[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tone shifts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: gundams, lots of them.jpg (241KB, 497x500px) Image search: [Google]
gundams, lots of them.jpg
241KB, 497x500px
This is hard to explain but I've been doing some thinking with a few fellow gundam watchers and I had a weird realization and I'd like to see if it's just me or if others have felt this as well.

Now in the 079, the white base crew were just trying to survive the war. They weren't out to change the system or make the world a better place but to keep themselves from being blown up by space nazis. Amuro never fights Space Hitler one on one, and hell Space Hitler isn't even killed in glorious combat but a gun shot to the back of the head. Meanwhile the White base crew does kill off zeon commanders as it roams across Earth and Space, but they never get involved in that many major battles on earth beyond Odessa (and not even that if you consider the movies canon over the series) and in space they were mostly a diversion while the Federation got the actual attack forces ready.

Basically in the grand scheme of things the White base crew were insignificant except for use as bait and future mobile suits were only based on the gundam because it scared Zeon soldiers due to the war stories and had a psychological factor rather than 'oh this machine single-handedly saved the earth.'

The series after that start to feel more and more personal, I can see the reason in Char's Counterattack because by that point it is two somewhat small forces going at each other so Char and Amuro have a reason to be constantly in each other's faces not to mention two past series worth of build up. But overtime the feeling of gundam has seemed to switch from 'cog in the machine' to 'the gundam pilot is at the center of every thing changing in the setting.' Though I'm not complaining, hell 0079 isn't even my favorite series, but it feels like there is an odd change in how the protagonist is presented within the context of the story.

Some gundam series display this change more than others, but as stated before i'm not saying it is a bad thing and I'm not even entirely sure I'm right.
>>
>>15583815
it started even earlier than that with Zeta
Paptimus Sirocco starts as a mid level guy in the TItans but quickly becomes the main threat with Kamille eventually taking him on on a very personal level
the same goes for ZZ, Judau had a weird 'thing' with Haman and was a rival for Glemy as well
that said if you want UC stories that arent "the hero saves everyone" you have 8th MS team
>>
>>15583856
Yeah I know, but like I said it's more that I'm just curious if anyone else felt this way or I'm just over analyzing. I still enjoy Zeta, ZZ, and some of the other AUs even if they have the 'hero saves everyone' narrative.
>>
>>15583888
eh, ive always liked the minute to minute war stuff and the characters more than the grander war story
>>
>>15583815
I think it's easier to write with a grand goal in mind than just trying to survive. Plus it's more appealing to most people, the epic story of the gundam who changed history's course than the grunt who just gets by.
>>
>>15583888
Honestly, I think it comes from about from how the original series was planned and how the later ones were designed.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.