[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The first /m/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

Are the fighting-machines from War of the Worlds the first /m/? If not, what is?
>>
>>15593403
Hephaestus built robotic assistants in Greek mythology.
>>
>>15593403
Talos, the bronze man of Greek mythology is the oldest that I know of

Still have yet to read the epic of Gilgamesh, but according to Fateshit, there may be something there as well
>>
>>15593413
Were they piloted though?
>>
>>15593403
Talos is often considered one of the first, dating back to 400 BC.

There's also a Chinese story written somewhere between 400 BC and 400 AD which describes an android.
>>
File: 1453759863279.gif (470KB, 200x200px)
1453759863279.gif
470KB, 200x200px
>>15593403
>WOTW film with Jeff Wayne soundtrack never

hurts
>>
>>15595229
>tfw you will never see Thunder Child done properly to Jeff Wayne
>You will never see the loudest silent drama ever as the parson breaks down with Beth

It's a damn shame.
>>
>>15593416
You asked if it was /m/. Whether it's piloted or not is completely irrelevant unless you're retarded.
>>
>>15595233
fuck it, i'm going to do it

i'm in school for film and shit, i'm gonna make it my goal to make this fucking film

i'm doing it for you, /m/. i'm doing it for everyone. it's gonna happen. and when it does, i'll do it right.
>>
>>15593403
Talos from Greek mythology. I believe the Epic of Gilgamesh and Hindu myth both have giant robots in them too.
>>
>>15595244
Hum, I like drawing stuff but always thought it'd never be a job to try and become an animator to try and animate the crowds of people cheering on the Thunder Child. I wish you luck and need to think.
>>
Golems have existed from the days of early Judaism and while not strictly mechanical in nature we've have far looser shows discussed
>>
>>15595245
How the fuck could those ancient people have thought of robots?
Like did they run on script or have gears?
>>
>>15593403

I just wanna say that even if they technically aren't the "first" Wells' descriptions of the tripods and how they move sounds surprisingly modern. I feel like he intuitively understood the difference between "mecha" and the clunkier robots of the time. Also unlike the mythological sources these were actual machines build by an industrial race.
>>
>>15595312
because it's cool
>>
File: robots are cool.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
robots are cool.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
>>15595312
/m/ is at the very heart of mankind, anon. Where there is a man, one will inevitably find ideas for giant robots.
>>
>>15593415
Nope. There was a clay man, but he was depicted as being wild and from nature directly.

Also pic related
>>
>>15595312

Dude look at some of the shit ancient people built. Ancient societies where A LOT smarter than you're given them credit for
>>
Golems, yo.
>>
>>15595312
Robots are one of the easiest things to think of. "Gosh, doing all this manual labor is hard. If only there were something that could do everything I do, but better, so that I didn't have to. Gosh, my muscles and skin and fleshy bits hurt right now. This hypothetical thing probably wouldn't hurt like I do, or have to take breaks like I do. It would be just like me, but stronger and without all the hurting bits."

It's a bigger jump from "robot" to "giant robot" than it is from "human" to "robot", really. The Greek legends also included Hephaestus's same-sized mechanical men who helped out in his forge, Daedalus' talking and moving statues, and there are Chinese legends of constructed wooden men.
>>
File: 1487196819552.jpg (221KB, 1280x600px)
1487196819552.jpg
221KB, 1280x600px
>>15595229
>>15595233
COME ON THUNDERCHILD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb4BWSUV8mM
>>
>>15595389

Was Enkidu a clay man? I thought he was just a demi-god/human sent by the Gods to be Gilgamesh's equal, be his friend and teach him humility. I don't recall his origins at all though, but I thought he was raised in the wild before meeting Gilgamesh (with a brief stop for a fuck).
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.