW eps, back when the show was just trying to figure itself out.
>>
File: 1342841268751.jpg (70KB, 518x546px) Image search: [Google]
1342841268751.jpg
70KB, 518x546px
>>
>>15619332
>according to the side material
He's fucking dead.
>>
>>15635667
It's not side material he was planned to come back for S4, Sari would find his cube and carry him around or some shit like that. They were also planning to bring in the Headmaster Juniors and Powermaster Optimus Prime
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.