[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any mecha RPGs worth playing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12

File: 005.jpg (153KB, 1280x1025px) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
153KB, 1280x1025px
Are there any mecha RPGs worth playing?
>>
File: rei ayanami.jpg (109KB, 406x406px) Image search: [Google]
rei ayanami.jpg
109KB, 406x406px
>>15575917
Hard mode: available on steam
>>
File: 412562069.jpg (80KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
412562069.jpg
80KB, 200x285px
>>
File: vanguard bandits.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
vanguard bandits.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
>>15575917

To be free, how much anguish will you have to bear
>>
>>15575917
I heard Trials of Cold Steel was good but I haven't played it myself. Also, Xenogears is pretty good.
>>
>>15575917
Is RFOnline still a thing? Is the grind still a horror beyond all horrors?
>>
>>15575975

I just started playing the first one. It's pretty good. The combat system's enjoyable and I'm really liking how detailed the setting and world is. Can't wait to get to the end and the second game since there's more mecha stuff.
>>
>>15575975
Can you even pilot the mechs in that game? All I've seen just shows mech enemies

Game doesn't count if you don't directly control the robots
>>
>>15576016
RFO been dead for a decade, there have been rumors of RF2 floating around for years but nothing has come of them

It's a shame, the PVP was some of the best
>>
>>15575975
>Trials of Cold Steel
Does it have dual audio? I've seen a few clips of it and the voice acting was awful.
>>
File: Heavy Doublearms Nubeley Dash.jpg (288KB, 1679x979px) Image search: [Google]
Heavy Doublearms Nubeley Dash.jpg
288KB, 1679x979px
>>15575917
MS Saga is pretty fun if a little grindy. You can make monstrosities like the Heavy Doublearms Nubeley Dash
>>
>>15576067
You can play it on a PS3 with jp audio by getting an undubbed version from the internet.
Alternatively you can wait until it comes out on PC and then get and play an undubbed version that way. Probably will have a patch.
>>
>>15576095
>>15576067
>>15576021
>>15575975

>all the robots are enemies

This is not /m/
>>
>>15575917
What game is this, this mech is too sexy.
>>
>>15576108
Rising Force Online, a mecha / sci fi themed MMO

Apparently it's still going

https://www.playredfox.com/rf_online
>>
>>15576106

you get your own robot eventually
>>
>>15575917
The fuck? Is that RF Online? I haven't seen that shit since the Ragnarok Online days... Is that game actually still going?
>>
>>15575919

Mecha Ace
>>
>>15576057

Yes, but only at the very end of Cold Steel 1 do you finally get the mech. Literally the last two fights of the game only.

Cold Steel 2 though is a mech game through and through, with tons of mech fights.

The final battle even gives you two mechs.
>>
Xenogears
>>
File: SHVC-CX.jpg (50KB, 298x534px) Image search: [Google]
SHVC-CX.jpg
50KB, 298x534px
Cyber Knight and the sequel, both (with a translation patch) on SFC.
>>
>>15576087
Fuck MS Saga, that game is bullshit. The fight against the Big Zam is a hundred times harder than the final boss, and by the end of the game there is no incentive to make kitbash suits, because parts become specialized and tailored to work with other parts of the same make. I never really understood why they make Tristan get Fin Funnels in the late game, even with the Fin Funnel OP part they do hardly any damage.

And the Post game Dungeon in Antarctica is fucking Aids
>>
No because there are 0 good rpgs
>>
>>15575935
>tfw I'm a poorfag and could've spent my last ten dollars for a while on this but instead I bought the buggy piece of shit flash-game that is Luftrausers
>>
>>15577216
>Dungeon in Antarctica is fucking Aids
was it the one with black Leos and Zakus? i remember pretty anal about that too
>>
>>15577216
>by the end of the game there is no incentive to make kitbash suits, because parts become specialized and tailored to work with other parts of the same make
You mean your endgame suits are just vanilla suits? When I got to the moon, I think only my God Gundam was anywhere near stock, everything else was a minmaxed mishmash of whatever offered the highest stats.
>>
>>15576087
>>15577216
MS Saga felt like PS2 launch title but came out towards the end of the PS2s life because it lacked all those QoL improvements made to JRPGs during the PS2 era for some reason and felt at it's core like a PSX game.

I think MS Saga would actually be remembered as a great game if it released in 2000 along with the PS2.
>>
Front Mission 1,3,5
>>
>>15576271
You mean
>http://store.steampowered.com/app/318330/Mecha_Ace/
or
>http://store.steampowered.com/app/509380/Mech_Ace_Combat__Trainer_Edition/
?
>>
>>15577286
You beat me to it. Gun Hazard is fun too. Are 2 and Alternate still not translated?
>>
>>15577228
The main problem with MS Saga is how everything does so little damage. Your normal attack hardly does any damage, even at max level (50), and you'll have to resort to your skills, which have to be Charged. Your strategy by the end of the game is always:
- Charge
- Charge
- Heal
NEXT TURN
- Charge (10 EN)
- Charge (10 EN)
- Heal
NEXT TURN
- FIRE ALL WEAPONS
- FIRE ALL WEAPONS
- I DUNNO

Your FIRE ALL WEAPONS attack is so better than anything else in the game, that you'll only want to use it. And it won't be enough against the tougher bosses.

>>15577223
It had Black everything.

>>15577225
IIRC, endgame specialization just steers you towards anything that shoots a ton of bullets + qubeley shoulders.
>>
>>15577547
2 was translated.
>>
>>15575931
This.

Too bad the censorship is 4kidz-tier and the gameplay is barely better than the first Xenoblade's. Still nothing more satisfying than the mecha content in that game though.
>>
>>15575917

Xenogears
Trails in the Cold Steel 2 (not listing Cold Steel 1 since there is only one mecha thing shoved on in the end.)
Front Mission
Xenosaga

Oddly enough I can't think of a single mech WRPG, which is odd since there are quite a few mecha tabletop RPGs.
>>
>>15577749
>lists Xenogears and Xenosaga but not Xenoblade Chronicles X
How're those nostalgia goggles treating you?
>>
>>15576065
Only because of how there's almost no safe-from-pvp zones in that game. Core gameplay is shit though, same skills and spells across the factions save for the dark/light spells and class skills
>>
>>15577757
They're all shit desu
>>
>>15575917
>>15576016
>want to try out RF Online
>installed and ready to go
>start game
>see gameguard pop up
>oh no
>computer crashes
>>
>>15577222
Not really a big loss, considering Farting Designs "translated" it.
Just figure out how to get an ISO or eboot.
>>
>>15577286
Front Mission 4 is good too.
>>
>>15577757
Honestly haven't played them, so I don't know if there is any piloted robots in Xenoblade, or just some kid running around saying
>I'm really feeling it
a lot.
Not mentioning Xenoblade X is a mistake on my part though. Haven't played that either, but the robots are piloted.
>>
>>15575917
What's that one you got there, OP?

Also, MS Saga, Xenoblade and X, Xenogears, Vanguard Bandits is more strategy, but still, Xenosaga is more cyborgs, if you're into that, MegaMan X Command Mission is fucking rad, Live A Live has a robot in it. There are lots. What kind do you like?
>>
>>15577469
The first one. It's neat if you like cyoa books.
>>
I like RPGs that have both human and mech combat.

I've already played all the Xeno games what else is there that does this?
>>
>>15579329
>cyoa books
Could this be even considered 'games'?
>>
>>15579820

Trails of Cold Steel.

However only the main character gets a mech, and you only get it literally 5 minutes before the end of the first game.

The second game though has it for the whole game, though aside from one fight, only the protag mech.

3 is implied to have more than one mech this time though.
>>
>>15580843
If people consider visual novels games, then books are as well. As long as they have a losing condition (bad ends) a 'choose your own adventure' is a game of sorts.
>>
>>15576424
>no one responds to xenogears suggestion at all
/m/ is dead to me.
>>
File: NEOP0090.jpg (82KB, 607x700px)
NEOP0090.jpg
82KB, 607x700px
>>15575917
Faselei! and Bio Motor Unitron on NGPC.

Faselei! is like a scaled-down Front Mission 1 with splashes of Vandal Hearts 2 and Carnage Heart.

>>15581757
>WAAAH! No one paid attention to me!
>>>dumblr
Or better yet, KYS.
>>
>>15581780
Cool, never played Faselei

Biomotor Unitron was fun but super short.
>>
File: NEOP00531.jpg (61KB, 640x639px) Image search: [Google]
NEOP00531.jpg
61KB, 640x639px
>>15581780
Bio Motor Unitron is a science fantasy dungeon crawler.

>>15581782
>never played Faselei
Couple of tips:
Heavier units can cause damage to lighter units by walking/dashing into them. That should save you ammo.

You can get food items from replaying maps. Sell them to the vendor for new parts and TS. I'm not sure if they drop on the first playthrough or only on replays, though.

>Biomotor Unitron was fun but super short.
It's been a while since I've played it, did the dungeon layouts change in between revisits?

I remember mats hunting being pretty grindy.
>>
>>15581780
>Or better yet, KYS.
Except the guy I quoted wasn't even my post.
>>
>>15581798
Yes, it was something like there were four dungeons, and they had two to four different layouts they could be.
>>
File: AGB-AZEJ-JPN.jpg (59KB, 523x332px) Image search: [Google]
AGB-AZEJ-JPN.jpg
59KB, 523x332px
>>15575917
I almost forgot that this isn't /vr/, and we can talk about post-1999 games here.

Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars is pretty much Super Robot Wars: Zone of the Enders Generation. In fact, it was developed by WinkySoft, who also developed the earlier SRW games.
The one thing that separates it from SRW is the Interactive Attack System, which gives you a targeting reticle (and timer) whenever you attack or are attacked.
When you're attacking, targeting certain specific parts of the enemy unit in IAS mode will cause you to crit.
When defending, you can avoid the enemy unit's (usually larger) targeting reticle until the time runs out in order to evade.
With the IAS, it's theoretically possible to finish the game without ever taking a hit, but evading can get unbelievably hard, since the enemy reticle can cover up to 2/3rds of the screen, depending on the units.
>>
>all this talk of mecha games and nobody mentions best series

i'm slightly ashamed to be here
>>
>>15582768
He DID say RPGs, man. AC doesn't quite count.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.