[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to Mazinger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: Mazinger_Z_(1973).png (174KB, 400x671px) Image search: [Google]
Mazinger_Z_(1973).png
174KB, 400x671px
I was wondering about how to get into the Mazinger franchise. Should I read the manga or watch the anime? I don't really want to sit through 92 episodes of 1970s mecha animation. or would it be fine if I read the manga and watched the remakes.
>>
File: MazingerZDiscotekgetfukt.png (1MB, 864x573px) Image search: [Google]
MazingerZDiscotekgetfukt.png
1MB, 864x573px
>>15609596
If you're a true /m/an, you'll sit through 92 episodes of the 1970's anime.
>>
>>15609596
Read the manga.
Do anything after that.
>>
>>15609596
Read manga, but be aware that it gets kinda shitty after it got moved from shonen jump to tv magazine in the middle, but it does start out great.

Follow it up with the Great Mazinger and Grendizer manga. They're okay, nothing too special.

Then watch Mazinkaiser, Mazinkaiser SKL, Robot Girls Z and plus, and finally Shin Mazinger.
>>
>>15609596
Do whatever the fuck, no continuity in any of this shit except for the Toei TV shows

The TV shows are actually good, nigger, watch them.
>>
>>15609596
The manga sucks. Avoid it.
>>
>>15609724
you suck, avoid yourself
>>
File: fatso.jpg (31KB, 617x475px) Image search: [Google]
fatso.jpg
31KB, 617x475px
>>15609599
a even truer man sits though all 92 episodes of the crabstick dub
>>
>>15609596
mazinger has the aesthetic of a fucking pepper grinder
>>
>>15609804
>crabstick dub
Get on it /m/
>>
Read the gosaku ota manga, it is better than the nagai one.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxZgE4uVCP8&feature=youtu.be&a
>>
>>15609820
Did the Gosaku Ota manga ever got translated?
By who?
>>
>>15610123
Anime-Heart. It's a French group though.
http://forum.anime-heart.fr/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=838

That said, HnG and Happy did cover Grendizer.
>>
>>15609599
Dubs confirm.
I'd read the manga first, it's pretty short as well, but the Toei original is IMO obligatory viewing and fun as hell.
>>
>>15609812
Jesus, kids these days.
>>
File: 1489217180413.jpg (13KB, 284x178px) Image search: [Google]
1489217180413.jpg
13KB, 284x178px
>>15609599
>Sitting through 92 episodes of anything using VLC
>>
>>15609596
Read the manga while also watching the TV show just like a Nippon kid would have when it was new
>>
>>15610916
What software do you suggest?
>>
File: column-mazinger-flight.jpg (10KB, 300x234px) Image search: [Google]
column-mazinger-flight.jpg
10KB, 300x234px
>>15609599
I just finished the first DVD set and am about to start the second. It's stupid, but it's a fun stupid. I'm having a better time than I expected.

I think a lot of it has to do with the kooky villains and the fact that Koji is a grade-A asshat who comes up with some of the most ridiculous plans imaginable. Pic related.
>>
I had a basic knowledge of the franchise through seeing a bunch of writeups and being introduced to the characters. Plenty of anime references it too. Did visit Spain as a kid when it reaired in the 90s, it was everywhere. Mazinkaiser is a fine hopping on point if you at least get the way your typical Mazinger ep works. Baron Ashura is causing havoc with monsters of the week, Mazinger team launch, etc.

Kaiser is more of the same, gets the cool battles, gets the fanservice beach ep, gets the dorky kid and the comedy with the Borot gang, gets all the show's old cliches. It feels nostalgic yet it's self aware of its nostalgia. Looks great too. Only thing is it's meant as an upgrade to the old show so knowledge of it means you probably enjoy its self awareness more.

I should probably see Shin Mazinger sometime, which looks like it keeps Kaiser's style but people bitched it didn't make sense immediately and dropped it. Which seemed hilarious to me.
>>
>>15609596
Just read the manga...even though it sucks.
>>
>>15612079
Shin Mazinger has its ups and downs. It's definitely an Imagawa show for better or worse.

I liked it, but it has its pacing problems. It's best to go into it expecting "Mazinger Z if Imagawa made it" and not a straight modern remake of Mazinger Z like Mazinkaiser kinda-sorta was.
>>
>>15612079
Kaiser and Shin are practically diametric opposites
Fans of one have a tendency to dislike the other because of it. I'm not really any exception to that
>>
>>15612086
Except it doesn't.
>>
>>15612155
It's horrible. It's so predictable and repetitive. The story was rushed. It was just plain bad. I was expecting something better after reading Devil Man but I was just disappointed.
>>
>>15612155
Don't reply to xpearse.
>>
>>15612181
I wouldn't go as far as to say "it sucks" but it is kind of a mess, especially if you're reading it for the first time and don't know about the split between Weekly Shonen Jump and TV Magazine.

There's some entertaining chapters but it's uneven.

I agree with the anon who said Ota's manga was better. It actually does some decent character building and explains some things. Nagai's is still worth reading for context, but it's far from stuff like Devilman.
>>
>>15611770
Try mpv. It has all the same advantages of VLC but it gets shit right.
>>
>>15609804
I was going to say just this
>>
>>15613918
Wait....crabstick DUB?

We must do this.
>>
>>15613251
Terrible if you're technologically retarded though
>>
>>15613251
I'm watching the DVDs on a cheapo Samsung blu-ray player. The upscaling is excellent, apart from some compression artefact making through you'd almost think it was HD.
>>
>>15609596
Watch the original
Watch the reboot
Watch Shin
Fuck the rest.
>>
>>15609596
These threads always make me glad more people are watching the OG Mazinger.
>>
Is there a torrent for the subbed Discotek release?
>>
>>15614494
Yeah, not sure if it's well-seeded in the Nyaa mirrors though.
>>
>>15614510
I'm trying to seed now, hopefully that'll help.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.