[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unreleased Five Star Stories OVA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: tumblr_opgm8cNefv1v7ii0so6_1280.jpg (946KB, 1280x935px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_opgm8cNefv1v7ii0so6_1280.jpg
946KB, 1280x935px
Where can I find more info about this? I want to link to the post but >muh tumblr

>Basically, this is Nagano’s vision for what an Five Star Stories anime adaptation would have looked like at the time. More simple character designs, detailed backgrounds, and more oil stains on the Mortar Headds. Compare this to the actual movie by Sunrise and you can see how different his vision was, it was much less of a shoujo fantasy and more of a fairy tale war epic. It’s interesting to see how his vision has changed from back then to now, with Gothicmade (the movie) being his current vision for an FSS anime adaptation.

>Nagano once intended to direct his own short half-hour Five Star Stories OVA a few years before this artbook was released. It was supposed to be animated by Gainax, as a way of promoting the FSS resin kits for their Otaku merchandise store (General Products), sadly other than an ancient snippet from an old Tales of Joker magazine, this project never saw the light of day. This all happened a few years before the official FSS movie by Sunrise went into production.

>These images may have been remnants of the production art for that abandoned film.
>>
>>15586269
>I want to link to the post but >muh tumblr

Everyone can find the sauce thanks to reverse image search.

I don't know anything about this project, but if true it would explain why Nagano didn't want the '89 film to be made.
>>
>>15586269
That's part of an art book , not an animation project and it can be found on ex hentai
>>
File: tumblr_opgm8cNefv1v7ii0so10_1280.jpg (977KB, 1280x924px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_opgm8cNefv1v7ii0so10_1280.jpg
977KB, 1280x924px
>>15586477
But tons of animated projects have had artbooks?
>>
>>15586311
From what I heard that for a movie that was made without his permission, he liked it just fine. He just wished they tried some prog rock instead of all classical since that's what he was into.
>>
Fuck it.

http://kingofsiamsux.tumblr.com/post/160903565036/the-bang-doll-this-cel-art-is-from-joker-3100
>>
>>15587565
It's on ex hentai and I doubt it's anything from an animation project
>>
>>15587627
It's supposedly cel art Nagano did to show what an FSS anime would look like- whether or not it has anything to do with the canned Gainax OVA is a mystery. Like most things with Nagano, it's kind of a bitch to find out if it's true or not since nobody's translated it.
>>
>>15586269

Looking at the artbook the LED Mirage 1 seems awfully organic, kinda like the alt version of Ideon.
>>
>>15587910
Isn't that the terror mirage
>>
there's a lot to talk about
>>
>>15586269
I'm the guy who wrote that, so let me explain
>>
File: C9nrpgpUMAAOep7.jpg large.jpg (1MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
C9nrpgpUMAAOep7.jpg large.jpg
1MB, 1440x1080px
>>15588104
Fuck, forgot picture.

This is the general gist of it:

http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~fssfreak/mametishiki1.htm

◆幻と消えたOVA「テールズ・オブ・ジョーカー」

なんと、あのゼネプロ(現ガイナックス)による、ファイブスター物語のオリジナルビデオ発売の企画が過去に存在していた。

1988年1月時点の資料(ワンダーフェスティバルガイドブック5)によると、永野護が総監督・音楽監督(永野氏がファテイマの原画も担当し、庵野英明氏他がサポート)による60秒のアニメが収録され、内容はナイトオブゴールドとファティマが出てくるというものであったらしい。
他にも、永野護氏のナレーションによるMHのガレージキットの全種類解説なども収録される予定だった。
(製品の詳細:カラー30分/HI-Fiステレオ(VHS・β) \9,800円製作・発売元トイズプレス/総販売元ゼネラルプロダクツ)
>>
>>15588115
特筆すべき点としてパッケージアートが永野氏書き下ろしのイラストの予定であった。
ちなみに、そのイラストは海洋堂の1/60レッドミラージュのインスト「レッドミラージュテクニカルマニュアル」の表紙に使用されているレッドミラージュのイラストであったと思われる(ビデオの広告にこのイラストが掲載されている為)。
※このビデオの企画がポシャった為に、レッドミラージュテクニカルマニュアルにこのイラストが回されたものと思われる。

まさに夢のようなオリジナルビデオであるが、勿論というか予想通りというか、直前になって発売中止となってしまった。
中止のアナウンスが掲載されていたのはホビージャパンエクストラ'88春の号(P117)で、この記事によると発売中止となった原因は不明であるとのこと。

こういったドタバタ劇は(2000年の海洋堂のように)メーカーと永野氏との間に何かあったのではないかと想像してしてしまうが、その後の夏のワンフェス(ゼネプロ主催)にトイズプレスが出店していることから、その可能性は低いと思われる。
ちなみにこのOVAの発売の記念イベントが1988年5/3に両国公会堂で実施される予定だったが、このイベントも中止されている。
>>
>>15588117
Essentially, this came from a snippet of a book from the fifth Wonder Festival released in January of 1988. What it's advertising is a short half-hour FSS documentary/OVA thingy, with Nagano working as its director, musical director, and narrator. There was to be a 60-second snippet of animation done by "Hideaki Anno and friends" which refers to Gainax, and sold by General Products (which was the hobby shop ran by the Gainax founders) in VHS format for 9800 yen. There was also to be "various commentary" on the world of FSS and various GK's.

I did a mistake in my post by saying this came from a Tales of Joker magazine- the OVA itself was what was title "Tales of Joker", the magazine of the same name wouldn't be published until 1994.

Unfortunately, as seems to be the case for many Nagano projects, this entire thing was cancelled.
>>
>>15588148
>There was to be a 60-second snippet of animation done by "Hideaki Anno and friends"

This is so weird, why hire Anno and the entirety of Gainax just for 60 seconds of animation?

In fact the entire description for this ad sounds bizarre. There's a minute of animation, so what goes into the other 29 minutes?
>>
File: ZZ Gundam ver. Na.jpg (196KB, 1474x950px) Image search: [Google]
ZZ Gundam ver. Na.jpg
196KB, 1474x950px
>>15588181
Anno is likely a friend of Nagano's. He worked with Nagano on CCA at the very least, and I'm pretty sure Zeta too.
>>
File: 01.jpg (1MB, 1408x1000px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
1MB, 1408x1000px
>>15588181
It didn't say that ONLY 60 seconds of animation would be animated, it said 60 seconds of Knight of Gold and Lachesis would be animated. Which means that there were other scenes that would be animated as well, albeit in short snippets like the 60-second KOG and Lachesis one. Going from the title of "Tales of Joker", it's clear that this work was going to be more of a montage of unconnected animated sequences than an actual film. This also ties into how the the Joker 3100 artbook is presented, which also has specific snippets from various unconnected scenes that take place in the timeline (it should also be noted that Joker 3100 was coincidentally published a year after this OVA was both announced).

However, there would also be documentary-like snippets of Nagano talking about both FSS and the various garage kits out related to it at the time. Which is probably why it received support from Gainax/General Products, because they're the ones selling these resin kits. But whether these sequences would be tied to the animated ones is a mystery, because the only thing we know is that the entire runtime of the VHS was to be 30 minutes, not how the contents would be tied together.
>>
File: 10.jpg (1MB, 1374x1000px) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
1MB, 1374x1000px
>>15588260
There was also the strange image album soundtrack released in 1987 for FSS. For those who don't know, an image album is something designed to emulate a temp score for a film but with original music. Tales of Joker the OVA was not announced until a year later, so there was a strong likelihood that this image album was what was being used as the BGM for the OVA. And unlike the other Nagano music albums like Green and Gold, Nagano didn't work on it at all and commissioned someone else to do it (Kaoru Ueda).

http://vgmdb.net/album/67522

The album is also in that 80s prog rock style that Nagano loved so much, and was also coincidentally half an hour long total, which was the same runtime as the planned OVA. The track names also seem to tie in to some of the images in the Joker 3100 artbook, such as "God of Earth" referring to the image of the Earth Dragon mentioned in the OP, or "GIRLS OF 76 COLORS Eatta~Est~Megaera And Alecto~Clotho~Rachesis", where the first three Fatima mentioned in that title are all seen in this one image.
>>
>>15588196
>Anno
>Zeta

What?
>>
>>15589280
Didn't Anno work on Zeta? I could've sworn he did a bit of mechanical design for it. I'm most likely remembering it wrong.
>>
>>15589384
Anno only drew a couple ships for CCA.
>>
>>15587565
>Fuck it.

Literally no one cares if you post a tumblr link pictures are pictures if that's the only place they can be found so be it.
>>
>>15589384
you might be mixing Anno up with Imagawa
>>
>>15588148
I'm sure Nagano has the animation somewhere in the same vault as Gothicmade.
>>
>>15589766
Tell that to the OP. I only said "fuck it" because he wouldn't bother to post the link.
>>
>>15586311
>Everyone can find the sauce thanks to reverse image search.
eh reverse image search is unreliable at the best of times, not helped by the fact that it often tries to search using the thumbnail instead of the actual picture
>>
>>15587915

Says LED Mirage 1, Blood Temple maybe?
>>
>>15588196

Dont they share the common acquaintance of Ikuhara?
>>
>>15590443
This book was released before Terror Mirage was even named.
>>
>>15590455

I said Blood Temple, since that one existed in the L-Gaim days.
>>
>>15590482
It's not the Blood Temple, it's clearly the Terror Mirage before it got its name. Nothing to do with the L-Gaim version.
>>
>>15589738
Huh, I could've sworn Anno worked on Zeta too.

>>15590446
Yeah, they both know Ikuni. Wouldn't be far fetched that they met through him.

>tfw no Schell Bullet translation
>tfw no Schell Bullet anime
>>
>>15591555
Schell Bullet was another canned project and never got past two volumes. I heard it was made as a pitch for an anime but no sponsor wanted to fund it.

Poor Nagano, an entire career of cancelled or aborted projects.
>>
>hello mr toy company please give me money to draw robots
>sounds good, let's make sure we can sell toys of them
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
nagano.txt
>>
>>15586980
>prog rock
wtf I love Nagano now
>>
>>15593149
It's a shame too. I'd absolutely love to see Ikuhara's take on the giant robot genre.
>>
>>15586269
So Gothicmade?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.