[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Valvrave was not a bad anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14

I know people would giggle about saki getting forced on by haruto but other than that I don't really get where all the complaints or facepalming come from.

It's not like the show lacked direction as much as the naysayers said it was or the spergs that would go NEXT CODE GEASS.
Was the alien vampires silly? Yeah but the story,character motivations and everything else made sense within the context of that universe of persecuted alien vamps.
People treat shouko and everyone else as traitors or some moments are out of character but it seems reasonable to react in a similar manner when faced with immortal monsters getting butchered and brought back to life.

/m/ and /a/ meme too much about the quality of this show when it was honestly decent

The only thing that really bothered me was how much fighting prowess elf nigga had
>>
File: 3865c130063298212b0ddf7489359a58.jpg (273KB, 1141x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3865c130063298212b0ddf7489359a58.jpg
273KB, 1141x1200px
>>15569950
Fool, you've doomed us all!
>tfw you didn't get any of the plamo before they finished production runs and now they're steadily ramping up in price
>>
It was boring. Rape was the only time it got entertaining

it didn't deliver more keks after that.Think about it for a second. A cabal of aliens that conducted every conspiracy with a sex crazed rapist setting. They made that boring
>>
File: IO_0.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IO_0.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
>rape saki
>doesnt rape any of the other cuties in the show

What a blunder. How could he keep his hands off this?!
>>
>>15570175
There was no rape, Anime Suki.
>>
>>15570567
Ripping her clothes off, getting on her and pinning her,she's struggling to break free begging him to stop and he inserts his dick without consent

What do you call that?
>>
The first season was actually pretty fun on the whole and as its own show I'd almost rate it pretty high, EXCEPT:

a) The first season literally doesn't have a conclusion, it just stops right in the middle and picks up immediately after so it's clear it wasn't meant to be treated like two different shows, but if they are, it's a shit way to end any story.

b) The second half is fucking BORING, my god. It went into alien conspiracy territory and made that dull as dishwater. I was half asleep the entire time they were in Dorssia.

c) what was even the point of that flash forward to a plotline that never even happened

honestly? i think the rape thing was, more than anything, the exact moment the show threw away all the fun parts and started being a generic boring slog, and I think it's because they made a boneheaded decision for SHOCK VALUE, it got MASSIVE backlash, suddenly the staff is probably scrambling to rewrite the entire goddamn show with extreme executive oversight making sure nothing like that happens again, and therefore the entire rest of the show suddenly became incredibly bland and desperately nonoffensive and nobody except the bad guy ever makes anything resembling a poor decision. Maybe if they showed a little restraint they could've kept making the balls-crazy covert insurgency thing they were going for, but I genuinely think because of that, someone stepped in and said 'no, we are cutting all funding if you do not make this into Seed Destiny'.

All that said, the way the show ends? I'd be down for a sequel. Shoko's a better protagonist than Haruto and it already has a strong premise. Charlie's Angels With Robots Purging Out The Space Illuminati, you could easily make a solid and fun 12ep show about that.
>>
>>15570617
It's an involuntary assault of a sexual nature.

>>15570650
Post-rape is certainly an intended tone shift from carefree to suffering, and it's not like the silly stuff in season 1 wasn't also sharing time with creepy dire shit (remember the ARUS test pilot?) It doesn't really get any more entertainingly absurd until maybe the moon episode due to how ridiculous two guys fighting over waifu bullshit looks in low gravity, but even then the final arc is essentially about a terminally ill kid sticking it to the man, which is not a fun watch.

Thinking back on it, I think the flash forward was meant to provide a sort of tease not in the form of building up directly to that point in time, but rather to get the viewer wondering what sort of shakeup to the world order has led to an immortal Saki fighting against some old fart in a cowbot.

I think it serves more to be the terminus of a yet to be completed story arc that starts with the overthrow of the Council, but whatever it was it was certainly not the story about the Third Galactic Empire's founding that the flash forward stuff with the space prince uses to frame the main narrative.

In other words, literally a story for another time, whenever that time may be, if ever.
>>
>>15570674
>old fart in a cowbot.
That was the biggest wtf moment in the anime for me. Rape be damned.

The juxtaposition of that cow mecha and the story it was trying to tell mad eme think it was comedy. My impression was there would be more funny bizarre elemnts like this but the anime had its head stuck up its ass taking itsslf way too seriously instead of being a fun bizarre romp
>>
>>15569950
Rape (assuming you think it was an actual problem) was among the least of this show's problems .
>>
>>15570740
Again, there's probably a story behind it, but it definitely was another story for another time.

I do think that it should've been left on the cutting room floor for the series we got, since it is kind lol wtf as is and I think introducing the rest of the future period gradually as the framing narrative surrounding the show would've been better. The cowbot battle would've been far better used as a cold open for a sequel story about butthurt Council remnants and their human co-conspirators.

Yknow, simple stuff you could fix in a theatrical compilation series.
>>
>>15570072
Wait, really?
>>
>>15570740
The weirdest thing about this is if they wanted a serious story, why on earth would they get a director known for having silly musical scenes at any given opportunity and have him helm the show?

I mean, sure, they must have wanted to catch Geass' camp lightning in a bottle a second time, yet must have realised that couldn't work.
>>
>>15570855
Well they did bump him up to director duties for Thunderbolt, and there wasn't a musical in Gunpla Builders. I think Matsuo was a good call, he seems suited to rolling with Okouchi's insanity.
>>
>>15569950
They had too much story for just 2 cours.
>>
>>15569950
I have actual fucking problems with this shit than sexual assault:

>forced tragedy shit with shitty foreshadowing
>background characters suddenly become important
>ARUS wins at the last minute
>shock value EVERY EPISODE
>loads of ecchi shit
>the first half is extremely fucking boring outside of action scenes
>anticlimactic death scenes near the end and all the males died
>poor writing and world building, especially in the first two thirds
>atrocious ending themes
>that fake trailer
>tone whiplash
>gagfags on the board came out of hiding
>SEED Destiny fags got bold enough to challenge us
>and Orochi used its chaotic shit to send our board into an anarchaic mess and used that demotivational poster to become the most reposted image in /m/ history
>>
File: 1365373794810.jpg (33KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1365373794810.jpg
33KB, 300x225px
>>15571436
>>atrocious ending themes
>badmouthing angela
APOLOGISE
>>
>>15571447
who?
>>
File: angela_-_ONE_WAY_promo.jpg (122KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
angela_-_ONE_WAY_promo.jpg
122KB, 640x640px
>>15571457
>>
>>15571489
Still don't know this chick and white haired dude
>>
>>15571436
>hating on Boku Janai

The actual problem here is that your taste is of questionable quality.
>>
What exactly did the secret organization do wrong? They guided humanity towards a better future. Kept to themselves and don't want no trubble.

Then some kid comes along mucks up everything. Decides the status quo is bad so throws the entire galaxy into chaos by upending and revealing these poor guys

Hilarious ending where shouko wants peace with aliens when she and her highschool friends genocided a race that wanted order and stability for their benefit and humanity's
>>
It's not just bad, it's irrelevant. Why is it worth talking about this dated, unmemorable shit?
>>
>>15569950
my main problem with it is like a lot of modern Real Robot series it's pointlessly edgy(although at least it doesn't do the meat balloon crap that SEED did)
>>
>>15572182
I know it was trying to be edgy with the balloon shit from a writing stand point, but the way it was animated, I couldn't help but think some of the staff were havin a giggle.
>>
>>15572154
>They guided humanity towards a better future

>cultivating hosts like livestock is guiding humanity towards a better future

Collaborater detected.
>>
>>15572365
A couple of necessary sacrifices for the continued stability of the gaalxy.

Thoses hosts also had it coming
>>
>>15570072
They were really low quality plamo
>>
>>15570868
>I think Matsuo was a good call, he seems suited to rolling with Okouchi's insanity.
Few people can, really. Just imagine how Yuasa will fare with him for Devilman Crybaby.

That said, the Char riding on a horse compensated in silliness for no song in Builders.
>>
>>15570072
They were stickerfests, you don't want em.
>>
I don't think anybody even remembers the second half. I think the most exciting thing in it was when Saki was stabbed in front of the world
>>
It was a bore and characters were one-dimensional even for post-Geass level Sunrise anime.
>>
File: Untitled.gif (3MB, 500x272px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.gif
3MB, 500x272px
>>15572992
>It was a bore
Really?
>>
>>15572751
I haven't seen any Okouchi's stuff other than Valvrave, and I'm scared to death as to what he's going to do with Devilman.

I mean, technically, a crazy anime writer is probably a good fit for a crazy manga artist, but I'm still worried as fuck.
>>
>>15573181
There wasn't nearly enough of this. A bunch of people saw this scene and the one with the screw and thought the should would be something other than it was.
>>
>>15573490
So the thing about Okouchi is that for a lot of the shit he writes that we know him for, he writes like he's contributing to Twin Peaks. This guy is seen as the driving force behind why Code Geass was what it was, to the point that he has brand name recognition for the show and its antics anytime he's attached to a project.

The man is a national treasure for melodramatic bordering on farcical bullshit, you'd wonder why he wasn't on the Kamen Rider writing circuit the way he pulls it off.

As for if that's a good fit for Devilman, I can't tell you, I never read it. But Ichiro Okouchi has been pigeonholed into the melodrama style ever since he went full ham with Code Geass R2. If you're looking for really ham fisted dorama, this guy can deliver in spades.

The weird thing is he did writing for the Planetes anime and I've never heard a thing about the show that'd make you think "yep, Okouchi was onboard."
>>
>>15573516
> you'd wonder why he wasn't on the Kamen Rider writing circuit the way he pulls it off.
He would make even Inoue think he's going too far, and that guy usually saves rape for his Rider novel retellings.
>The weird thing is he did writing for the Planetes anime and I've never heard a thing about the show that'd make you think "yep, Okouchi was onboard."
That is mostly adaptation anyways. Also, ninjas.
>>
File: sieg jior.jpg (332KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
sieg jior.jpg
332KB, 1440x810px
I just wish we got an OVA with what happened between S2 ending and the timeskip.
>>
File: m9cgo5fDom1qaua9.png (342KB, 705x651px) Image search: [Google]
m9cgo5fDom1qaua9.png
342KB, 705x651px
>>15573516
>melodramatic bordering on farcical bullshit
>As for if that's a good fit for Devilman, I can't tell you
Devilman's mood is all over the place, and is generally hard to adapt without toning some of its crazier aspects down, but at the same time, that's what some people actually like about the manga, so I don't know.

You could also actually give a shit about the characters and I really can't say that for Valvrave, and neither can anyone else as far as I know.
>>
File: manga.png (227KB, 715x606px) Image search: [Google]
manga.png
227KB, 715x606px
>>15573596
For sure.
I want to see it crazy DESU.
>>
>>15573596
When you put it that way, it could work out, but the question is whether Okouchi is going to be crazy, or if he's going to be dramatic.

Still he is working with a preexisting property, so it might be fine. Just hope you don't get secondaries jumping in because he's on writing duty who then go on to praise Devilman as a trainwreck.

Really, that's the worst case scenario I can come up with for him being involved in anything; the trainwreck culture moves to the tune of Ichiro Okouchi's work.
>>
>>15573668
Can't trainwreck a manga without deviating from the original story.
>>
>>15573516
>I've never heard a thing about the show that'd make you think "yep, Okouchi was onboard."
I haven't read the manga but the moon ninjaa could be him.
>>
>>15573516
I'm positive most people don't even know he worked on Active Raid
>>
>>15570650
>staff scrambling to rewrite
they made the episodes long before that rape episode aired
>>
El Elfo are you here?
>>
>>15574208
If by "long before" you mean the summer after that episode aired.
>>
Huh, I guess time does heal all wounds. This is the most civil discussion I've seen regarding Valvrave since it was airing.

It's really not very good, though. The first half was solid, if dumb, fun. Then the second half drops the fun and just becomes dumb. The series really lacked the character work to make the level of suffering it was aiming for work, and it ultimately came across as boring and contrived instead. The one thing I've realized is that series rarely smack you upside the head with their awfulness. The mark of a bad series is when you suddenly realize it's been several episodes since you've cared about what happens next, to the plot, or any of the characters, or even just the next twist.
>>
>>15569950
It was the modern day Gundam Zeta equivalent. Characters and a plot that made no sense at all. Forced melodrama and dumb situations they make the characters act like autists.
>>
>>15574277

I maintained then, and I still maintain that a lot of the shit the show got was purely forced meme shitposting. A lot of the shitposters moved on to the newest flavor of the moment. One of them seems to be only really active on weekends and holidays

The show does have it's faults mind you, but for a while people were flat out making shit up, just to troll the show with. (Fake rumors the cast hated working on show, the staff ruined their careers, etc.)
>>
>valvrave
>not bad
It never got into any of the SRW games. One of the few newer sunrise mecha to do so besides break blade
>>
>>15574704

Destiny and Godmars are regular staples of SRW, and they're not exactly brimming with quality.
>>
>>15574704
Break Blade was done by Xebec.
>>
File: Valv Chart.jpg (1MB, 1277x4319px) Image search: [Google]
Valv Chart.jpg
1MB, 1277x4319px
Had S2 not happened, I would be recommending this people. Up until VIOLATE, the first series had this joyful absurdity to it despite how fucked up things were leading to a sort of black comedy feel [Space vampirism, murder shota, L-Elf being basically Chirico, Valvs frying anyone who doesn't submit, that weirdly gay tension between L-Elf and A-Drei, and I KNOW YOU ARE HERO IN YOUR LIFE]
Point being, it had a lot of dark shit going on in the background but kept things fun, something the continuation dropped like a rock.
>>
File: thanks doc.jpg (394KB, 850x1185px) Image search: [Google]
thanks doc.jpg
394KB, 850x1185px
>>15569950
VVV was absolutely brilliant, engaging, incredibly fun. And I really, really miss it. Only cross ange came close to being this good.
Those who say it's shit are probably stupid, it's like they just don't get it.
>>
>>15574980
>y-y-y-y-you just don't get it

Compelling argument
>>
Notice how nobody defending this show has actually brought forth a stance for it. Seems kinda worthless since /m/ isn't going to change its opinion and neither is anyone else, show was a huge mess and couldn't decide on a single tone.
>>
>>15574704

I'm not going to weigh in on argument about VVV since it's done to death, but come on. That means precisely nothing. Shows /m/ calls some of the greatest mecha never got in SRW, or didn't get in for years, while shows /m/ calls the worst mecha ever get in within a short period of time.

Seriously who does this? Is there anyone on this planet dumb enough to think SRW is a measure of quality, and not just fucking videogame?

>______ show isn't in SRW
So fucking what? It just means SRW couldn't get the licenses in like 80% of the cases.

>>15574991
>Notice how nobody defending this show has actually brought forth a stance for it.

Seems to me they have in this thread, but whatever.

>show was a huge mess and couldn't decide on a single tone

Code Geass has the exact same problems, yet there are threads on /m/ right now hailing it as a masterpiece.
>>
File: WEG Haruto.jpg (393KB, 1600x727px) Image search: [Google]
WEG Haruto.jpg
393KB, 1600x727px
>>15569950
>>
>>15575366
Haruto was still an awful MC and I cheered when he died.
>>
>>15574991
>>15575269
>a show having different tones means it's bad
>>
>>15576097

Having a tonal moodswing every scene is fairly bad
>>
>>15575366
>will you marry me
Why would he out a ring on it? Bitch didn't even get preggos.
>>
>>15576589
>i can't deal with moodswings
>>
>>15572812
>>15569950

Can I say, this show was really weird for how totally the main characters were defeated? NO ONE got what they wanted. The protagonists failed to accomplish any of their goals.

Haruto wanted to destroy the Valvraves, and stop Shoko from becoming a pilot. He failed, and he failed really badly. He also wanted to negotiate some kind of peace with the Magus (presumably) so everyone could live together in harmony.

What happens next? The Magius are slaughtered. We see people standing knee-deep in their bodies, and there are literal witch-hunts. More, all he really succeeded in doing was to kill Caine, and Caine wasn't a supervillain - He was just the Council's hatchetman.

L-Elf wanted to save the woman he loved, and he fucked up. The whole Dorssia mission was a complete and unmitigated failure.

I'll add that most of the students were slaughtered on the Module, and the rest are stuck on what appears to be a decaying independent Module in the far-future. What part of this is triumphant?

Can I add that by the end of the show, the Valvraves were obviously outmatched? The bad guys had grunt mechs that were every bit as good (okay, a bit weaker, but quantity over quality) and they had the bonus of not requiring the user to become a vampire. Hell, the 'heroes' completely failed to accomplish anything - the people who saved the day were the Nazi boyband, after one of their own died for unrelated reasons.

What a strange, poorly-written plot.
>>
>>15577231
Coexistence couldn't exist without removing the Council, and Haruto's ultimate endgame was to give coexistence a chance and make Liselotte's dream possible.

The Council and its collaborators were the ones who were hunted, by all indications people fucking kiss the ground the Valvrave kids walk on when they earn the title of "Golden Seven."

L-Elf recovered and joined Haruto's coexistence gameplan at the end, because surprise the death of his loved one doesn't stop him from making her dream possible.

Nothing indicates the module is in a state of decay in the future.

Kirschbaums still require a fuckmassive amount of pre-charged power and require quantity to cover for shortcomings in their design as such. An equivalent number of Valvraves would be capable of far more. Besides, the Karlstein Kids couldn't do jack shit if it weren't for L-Elf and the V-Team daring to uncover a vast conspiracy at great personal cost.

Wait, none of that sounds anywhere as funny as forcing the meme that the show is a poorly written and badly animated disaster that no one enjoyed working on.
>>
>>15576589
This is your subjective opinion. If you don't enjoy it, fine, but don't pretend your likes and dislikes are universal.
>>
>>15575269
>Seems to me they have in this thread, but whatever.
Not really unless all of /m/ is in this thread
>Code Geass has the exact same problems, yet there are threads on /m/ right now hailing it as a masterpiece.
Thanks for the laugh. Code Geass gets shit on here constantly hell I remember a time when you couldn't discuss Code Geass here without getting shitposted to death. /a/ is the one parading Code Geass as some genre-defying masterpiece
>>15576097
>>15577219
>>15577460
See what a fucking mean? No fucking argument or defense.
>>15577271
Not of that sounds remotely well written
>>
File: 1430253839637.jpg (20KB, 356x357px) Image search: [Google]
1430253839637.jpg
20KB, 356x357px
>>15577497
Poor quality trollpost.
>>
>>15577521
Wow people still use troll as an argument in this day and age?
>>
>>15577497
No I mean that right now, in this thread, people have clearly brought up a 'stance' for why they favor the show. I'm not saying anything about the whole of /m/ nor do I understand why you would interpret it as such.

>/a/ is the one parading Code Geass as some genre-defying masterpiece
But when I wrote that post you are replying to there was a thread on /m/ calling Gurren Lagann and Code Geass masterpieces, and the years they came out in a golden age for mecha.

I suppose you could say
>That's just shitposting
but >>15577556
informs me there is no such thing as trolling or shitposting.
>>
>>15573490
>I haven't seen any Okouchi's stuff other than Valvrave, and I'm scared to death as to what he's going to do with Devilman.

I am not, because you're being silly. Devilman is pretty messed up and shlocky in terms of narrative alone. That's all in the original work, so none can be blamed on him. If anything, it will work better than Valvrave because it has less extraneous elements to play around with.
>>
>>15573529
I'd argue Planetes mostly wasn't an adaptation, actually. It has a lot of original content that, no matter how you slice it, was written by Okouchi with no counter part int he manga. He can write relatively normal stuff if that's actually the goal of the production.

Even his Space Dandy episode, the one with the little girl, had a brief Valvrave reference yet turned out OK.

Evidently, it's clear that the guy is writting more crazy melodrama these days because that's what people are asking from him. They want him on board for projects where the audience expects that.
>>
>>15577739
They aren't, but I would still get more legit enjoyment out of Gurren Lagann and Code Geass than Valvrave
>>
>>15569950
>Valvrave was not a bad anime

Yes it was. I mean, I love a lot of shit that's bad, and I can acknowledge that they're bad, but that doesn't change that when VVV wasn't tyring so hard to be crazy in its twists, it was just boring.
>>
>>15577870
*writing
>>
>>15577880
That's like literally your opinion though, just saying.

What's boring for you can easily be engaging for someone else.

Wait that would imply someone enjoyed the melodrama parts, we can't be accepting of that here I guess.
>>
VVV would have fared so much better as a 50 episode show. There would be enough time to cover every plot point and finish the story in a more satisfactory manner.
>>
>red valvrave has a drawback to it
>other valvraves don't

Did they explain why?
>>
>>15580444
Hito (unit 1), or more accurately its linked pilot, is the power source for Valvraves 3 (Hikaminari), 4 (Hinowa), 5 (Hiuchiba) and 6 (Hiasobi). This was a consequence of Valvrave 2 (Tekka), which similarly to Hito would've drawn power from its pilot via a proper RAVE reactor, going a tad apeshit during its development, highly suggested to have to do with the fact a proper RAVE uses a captive Magius to interface its rune-providing pilot with the powerplant itself.

So the workaround to this was the RAVE Mirror, which links with a RAVE and draws power from it. Consequently, one pilot is providing power for up to 5 machines total.

The same base technology goes into the Kirschbaum powerplants but it's also highly implied that entire rune farms like what you see with the Phantom ships are needed to get the runes to power roughly a single Lowenglitzen blast. So really the technology in general has a downside in that it's ultimately SOYLENT GREEN energy.
>>
File: 1492983383925.png (224KB, 538x480px) Image search: [Google]
1492983383925.png
224KB, 538x480px
>>15580576
>SOYLENT GREEN energy
>>
>everyone has fuckable designs
>so unpopular you can count the number of soujinshi with one hand
>>
>>15574018
That explains why it was 1/10 worthy
>>
>>15580576
How is unit 7 from the sidestory powered?
>>
>>15582095
Also RAVE Mirror.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.