[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the original Gundam too old to be good today?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 13

Is the original Gundam too old to be good today?
>>
No. Next question.
>>
It's a fucking timeless classic, unless you are a troglodyte who can't appreciate such masterpiece then you should be able to thoroughly enjoy it.
>>
Absolutely

It wasn't good enough when it originally aired.
>>
>It's a /krg/ thread
>>
>>15610226
>Is the original Gundam too old to be good today?

The tv show definitely yes,it's too old, and it's animated like shit even comparing with other animes of the late 70s early 80s.
The films are borderline though.
>>
>>15610226
Yes. G-Reco is the show with which you should introduce people to Gundam with, since tis the second best after 0079.
>>
File: 1477462281406.png (1MB, 1432x1060px) Image search: [Google]
1477462281406.png
1MB, 1432x1060px
>>15610251
>it's animated like shit even comparing with other animes of the late 70s early 80s.
>>
read the origin
>>
File: 1445813903614.jpg (26KB, 433x380px) Image search: [Google]
1445813903614.jpg
26KB, 433x380px
>>15610226
Why was the animation so bad at times when shows years before it looked much better?
>>
> it's a grandpa/geezer-shitposter episode again
>>
>>15610242
>>15611022
What's the difference
>>
>>15611020
It suffered production issues.
>>
>>15610226
Yes
Absolutely.

Watch the movies. Then, I dare you to watch the tv series. You will see the movies and think "wow, this is pretty great. The original it took from can't be THAT bad". No. Watch the tv series to see how much you overestimated it.
>>
>>15612374
I had the opposite reaction. The movies felt hacked up, the show was fine outside of some quirks.
>>
>>15610226
If something is good, it's good no matter how old or new it is.
>>
The animation didn't age very well but pretty much this >>15612391
I personally consider it a must watch.
>>
Aged like cheese
>>
File: GM-destroys-RickDom.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
GM-destroys-RickDom.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
The original series has problems with both pacing and too much monster of the week episodes imo.

The film trilogy however is a fucking classic.
>>
The movies cut off a lot of what made the series a classic like taking time to see civilians, giving screen time to the bad guys, showing other hardships that aren't related to some attacking and scifi stuff for the sake of it. If you care about the genre the show is a must watch, but since those things are in a lot of other Gundam series you can just watch those and keep assuming 70's anime was dumb empty toy adds.

I really don't get the point of the movies besides getting money from people who wanted to "catch up" with something they were told they should watch or fans getting to see some stuff again before vhs releases.
>>
File: duhuhu.png (25KB, 669x514px) Image search: [Google]
duhuhu.png
25KB, 669x514px
>>15610226
>too old to be good

I understand having a problem with older animation styles, but any rational human being should be able to move past that with little problem.
>>
>>15613706
It cuts out the Gundam vs. Gyan/Gelgoog fight, one of my favorite sequences in the show.
>>
>>15610226
only if you are capable of looking at it through the proper contextual lens. you basically have to be enamored enough with the UC Gundam setting at large from seeing other parts of it that seeing "what really happened in 0079" is interesting information to you. it's one thing to just see the series cold (lol fucking good luck) and another to see it thinking "this is THE Amuro and Char etc. I've been hearing about."

>>15613741
because of what i mentioned above, only certain kinds of fans are capable of moving past how dated as fuck it looks. and no i'm not implying it's only high IQ fans or some bullshit, i'm just talking about where their interests lie.
>>
>>15613767
>only certain kind of fans are capable of moving past how dates as fuck it looks.
Fans who coincidentally enjoy old anime?
>>
>>15610226
No, it's fine and quite frankly better than a lot of stuff we get today, although you can say the same of when it was produced too.
>>
>>15612425
The animation made it better for me.
>>
File: zogojuash.jpg (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
zogojuash.jpg
93KB, 640x480px
>>15613706
Cuts out too much, wrong-o.
>>
>>15610226
fuck off xpearse
>>
>>15610226
No. There are a few animation errors ( the frequency is highly exaggerated due to confirmation bias and emphasizing the few quality shots and ignoring the majority that are decent to good). Story writing, character writing, world building, art, action choreography, etc has all been on the decline in mecha anime since 90s. MSG was the beginning of a peak in all those things - and it still holds up extremely well to this day.
>>
>>15613936
>There are a few animation errors ( the frequency is highly exaggerated due to confirmation bias and emphasizing the few quality shots and ignoring the majority that are decent to good)

Yeah, 0079 is less consistent than some shows at the time, but its high notes were great for TV shows of that time period. It's not Dougram, which was consistently good, but then Dougram was a year or two later.

Really the only issue I have with the animation is the Beam Javelin's stock drawing/throwing segment is very obviously off model and they never bothered to fix that.
>>
>>15610226
>Is the original Gundam too good for today?
Ftfy
>>
>>15610226
No.
>>
>>15613919
This is what happens when the brass insists everything has legs.
>>
>>15610226
Even Z is too old to be good today
>>
>>15610226
> [thing] is worse now than when it was made because standards have risen
It's exactly the same now as it was some 30+ years ago. Its influenced every other mecha anime that's come out after it, and set the bar for military mecha in it's time. Do you understand how legitimately asinine this is? You're suggesting it's somehow become something different, metaphysically, because another year has passed. It was budgeted as fuck, it has shoddy animation, and it's seems trope-tacular from a modern perspective, but that doesn't stop it from being, very literally, one of the most influential anime productions of all time.
>>
>>15614457
>Do you understand how legitimately asinine this is? You're suggesting it's somehow become something different, metaphysically, because another year has passed.

Welcome to /krg/ thought process. What gets me is that they make these threads for shows they don't even care about.
>>
>>15610226
Felcher Gundam doesn't look much better. These shows are also almost 40 years apart.
>>
>>15610226
I couldn't really get into the show, but I enjoyed the movies recently.
>>
>>15610226
No,I just picked it up.

Pacing is fucking legit, shots arnt super recycled, and the plot is decent. New shows can be so fucking slow trying to set the universe at the start but this just starts going.
>>
>>15610226
When you pretend that the wonky animation is the Gundam shapeshifting 0079 becomes one hell of an experience
>>
>>15610226
No. Animation is dated and inconsistent, but it's rescued by some good art direction and character design. The films also polish it up a little, though as many people will tell you they aren't a total replacement for the series and are best experienced as a complementary watch. They're what I go to for a quick Gundam fix when I feel like having a rewatch, but they cut out a lot of the small things that made the TV show as nuanced and resonant as it is.

MSG is the best Gundam ever got (though I think Zeta is great too; Zeta shitposters need not respond), and an actual classic. If you can't get beyond the weaker parts of the animation it really is your loss.
>>
File: CanIHoldUrGun.png (74KB, 179x179px) Image search: [Google]
CanIHoldUrGun.png
74KB, 179x179px
>>15610278
>why does a slow moving, dialog focused anime look better in a still frame than an action-oriented mecha anime with humanoid robots

huh, I wonder
we may never know
>>
File: docholiday.png (170KB, 476x311px) Image search: [Google]
docholiday.png
170KB, 476x311px
>>15610226
Gundam was never good.
>>
>>15613775
>Fans who coincidentally enjoy old anime?

You can enjoy old anime and still not give a fuck about the Gundam tv show. People here talk as if ALL anime from a specific decade had the same fucking quality.
This is far from the truth and /m/ shouldn't berate someone that likes nice 1970s animation but hates bad 1970s animation.
Gundam tv show is really a badly animated show (the equivalent today would be IBO and see how much criticism this new show gets purely on the technical side). The Gundam film trilogy is a definite improvement on the tv show (while losing some inconsequential things) and I understand why people prefer it to the tv show. There is no shame in this.
>>
>>15615619
>/m/ shouldn't

/m/ shouldn't do a lot of things, most of which can be expressed as "stating opinions as fact". And yet here we are.
>>
>>15615619
>the equivalent today

IBO animation gets a lot of unnecessary criticism over visuals (in my opinion from fans who hated the other aspects and just want the whole thing to burn) but dont compare it to the original Gundam. Those are on two completely different levels. I myself could only watch the trilogy to get past the old anime since some of the bad moments really drag on with still frames and whatnot. However, there are still way worse modern atrocities out there.
>>
File: Yes, they do defend it.gif (829KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Yes, they do defend it.gif
829KB, 400x225px
>>15615129
People actually defend a lot of things and even IBO has great moments no denying that... like the rest of the fight from which you picked the frame. (I went and actually watched the whole thing.)
>>
File: 1446412478037.webm (2MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1446412478037.webm
2MB, 1024x576px
>>15615974
>>15615895

>Its an IBOfag makes a jackass out of himself episode
>>
>>15615989
How? By not insulting others and giving opinion? Cool.
>>
>>15610226
If you cant stand old animation and style then no. Watch an episode or two and youll see if you like it.
>>
When will ANN stop praising Iron Menstruation?
>>
>>15616041
When will you grow up?
>>
>>15615989
says the guy doing the same stuff in reverse
>>
I love how every thread devolves into people either defending IBO or attacking it. And the only people who actually argue for or against it are those who watched it. The rest just throws in swear words, racism and shit just for lolz. The best series is by far Build Fighters just accept it.
>>
>>15616081
>The best series is by far Build Fighters just accept it.

Sure thing mate, Build Fighters is really good but not as good as G-gundam, Gundam Seed and Gundam 00.
>>
>>15614557
(You)
>>
>>15616223
Maybe mate, just maybe.
>>
File: 1496779787752.jpg (51KB, 284x199px) Image search: [Google]
1496779787752.jpg
51KB, 284x199px
>>15616223
>Gundam Seed and Gundam 00.
>>
>>15610226
/m/ could probably make a mecha show with similar QUALITY with 0079
>>
>>15616081
Maybe it's because we have talked about 0079 as much as possible to this point. If you just saw it then sure, it's nice to contrast opinions and maybe you realize stuff you didn't apreciate or forgot about, but for most it's better to talk about the other show you recently watched.
>>
>>15616244
sticking your head out of your containment thread you fucking rat?
>>
>>15616417
I dont have problem with either older or recent MSGs since it usually sparks interest in me to watch them but a lot of these recent threds are quickly filled with people just bashing each other and thats it, no arguments, no relevant info. Sometimes it gets funny though.
>>
>>15615974
How the fuck do they defend that framerate?
>>
>>15611020
budget
>>
>>15614557
You say that like /krg/ doesn't into showa riders
>>
>>15617000
jesus let it die already and go make your own threads you ibo fags
>>
>>15611020
Same reasson it looked much better in some episodes than any other show. They focused effort in certain things. They assumed people would remember the best instead of judging it for a single frame in a filler episode.
Ashita no Joe or Aim for the Ace don't have a single fight or match as detailed and active as some of the later episodes.
>>
>>15617213
Try to tell that to some members of /m. They feed on single frames. XD
>>
>>15617188
You say that like you haven't posted in there a day in your life.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.