[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is any Brave series worth watching besides GaoGaiGar?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

File: 1468629752457.jpg (155KB, 283x400px) Image search: [Google]
1468629752457.jpg
155KB, 283x400px
Is any Brave series worth watching besides GaoGaiGar?
>>
every one of them
>>
What do I watch next?
Is there a chart or something?

From what I've heard Da Garn is good and Exkaiser not so much. Is that reliable information?
>>
in two days or so I'm gonna watch gaogaigar.

what should i expect?
>>
>>15573225
Just start one of them and form your own opinion. Choose the one whose designs you like the most or something and go from there.
>>
>>15573237

Test.
>>
No, GGG is the best of the lot.
>>
>>15573236
shit
>>15573241
Fuck off Clawshitter.
>>
>>15573225
Kinda. Exkaiser and also Fighbird were made before the shows tried to form some kind of identity of their own (although these threads always have some shitter that claims that Fighbird is the best anime ever made while never explaining why). There's really not much to either of them, just generic MotW shenanigans. Exkaiser has some goofy villains and Fighbird has a fun, fish out of water protagonist, but that's about it.

Da Garn is very good, lots of animation in comparison to many of the other Braves, much stronger continuity than literally all of them (including GGG) and in my opinion, the best soundtrack in the series. Also, Great Da Garn GX's combination is probably the best stock footage sequence in the series barring maybe the Goldion Hammer. Da Garn is my second favorite.

The others are all worth giving a look and have some good qualities of their own. Personally, I think Da Garn, Goldran and Dagwon are all better than GGG for various reasons. Only one I haven't seen is Might Gaine because it isn't fully subbed.
>>
>>15573271
>Only one I haven't seen is Might Gaine because it isn't fully subbed.
Might Gaine & J decker are good.
>>
>>15573287
J-Decker wasn't my thing
It's about the limit of how little continuity I can tolerate. Once I'd seen all how all the upgrades and new characters affected the action scenes, I thought to myself that I'd already seen all the show had to offer and dropped it.

Certainly had a better robot cast than the other shows though
>>
>>15573316
I really liked J-decker, but it really depend on how much you like standalone police stuff. I do suggest you go back for the final arc of episodes(40-48). 40 introduces a plot element that get's followed up on in 42-43 and goes all the way to the final episode, and 44-47 follow up on the Victim/ Chieftain plot from earlier during Duke Fire's introduction.
>>
>>15573236
Something that's just flat-out really bad.

The robots are cool, I guess.
>>
File: Varying degrees of Brave.jpg (55KB, 1162x450px) Image search: [Google]
Varying degrees of Brave.jpg
55KB, 1162x450px
>>15573046
J-Decker is better than GGG.
>>
Might Gaine has some of the best music in the entire franchise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dZtudWa2Hs

the plot and characterisation is pretty flat though.

J-Decker literally gives EVERYONE shitloads of character, and it's amazing.
>>
>>15573718
Considering how much Takara apparently meddled with MG, the staff at Sunrise must have jumped at the chance to do things better the following year.
>>
>>15573718
J-Decker didn't characterize its human cast much
That was more of a thing with Da Garn and Dagwon
>>
>>15573728
Fuck the humans, i'm here for the robots.
>>
>>15573748
But anon, in Dagwon, the humans were the robots. Well, 7 of the robots, anyway
>>
>>15573728
>>15573748
>Da Garn
Funnily enough, Yatabe generally favored the humans more when he directed his Brave entries. Which gets funny/awkward when you learn what IP he does later on in his career.
>>
>>15573756
>look through the list of Yatabe's works
>See what you're referring to

fug :DDD
>>
>>15573756
Well, he also directed Exkaiser, which seemed to put more emphasis on the Geisters than it did any of the other characters
>>
>>15573766
It does help that he also focused on the bad guys when he went on to do that Goemon anime, too.
>>
>>15573774
Da Garn had pretty good villains as well now that you mention it. It was really just the robots that were cardboard aside from maybe Seven Changer
>>
>>15573236
I really enjoyed it.
I take it you're using this release https://pastebin.com/NcckSEPX?
>>
Fighbird is the best, Goldran is the worst.
>>
>>15573795
no, I'm just gonna watch it on the internet.
>>15573246
>>15573667
i might not watch it after all.

but /m/ said gurren lagann is shit and i enjoyed gurren lagann.
>>
>>15573910
GGG is okay. Best animation in the series, but a lot of characters are underdeveloped and it kind of throws away the more methodical approach to fights it had in the first half in favor of more yelling and THE POWER. Ultimately worth it if only to hear Nobuyuki Hiyama scream out the words "GOLDION HAMMER" and "YUUUUKIIII DAAAA" along with that sweet, sweet final episode. I will always contend that the final episode of GaoGaiGar is the best mecha fight ever animated regardless of context.

GGG FINAL is total trash though, only things it gets right are the mecha designs and the Goldion Crusher.
>>
File: 14976103.jpg (686KB, 700x950px) Image search: [Google]
14976103.jpg
686KB, 700x950px
>>15573910

Gaigaigar isn't shit. It's just people here hate on "the popular one" a lot more than others. like Gurren Lagann.

If you like Gurren Lagann, you should like Gaigaigar. They share a number of things, like Courage/Bravery being a power source, as well as voice talent.

Don't let anyone fool you... It is still very "Monster of the week" like many 40+ ep shows, but props it up with some decent character interactions and some decent plots.

And GGG Final is one of the purest forms of fan wank on the net... Which also doesn't mean it's "great" unless your into things like that (once again, if you like Gurren lagann, GGG Final will also please you)
>>
>>15573936
>>15573945
thanks.
i found about gaogaigar when someone posted gaogaigar theme to a /co/ thread of all things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fW2IK3lnt4
theme song was so awesome that it made want to watch the show itself.
>>
>>15573969
The ost is one of the best parts of the show. You're going to love the final fusion theme.
>>
>>15573237
Came here to post this.

What is it with people asking if they should watch something? In the time it takes to post to /m/, and get enough responses to form an opinion, they could've watched the first couple episodes and decided for themselves.
>>
>>15573936
FINAL has some incredible fights tho
>>
>>15573236
It's worth it

It's 'realistic' for a Braves and starts out as a fairly low-powered series. You'll see battle damage, repairs, and the "de-fusion" process normally conducted behind the scenes. The transformation sequence is interrupted at least twice across the span of the show. It takes into account the incredible stress on the pilot's body, leaving Guy out of commission on several occasions. The fact that (some of) the mechs are crewed in combination with these facts makes GGG the gateway drug for some gundam and real robot fans.

The series scales up in fantasy and super elements as it goes on. The animation is so excellent that I never once tired of the MoTW format. In fact, I wanted more. By the time you get to the end you will be thanking yourself that you watched it through. GGG may be dull for some, but it's last arc is undoubtedly one of the greats of mecha anime.
>>
>>15573973
Nothing beats King J-Der's theme for me. It really made its introduction special.
>>
absolutely, especially Da garn, Might gaine, and J decker.
>>
>>15573910
GGG has a huge problem with having absurdly obnoxious characters. Only a distinct minority exist beyond shouting "courage" as their primary motivations, character trait, and dialogue of choice. Likewise, the show enjoys putting this criminally vapid ensemble cast into over the top and predictable melodramatic scenes, further making them intolerable.
It's really only in the last twelve or so episodes that the show finally gains a modicum of interest.

GGG is filled to the brim with problems and the common attempts at writing these criticisms off as "hating on it because it's popular" is an entirely short sighted and absurd notion.

But, despite what I may think of the show, I wouldn't want you to just take my, or anybody else's opinion, as the de facto response to the show. Feel free to watch it and decide for yourself.
>>
>>15574094
>GGG has a huge problem with having absurdly obnoxious characters. Only a distinct minority exist beyond shouting "courage" as their primary motivations, character trait, and dialogue of choice. Likewise, the show enjoys putting this criminally vapid ensemble cast into over the top and predictable melodramatic scenes, further making them intolerable.
>It's really only in the last twelve or so episodes that the show finally gains a modicum of interest.
This does not apply to Volfogg and Pizza.

And Mamoru is awful.
>>
>>15573046
I haven't seen all of Exkaiser and Fighbird yet, but all of the Braves are at least worth watching.

...outside of maybe the Dagwon OVA. I mean, normally I'm fine with people forming their own opinion, but you warn people not to stick their hands in a fire to test how that feels and the Dagwon OVA is almost as painful.

>>15573271
>Also, Great Da Garn GX's combination is probably the best stock footage sequence in the series barring maybe the Goldion Hammer.

Super Fire Dagwon at third? Because personally I can't think of a combination sequence more literally perfect when music timing and the buildup are taken into factor.
>>
>>15573236
>What should I expect?

-Hot Blood
-Screaming
-Awesome Theme Song
-Nobuyuki FUCKING Hiyama

I don't know why people dislike it so much.
>>
>>15574346
>Super Fire Dagwon
Would be good if it weren't ruined by my aesthetic distaste for the robot itself. That fucking shovel arm, man
>>
>>15573945

I liked GL and couldn't stand Gaogaigar because of MOTW stuff. Just saying.
>>
I'm enjoying Might Gaine, but I don't know what to say about its quaity really.
>>
>>15574458
Don't diss Power Dagwon's shovel arm. It keeps the thing grounded when it needs to MUGENHOU, it makes it better in a close range fight since it's an extra limb with a lot of potential force, and it can turn into a fucking drill... somehow.

Yeah, Super Fire doesn't need the former because it's a little total bullshit, and it doesn't ever use the latter two because it's criminally underused, but still.
>>
File: Fire.png (641KB, 644x439px) Image search: [Google]
Fire.png
641KB, 644x439px
>>15574603
Ah, well, even without it, I still think it's the weakest final form Brave other than maybe Fire J-Decker. The headcrest is exceptionally silly, the bird chestplate makes me think more of Black & Decker than it does Brave and it has possibly the worst case of the foot platforms I've ever seen.
>>
The only two I can recommend are J-decker and GGG.
I haven't seen Da Garn though.
>>
>>15574627
It's also what happens when two Dagwons made by two different people get bullshit amounts of power shoved into it in the most unsafe manner possible. It's supposed to be a little janky, anyone who watched the show could tell you that. There's a good reason that form is used all of three times, and the last time is it selfdestructing.

But the combination sequence, the way everything looks in the sequence, the way it combines with the music, the way it works with the music immediately after combining... it's undeniably great.

(It amuses me that the MC of Dagwon technically has three final units, and none of them are even remotely standard by Brave standards)
>>
>>15573046
VERY GOOD: J-Decker
GOOD: Da Garn, Might Gaine
OK: Dagwon
FUCKING STUPID: Goldran, Fighbird
NO: Exkaiser
>>
>>15573945
>And GGG Final is one of the purest forms of fan wank on the net... Which also doesn't mean it's "great" unless your into things like that

If there's something wrong with turning a giant spaceship into a even more gigantic hammer and destroying an entire planet by turning said planet into light I don't want to be right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LGS-ywPxWs
>>
>>15574940
>FUCKING STUPID: Goldran

You, me, outside, Queensbury Rules.

Unless you're not saying that as an insult in which case fair enough.

>>15574952
If only most of the stuff getting to that point wasn't shit...
>>
File: kaisersword.gif (2MB, 346x259px) Image search: [Google]
kaisersword.gif
2MB, 346x259px
>>15574940
Exkaiser might be kinda crap, but it has my favorite stock footage clip of all time, and a pretty good last battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0kQ1fQRarI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEnbt1xhTkw

Seriously, Thunder Crash is everything I love about mecha anime in under a minute.
>>
>>15576557
I don't see what people like about that one when both final attacks for Exkaiser's two prior forms were more visually impressive. I fucking love King Exkaiser's Thunder Flash Dancoukogaken ripoff move with the buttrock gatherway theme playing in the background, it's amazing

That seems to be a thing that the Braves and Eldrans have somewhat of a problem with, the initial form final attacks being cooler (and in some cases, better animated - looking at you Raijin-Oh) than the final form final attack. All three of the Eldrans run into this, as does Exkaiser, Da Garn, and to a degree Goldran as well (Golden Arrow is better than Empire Sword, but not as cool as CHOUDENJI WHIRLWIND SLASH or whatever it was called, its been awhile)
>>
>>15576611
>All three of the Eldrans run into this

Eh... I dunno. Ganbaruger's attack is worse than Great's, which has that awesome "pull the sword out of the giant light" bit and one of the best afterattack poses of the Eldorans, though it is worse than Gekiryuger's finisher. Gosaurer, similarly, was worse than King's in my opinion, but then Gransaurer was just fucking the greatest thing.

>CHOUDENJI WHIRLWIND SLASH

The tiers of Goldran finishers are as such:

>RYUGAKEN! INAZUMA GIRI!
>SUPER RYUGAKEN! ITTOU RYODAN GIRI!
>CHOUDENJI STORM! SUPER RYUGAKEN! SHIPPU JINRAI GIRI!
>GREAT ARCHERY! GOLDEN ARROW... FINAL SHOOT!

>MIRACLE GALACTICA BUSTER!
>>
>>15576697
For Ganbaruger, I loved how it used the shield to burst open the ground like some sort of proto-Dividing Driver. Great stuff. In Gosaurer's case, the whole part where the dinosaurs arise out of magma and to pass Gosaurer its sword and shield trumped everything in the King Gosaurer attack for me
>>
>>15576611
>I don't see what people like about that one

Honestly for me it's just that 0:19 in that clip is THE Obari sword pose as far as I'm concerned, the single best drawing of that pose ever.
>>
>>15573795
Mind posting another link? I've been meaning to watch GGG, but nyaa and bakabt are down
>>
>>15576735
That's fair. I mentioned why I preferred Great's finisher, and for King, all five held the foe in place while the sword slowly rose up from the ground and the post-finisher posing was great.
>>
Does Fighbird's finisher have a name? Why is the Busou Gattai robot still called just Fighbird, and not something like King Fighbird?
>>
>>15579609
>Does Fighbird's finisher have a name?
I think it's just Flame Sword (Charge Up)

>Why is the Busou Gattai robot still called just Fighbird
Because when Fighbird does that, it's not really reconfiguring itself in any way. It's just attaching a helmet and chestplate to itself. Granted, final form Braves are prone to having one robot wear another like armor, but at least when that happens, it's a full other robot (or in Exkaiser's case, a vehicle larger than base Exkaiser itself). The thing that Fighbird "combines with" is just a shitty little drone that plugs on top of its jet mode. It's like how Star Saber doesn't change his name when he puts on his own helmet or how Fire Dagwon is still Fire Dagwon after attaching Gunkid in cannon mode
>>
File: goldran_1280x1024a.jpg (887KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
goldran_1280x1024a.jpg
887KB, 1280x1024px
Personally, I fucking loved Goldran. There were so many great bits in that series, and it made me laugh aloud several times.

>Walter developing a plan based on reading an old super robot manga
>Walter piloting a robot shaped like Lau from Virtua Fighter
>Walter piloting a robot literally named Metalsatan
>Dark Goldran
>the pirate episode
>the fucking potato episode
>the fucking wild west pregnancy episode
>everything about Captain Shark, especially Walter doing the "The sea of space is my sea" line
>the fake planet episode
>the bit where Colonel and Sharanla imitate the Miracle Galactica Buster
>>
File: shot0445.png (903KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
shot0445.png
903KB, 640x480px
>>15576611
>All three of the Eldrans run into this
Every final attack move on gosaurer is toptier, Magma finish, King finish Saurer Big Buster and Gransaurer lance attack.
There are even a few mechanical monsters that also have pretty cool attacks like beast dinamyte
>>
>>15573046
No, also skip ggg.
>>
>>15577452
sure thing:

https://pastebin.com/NcckSEPX
>>
>>15582504
it's also up on several drives. This is largely the same as the torrent, with some name changes

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0H40qFkK3_KX1NMT2xBT0F1RTg (1-6)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7RwmhcqYnxFU3BEUzZFWUpleVU (7-20)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0niY2nm8H4AamF3SHg5UVd3QnM (21-30)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-n6AQaqWOXGNzdmMVVQalc0Q00 (31-44)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0H40qFkK3_KajNFTmhKc1JCTEU (45-49+fonts)
>>
>>15573236 anon here.

i just finished both gaogaigar and gaogaigar final, i thought first half of the show sucked but second half was better.

i though gaogaigar final was the better show but i think it wasn't really worth getting trough all of the bad and borings stuff just to get to really good and awesome stuff.
also just like gurren lagann, ending of gaogaigar final nearly drove me to tears
>>
Does anyone have a good quality version of that GGG awesomeness chart handy
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.