[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you watch a Gundam series/movie by Michael Bay?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 14

File: bayibo.jpg (34KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
bayibo.jpg
34KB, 480x360px
Would you watch a Gundam series/movie by Michael Bay?
>>
>>15550070
Absofuckinglutely, it would make Gundam good again after felcher gundam.
>>
File: Pain & Gain (2013).jpg (265KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Pain & Gain (2013).jpg
265KB, 1920x1200px
>>15550070
only Bad Boys and Pain&Gain Bay, not Transformers Bay

what? do you even actually watches his movie or just memeing with EXPLIOSN LOL XD?
>>
>>15550074
>>15550078
>double post by accident because NoScript is such ass
DAMN IT!
>>
>>15550070
Yes. Lines like the "The world isn't square" or "She could've been like a mother to me" seem right at home with his style.
>>
>>15550070
Yes. I don't really care what other people say, but I enjoyed the first Transformers movie. The sequels weren't as fun because the studio just kept throwing money at him to make him come back.

As much as normies like to hate on his movies for being thin on plot, the man KNOWS how to stylize action sequences. Even criticism against his "over-use" of CGI isn't an argument with movies like The Rock and Pain & Gain and that Bhengazi film are lacking in CGI, but still had tight action scenes. The man is the unrivaled King of Summer Blockbusters for 20 years now.

Thing is that if he's not passionate about the project, he's just going to be phoning it in like he did with the Transformers franchise. The action will look good, but the story will be guaranteed dumb.
>>
>>15550109
You took the words right out of my mouth anon.
>>
>>15550070
/m/ will eat it up as long as the Feds end up being wanked as the rightful Burger Empire expies.
>>
>>15550133
>staying faithful to the source material is somehow a bad thing

Why would you think that, anon?
>>
>>15550109
He's actually pretty good at setting up dramatic themes, too. People tend to miss it under all the explosions and pee jokes, but the Transformers movies actually paint a really interesting story about how war changes you. It's a story about the mighty warlord Megatron being reduced to a pathetic and craven thing, and about the brave rebel Optimus Prime becoming a bloodthirsty tyrant little better than what he fights. There's this neat little parallel between them, exploring how Megatron might not be worthy of scorn just because he hates humanity and how Optimus might not be worthy of praise just because he works with us. I think Bay's style (along with some heavy editing to keep him from shooting himself in the foot with his crazier decisions) could work really well with Gundam's traditional themes of dehumanization of the enemy and moral ambiguity in conflict.
>>
File: optimuscrime.webm (2MB, 960x400px) Image search: [Google]
optimuscrime.webm
2MB, 960x400px
>>15550234
I agree that could be an interesting angle to take but the movies (at from least 2 onward) don't do a good enough job of setting up that arc for Optimus, making some of his actions seem more jarring than as a consequence of his exposure to war.
>>
>>15550489
>>
>>15550070
only if there is no human faces with articulated lips
Fuck i hate the faces of the transformers and I unironically liked some of those movies
>>
>>15550489
GIVE ME YOUR FACE!!!
>>
>>15550109
>the man KNOWS how to stylize action sequences
The action sequences are the worst part of the movies next to the plot and writing because they're hard to follow and are a fucking mess in terms of set pieces. Bay only seems to get the look down but can do fuck all in terms of making them look presentable.

>>15550234
>but the Transformers movies actually paint a really interesting story about how war changes you

This is all headcanon.
>>
File: gunshow anime club.jpg (179KB, 746x370px) Image search: [Google]
gunshow anime club.jpg
179KB, 746x370px
>>15550109
>As much as normies like to hate on his movies for being thin on plot

What do you mean by "normies"? The general movie going audience doesn't care for this, its mostly movie critics and fans of cinema care about the shitty writing.
>>
>>15550133
To be honest, yeah. I can see Bay just doing that. Hell, it would probably end up 08th MS but with less Romeo Juliet bullshit.
>>
>>15550070

Bay TF movies usually have

>Annoying fucking humans hogging most of the spotlight
>Cool robot designs
>Adequete fighting scenes

Gundam shows usually have

>Ugly robot designs
>Adequete fighting scenes

Bay would improve the franchise some by making the Mobile Suits less ugly. Perhaps he'd turn the characters a different kind of annoying, but they're time-guzzling tards already. He'd tackle UC first of course and he always adds a US national/army vibe to his movies, so perhaps he'd give the EF an air of "Fuck yeah Earth". Or turn the war into an expy for the American Independence war.
I wouldn't mind either one.
>>
>>15550577
>What do you mean by "normies"?

The sheeple type of normie. Their opinions are formed from the general consensus rather than the critical thought of the individual. In other words, they perpetuate memes without knowing the basis of said memes though their own experiences. It's like having an opinion that "Trump is a bad President" because that's what all the late night talk show hosts said.
>>
>>15551080

Are you questioning whether or not Bay's plots for every single TF film beyond the first are dogshit or not?
>>
>>15550705
>cool robot designs
>bay
Yeah those designs sure are amazing, if only I can tell who's who when there's an orgy of greeble on the screen
>>
>yfw twenty meter tall zaku gets shat on by a team of special navy force marine seal with underbarrel grenade launchers
>>
>>15551084
No.

What I'm saying is that people like to criticize his movies for being just big, dumb action movies.
>>
>>15551187

Just because they're 'big dumb action movies' doesn't immunize them from being shit.
>>
>>15550070
I've watched enough Bay movies to know I never want to pay to see one again.
>>
>>15550496
>Megatron saves him
>offers a truce
>Optimus immediately rips out his spine
Our hero, ladies and gentlemen!
>>
>>15550070
I have a feeling that certain series could only be improved by Michael Bay

If there was a SEED or Wing movie directed by Bay, you couldn't fucking keep me out of the theatre by armed intervention,
>>
>>15550070
>Would you watch a Gundam series/movie by Michael Bay?
Guys, you gotta stop talking about it or it's going to come true.
>>
>>15551123
Igloo
>>
>>15550234

I never really saw the problem with Optimus in Dark of the Moon.

Megatron offers a "truce" in that he wants to be head Decepticon boss again before restarting the war. Optimus doesn't take it.

Sentinel begs for mercy after spending all movie lying and stabbing everyone in the back and showing his word is worthless (remember he asked the Autobots to leave in peace, and then shot them down when they did, then told the humans he'd leave in peace, and then started shooting up Chicago with plans to enslave them and later says to Optimus he just wants to rule over the humans like a god)

Optimus rightfully doesn't believe him, since by all accounts he'd just shoot Optimus in the back the instant he lowered his weapon.
>>
>>15551794

I think people get this idea that Optimus is this do-gooder "there's always another way" type character and forget that he is a SOLDIER, one that's been fighting a war for who knows how long, and if things couldn't get any worse one of your mentors straight up flips out and betrays everything you believed in THAT HE TAUGHT YOU.

I'm not putting him in space jail, I'm putting him in the ground.
>>
>>15551794
The movie treats it inconsistently where it's a big deal when Sentinel and the 'cons kill helpless opponents but it's fine when Op does it.
>>
>>15550070
I would watch anything by him.
>>
File: ugu~.png (2MB, 1259x945px) Image search: [Google]
ugu~.png
2MB, 1259x945px
>>15550705
>being this much of a pleb

If this is bait, it's masterfully crafted
>>
File: no survivors.webm (3MB, 900x374px) Image search: [Google]
no survivors.webm
3MB, 900x374px
>megatron did nothing wrong
>>
>>15551236
Again, that's not the point.

There's a difference between believing something because others agree versus believing something because you came to that conclusion on your own.
>>
>>15550542
>The action sequences are the worst part of the movies next to the plot and writing because they're hard to follow and are a fucking mess in terms of set pieces.

I respectfully disagree.

Presenting action scenes is what Bay does best. Generally, it's simple to tell where the subjects are positioned in space and they are doing. He uses dynamic panning to keep the camera trained on what is happening. He doesn't fall for the quick cuts and "shaky cam" that are so prolific in less knowledgeable directors that don't know how to use it. Also, it's pretty hard to argue that action scenes are hard to follow from a guy who uses that much slow motion.
>>
>>15550705
very true
>cool designs
they look like fucking shite tho
>adequete fight scenes
you can hardly tell what's meant to be happening, how is that at all adequate?
>>
File: lul.gif (496KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
lul.gif
496KB, 500x324px
>>15552597
>he cant tell what is happening
did you only watch fucking godmars. what is with millenials and their slow eyes
>>
File: rock.jpg (11KB, 492x210px) Image search: [Google]
rock.jpg
11KB, 492x210px
>I CANNOT GIVE THAT ORDER!!!
Bay is based tbqh only redditors hate him
>>
File: Drax.jpg (150KB, 700x1120px) Image search: [Google]
Drax.jpg
150KB, 700x1120px
>>15552592
>He doesn't fall for the quick cuts and "shaky cam" t
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8i8mVxt258
Bay would make Gundam real war kino
>>
>>15552592
>Presenting action scenes is what Bay does best.
Hell no, the action scenes in the Transformers movies are fucking terrible and yes they are very hard to follow due to how much of a cluttered mess the set pieces were
>>
>>15552623
There's a right way and wrong way to do it.

Bay is guilty of it in the shower scene from The Rock. While it does get pretty messy when the shit hits the fan, he did extensively set up the scene and showed where everybody was positioned and focused on key moments so the audience can follow moments that would lead up to the gunfight. When the bullets start flying is when it starts falling apart. Not that there's a whole lot of dynamic to cover in a practical gunfight scene anyway. Regardless during the fray, the camera and editing does steady to show us key moments such as when the one guy decided he doesn't feel like living anymore.
>>
>>15552642
Elaborate. What exactly do you mean by "cluttered set pieces?"
>>
Hell yeah, a proper big budget Gundam live action would be awesome.
>>
File: zeeks.jpg (585KB, 771x1361px) Image search: [Google]
zeeks.jpg
585KB, 771x1361px
>>15550133
is that a bad thing?
>>
I vaguely remember a thread a few years ago where we decided that a Macross adaptation would be right up his alley.
>flashy fight sequences
>fuck yeah military
>straightforward alien invasion plot
The only thing that wouldn't translate well is the idol singer ending the war, but that's more a culture difference anyway.
>>
>>15550070
Would I watch it? Absolutely. Would I enjoy it? I don't know. It depends on whether or not he could keep the core feel and themes of Gundam intact, or if he would just turn it in to a generic summer movie/Pacific Rim clone.

>>15550234
This.
>>
>>15552655
A perfect example is the Blackout fight in the first Transformers movie where he's given next to know introduction and appears randomly, due to the claustrophobic set piece of the abandoned city streetway (one he abuses a lot throughout the series) there is no sense of flow in the fight so its literally shit happening while the camera does this incredibly nauseating movement . I'm not sure where contarians think they're trying to prove defending Bay at the very least Synder is a decent technical director with much better set pieces than Micheal "every fight is in a highway" Bay.
>>
None of the melodrama and all eye eyecandy action?
It's gundam fighters and g gundam live action
SOLD
>>
>>15553492
Are you talking about this scene?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMo_Jx35SZw

Again, I'm still not following you on why you believe these scenes are hard to follow. We know where the main subjects are positioned and we know what they are doing. Yes, there are multiple things happening (Blackout attacking the soldiers, the fighter jets getting into position, ol' boy on the bike), but all the key moments are highlighted. Even when the guy slides under Blackout we are presented with a POV angle to track where he is and where he ends up in relation to Blackout with the camera shot finishing in an upside-down angle -- and we know exactly why the the shot is upside-down. We're even presented with another POV shot with the camera angle going right-side up again to show that the soldier has rolled himself upright again.

As audience members we are given all the tools we need to understand what is going on. If you still can't follow what is happening, that's your problem.
>>
Somebody should post the "Murrican'-ized Gundam" movie synopsis screen caps.
>>
>>15554207
>Again, I'm still not following you on why you believe these scenes are hard to follow.
Because you're a retarded contrarian who can't make an argument outside "NO U ITS FINE". That entire scene is a mess of cinematography and there's too much happening at a given scene and even hardcore Bayfags think the Transformers movies don't bring out the best in Bay and are just shit he does to get a check (as demonstrated by the third film)
>>
>>15550070
Yes. I would also watch Macgyver type gundam.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (232KB, 1057x1282px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
232KB, 1057x1282px
>>15554207
>We know where the main subjects are positioned and we know what they are doing.

We are shown some quick cuts of him picking up the motorcycle and driving away. a handful of frames really. We then see him drive towards the robot through a crowded scene. At this point in the conflict there shouldn't be this many people or cars in the area, so he must have driven away for several blocks and is now speeding back towards the robot? We know he drove away, if you didn't blink or chugged on your popcorn and sody pop, but we don't actually know how far away he drove away. This is kinda important when you want to build tension, which there isn't in that scene. Its just a constant cuts of "cool" things.

Then there is the random tight close up of soldiers lining up against a wall on the left side, its so tight that we don't actually know in which part of the building they are and how close or far away from the robot they are. They kinda disappear after this shot and not seen in frame again. But it was cool I guess?
>>
File: batman.jpg (401KB, 1058x2949px) Image search: [Google]
batman.jpg
401KB, 1058x2949px
>>15557117
A similar scene that is better executed starts at 2:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPaTv98wUsE

Very similar, guy against a big truck goes underneath. The scene is about the same length. The difference is that we are shown with a wide angel lens where everything is in relation to everything else, no unnecessary cut aways or close ups to irrelevant police officers.

In the Transformers scene there is a very quick close up of the soldiers face as he drives towards robot, and we only see his face. But its meaningless as we don't know what he is actually seeing or how far away he is from the robot. Right after its a cut of jets flying over them, which takes away from the tension that should be building up between the upcoming clash of man and robot.

In the batman clip we have a sense of how far he is, and the close up of batman(while still showing his surroundings) helps build the tension.
>>
I liked the time Michael Bay ripped off a movie that was on Mystery Science Theater, and then ripped off his own rip-off movie for a scene in another one of his movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo0qbSJmQfo
>>
>>15557117
>>15557236

The exact distance from the robot is irrelevant. The main takeaway is that the guy rode away from the robot to gain distance, does a bootleg turn, and speeds back towards the robot terminating in a very long slide on the ground underneath the robot. We are presented with all the elements to understand what is going on. Also claiming that there are too many people and too much traffic at the time is both nitpicking and ignoring the fact that Blackout landed and open fired mere seconds before. Realistically you can't expect a city of millions to fully evacuate as soon as robots show up. It probably took you longer to leave the movie theatre on opening weekend than it did for civilians in the movie to leave the city after the shit hit the fan.

Also the close up of the soldier is to show that the soldiers were getting ready to attack. From the direction he is aiming his weapon, it's evident that the robot is further down the street from him not too far from the alley that the group emerged from at the beginning of the scene. He doesn't just appear out of thin air or some random editing like you're suggesting.

Trying to compare it to your TDK scene is a false equivalency. There are more moving parts in the Transformers scene than a motorcycle fighting a truck. Furthermore, in the TDK scene we are only presented with but 1 extra shot of the suggested distance between Batman and the truck. Everything else is just close-ups of Batman and Joker which is what you are accusing Transformers of doing.
>>
>>15550070
Many people would.
>>
>>15558223
ignore the butthurt weeb
bay is a very technically proficient director
>>
>>15550070
No, but I would like it to be made by Bay.

Generally speaking, I don't like any of his movies. The only exception being Pain and Gain. I don't even like Bad Boys II. In fact, prior to Transformers, I had no idea who he was. But after Transformers, I checked his filmography and found that every movie of his that I had seen, just happened to be movies I detest.

So yes, I would like Gundam to be made by him. A) It would probably be successful due to riding the coattails of Transformers. B) It would be good for the franchise to get the international exposure, thus breathing new life into the franchise and finally C) It would enrage Gundam fans. Especially when the Bio-Suits (Gundams) start shitting, because they're robots, and he probably thinks that robots shit.
>>
>>15558223
I think the Blackout fight's... okay. I mean, it's super anti-climatic given Blackout's debut taking out the base and the soldiers going "oh shit!" when they saw him in the city. We're talking about robot aliens who survived a barrage of missiles, but then Blackout gets taken out with a bazooka to the crotch? Granted, the bazooka was firing one of those incendiary rockets or whatever. Overall, I thought the Blackout fight was fine. The only truly egregious part in the first movie's big battle, in terms of the action being hard to follow, was when a squadron of jets fired on Megatron. I seriously thought it was Starscream being shot at, the first time I saw it. Due to the context of the previous scene and Starscream/Megatron being quite samey.

The whole twisted metal things don't really come into play until the sequels. Take Shockwave from Dark of the Moon for instance. He's seemingly killed by a bunch of humans with machine guns. It requires multiple rewatches, going frame by frame, to realize he's actually killed when Prime goes on a rampage.

Honestly, I agree with the anon who says that his action scenes don't make sense and are hard to follow, but mainly as it pertains to Transformers. He seems to handle actual humans pretty well but the Transformers are honestly just a mess to the casual viewer.
>>
>>15559110
>Blackout gets taken out with a bazooka to the crotch?

There was a rocket from the jet, too. There was also a third explosion which is hard to tell where it was coming from. It could have been another jet rocket or another round from the motorcycle guy or another soldier with another grenade launcher.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.