[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Gasaraki not more popular?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

Why is Gasaraki not more popular?
>>
>>15609858

Because it's both a slow burn and has an ending that doesn't make any sense
>>
>>15609858
>>
File: Gasaraki_013a.jpg (50KB, 797x606px) Image search: [Google]
Gasaraki_013a.jpg
50KB, 797x606px
>>15609862
>>
File: gasaraki_crunchy.jpg (263KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gasaraki_crunchy.jpg
263KB, 1280x720px
>>15609866
>>
File: tumblr_n32q8pRFdt1ree25uo2_500.jpg (83KB, 299x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n32q8pRFdt1ree25uo2_500.jpg
83KB, 299x640px
>>15609871
>>
>>15609861
>>15609861
I would have guessed it was the Japan strong! undertones?
>>
>>15609861
>Because it's both a slow burn and has an ending that doesn't make any sense

It's a slow burn, but the ending does make sense. There are several storylines that are intertwined, a part of the story is told through flashbacks and "reincarnation" plays a strong part in it. Really the anime is ambitious and it suffers from having only 25 episodes to tell the story. Had it been 40 or 50 episodes it would have felt much more fleshed out.
>>
>Votoms
>Gasaraki
>Dougram
>Layzner
>Flag

Why isn't Takahashi not listed along the greats like Tomino or Miyazaki? I think he's got a pretty interesting style and format of storytelling.
>>
>>15609924
>Why isn't Takahashi not listed along the greats like Tomino or Miyazaki? I think he's got a pretty interesting style and format of storytelling.

The plebs know Tomino only through the Gundam franchise and his limited "kill them all" way of dealing with characters. Plebs don't know or are dismissive of any of Tomino's non Gundam works.
The same problem arises with Takahashi. The plebs only know of Votoms and repeat the same old and stupid mantra "Chirico best character ever" when it's not even supported by the facts. Go outside Votoms and most won't even know the shows Takahashi has work on.
As for Miyazaki, let me be clear not all his works are good. There are a lot of mediocre and even bad films. But most plebs won't have the courage to say otherwise because it's Miyazaki. You know, the god saviour of japanese animation so...
Tell me how this situation is better than the one concerning Tomino and Takahashi ?
In other words, plebs are fucking ignorants that try to reduce a man's life work to one single number or show. And it always fail because you can never get the complexity of the artist.
>>
>>15609936
>hurrp look at the artist

fuck, why? I look at a work in isolation and for it's own merits. authors don't really interest me because for the most part they work under contract and are given lines within which to work by studios.
>>
>>15609936
Plebs don't know of votoms or Takahashi at all.
>>
>>15609858

I think it's the sort of tonal shift that happens early on. The first few episodes make it feel like you're going into some war drama style mecha show with light fantastical elements, and then it pivots pretty hard into those fantastical components and moves away from the war component.

It's the story equivalent of the "What I expected : What I got" meme templates, really.
>>
>>15609858
you're not rubbing your nipples while watching it like Takahashi-san intended
>>
>>15609924
I really enjoy Galient.
>>
Niche esoteric show with really Japanese subject matter doesn't have mainstream appeal, next question?

And that next question better be about rice god dammit.
>>
>>15609858
>>15609924
Because they're shit
>>
>>15609858
It's not appealing to the mainstream viewer. If you really can't see why it won't appeal to the average mecha or anime watcher then you're autistic.

Slow, vague, rather boring shows that don't make much sense or offer any catharsis for the viewer. Sure, you can call yourself a "patrician", but somethings just aren't appealing to normal people without very niche tastes.
>>
>>15610342
so if they ramped up the sound track and had missile spamage fights it would have been more popular?
>>
>>15609858
It's a lot like why Dougram isn't more popular. It's even by Takahashi, too.
>>
>>15610379
Dougram did manage to get 75 episodes, though, which is quite respectable.
>>
>>15610372
No. Dougram had a fight every episode (to its detriment) and it didn't manage to form a bigass franchise either
>>
>>15610372
Soundtrack maybe, but missile spamming, I doubt it.
>>
>>15611025
>>15610372
And what I meant by that is >>15610991

Even if it had a fight every episode there was no emotional release in them.
It's the same reason why Zeta isn't that popular - forced fights with most of them not having a good pay off.
The reason Zeta's ending is lauded though is because you have this big fight between the main characters, especially Kamille drawing on the Newtype ghosts of all those of had fallen throughout the series to power him during his last fight with Scirocco, with the nice soundtrack playing, and the very way he ends up crushing Scirocco. It's the build up and release, and it's done in a very clear manner to the audience.

If you look at popular mecha and non-mecha, they always have the build ups and "EPIC" releases. I'm not saying if a show doesn't have "epic" scenes with a sweeping soundtrack accompanying it that it's not good, it's just that if it's a show with action elements and it lacks that, it's not likely to be popular. Most viewers need a blatant payoff or they'll feel their time is being wasted.
>>
File: Gasaraki_06[1].jpg (87KB, 648x626px) Image search: [Google]
Gasaraki_06[1].jpg
87KB, 648x626px
>>15609858
>gasaraki kits are OOP
what a shame
>>
>>15611116
I'm sure you could still find one if you looked hard enough
>>
>>15611234
Yes, but with quite a pricetag attached.
>>
a few seconds on ebay brings some up at $20~$50
>>
>>15610042
If you can't identify patterns in 30 years of work you might have pretty serious issues.
>>
>>15610342
You're only thinking about the end, most shows are identified for the first few episodes (even when it's wrong, of course) and Gasaraki starts as the dream show for mech autists.
>>
Gasaraki is a prime example of the market abandoning the genre instead of the producers switching to moe crap. If you had the same thing in the 90's, reducing animation to make up for the lack of cg, it would had been much bigger.

It didn't help in my case that the latin american tv release was very poorly subbed with stuff like whole blocks having wrong or none subs.
>>
>>15613892
Gasaraki aired in 1998
>>
>>15613881
But it's 26 episodes long, and what comes after the beginning is important. People will react even worse if the first few episodes were "cool" and the rest boring.
>>
File: 1232141254.jpg (135KB, 750x1090px) Image search: [Google]
1232141254.jpg
135KB, 750x1090px
>>15609861
Be real. The politics and economy stuff is what turns off most autists from getting into Gasaraki since it isn't an ADHD pandering laser light show even with its occasional combat sequences. And on a totally related note, I want a RED EYES anime.
>>
>>15613938
It's really the opposite because it's hard to even tell what the hell is going on in those first few episodes, at least for a first time viewer. The show didn't really start grabbing my attention until Nishida showed up
>>
>>15613938
Votoms' ending is bonkers and most people will bring up the Vietnam part even though it happens in the first half. I wasn't saying it's a good thing, it's just what tends to happen. I can't really buy an explanation for the lack of success that includes going through the good parts and reaching the bad.
>>
>>15613903
Are there succesful mecha shows that came after 1998?
The year was swallowed by CowBe anyway.
>>
>>15613952
Fair point

>>15613954
Votoms had a proper hook though, I felt.
It drew you in and by the time you got the weird stuff on the ship with the red shoulder music, the PTSD, and the ending, you were already more or less invested.
>>
File: 4354236436.jpg (149KB, 1057x750px) Image search: [Google]
4354236436.jpg
149KB, 1057x750px
>>15613951
>>
>>15613960
Code Geass
Gurren Lagann
The Big O (in America)
Every Gundam show
Transformers Unicron trilogy
Full Metal Panic
Eureka Seven
Macross Frontier
If I believe the memes, A/Z, although I personally don't see it
>>
>>15613983
Macross Delta was also one of the best selling shows of last year, despite what /m/ would have you believe
>>
>>15613984
Successful? Yes? Quality wise? Absolute dogshit.

>>15613960
Muv-Luv franchise with TE in 2012 and SM in 2015.
>>
>>15613972
Oh, votoms is a superior show, no doubt about that. I guess that even then it's not a well known thing, Gasaraki never had a chance.
>>
>>15613881
The first episode is literally the Gowas huddling around a computer while Yushiro nearly summons ancient voodoo, about as much as it is about OPERATOR Raidens OPERATING OPERATIONALLY.

That's the hook. Trying to watch for one reason in spite of the other is a recipe for disappointment.

It's a show about Japanese cultural shit.

For what it's worth I've had more difficulty getting into VOTOMs, but for me Gasaraki's contemporary setting was a major hook. So I might just have bizarro world tastes.
>>
>>15614030
I was instantly hook with how the mechs were implemented, I only started loving votoms in the second and third arcs (Vietnam and ptsd ship). I think Gasaraki has a stronger hook but that also repells people who don't love the military aspect.
>>
>>15613984
Delta first episode was 10/10.
A shame that the show was such a boring piece of shit. It only sold because of the tickets. Nobody cares about the anime
>>
>>15613951
>>15613973

>RED EYES

oh fuck, what happened to RED EYES and I want to read the rest of it because they stopped updating two years ago.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.