[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mecha Upgrade.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: 00gundam-exia.jpg (401KB, 1280x956px) Image search: [Google]
00gundam-exia.jpg
401KB, 1280x956px
This is not a thread about 00. The topic here are Upgrades in mecha shows.

What do you think about this cliché?

Do you like it.
Do you hate it?
Does it bother you when in a mecha show the main robot stays unchanged until the end?
You do not care?

I personally like it, although in some cases, the new robot can be worse than the original one.
>>
>>15543812
I loved the first season
seeing in the last episodes all the gundams getting BTFO for once was refreshing
that double KO with setsuna and graham was hype as fuck
>>
It was like the best thing watching Tekkaman.
>>
>>15543812
I like getting a new suit or two more then a few new pieces like Barbie got season 1
I personally like Virtue more then his upgrade but oh well, you can go in the other direction and get an Epyon for a tallgeese (not that tallgeese wasnt also epic)
>>
I usually really like the idea of characters getting a new, more powerful unit as the series goes on. Whether or not it bothers me that they don't upgrade depends on the length of the series.

Most recent examples of upgrades worse than the base model were Kimaris Trooper from Kimaris and Kimaris Vidar from Vidar.
>>
>>15543825
Tekkaman blade had a final form.
>>
>>15543839
Vidar was literally removed for nothing. Vidar against Bael would have been nice.
>>
>>15543812
It just depends on the show. I'd have been upset if there were no upgrades in something like Gravion. On the other hand, it would have been ridiculously out of place in Giant Gorg
>>
>>15543840
I think he meant that the Blaster Tekkaman upgrade was the hypest shit.
>>
>>15543843
Was the Kimaris the most heavily equipped suit in IBO? The last form had a fuckton of stuff strapped into it.
>>
>>15543848
Graze Ein had a ton of weapons as well.
>>
File: 1491576993941.jpg (105KB, 600x1004px) Image search: [Google]
1491576993941.jpg
105KB, 600x1004px
>>15543843
>this thing was wasted slaughtering mooks instead of tangling with another gundam
>>
>>15543848

I thought the Kimaris from s1, at least it's space mode, was meant for decoration. It's kinda like a soldier being in parade uniform whereas the KV, it's original form, was it decked out in it's actual space combat gear.
>>
>>15543934
I wonder if the Vidar armor was made for the Kimaris or came from another Gundam frame.
>>
File: strike-destiny-noir.jpg (534KB, 1954x956px) Image search: [Google]
strike-destiny-noir.jpg
534KB, 1954x956px
>>15543812
>>15543812
>Does it bother you when in a mecha show the main robot stays unchanged until the end?
A bit. Upgrades are necessary to keep the things going: enemy got stronger, hero do the same (vice versa).

/m/ loves destruction, but I don't think you always need to literally destroy a suit to introduce a new one. Sometimes slow "scalability" is better.

To me, Strike -> Impulse -> Destiny -> Noir shows a nice transition. On the other hand, Freedom to S.Freedom was comical.
>>
>>15543839
Is it me or did Gaelio fight worse against Choco in the KV, than when he was using the Vidar against Mika?
I swear his tactics and skill dropped a few levels.
>>
>>15543934
I liked how barbatos evolved with mikas combat style
>>
>>15544005
The Noir was constructed before the Destiny though wasn't it?
>>
>>15543812
Wholeheartedly agree with >>15544005, technology advances, and if the protagonist doesn't get a good upgrade, then he'll be soon to be fucked.

I'd consider the Magnetic Coating for the RX-78-2 Gundam to be a legitimate upgrade for it.

But no, I freaking love that shit. GIMME DAT BLASTER TEKKAMAAAAAAN
>>
>>15544042
>The Noir was constructed before the Destiny though wasn't it?
Officially, yes. Noir in Stargazer appears around ep. 07-08. Destiny appears in ep.35-36.

O.M.N.I. did the Phantom Pain class (Noir, Verde Buster, Blu Duel...) and Plant the 2nd phase class (Abyss, Chaos, Gaia...), both pratically at the same time.
>>
>>15543812
I like it when it actually looks like a upgrade.

Problem is, that only happened in Zeta and never again.
>>
>>15544153

The V to V2, Shining to God, Wing to Wing Zero and X to XD to Double X upgrades look more like their predecessors than Zeta does to the Mk II.
>>
>>15544153
Exia to 00 is a huge upgrade.
>>
>>15544153
Wut?
>>
>>15544194
Just your usual pleb who only watched Gundam.
>>
File: 1487395636416.jpg (27KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
1487395636416.jpg
27KB, 640x481px
>>15544172
>>15544175
I was talking about the aesthetics of the upgraded designs you guys
>>
>>15544355
Not either of those anons, but

I mean

The Gundam Mk-II is pretty generic-looking, but the Zeta.

THE ZETA.

Now THAT's a Gundam with power. THAT'S a Gundam that can fuck your shit up in three different ways. THAT'S a Gundam for the new generation.
>>
>>15544355

So was I (>>15544172), hence why I said LOOK like their predecessors.
>>
File: Sandrock 1.jpg (216KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
Sandrock 1.jpg
216KB, 500x750px
Best upgrade ever is a Space MAC-10
>>
>>15544005
I actually really liked the Freedom to Strike Freedom transition because it's a pretty simple one, all things considered.

Freedom was an all-purpose unit designed to have a competent weapon for every situation, and Strike Freedom didn't try to reinvent that. It carries over most of Freedom's equipment with improvements, while building on its multirole capabilities with the addition of the DRAGOONs and chest cannon.

It's a direct, almost brutally straightforward upgrade.
>>
>>15547199
The problem is how it was introduced. It would have been much better if Kira had fought at first with the Strike with Perfect pack and the Strike Freedom was nothing more than the old Freedom repaired and upgraded secretly by the Junk Guild.
>>
I like upgrades for the most part, they provide more design variety.

It does depend on how they're introduced and used though. Upgrades or repairs made to the existing mecha tend to be my favorite. Especially if they're jury rigged in some way and more of a trade-off than an all-around upgrade.
>>
>>15544512
Good, MACs in atmosphere are scary!
>>
>>15547364
No, that's stupid.
>>
>>15547717
>Hey, did you know? Zaft has built up two new Super gundams. A new Freedom and Justice.
>Wow, Seriously? Those faggots never learn.
>Let's steal them again, I bet they are not even locked.

Yeah, you are right. This is better.
>>
>>15547364
Imo it would have been better if Terminal instead stole an incomplete Strike E from the EA and made the DRAGOON wings on their own for it.
They add in the reactor, swap out the TPS for VPS, and did an all-round overhaul of the base frame on top of strengthening it, then added the Terminal-made pack to it, maybe name it the Freedom Striker, and the configuration of this modded Strike E with this Striker would then be called the Strike Freedom.

The existence of Infinite Justice would never make sense unless ZAFT was trying some morale boosting tactic by bringing back the supposed "hero" MS of the previous war, IJ was a pretty damn good upgrade though.
>>
>>15549853
That sounds like an obscene amount of work for an underground intelligence network to do. It's not even their specialty.
>>
>>15549863
Why does Lacus even have an underground intelligence agency?
>>
>>15543812
I like it when done well.

Zeta did it the best I think because it toyed with the viewer's expectations. There was a big build-up to the "Zeta Gundam" throughout the whole show and the Gundam Mk II was a delightfully cool and interestingly underpowered mecha that gave it a twist. It kind of suggested to the audience that you can't just slap "Gundam" or "Superman" or whatever title onto something and it magically obtain the properties of its predecessor. That's very "real-robot", I think. The fact that the next "hero" Gundam looks almost completely different to the original Gundam, and that the numbered "Gundam Mk" series ends up becoming villainous drives it home.

I liked the way Amuro's RX-78-2 is replaced with the G3 in the novel; I like that it's a simple switch that becomes more tacticool and reflects the sombre nature of the narrative.

IBO did it pretty well too; Lupus didn't add much to the Barbatos but the Rex added a lot to the Lupus. Basically I like when suits get their shit wrecked and are FORCED to upgrade. 00 did it the completely WRONG way by having them magically have four super-powered MS just sitting there ready for them at a set time. The 00, 00 Raiser and Qan[T] are some of the shittest designs to come out of Gundam.
>>
>>15549863
To be fair, it wouldn't be hard for them to do all that.
The only hard part is the stealing shit from the EA part, where they either have an insider helping or they storm the place and get the hell out of there with it(Could also be done by the Junk Guild). They could also steal the reactor needed from ZAFT
The production of new parts could be trouble, but facilities secretly sponsored by ORB, and the Junk Guild would help with that
>>
>>15544005
I hate the Strike Freedom so much because the Freedom is such a work of beauty.
>>
I constantly shitpost about it but tbqh Gundam does upgrades pretty well in general. The most recent exception to the rule being the G-Self and its endless carnival of disgusting backpacks.
>>
>>15549885
>00 did it the completely WRONG

Here you start say things out of your ass. CB have always had technological development goals. Generation 1, then Generation 2, the Gen of Exia and so with the gen 4, with the Twin driver and mobil suits optimize for Trans-arm.

Sometimes the problems are not in the stories itself, but in the brains of those who watch at them.
>>
>>15549909
>Here you start say things out of your ass.
Yeah, well your grammar is shit.
>and so with the gen 4
>with the Twin driver
>mobil suits
>Trans-arm.
Great work champ.

To clarify, there was practically no word on "generations" in the show itself, that stuff is brought in from the side material to justify there being 4+ other Gundams just so some shitty writer can write his fanfic with a hologram loli as a pilot. That point aside, I never said that's not how it works in 00 either; just that, in terms of story, in terms of a Gundam narrative, those upgrades are boring. So they just happened to finish all four at exactly the same time and have the ability and time to transfer the same four drives over? If not, why didn't they roll them out one at a time to ensure they actually won the final battle? It's just stupid.
>>
>>15549885
>I like when suits get their shit wrecked and are FORCED to upgrade.

So you like 00.
>>
>>15549912
it doesn't matter if the word generation is used or not. And it doesn't matter what happens in the novels.

In the anime it's specifically said that CBs develop mobile suits with a super-advanced technology. The Exia was the pinnacle of its era and was also upgraded with a new Gn blade at the start of the show, just to point out that the development is continuing. 00 is nothing more than the next step in this development.

Again, the problem is in your brain, not in the story.
>>
>>15549885
>Huuur i hate 00.

It's fine. You don't need all these circumlocutions.
>>
>>15549885

> There was a big build-up to the "Zeta Gundam" throughout the whole show

Beyond the show being named "Zeta Gundam" there's not much build up. I'm not even sure there's any beyond that one scene of Kamille showing Astoniage his design for a new mobile suit and Astoniage saying he likes it.

> the Gundam Mk II was a delightfully cool and interestingly underpowered mecha

What was interestingly underpowered about it? Or do you just mean that it being underpowered was interesting? Not that it was under powered; it was at least a match for most suits and really only started getting outstripped about episode 20 or so when the Titans and Scirocco started using prototype transformable suits more often. And even then it levelled the playing field using the Super Gundam pack.

> The fact that the next "hero" Gundam looks almost completely different to the original Gundam

It used a different design approach in prioritizing triangles, but the overall shape and appearance was similar. If it had used the Baund Doc design or something you could say it looked completley different, the actual design they used had similar colors, weapons, proportions and layout though.

> the numbered "Gundam Mk" series ends up becoming villainous

It only ends up villainous if you count like the Mk IV or something, which came out years after the anime, were mostly confined to games and weren't animated at all. The Mk II in the show was heroic, and there were no further Mks of any alignment.

> I like when suits get their shit wrecked and are FORCED to upgrade

This is exactly what happened in 00 though. Rather than just having 4 new suits sitting there ready for them the four original suits are wrecked at the end of season one and it takes them 4 years to get 4 new suits ready. Even then the 00 wasn't actually fully ready, and even when Setsuna gets it working it's not working properly and they have to come up with a work-around that makes it more efficient but still isn't perfect.
>>
>>15551207

The movie has much the same happen, with the Gundams being cannibalized for their True GN engine so they can make new ones that take more advantage of bits given how effective Ribbons had proven them but they couldn't upgrade any of them to be proper 5th Generation suits like the 00 since they didn't have the engines to do that. Even in the case of 00's upgrade they had to take Tieria's True GN engine and give his unit 3 non-synchronized GN Tau drives to power it because they couldn't make more True GN drives. So the Zabanya, Harute and Raphael are only slight improvements over their second season counterparts, rather than true upgrades since they can't logistically make them 5th generation machines.
>>
>>15551229
Actually the Quanta's drives are both completely new. Tieria's was destroyed when Ribbons shot him down and the 00's drives were both destroyed in Setsuna's fight with Ribbons.
But the point still stands. Arios and Archer were most likely scrapped for materials for the Harute.
>>
>>15551229
No, the 00Q has two brand new true GN drives straight from Jupiter. The true GN drive in the Seraphim Gundam was lost when it was destroyed by the Reborns.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.