[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Gundam AGE was not popular due to robot design"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 14

File: 20170522232420ab6.jpg (175KB, 624x564px) Image search: [Google]
20170522232420ab6.jpg
175KB, 624x564px
Thoughts?

>http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/105684
>>
>>15553073
Makes sense to me, although Thielva deserved a HG, lets not kid around.
>>
>>15553073
fuck that, i like AGE2 variants, the mook also cool, i like the blocky GM and the blue blocky GM.
Vagan MS also cool, i like the one that looked like dinosaur with pointy bits and the black dinosaur with pointy bits not the one piloted by Desil, but the one that looked like usual dinosaur with pointy bits, you know, that one.
>>
>>15553073
Vagan and mook designs were great.
The only wear I like is Orbital. All the other good designs stayed in the game and the MSV.
As for why it wasnt popular, I dont think the designs were a problem.
>>
I think the character design did more damage.

Though, the mech design is bland and derivative.
>>
File: adele-original.jpg (24KB, 265x396px) Image search: [Google]
adele-original.jpg
24KB, 265x396px
AGE flopped because the director didn't give a shit about his job and kept turning up to meetings late, not to mentioned structured the plot like a video game.

Mech design was great for the most part, barring a few exceptionally bad ideas like the space lemon. Adele is my favorite Feddie grunt of any timeline.
>>
>>15553111
i like that one in red color, you know that one, the GM thing that can transform
>>
>>15553073
I mean, to each their own, of course. I personally enjoy the designs, as far as I can for an AU. They make for fun kits as well.
>>
File: Gundam AGE - 02 - Large 06.jpg (152KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam AGE - 02 - Large 06.jpg
152KB, 1280x720px
No. The designs are brid gud.

Failed because they sold it as a first entry gundam for kids, with Beyblade graphics style and muh understanding/muh saviour shit. In the end, new viewers ignored and old viewers avoided.
>>
Robot design was bland, but the character designs were absolute shit.
>>
Ebikawa was wasted on AGE.
>>
>>15553073
>yaraon
>>
File: 3e2[1].jpg (15KB, 480x712px) Image search: [Google]
3e2[1].jpg
15KB, 480x712px
>>15553073
What a fucking cancer.

Age's design is quite good, it's just that the director messed up the story. I think /m/ should nail him to the cross for that.
>>
>>15553073
The MC Gundam's leave a lot to be desired but non-toymode AGE-1 is serviceable and Dark Hound is great. Legilis and all the moon suits are also fantastic but my understanding is that if the MC suits aren't great viewers stop caring.
>>
When are they releasing this on the west? I need to complete my Gundam collection.
>>
>>15553073
Better than anything felcher gundam delivered
>>
>>15553073
Character design was definitely what did more damage visually.

Mecha design was fairly bland though, which might have hurt sales, but the brand itself was already poisoned due to the initial impression given by the designs. Of course, the show itself was flawed too and failed at a critical point - a good hook for the 1st gen.
>>
>>15553131
>with Beyblade graphics
>graphics
Holy fuck, off yourself
>>
>>15553073
Every other design should have been the Swordia instead.
>>
>>15553401
>No Swordia kit
It hurts me.
>>
I mean, yeah I think the mechs didn't look all that great, but that was not the primary problem with the show.
>>
>>15553073
Well they're right. Even when they stuck the kits in the bargain bin on sites like HLJ most of them didn't sell. /m/ just has shit taste as usual and is deluding themselves when the rest of the world just didn't want this trash.
>>
Despite the weak story, the fight scenes were mostly well done. Back when Studio 3 was still capable of producing good animation.
>>
I love AGE-2 Normal, AGE-3 Normal, and Legilis. AGE-1 and the martian zakos were questionable. Earth zakos were boring. The colony gang zakos were dogshit.
>>
File: 7813856500_4a1e488cc2_b.jpg (73KB, 855x470px) Image search: [Google]
7813856500_4a1e488cc2_b.jpg
73KB, 855x470px
>>15553131
>first entry gundam for kids
>muh understanding/muh saviour shit

So it actually succeeded in what it was trying to accomplish.

Fuck it. I'mma make my kids sit down and watch AGE first chance I get.
>>
Does anyone have the screencap of a thread posting how MC became a hero for not killing ALL the Vagans
>>
I really like a lot of AGE's suits but I don't think any of the designs would appeal to kids much, they tend to be pretty "plain" feeling. And most of the more interesting or gimmicky AGE wears were stuck in the game.

I think human character design hurt it way more, and there were definitely issues with the story.
>>
>>15553073
It didn't help.
>>
>>15553425
I read posts like this in the tone of a flaming faggot blurting out a last minute "gotcha" sass.
>>
File: tetsujin_28-go_2004_1428.jpg (37KB, 300x254px) Image search: [Google]
tetsujin_28-go_2004_1428.jpg
37KB, 300x254px
>>15553338
>Character design
People have garbage taste in character designs in general.

Pic related, one of the best, if not the best mecha show of the 2000s.
>>
>>15553073
But the designs were the best part
>>
>>15553073
Everything in the show that wasn't designed by Junya Ishigaki was fucking boring.
>>
>>15553073
>Honestly Gundam AGE failed because it wasn't marketed properly.
>The series was created to get a younger generation of children around ages 6-12 into Gundam by competing with pokemon, digimon and yokai watch, this is why AGE was created in collaboration with level-5 who developed the Gundam AGE rpg.

>However AGE was barely/poorly marketed as a kid's show and so the only ones who were watching were old Gundam fans, most of which are anywhere from late teens to early forties.

>I honestly think a lot of the hate the show got was unwarranted and
>due to it being apart of the Gundam franchise a different age group latched onto it and hated the show because it wasn't the "serious war drama" Gundam they wanted.

>Imo I thought it was alright for what it was, but if Bandai ever tries something like this again (which they kinda did with build fighters but I digress) they need to really make it clear to their consumers who their demographic is going to be.

Also as a children's show it probably could've done better if it wasn't titled Gundam, that probably made kids think "oh it's that old time anime that old people like".
>>
Age at its worst eas better than Iron Memstruation at its best and I miss the parts that lacked Asemu including Kio.
>>
Vagan mechanics look like Covenant tech so it gets a plus for me.
>>
>>15554454
So the way to Save Gundam is to make new shows in gundam universes, UC and AUs, but not to call them Gundam or put the Gundam front and center always?

I could go for that.
>>
>>15554478
I wasn't going in that direction but that is an interesting Idea.
Instead of outright calling a show Gundam they could do something like G reco.

But I was going along the line that if banrise wants to attract more children they need to create an entirely new franchise aimed at them.
LBX is a pretty good example of this, but if they wanted something even more they might as well make a Gundam esque-series without the Gundam name, just loose ties to Gundam.
>>
>>15553073
Age1R should've been in the show
>>
>>15553073
Watch it further.

It says that it wasn't just the MS design.
>>
Random encounter Mobile suits.

Might as well write it as Medieval Fantasy Gundam.
>>
>>15553073
Well of course!

It wasn't popular for ANYTHING.
>>
>>15553073
>says a random college professor
>everyone kn that quoted thread says he's full of shit

Retard
>>
>>15553111
Well it was a game.. It was designed around a Level 5 DS and PSP game.

AGE designs were very popular. That is one of the few things that gets praised no matter what
>>
File: 1400465626403.png (2MB, 2352x2404px) Image search: [Google]
1400465626403.png
2MB, 2352x2404px
>>15553759

This?
>>
>>15553131
>The designs are brid gud
>stupid looking Age-1 with a stupid looking car spoiler on it's back
>does not even turn into a car
>stupid looking Age-3
>stupid looking Age-3 Sun Visor V-Fin
>stupid looking Age-3 transformations
Because kids like cars right? Let's put a random car spoiler on a gundam. perfect sense.

No. The only decent designs were the grunts, The Age-2s, The wears for the Age-3 (minus the Age-3 itself & the Age-3 Normal)
>>
>>15553073
The mech designs are amazing. Legilis which is fusion of vagan and gundamu is great.
Age is still better than CE tho
>>
>>15559047
>AGE designs were very popular. That is one of the few things that gets praised no matter what

This is objectively false.
>>
>>15564407
Legilis should have been final suit upgrade. It could have even pulled a Unicorn to reveal a Gundam faceplate.
>>
>>15560899
>Because kids like cars right?
They do, it's why hotwheels and transformers are still somewhat popular.
>>
Not a problem I ever see discussed, but the sound design in the show was shit. The sound effects were weak and had no weight to them.
>>
>>15553747

To succeed it would need to fulfil the "attract new viewers" part, which it failed at given most of it's viewers were old fans.
>>
The Titus and Spallow were obviously supposed to appeal to children, but seeing as how every generation past Flit dropped that aesthetic it's pretty clear that it didn't go over well saleswise. Which is kind of a shame: I actually liked the goofiness.

Regardless, Ebikawa did good work IMO. AGE-2 had great wears, and I appreciated how he tried to make the RX-78-2, Zeta, and ZZ look like they were all in the same line. And AGE-1's two FA modes are probably some of my favorite looking FA modes in any gundam series.

My only real complaint is AGE-FX. The thing looks awful with all the sword bits on, which is a shame because the base suit actually looks very nice. And I don't even have a problem with the idea of having funnels distributed over the MS. But all that green on a predominantly blue robot distracts the eye, and the boring shape of the funnels doesn't help.

I much preferred the upgraded variant.
>>
>>15567981
There are more toyetic AGE wears, but a lot of them are relegated to the game.
AGE-3 had one that carried a huge hammer iirc
>>
>>15553073
>yaraon
>Thoughts?

I think its a click bait article.
>>
File: 300px-Dinobotbwx.jpg (40KB, 300x417px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Dinobotbwx.jpg
40KB, 300x417px
>>15553089
i know exactly which one you are talking about
>>
>>15567981
Sales/reception had nothing to do with it. The main gundam designs outside of the fx were shown off fairly early in the airing and the gunpla was planned in advance of the airing entirely.
>>
>>15567981
I realy hope we get MG from this and the AGE 3.....the AGE3 orbital was so good locking...and flopped so bad on the anime.
>>
File: 100 year war.jpg (80KB, 560x498px) Image search: [Google]
100 year war.jpg
80KB, 560x498px
>>15553073

The fanbase couldn't hande an evolving character like Flint
He subverted all prior expectations of a Gundam protagnist and they couldn't handle it.
>>
>>15569646

He would have subverted 'all prior expectations' if he actually went through and committed genocide, really.
>>
>>15569646
>Both Flit and Asemu stay fit and handsome even in old age.
>Kio goes pudgy.
Truly he was the worst main chaarcter of the three.
>>
Gundam age show was garbage but the models was cool if a little exaggerated. There some like the ibo stuff where you could mix and match which was fun.

There wasn't anything grievous about the gundams. The vedar mobile suits was much more underwhelming
>>
>>15557755
they did and it was called SD Gundam Gaiden
>>
>>15569646

Gundam has had several evolving leads before him though, including the very first lead Amuro Ray, and the very last one before Flit, Setsuna F. Seiei. Additionally, Flit's character progression happened in a haphazard and stilted manner, with the show illustrating why he'd change and then having the actual changes happen off-screen during time skips. He did become more jaded over the course of the first generation, but only a bit, with mostly anger and resentment and then it cuts to him being much more jaded, cynical and focused in Generation two. The next evolution is built more from expectation than even implication, since Asemu is around for all of Gen 2 and disappears during the timeskip, with Flit becoming more focused on his family/grandson because of it. Throw in Flit "evolving" once more in the finale by having Kio mindrape him in to accepting co-existance and it just doesn't come off as very good execution to a lot of people.

Jamil did a lot of the same arc more organically in X really.
>>
File: 1335752575119.jpg (1MB, 1280x2879px) Image search: [Google]
1335752575119.jpg
1MB, 1280x2879px
>>15569646

I'm pretty sure /m/ would've declared Flit the greatest Gundam protagonist of all time if he actually went through with REMOVE VEGAN instead of succumbing to Kio's UNDERSTANDING

>>15570078

Don't forget his failure to actually deal with Vegan influences while he was actually in power
>>
The mech design was some of the most solid and consistent in all of gundam. My problem was making the vagan plain normal humans, and the pacifist ending. Everything leading up to that moment was wasted.
>>
>>15567423
>They do, it's why hotwheels and transformers are still somewhat popular.
Yet it doesn't transform into nor resemble a car at all. It just has a stupid car spoiler on it's back and a giant glowing letter A on it's chest like some kind of Alphabet gundam.

>Oh cool! It has a letter on it's chest! I bet it shoots out an awesome laser beam shaped just like it.
Nope.
>Whuh? Does it at least pop out to form some kind of "A" shaped beam-katar?
Uh-uh.
>Not even a large beam saber ala Voltes V but with an "A"?
Not even close.
>So what does it do besides paint a giant bullseye in the middle of the MS's chest?
Nothing.
>>
>>15553073
>yaraon
I stopped reading. Take the bait elsewhere.
>>
>>15560804
my ficking sides, /m/ used to be fun
I wanna go back, back to the past
>>
File: gundam-age_o_576224 (1).jpg (37KB, 640x492px) Image search: [Google]
gundam-age_o_576224 (1).jpg
37KB, 640x492px
>>15553073
Gundam AGE or as I call it Aborted Gay Excrement is shit. I dropped it after 2 episodes.Its no wonder bandai ignores it and refuses to bring it up.
>>
>>15574150
your family must be proud
>>
File: 1+(13)[1].jpg (183KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1+(13)[1].jpg
183KB, 1280x1024px
>>15567981
All blue burst mode is definitely better for the FX.
>>
>>15553073
It was shit
>>
>>15553073
But that's the only popular thing about it.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.