[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gunbuster/Aim for the Top Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: q.jpg (197KB, 797x780px) Image search: [Google]
q.jpg
197KB, 797x780px
What am I in for?
Is this real robot or super robot?
Are there any prerequisite shows?
is it wrong to fap to Noriko before watching it?
>>
>>15550471
I mean, you could, like, try episode 1 and see if you like it.....its only 6 episodes, in the time its gonna take you to come to a conclusion, you could've watched the whole show
>>
>>15550471
>What am I in for?
Fun series that's carried by visuals. The narrative and characters are rather weak, most characterizations are truly buried in the fact that it's a parody Aim for the Ace which is a tennis manga. You don't need to read/watch that first but that's why it can get melodramatic with little context.

>Is this real robot or super robot?
Super

>Are there any prerequisite shows?
No

>spoiler
Yes
>>
>>15550471

M8, it's 6 fucking episodes. What can we even say about it without spoilers? Just go watch it already.
>>
You need to finish Aim for the Ace first.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aim_for_the_Ace!
>>
Aim for the Top Gun, buster.
>>
>>15550479
>Super
fug, the only for sure Super Robot show I've watched is TTGL and it was fun but carried by everything that wasn't the mech design
>Yes
too late on that regard, although when I made this thread I was kinda already headed that way
>>
>>15550471
>What am I in for?

A throwback to the 1980s glorious era of fluff, hot chicks, spaceships and gorgeous animaton. Oh and bouncing boobs. Majestic bouncing boobs.
>>
>>15550471
Why are you even on /m/ if you haven't watched this yet?
>>
>>15550581
because I watched Eva, TTGL, and 0079 instead
>>
>>15550588
Fuck off and don't bother returning until you've watched more mecha.
>>
>>15550569
Gunbuster is infinitely superior to TTGL, narrative and characters are much stronger. It's my number two favorite mecha show

Also, please don't ever use the terms "real robot" or "super robot" again. They're only good for starting shitstorms because no matter how you define them, someone can come up with dozens of exceptions
>>
>>15550592
I thought we were listing admittance mecha shows?
>0079
>Zeta
>0080
>After War X
>Seed
>Stargazer
>GitS 1995
>GitS: SAC
>Re: 0096
>Angel Cop
>IBO
>Gargantia
>Sidonia
That enough for you? I'm sure I can think of some more
>>
>>15550607
>admittance mecha shows
Literally no such thing. I haven't even watched any of those and I've still seen over 100 mecha anime, let alone all the mecha video games I've played and western cartoons I've watched. I've been on this board for years and only been called a newfag once or twice

The only people who think there are certain shows you have to watch to post here are pretty much always Gundamshitters.
>>
>>15550471
> Real robot or super robot
Dude... You just have to look at the titular mechas design to figure that out...
>>
>>15550569
As this guy said>>15550606 Gunbuster is stronger than TTGL in the character and plot department. Simon is probably a better character than Noriko from a development perspective, but the other characters have a bit more appeal (TTGL's are so damn flat) and also Noriko doesn't become stagnant for 13 episodes. It's a toss up for the narrative since I think the first half of TTGL is told fairly well but the second half sucks, where as Gunbuster has some interesting ideas but it's told very frantically.

From a design and action perspective Gunbuster quite frankly shits all over TTGL. I actually probably like TTGL over Gunbuster a slight amount, the first half of TTGL specifically, but the mecha and fight scenes in Gunbuster are vastly superior.
>>
>>15550471
>What am I in for?
The greatest work of fiction in the human civilization.
>Is this real robot or super robot?
It's super robot, but with real physics explaining a lot of stuff, just not how the robot's inner mechanisms work.
No, but you have to watch Diebuster after it. And don't get upset about the different animation style because it's also really good.
>Spoiler text
Uh...I guess? But you'll probably feel bad afterwards. If anything I fap to other girls cosplaying as Noriko. That makes it better.
>>
>>15550632
I purposefully avoided look at too much Gunbuster art before making this thread

>>15550664
>No, but you have to watch Diebuster after it.
I was going to ask this eventually; I thought I'd heard not to watch it but I wanted to get a second opinion anyways
>>
>>15550654
The thing that makes Gunbuster a bit of an odd work to talk about is that it tried to be an episodic show, but it also tried to have extremely faced paced plot and character development, and these two aspects make parts of the show feel disjointed to some because all of the continuity built up in one episode is merely used as a backdrop in the next if it's even mentioned at all, while the main plot of the next episode is something different entirely. This format is certainly not conducive to smooth, linear progression, but I think it works if you look at the progression and development throughout the work as a whole

>>15550674
You absolutely do not need to watch Diebuster after Gunbuster. It's more of a sequel to FLCL/prequel to TTGL than it is a sequel to Gunbuster. There is no part of it that is similar to Gunbuster. Not the designs, not the art style, not the writing, not the action scenes, nothing at all. There's not even any continuity between the two aside from the very last minute or so of Diebuster.
>>
>>15550690
Eh we are gonna have to agree to disagree. Character development feels all over the place and ideas are dropped as quickly as they are picked up. I feel this was all due to a young director trying to include all the melodrama of Aim for the Ace but without the time up build up to these points, causing the emotional scenes to be very cheesy, underdeveloped, and very awkwardly executed. It's not bad by any means, but it's very clear it's a product from the 80s.
>>
>>15550674
>I thought I'd heard not to watch it
Yeah. A lot of people here really HATE it but for no real sensible reason. I mean, it is different to Gunbuster, mostly in terms of visuals, but if you're not an idiot; you can tell that within 30 seconds. Just enjoy it.
>>
>>15550607
>Angel Cop
>Entry level
>>
>>15551137
admittance level was referring to one of the previous posts, not the list within the same post
what's so non-entry level about Angel Cop anyways? the gore?
>>
>>15551198
It's an obscure quarter century old OVA with a crappy dub featuring Jew conspiracies and yes, gore

Entry level anime would be something like the current season of Pokemon, not motherfucking Angel Cop
>>
>>15551235
How /m/ is the most recent season of Pokemon. Lots of Team Rocket robots?
>>
>>15550824
That's exactly why people hate it. Any time a sequel does something different, you'll have someone who hates it for being different. Personally, the reason I liked Diebuster so much is because it didn't constrain itself by trying to be the same thing as Gunbuster, but it seems most people don't agree with me on that.

Anyways, to the OP, watch Diebuster and form your own opinions. It's not gonna hurt, it's only 6 episodes. Also I'm so hyped for Top wo Nerae! 3 (seriously Gainax, I know you don't even have the script written, but I still want more info!)
>>
File: 1337744180442.jpg (42KB, 409x372px) Image search: [Google]
1337744180442.jpg
42KB, 409x372px
>>15551929
>Top wo Nerae! 3
>>
Gunbuster episode 5 is a serious contender for GOAT. I felt very underwhelmed by the 6th episode.
Patricians will agree, feelshitters will not.
The Black & White was a crutch to illicit certain feelings and attitudes, and I think it works it's just when you compare it to the absolute eye feast of ep. 5, it falls incredibly flat.
Now someone link the webm, you know the one. With the scream/howl.
>>15551929
>3
>Gainax
>Gabe
>G

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
>>
>>15551929
"Different" is putting it mildly. Diebuster wasn't even in the same bloody universe as its predecessor. And you saying you liked it for being different really makes you the same as those who don't like it for being different.

Personally, I didn't like it because the characters were impossible for me to give a fuck about and the direction of the action scenes made them yawn-worthy, but no, keep on claiming that people who don't like it are irrational haters
>>
File: 3510966653_5c57d42405_o.jpg (3MB, 2592x3872px) Image search: [Google]
3510966653_5c57d42405_o.jpg
3MB, 2592x3872px
>>15550471
Enjoy it, OP, you will have a blast.
>>
File: 3530581402_bdb1e6b6ed_o.jpg (4MB, 2592x3600px) Image search: [Google]
3530581402_bdb1e6b6ed_o.jpg
4MB, 2592x3600px
>>
>>15552496
The final scene in episode 4 is way better than episode 5
>>
>>15550471
Yes. Its called Ace wo narae.
>>
>>15552496
With this logic, wouldn't basically any stylistic choice from character design to art style be a crutch because they're meant to illicit certain feelings and attitudes?
>>
>>15552505
>wasn't even in the same bloody universe as its predecessor
What the hell are you talking about? It took place in the same universe, this just makes me think you didn't finish the series. Also, I didn't like it BECAUSE it was different, i just liked how they weren't afraid to do something different.
>>
>>15550674
> I purposefully avoided look at too much Gunbuster art before making this thread

Let me guess. The only gunbuster art you looked up was noriko booby jiggle moments? How could you look up gunbuster art and NOT see the mecha?

I guess we're dealing with a waifu pleb here.
>>
>>15553669
I was using the ballpark metaphor
Also,

>Personally, the reason I liked Diebuster so much is because it didn't constrain itself by trying to be the same thing
Does indeed imply that you like it specifically because it's different. How similar or not it is shouldn't matter, and I think it really doesn't matter for a number of people. Macross 7 was a wildly different Macross show and it has plenty of fans. G Gundam was a wildly different Gundam show and anyone who talks bad about it is usually shit all over on this board. Sometimes you'll even see people talk shit about the first Evangelion Rebuild for being far too similar to the show. But Diebuster is quite controversial, and while some of that probably is due to it being a sequel in name only, the fact that there's continued negative sentiment towards it is likely indicative of something more.
>>
>>15554524
>the fact that there's continued negative sentiment towards it is likely indicative of something more.
The fact that a lot of people have shit tastes? That's not anything new.
>>
>>15551929
>Personally, the reason I liked Diebuster so much is because it didn't constrain itself by trying to be the same thing as Gunbuster

Diebuster did try to emulate Gunbuster in the beginning with random callbacks though, which was really unneeded and was jerking off the nostalgiafags. I like both, although Gunbuster more. But I still feel that Diebuster tried to form it's own identity way later and wasted plenty of time with callbacks to the original. Still fun as fuck OVA though and the endings side by side made me tear up.
>>
>>15550471
Overrated mediocrity
>>
>>15558248
Heresy
>>
File: q.jpg (1MB, 1430x2164px) Image search: [Google]
q.jpg
1MB, 1430x2164px
A lot of cunny in this series
>>
>>15550471
>What am I in for?
3 decent to bad episodes, and then the V-Tech kicks in.

>real or super
Yes.

>Any prerequisites?
No.

That last one?
Also no.
>>
File: TOP027.jpg (500KB, 1631x2048px) Image search: [Google]
TOP027.jpg
500KB, 1631x2048px
>Millennials don't like Gunbuster because they are picky faggots

What a shitty generation. Millennials don't know anything about hard work and guts, the only thing they know is sitting at a computer all day and complaining about everything that comes up on the screen.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.