[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rayearth thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 21

File: rayearth girls.jpg (97KB, 740x1020px) Image search: [Google]
rayearth girls.jpg
97KB, 740x1020px
Any thoughts on this show, /m/?

Fuu best girl btw
>>
>>15587190
Repeated exposition way too many times
Really shit at writing male characters
The mecha were incredibly underutilized
Took the UNDERSTANDING meme way too far (I know it's a shoujo, but still)

First season was pretty good at least, most of the above problems weren't applicable
>>
Those sword designs are fucking gay.
>>
File: umi 2.png (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
umi 2.png
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>15587190
>Umi best girl btw

fixed that for you
>>
It was ok I guess.
Escaflowne was a better fantasy mecha.
>>
<- /a/ is that way
>>
>>15587310
It has mecha, so it counts.

You must be fun at parties.
>>
>>15587280
My sentiments as well.
>>
>>15587228
They're fine.

>>15587280
It's pretty damned close. Take that as you will.
>>
>>15587367
>They're fine.
They're absolutely horrendous. They are single handedly some of the worst fantasy sword designs I have ever laid eyes on. They represent everything wrong with fantasy swords. Hell, they look closer to baseball bats than swords. The only forgivable one is the rapier-like blade. Absolutely terrible.
>>
>>15587404
>Muh realistic weapon
>>
One of the reasons I browse /m/, I don't really like mecha but I LOVE Rayearth. Especially season 2, but had a bit slow pacing in the beginning. But awesome mood.
>>
>>15587280
Escaflowne was even worse, it didn't even have the dignity to wait a season before diving into the poorly written shoujo relationship crap, not to mention it's incredibly rushed plot. It's only better than Rayearth in animation

The only fantasy mecha I've enjoyed is FSS, and even that is more fantastical in feel and societal structure than it is in setting or aesthetic. It always struck me as weird that a story that spans several planets and that features speeder bikes, androids and lightsabers is considered fantasy just because it has dukes and shit
>>
>>15587412
>>>/a/

here you go
>>
>>15587190
>Fuu best girl btw
That is my only thought on the show
Other than "man I wish there were more magical mecha shows"
>>
>>15587423

Scrapped Princess is kind of cool. Though it being Mecha is kind of a huge spoiler but eh fuck it. I want people to watch this shit.
>>
>>15587404
I'm not sure it matters how you shape your indestructable sword once it's giant robot size.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
82KB, 640x480px
>>15587454
Truth be told, I did forget that the greatest anime of all time also happened to be a fantasy mecha series
>>
File: maze 1485756623495.jpg (2MB, 2154x3031px) Image search: [Google]
maze 1485756623495.jpg
2MB, 2154x3031px
>>15587497
>Movie never
>>
Rayearth is pretty sweet. I'm more partial to the manga than the anime though, but that's largely for nostalgia. Good shit either way, though.

>>15587497
>>15587512
>Dulger figure never
;_;
>>
>>15587410
Point to the word realistic in my post.
>>
>>15587542
>They represent everything wrong with fantasy swords. Hell, they look closer to baseball bats than swords.

> They represent everything wrong with fantasy swords. Hell, they look closer to baseball bats than swords.
>>
>>15587546
>they are bad fantasy swords
>they look more like baseball bats
Still has nothing to do with realism. I'm waiting.
>>
>>15587574

you don't make real world comparisons to fantasy weapons because you don't think they look the right kind of pretend.
>>
>>15587577
>is supposed to be a sword
>is a baseball bat
Has nothing to do with realistic weapon design. I'm still waiting.
>>
>>15587585
>Muh pretend sword doesn't look the right kind of pretend
>>
>>15587594
>hey guise you like my sword
>bro it's a fish
>SHUT UP ABOUT MUH REALISTIC WEAPON DESIGNS
lmao you absolute retard
>>
>>
>>15587190
I tried watching it like a week ago I downloaded the absolutely massive xPearse release and watched the first few episodes before realizing it wasn't for me, but I couldn't shake the feeling Rayearth is the anime everyone who hates anime thinks of when they say they hate anime. The random cuts to a chibi artstyle, the girls fawning over cute boys, the cutesy mascot thing, the artstyle with eyes that take up half their faces or more. It really seemed to have everything people who "hate anime" always seem to think every anime is. This show is an all caps ANIME type anime.
>>
File: 1469027810624.jpg (295KB, 788x900px) Image search: [Google]
1469027810624.jpg
295KB, 788x900px
>>15589197
first episodes are kind of underwhelming
shit gets better by the time they begin to wake the Majins and the finale of the first season is great
>>
>>15587190
Isn't this show about lesbians?
>>
>>15589247
no faggot
>>
>>15587454

Having seen the whole thing, the mecha connection in Scrapped Princess feels--kind of stretching it, at best. More "bio-mechanical demigods" than what we'd usually call mecha.

On the other hand, Mogudan character designs, so yeah.
>>
>>15587190
Isn't that a woman's anime?
You're not some kind of effeminate tosspot are you?
>>
>>15589274
>More "bio-mechanical demigods" than what we'd usually call mecha
Still more mecha than Evas.
>>
>>15589277
I made that joke to my friend about LWA and he blocked me.

Some people are really sensitive about their girl animes.
>>
>>15587190
umi is the best girl and fuu is a filthy slut
>>
File: Autozam_Hikaru.jpg (36KB, 640x464px) Image search: [Google]
Autozam_Hikaru.jpg
36KB, 640x464px
>>15589229
Best Girl, also

Rightful Queen of /m/
>>
umi >>> hikaru >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> shit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fuu
>>
>>15589274
Man, its such a shame that mogudan went full retard with his style, same with Raita and his fixation on skeletons and bananas
>>
>>15589197
CLAMP used to be one of the big players in anime and Manga back in the day, especially right around with the anime/manga boom happened in the US back in the early-to-mid 2000s I'm sure the folks that think of that stuff probably saw some CLAMP stuff.
>>
File: tfw you will never be mokona.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tfw you will never be mokona.webm
2MB, 640x480px
Did anyone even buy that American release?

>>15589197
You're too young to understand.

>>15589629
Ha. You got that right.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rCT_5Z4i8g
>>
>>15587404
>They are single handedly some of the worst fantasy sword designs I have ever laid eyes on. They represent everything wrong with fantasy swords. Hell, they look closer to baseball bats than swords. The only forgivable one is the rapier-like blade. Absolutely terrible.

Have a look at some actual sword and sword-like weapon designs from around the world.

Think the swords carried by Hikaru and Fuu are non-realistic because of the blunt tip? Think again. There have been many types of swords that emphasized on weight to provide powerful slashing cuts, sacrificing the brittle pointed tip in the process to improve its ability to absord the return force of the blows. The weight of those swords made them non-practical for stabbing anyway.
>>
>>15589247
It's not homo if it's selfcest.
>>
>>15589247
I'm pretty sure every female character has a boyfriend. Hikaru has two. It's one of the most straight manga I can think of.
>>
>>15589774
it's good to be the god
>>
>>15589274

I mean you can call them whatever you want at the end of the show they where still fighting Mobile Armors in space
>>
also Senes best girl.
>>
>>15590223
Stop looking at everything through a heteronormative filter, pol.
>>
The Gigants where sweet.

Shame they never released more than like 3 of the novels in English. As far as I know theres no fan translations either
>>
>>15589774
About 13 years ago I found a big clunky box set of the second season at Best Buy. Around 8 years later a different store got a nice sleek box set of the entire series and I let it sit there on the shelf because I didn't want to buy the second season twice. Finally around 3 years ago the set of the first season came in and I picked it up immediately.

The english dub is good imo. The Japanese dub isn't bad but it's very standard quality anime acting, nothing spectacular.
>>
>>15589303

In Eva they climbed into them an acted as pilots at least. But it's been a few years since I watched Scrapped Princess.
>>
>>15590292
I like that they stayed effective through to the end. Lots of series make the main characters the only ones who can do anything substantial in the last stages of the show.
>>
>>15590853

I rewatched it recently and they where actually MORE useful than the Dragoon. They killed two out of the three peacekeepers while Shannon was flying around screaming about Pacifica

it took three to kill one of them but still
>>
>>15591649
I wouldn't say more useful necessarily. Without Zephiris pulling fire they probably wouldn't have had the openings to exploit.
>>
>>15591727

Well, no it was a team effort generally speaking but all the same its nice to see side characters pull their weight. Senes's team where total MVPs
>>
>>15587190
You mean Fuu worst girl, right?
>>
>>15591746
Definitely. I actually liked pretty much all the side characters on the protagonist side, but they were the best.
>>
Wait, what? Scrapped Princess was /m/? I guess I should've gotten aroundto watching it.
>>
>>15591766

I felt like Winnia overstayed her welcome but eh what can you do.

>>15591775

Yep. Does the whole future past thing controlled development thing. Bout half way through the sci fi shit starts showing up there are hints here and there. Like an OP by Jam Project
>>
>>15590223
Hikaru loves everyone the same. She's too pure for romance.
>>
>>15591794
I'm amazed I went all these years without knowing this. Watched the first few episodes way back when it originally aired but never finished it.
>>
>>15591809

Well I said it before the reveal is kind of a huge spoiler. The reveal is actually kind of awesome but at the same time I don't think people are willing to sit through a mostly serviceable if generic fantasy without a hint of pay off.

You can only sit through so much

>The Cassuls go to place meet someone and get betrayed, make a friend with an asshole or both.
>>
>>15589274
If the animation in SP hadn't been so cheap and stilted, it would have been far more enjoyable. I watched it to see Mogudan's designs in motion, and got dead marionettes instead...
>>
>>15591832
I mean, the first real hints are as early as episode 6 when Galil shows up. There's some subtle ones earlier with the bug drones, too.
>>
>>15589274
Double Long-haired Rei
>>
File: 1460255241504.jpg (55KB, 736x537px) Image search: [Google]
1460255241504.jpg
55KB, 736x537px
>>15587404
>>15587367
Here, have better sword designs.
>>
>>15592744
Where can I get the first one?
>>
>>15592761
You need to forge it yourself.
>>
>>15591961
>There's some subtle ones earlier with the bug drones, too.

Possibly as early as the first episode, if I'm recalling correctly, but impossible to pick up on without knowing what's ahead.

Didn't Scrap Princess avoid the typical use of casting circles in favor of sharp 90-degree angled lines filling to a point, evoking current running through the lines of a circuit board?
>>
>>15592387

With giant tits. Though that's just Mogu
>>
>>15593821

there where those circuitry lines all over the place sure but even if you suspected some sci fi I don't think anyone would expected it to go full space battle
>>
File: dune anime.jpg (59KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
dune anime.jpg
59KB, 750x563px
>>15587423
I think FSS is fantasy in the same way something like Dune is. It's science fiction, but it also has the feel and structure of a fantasy story- it's much more explicit in FSS, because of its fairy tale theme. Hell, FSS is probably one of the best examples of science fantasy in manga.

why isn't there a dune anime? dune would make a fucking great anime.
>>
>>15587190
The SNES RPG was ok.
>>
>>15595385

Saturn one was fun
>>
>>15595362
Dune is more fantasy than sci-fi.

Continually explainable culture and technology, and that's ignoring spice and all the things related.
>>
>>15595407

I really wish "fantasy" wasn't such a vague genre term. I mean I know we have "Sword and Sorcery" and the highs and lows but when I look up fantasy stuff I don't to look through lists littered with shit naruto or bleach or whatever just because they have something resembling magic or whatever
>>
File: img289.jpg (1MB, 2983x3027px) Image search: [Google]
img289.jpg
1MB, 2983x3027px
>>15595411
Even big names in literature often don't agree on fantasy and sci-fi definitions. If you wanna go by Philip K. Dick for example, a lot of it is how much you are willing to believe something. Like: Travel between the stars or firebreathing dragons. Which one is more "impossible"? I'm really not sure if he would have put Rayearth into Fantasy or SF
>>
>>15596829

Yeah but I can't help but feel this is closer to a TVtropes issue where fanboys just want to list their shit everywhere as much as possible without regard for whether or not it fits
>>
>>15596896
Yeah. Messing up search filters in this age of information overload should be instantly punishable via automated kick in the nuts™
>>
>>15597004

leave it to fanboys to ruin everything for everyone
>>
>>15589274
>>15589693
Mogudan is a THICCfag
>>
>>15597696
But thick thighs save lives...
>>
Man Id just be happy to find some artbook scans of this show. There's fucking nothing out there. No decent character references no art of the dragoons
>>
>>15597696
He, much like you, is a lard licker and should be shot for liking fat people
>>
so did anyone get the Discotek release? How is?
>>
>>15589229
The finale of the second one is quite good also.
>>
Hikaru and Fuu are two sluts. The first one has two interests and the second one banged the first dude she crossed in the forest.
Umi is pure.
>>
>>15587412
I am the opposite. I can't stand the second season. I love the more JRPG-ish first season more because they gave everyone equal time while the second had Hikaru hogging up the screen time.
>>
>>15601586
Umi is a slut for mokona, clef and ascot depending on manga or anime.
>>
>>15601614
I don't think that's true. Second season's main problem was the lack of action. There was a lot more exposition for all the pointless new characters from the other countries and Clef going over how Cephiro would collapse without a pillar like three times. And half the time, even when it appeared like we'd get some robot battles, they'd just talk things over instead.

I get the feeling they lost some of their budget or something
>>
>>15601614
>>15601626
The second season brought in some great things (I'm particularly fond of some of the new characters, and I was always amused by Iczer-4 and her Obari as fuck mecha), but it really did drag out far too long.
>>
>>15601621
>ascot
You've been reading too much into shipping doujinshi. Umi could use more lewds though.
>>
>>15601621
She never had feelings for Ascot; in the manga they became friends, not love interests.
She had feelings towards Clef in the anime but it's probably one-sided, and she didn't throw herself at him like the other two constantly do.
>>
>>15596829
Dick would've had a field day musing on isekai and the whole migration from one reality to another.
>>
>>15596829
Then there's folks like Anne McCaffrey, who did books that are considered to be sci-fi, even though they have stuff like dragons.
>>
>>15603805

Even Star Trek had the occasional dragon or even wizard
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.