[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get newbies into the genre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 25

I've tried everything to get people into the mecha genre but nothing works. Any ideas that have worked out for you guys?
>>
Destroy their favorite show and then make mecha seem like the best genre there is.
>>
Figure out their favorite show and recommend a mech series that's similar to it.
>>
File: 1284779955467.jpg (71KB, 600x439px)
1284779955467.jpg
71KB, 600x439px
>>15590501
It really depends on what each individual likes. To put it bluntly, you need to keep throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

I'll give you a hint - take a peek at the MAL top anime list and see what mecha series rank the highest among normies.
>>
>>15590501
I've had no luck with a close friend of mine. I made the mistake of trying to get him to watch NGE and take it from there. He hated it and stopped watching because of pen pen and shinji. Probably my fault, and he won't even bother with anything animated in general. So I pretty much fucked myself over.
>>
>>15590536
I'm a Shinjifag but I get why someone would hate him, but WHY the freaking penguin?
>>
>>15590534
>I'll give you a hint - take a peek at the MAL top anime list and see what mecha series rank the highest among normies.
Sometimes this backfires though.
They'll be like "well I like CodeGeass/evangelion/Aldnoah.Zero, but I'm not into mecha"
>>
>>15590536
>he won't even bother with anything animated in general
Oh wow. The trauma must have been severe.
>>
>>15590536
>anything animated in general.
should've showed him something like GitS or Bebop.
Those types usually can't watch any thing animated unless it's "mature".
It's such a stupid complex, glad I never had that mindset.
>>
>>15590539
>I'm a Shinjifag but I get why someone would hate him, but WHY the freaking penguin?
He thought it was too "Japanese" like too cheesy. Also he didn't like the biomech nature of the evas.

>>15590543
lol he's never had patience for animated shows or movies for some reason. but he asked me for something I liked and I told him
>>
>>15590540
It's the tactics of slow steps. You need a starting point and most 'serious', 'mature', 'technobabble' shows are just too esoteric.
>>
>>15590553
>Also he didn't like the biomech nature of the evas
Sounds a bit like autistic tendencies.
>>
>>15590557
What's his taste like?
Usually Gits, Macross PLUS or Bebop are perfect for this kind of situation
>>
File: 1425074019545.jpg (24KB, 576x432px)
1425074019545.jpg
24KB, 576x432px
>>15590572
You are replying the wrong person.
>>
>>15590566
I should tell him he has autism. He's just a super picky fucker. If he ever asks again I'll use some of the recs itt
>>
>>15590586
oops
>>15590572
to
>>15590553
>>
File: mecha.jpg (277KB, 796x777px)
mecha.jpg
277KB, 796x777px
>>
>>15590501
You don't. I doesn't work and just makes you an autistic and retarded fuck.
>>
>>15590600
Replace 08th with Wing/IBO
>>
Jeez, these people really are into their robot crap. Like REALLY INTO IT. Must be cursed. Hold on, calling in Mob
>>
We need more mecha fans.
>>
>>15590706
Grow them and water them every day.
>>
>>15590706
The mecha fanbase is fine the way it is. We don't need to evolve into something such as the Pokemon/Naruto/anymainstreamcrap fanbase.
>>
>>15590673
Wing hasn't aged well. And IBO is... well, IBO.
>>
We shall push everyone off the cliff. If there not getting into mecha.
Make Mecha great again!
>>
>>15590733
Why?
>>
>>15590501

I got a bunch of normalfags to play Gundam EXVS. Skip a few years ahead and now they're buying gunpla, preordering Versus and have very questionable tastes in mecha (the majority see IBO as some of the best mecha has to offer).
>>
>>15590734
IBO is IBO but still a shitload of newbies watched it. A little before it aired I saw so many people on different websites asking if they can watch it without prior Gundam experience. While Wing is the only Gundam many have seen because they saw it when they were little because Toonami.
>>
These guys really hate this "IBO" thing. Interesting. Might excorise that instead. I mean it's a win-win deal.
>>
>>15590521
I have a friend who's into Naruto and Transformers, do I show him Tobikage or GaoGaiGar? Alternatively, I could potentially show him IGPX since he might remember it from Toonami.
>>
>>15590501
>wanting more normalfags
You don't, you friend-having normalshite. Nice filename, too.
>>
>>15590856
>excorise
I don't think that's a word
Excoriate perhaps?
>>
>>15590952
Exorcise***
Common misspelling
>>
"Normalfags get off my board! REEEEEE!!!"
>>
Come on now where getting off topic here.
>>
>>15590501
You can't. I tried. I tried to get a bunch of plebes who watch nothing JoJo and HxH into mecha and any suggestions just roll off them like water off a raincoat.
>>
Am I supposed to understand what's going on here?
>>
What's the matter anon? Can't handle a simple question?
>>
What was I doing, again? Ah yes, lift a curse in /m/. Watch this, Dystopia. I'm going to get rid of the ghost of 4chan. SALT SPLASH!!!!
>>
Spy on them in figured it out, what's their like and dislike.
>>
^
>>
File: images (17).jpg (5KB, 225x225px)
images (17).jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>namefagging

Answer is you don't. The thing is its LoGH/code geass faggotry where the watch the show for politics and drama. If they are able to watch any super robot show and votoms, they are ready to embress the genre in its entirity instead of just watching for the sake of it
>>
File: 1468380690.png (294KB, 513x547px)
1468380690.png
294KB, 513x547px
That'll be 5,000, whoever is paying
>>
"Namefagging"
Yeah okay buddy,try and focus alright? I know the autism makes it difficult for you.
>>
Someone better pay up, already!
>>
Back on topic already please
>>
>>15590501
You don't
>>
I don't work for free, if you haven't noticed
>>
File: tumblr_ml79s8dScg1sn7hiuo1_500.gif (258KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ml79s8dScg1sn7hiuo1_500.gif
258KB, 500x362px
>Stand user Anon
> Blue Platigun
I'm guessing nobody has straight answer right now.
>>
File: 1495665595654.jpg (249KB, 640x904px)
1495665595654.jpg
249KB, 640x904px
>>15590501
I got into it by accident by going TTGL -> GitS: SAC -> Gargantia -> /m/-core (UC Gundam, Gunbuster, etc)
Now I'm just a /m/an who's also a Fatefag
>>
I like Zeta.
>>
>>15591195
>Fatefag
DISGUSTING
>>
>>15591204
so can any anon remind me why most people like the fate series again?
>>
>>15591213
Waifubait
>>
>insulting the interests of others
>reeks of insecurity
>mfw
>>
>>15591204
It's a guilty pleasure, I'm sorry I'm a dirty chunni although i actually prefer Tsukihime to Fate

>>15591223
That's mostly FGOfags, though; in /m/ terms they'd be the fans of IBO who refuse to watch any other Gundam series. My favorite Fate girl Taiga wasn't even romanceable in the VN
>>
Fuck watcing mecha, get this dude to play with mecha. Get started with some Armored Core.
>>
>>15591257
how about SRW? It has "watchable" shows.
>>
>>15591257
I can't enjoy that series anymore after ACfag ruined every Metroid thread on /v/ for years
>>
>>15591264
I don't use /v/, what did they do on Metroid threads?
>>
>>15591270
Nonstop bitching about cinematics and cutscenes
>>
>>15590600
but why is FMP there?
>>
I got someone into mecha with Getter Robo Armageddon of all things, but I wasn't really trying it just happened.
>>
>>15591393
>of all things
It's more common than you might think desu
>>
>>15590501
I think the problem /m/en have when trying to get other people into mecha is trying to use the mecha as a selling point. Don't do this. Normal people aren't like us, at least not yet, anyway. They don't understand why robots are cool, they're not in touch with their inner child, they don't get excited at the yelling of an attack name.

So try not to even mention mecha in your conversations about mecha shows. Talk about the shows you suggest in terms of their other merits. And furthermore, don't start off by suggesting extremely well-known series and/or series that require a lot of context to fully appreciate. They may be dismissive out of hand with the former and be lost with the latter.

I think I'd probably start with a show like Iron Leaguer, which is really good at adapting traditional mecha concepts to a very nontraditionally mecha premise and is just a damn good show to boot. I doubt someone could walk away from it without learning the hot blooded passion of a mecha protagonist
>>
>>15592107
I've never had a hard time hyping people up for mecha shows. I usually take something unique from the show and talk about that. After fighting this guy sleeps on the ground immediately. This dude fights while listening to jazz it's pretty awesome. And usually people are like "wow that sounds interesting. I rarely mention mechs unless they've already seen a mecha show.
>>
Don't bother. If they don't want to they don't want. You don't have to like the same anime as your friends do, Im sure you have plenty of overlap elsewhere
>>
I have another idea, OP. Show people a couple of neat AMVs featuring the show you want them to watch.
>>
>>15590501
>I've tried everything to get people into the mecha genre but nothing works.
>Any ideas that have worked out for you guys?

You don't. It is as simple as that. People don't like being coerced into watching something that at the very least doesn't pique their interest. The more you try, the more these people will send you to hell.
Just accept the fact that there are lots of anime fans that don't give a shit about robot shows wether modern or old.
>>
I just wish I knew someone in real life who knew about /m/ things.
The closest thing I've seen is people who saw wing on toonami ages ago, even the two non-working NEETS I know only play fucking league of legends and watch crap like attack on titan.
>>
>>15591384
Because it's a generic anime show that just happens to have mecha in it.
>>
File: img_8594.jpg (66KB, 800x600px)
img_8594.jpg
66KB, 800x600px
Gunpla fag here. Feel almost the same, but not about the animes, but plamos.

I'm the youngest user (27) from a modelers club of my city. Group exists since 1992 and main focus is classic military shit. All users around 45-60, no asian kits available. There's even a gramps, around 80, who won an exhibition here with a super old WW2 airplane.

In essence, people never heard of Gunpla/Gundam and, in general, don't respect it. However, things changed when I show one of my kits (box and both manuals of my Strike PG). All of them got surprised with its quality and shrank their WW2 egos a lot.
>>
>>15591384
The best season of the show doesn't even have robots in it, not counting these things.
>>
File: 1382491784445.gif (2MB, 200x154px) Image search: [Google]
1382491784445.gif
2MB, 200x154px
>>15592827
>>15592842
>>
>>15591257
This.

Start with AC3.
>>
>>15590546
would you trade it for a neurotypical brain and normal relations with other human beings though?
>>
>>15593045
But when we all become autistic, then no one will be.
>>
>>15592842
>The best season of the show doesn't even have robots in it, not counting these things.

I wouldn't call Fumoffu the best one but the fact is that during the first season, the fights themselves are so uninteresting you wish they'd end sooner so you can go back to watching Sasuke' shenanigans most of the time.
If you get to Second Raid, however, that's when things pick up and the show actually catches on with both the comedy and action.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.