[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which recent gundam is worth watching?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: 1420445549951.jpg (150KB, 1243x708px) Image search: [Google]
1420445549951.jpg
150KB, 1243x708px
Haven't touched anything past 00 yet and all I see is IBO is shit, G reco is shit, felcher gundam, etc.

Is it really shit or just shitposting?
>>
God Tier:
-Zeta
-War in the Pocket
-Turn A
-Build Fighters
-G-Reco

Great Tier:
-ZZ
-Char’s Counterattack
-F91
-G
-Gunpla Builders
-Unicorn

Good Tier:
-Stardust Memory
-The 08th MS Team
-X
-MS Igloo
-Thunderbolt

Okay Tier:
-Victory
-Endless Waltz
-SEED Stargazer
-00 + A Wakening of the Trailerblazer

Meh Tier:
-The Origin (I vastly prefer the manga)
-Build Fighters Try

Garbage Tier (ranked from most to least offensive):
-SEED DESTINY
-Iron-Blooded Orphans
-Wing
>>
>>15563369
>Victory
>that fucking low
>>
File: GBF Best Mom.jpg (147KB, 650x736px) Image search: [Google]
GBF Best Mom.jpg
147KB, 650x736px
>>15563355
SEED (first series) is mainly just mediocre. It has some nice mech designs and some decent fights before the Freedom shows up. Just there's a lot of touchy feely "but muh FRIEND" bs because one of their main story points starting off was friendships.

SEED Destiny starts off promising for like, a handful of episodes at the start but then starts to get wobbly when they bring Kira back in. And we get more "muh Pacifism" and "muh no killing" up until the point where the actual MC fights SEED's MC. And after that the show really shits the bed and becomes such a disjointed mess they had to redo the ending to appease the japanese fans.

00 is decent enough, even if it turns bullshitrion fairy-dust engines up to 11 and be all modern politics 9/11 Gundam. The second season they try to be more traditional Gundam and it just doesn't hold water at all.

AGE has its moments, but overall the show is very poorly written, the third arc is all UNDERSTANDING, and the creators operate off video game logic with enemies just showing up out of nowhere.

G-Reco has a lot of little unspoken touches in its storyboarding that makes things feel like an actual world, but the diologue is stilted and the story is a nigh-nonsensical romp channeling Tomino's environmentalism or some shit. It's nicely animated, it just kind of becomes so much flashy noise.

IBO has interesting world setting elements like eschewing beam weapons and focusing on a PMC, but the pacing is dreadful, by the end the director felt the main cast had earned a death sentence, and the writer kinda wanted to switch MCs after hearing a character voiced.

Then there's GBF that was a love-letter to Gundam and pretty popular around here, but fell into a trap of the supermove that solves all battles. And it was somewhat more successful than anyone thought it would be, so, like the pretty girl who realizes she's pretty and fucks it up, they forced out a second season (GBF Try) that was absolutely abysmal.
>>
>>15563355

AGE: Shallow, but ultimately not as bad as people make it out to be. Can be a fun series if you don't take it seriously.

Unicorn: Pretty much a SEED-story that takes place in UC. Not as bad as Destiny, but not as good as Stargazer.

Gunpla Builders: Dunno, haven't watched it but it did provide proof of concept for Build Fighters.

Build Fighters: A very well-done show. Lot of love went into this despite being a toy-based tournament anime.

Build Fighters Try: Pretty much take Build Fighters, remove the love, make it super-generic with waifus for maximum appeal. Bad series.

G-Reco: Either Tomino at his best or at his worst, depending on who you ask. I liked it, but it needed to grow on me before that happened.

IBO: Hard to say. People who loved the first season were let down by the second, while those who didn't care for s1 as much feel s2 was an improvement.

Thunderbolt: Kinda like having a snack between meals, not really filling but enough to satisfy your cravings temporarily.
>>
>>15563369
What fucking shit taste PLEASE never post again
>>
Bate
>>
>>15563369
Where's G Saviour?
>>
>>15563404
Builders was nice and it was short. The animation was a bit muddy particularly for battles, but it was a very grounded setting using the PODs that were actually in arcades as the interface for piloting, and they just scanned in your model and made a digital replica to fight with. There was also just more direct focus on building and building well.

But even for being like barely 30 minutes all told, they still did deus-ex-machina in having the kid stumble into a unique kit no one else had or knew about, and his dad worked at Bandai and made him some custom clear parts for it. So it goes from being just a fancy suit that wields three sabers with one hand, to having all these last-minute magical abilities in the final fight to blow out everyone but the Char.
>>
>>15563369
>Victory
>Okay tier
I'm about to show you the door.
>>
>>15563369
>Stargazer in Okay Tier
Neck yourself, Yzak
>>
>>15563404

I forgot Origin. Origin the Manga is a pretty good reinterpretation of the original series. The thing about the anime adaptation though is that without the context of the rest of the manga it doesn't feel right. Like it's trying to insert it's version of Char, it's various retcons, and it's backstories for all your favorite characters in 0079 into the lore of animated UC. I know Japan isn't as anal about canon at times, but it just takes me out of it when I watch an episode.

Also I really hate that because of it's focus on previously established characters, it's taking something away from TOS. It feels less like the OYW was a war where it's characters happened to cross paths with each other, Origin makes it feel more like it was destined to go down the way it did.

>>15563433

As long as it's now Try, I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>15563355
Only Age after ep 15 and IBO are not worth watching, the redt are good at worst.
>>
>>15563621
Crack
>>
g reco is a good show with a lot of problems. watch if you're a fan of UC.
>>
G reco is fine if you enjoyed King Gainer.
>>
File: 1491708639250.jpg (26KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
1491708639250.jpg
26KB, 500x499px
>>15563369
>Turn A
>God Tier

>00
>Okay tier
>>
>>15563355
Everything made after F91 is shit
>>
>>15563355
>Is it really shit or just shitposting?

IBO is shit, they got that one right. Avoid at all costs.

G-Reco is beautiful but the story is a mess. Why is that, few number of episodes, Tomino going on a tangent and killing characters that weren't supposed to be killed. Mobile suits that were supposed to be transformable but aren't. Etc... It's obvious the guy is already senile and Sunrise shouldn't let him touch a Gundam show ever again. He has already given. Let him rest now.

Gundam Build Fighters is good. Very good.
The sequel is mediocre and doesn't live to the epic levels of the original even though there are some recurring characters.
>>
>>15563355
None.

In fact only a few Gundam shows are actually GOOD. And those were over 20 years ago.
>>
>>15563807
>>15563917
G-Reco is happy Tomino. And when Tomino is happy he seems to channel the wacky antics of 70's kids shows.
>>
>>15564075
>And those were over 20 years ago

Oh look a neanderthal mecha fan. Crawl back into your cave, evolution hasn't done you any good.
>>
>>15564067
Found the retard
>>
File: 1491733018433.png (775KB, 4232x1620px) Image search: [Google]
1491733018433.png
775KB, 4232x1620px
:^)
>>
File: 1489601039933.jpg (74KB, 510x680px) Image search: [Google]
1489601039933.jpg
74KB, 510x680px
>>15563355
00 is good as far as AUs go. The movie not so much.

Unicorn is alright up to around episode 4/5 where it goes full Understanding. Save yourself the time and watch the OVAs instead of RE:0096

Gunpla Beginning G is a toy commercial. That's literally all it is other than having A CHAR who rides around on a horse to gunpla fights and a cool Zaku variant.

AGE was lost potential. Flit arc was average, Asemu arc was great, Kio arc started out alright but took a nosedive really hard, and the finale feels fairly rushed.

Build Fighters was great. Fun characters, good action scenes, and tons of love to the franchise in general. Comparatively Try fails to capture the magic that made Build Fighters

G-reco is Tomino off his leash, and I'm not entirely sure if that's a pro or a con for you. There's too many plot points, factions and characters to keep track of in 26 episodes honestly. Should've at least been 39.

IBO is hit or miss. The plot in S1 moves way too slow (Like 5 episodes dicking around in a single colony) while the plot in S2 feels rushed to make up for lost time in the last season. I personally felt it was just OK (Like a 6-7/10)

Those are just my opinions though. If you want to know what's worth watching just find out on your own.
>>
>>15564793
>Asemu arc was great
wrong
>>
File: X-Rounder.jpg (50KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
X-Rounder.jpg
50KB, 640x480px
>>15564905
Compared to the rest of AGE it sure as hell was. More Gundam shows need pilots who aren't special snowflake Newtype copies
>>
>>15565061
Flit's arc was better and Kio's had better moments before Mars kidnapped him
>More Gundam shows need pilots who aren't special snowflake Newtype copies
Why do you give a fuck?
>>
>>15564793
>Comparatively Try fails to capture the magic that made Build Fighters

You know the more I think about it the more I think it would have been impossible from the start to recapture that lighting in another bottle.

Not forgiving Try's faults but maybe a sequel was a bad idea to start with
>>
Just watch everything and come to your own conclusions.
>>
>>15565358
At least they finally got around to doing pre-production for that OVA.
>>
>>15565395

yeah but at this point Im not optimistic
>>
I thought IBO was fine. It's better than the 00 dreck that ended on aliens and flowers
>>
Greco > GBF > GBFT > shit > IBO > AGE
>>
>>15564793
>Save yourself the time and watch the OVAs instead of RE:0096
Which would be techincally the same amount of time?
>>
>>15566246
Aliens was perfectly in keeping with the theme and plot of the show. Frankly, I'd be more offended if they DIDN'T appear considering how often they were foreshadowed in the series previously.
>>
>>15563355
All of them
>>
File: Gundam.jpg (28KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam.jpg
28KB, 300x225px
Still relatively new to the fandom. Here's what I think so far:
God Tier:
Zeta
Great Tier:
G
Good Tier:
CCA
Unicorn
Victory
ZZ
Thunderbolt
Okay Tier:
08th MS Team
0080 War in the Pocket
0083 Stardust Memory
The Origin
SEED
SEED Stargazer
Mediocre:
F91
Igloo
Wing
Endless Waltz
Shit tier:
SEED Destiny
IBO
Watching 00 right now. So far I'd put it under okay. That being said, there is at least one thing I love about EVERY series I've seen so far. None of them can be considered a lost cause, not even the shit ones.
>>
>>15564793
>00 is good as far as AUs go.
G Gundam would like a word with you.
>>
>>15563369
I can agree with this sans the g-reco
>>
Watch seed if you like to see clips played 20 times each episode and ridiculous story and plot. Oh and muh friendship, assran-giraa
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.