[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is Zelda /m/ now?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 20

File: 797987.jpg (440KB, 1200x700px) Image search: [Google]
797987.jpg
440KB, 1200x700px
So is Zelda /m/ now?
>>
If you consider Alexander from Final Fantasy to be /m/.
>>
Does the new Zelda really have fucking mecha in it?
>>
>>15542493
>implying it hasn't been /m/ since at least Majora's Mask, where you have to murder a mechanical boat for his head

>>15542504
There are mechanical enemies and levels, yes. You literally have a PDA that you can make energy bombs from and take pictures with, and you can wield laser swords and beam shields.
>>
File: C_sZQAHUMAAcEJS.jpg large.jpg (120KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
C_sZQAHUMAAcEJS.jpg large.jpg
120KB, 1280x720px
>>15542504
Yes, you can harvest their parts to make a robot battle suit too.
>>
>>15542504
Yeah, but Hyrule is still a medieval place in the game. All the mechs and advanced weapons are handwaved as being "ancient" technology that was rediscovered.
>>
>>15542493
>first dungeon in
>protagonist is blank the slate
when does this get good?
>>
>>15542550
Is that a chainsword?
>>
>>15542593
Link has always been a blank slate. He never shows any signs of strong personality in any games.

Though I'm pretty sure he at least banged Mipha in this game's backstory.
>>
>>15542542
>>15542550
>>15542600
This shit sounds nothing like Zelda.
>>
>>15542633
It's actually really good, but yeah it's different.

BOTW is to the Zelda franchise what Shin Godzilla was to the Godzilla franchise.

Very different, radical reboots but containing all the familiar elements and themes along with added nostalgia.
>>
>>15542599
It's a beam chainsword. All the beam weapons are good, but the ones you can craft are the best.

>>15542600
Link has like four different girls over the course of the story want to bang him. One died, one gave up, one has no idea what's going on, and he's basically Loran to the last one.
>>
>>15542493
If the end of the year DLC story contains a new Divine Beast, and the 5 of them GATTAI. Then it'll be official.
>>
>>15542654
So plot-wise it's a complete reboot or what? No connection to the other games? I'm too lazy to actually read the summary on some wiki.
>>
File: 61883128_p0.jpg (516KB, 1024x1280px) Image search: [Google]
61883128_p0.jpg
516KB, 1024x1280px
cutest link since forever.
>>
>>15542689
At minimum it takes place over 10000 years in the future, with references to all previous timelines and various games.

Actually thinking about it, it's very much like Turn A in both setting and tech level.
>>
>>15542689
>So plot-wise it's a complete reboot or what? No connection to the other games?
Pretty much. The game makes several references to events that take place in many other games, but I'm pretty sure those are just there as little shout-outs and references to the franchise's history (similar to shingoji)

The plot pretty much retcons the shit out of the previous continuity, such as having Zora, Rito, and Koroks coexist in Hyrule, the divine beasts being built by sheikah, and the triforce actually has very little to do with the plot and is never even mentioned or referenced in dialogue.
>>
File: C6tg8ylU0AAydGH.jpg large.jpg (134KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
C6tg8ylU0AAydGH.jpg large.jpg
134KB, 1280x720px
>>15542689
It's unconfirmed, but it does feel like a soft reboot of sorts, kind of in >>15542689 kinda way.

There's also an underlying theory that Breath of the Wild is a remake of the very first Zelda as it borrows heavily in terms of gameplay concepts and goals from it.
>>
File: C_Nwko2UIAE4TtF.jpg large.jpg (110KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
C_Nwko2UIAE4TtF.jpg large.jpg
110KB, 1280x720px
>>15542718
I love the sunsets
>>
File: 1495072587768.webm (840KB, 608x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1495072587768.webm
840KB, 608x1080px
>>15542696
>>
File: file.png (342KB, 332x500px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
342KB, 332x500px
>>15542575
>>15542504
The aesthetic fits pretty well with the concept. All the technology was inspired by Jomon Pottery, and in real life Jomon Period Pottery and especially the Dogu statues from the same time period were symbols of the old ancient astronaut theory in Japan. Tl;dr: the Dogu was an ancient astronaut suit. All ancient cultures were ayylmaos. It was really popular with Japanese people who grew up in the 70s and I swear there was even a Scooby Doo episode about it but I might be imagining it.

A Dogu statue actually appears in that scientists lab in Breath of the Wild, and was eve going to appear in the NES Zelda, early dot art concept art showed a little dogu guy.

They were everywhere in Japans pop culture, like Takara's microman.
>>
>>15542710
How exactly does it retcon the continuity? Could you elaborate? I'm pretty sure it's confirmed the game takes place 10,000 years after the other games.
>>
File: file.png (109KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
109KB, 320x320px
>>15542749
to fucking Digimon.

But jesus christ give those poor medieval motherfuckers real plumbing at least? It's kind of unbelievable as a fantasy world if it wasn't for the fact that people are so familiar with Zelda now. The King did intentionally destroy all technology and force the Sheikah to abandon it out of fear, which is what spawned the Yiga.

But christ give the guys some decent shitters so they don't die of shit disease come on.
>>
File: 200px-JomonStatue.jpg (28KB, 200x283px) Image search: [Google]
200px-JomonStatue.jpg
28KB, 200x283px
>>15542749
dogu are cool as fuck
And there are references to them all the place
>>
>>15542710
>>15542751

Not the guy you are replying too but this is the impression I got from all the references and eastereggs as well, but more important in Impa's cutscene where she explains the event 10,000 I swear she says something that implies that all the other games were legends and what really happened was the super vague shit with the Guardians. Which is why I thought that the map referencing all the games, literally all of them, was possible.

The games really aren't supposed to be taken as literally as people do, and especially not the timeline. The wording on the disclaimer before the timeline implies it's just a recording of all known knowledge at that time, and they directly say it ca be changed or expanded on at any time as more information is uncovered. Kind of how we think the Battle of Troy was just one fucking day but it was actually a huge amount of time and so many interconnected events.

They really do just reimagine the NES game every single time like a Legend. The super literal people who try to dissect the timeline like it was meant to be dissected really ruin the spirit of the games for me.
>>
File: file.png (928KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
928KB, 1024x576px
>>15542765
Also sorry I don't have sources for this post. Ganon was such a terrible boss that it ruined the entire game for me so I don't want to even bother finding that Impa quote.
>>
>>15542751
>Could you elaborate
Well, first off, the Rito are supposed to be the evolved Zora race, and the Koroks are the evolved Kokiri race. They only assumed those forms because Hyrule was flooded and shit in Wind waker, however in BOTW these races are coexisting within Hyrule and Hyrule doesn't seem like it was ever flooded.

Also, the sheikah building the divine beasts. In Ocarina of time, Impa is one of the last of the Sheikah and OoT is actually one of the earliest in the Zelda timeline. In the later games in that timeline, the shiekah are nowhere to be found (aside from a nursemaid named Impa) but all of a sudden in BOTW they prospered 10,000 years ago after the games and build giant mecha to fight Ganon

And the game doesn't explicitly take place 10,000 years after the other games. In-universe, it takes place 10k years after a technologically advanced Hyrule sealed away Ganon using mecha.

It also makes light references to both wind waker and twilight princess, which take place in different timelines altogether.

It's just a mismash of all the classic Zelda elements with new a gameplay and look. Miyamoto doesn't give a fuck about continuity anyways.
>>
>>15542751
And you know the only interesting thing the English Dub did besides be bad was when Ganon is going full giant pig Zelda says "GANON IS GIVING UP ON REINCARNATION TO TAKE THIS POWERFUL FORM!" meaning OH WOW THIS IS THE END OF THE TIMELINE GANON WON'T COME BACK THIS IS IMPORTANT!
While in Japanese it was "...ganon knows he will always reincarnate so he... doesn't really care... hes just going all out and he'll see you in a few years" which kinda takes the wind out of the ol' sails.
>>
>>15542765
The game directly states that Naboris was named after Nabooru, and Ruta was named after Ruto, so all the other games happened, it's just been so long that they're now just legends to the current people. Beyond that it really doesn't matter.
>>
File: file.png (279KB, 369x554px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
279KB, 369x554px
>>15542689
>>15542772
It's almost like what I think they were trying to do with Wind Waker, which was an attempt to set up a future where Zelda games could move into the future and do something new, while honoring the games that came before it. We're on /m/ so think Turn A Gundam's Correct Century Timeline except they don't even explicitly say it's literally converged, but you get that impression from everything you see in the game.

Actually speaking of impressions, there's a fucking reason they emulate the artstyle of a painting. It's all supposed to be impressionistic and not literal. And we even know it's an impression of Miyamato's experiences wandering in fields and caves in Kyoto.

Look at Turn A man. The Japanese are more in tune with the artistic and meta implications of a """""timeline""""
>>15542781
But then you get into weird shit like how Medli was the namesake of the Rito's divine beast.

But if you think about it impossible things have literally always been happening and yet those super literal timeline fags just willfully ignore it. Like Beedle showing up in SS, WW and BoTW. And it just all goes back to the idea that they're all just legends.

>>15542773
I think the english dub is supposed to mean that Ganon has given up on taking a human form so he went pigshit. He's given up on reincarnating [into a human form] hence pig.
>>
>>15542800
>He's given up on reincarnating [into a human form] hence pig.
He had already given up on being human when you first fight him. If you take a picture of him it mentions he only looks like that because he rushed it out in order to fight you.
>>
>>15542755
>But jesus christ give those poor medieval motherfuckers real plumbing at least? It's kind of unbelievable as a fantasy world if it wasn't for the fact that people are so familiar with Zelda now.
BOTW Hyrule is hardly even medieval. Their fashion style resembles a mix of asian and eastern european 16th century fashion along with modern-day shit like one character wearing "short shorts"

Also, the dialogue and mannerisms resemble modern-day japanese people and culture, such as the Zora lady making a jingle to her store and that scientist dude doing rockstar poses
>>
>>15542689
Aonuma stated it takes place in the timeline where Ganon comes back several times, so Downfall era, seemingly thousands of years after Adventure of Link.
>>
>>15542828
You know how they went back to the original NES game for a lot of inspiration? It'd be fitting if it took place after that.

I'm honestly thinking that Impa's cutscene implied the 10,000 event years ago really was the NES game, and either the NES game didn't show what actually happened because it was so vague and bare bones they could retcon it without it really meaning much and be pretty meta and fitting thematically.
>>
>>15542843
>The Magical Sword was the Master Sword all along
>>
>>15542843
The whole 10,000 year legend sounded nothing like the plot of the first NES game, but then again, i doubt even aonuma and miyamoto even know when this game takes place in relation to the other games.
>>
>>15542493
Yes. It even has a post-credits scene in which several "frozen" humanoids seem to be emerging from Ganon's tail, but I doubt there's gonna be a sequel.
>>
>>15542852
The story of 10,000 could be after AoL.

But this is /m/, discuss why ninja cowboy scientists would make mechas
>>
>>15542861
>mfw Calamity Ganon is called "Shin Ganon" in the jap version
>>
>>15542800
I like how, like the Turn A, the Master Sword was given a different title because its original was forgotten. "The sword that seals the darkness" is so ambiguous that it can apply to every legendary sword in the series, as even the Four Sword has defeated and sealed away Ganon before.
>>
>>15542493

ITT: "I can't get a thread to start on /v/ so let me dump my shit on /m/ and try to shoe-horn in mecha somehow so I can get people to talk about a video game."
>>
>>15542877
Actually, in the Jap version he is just simply called Ganon. I have no idea why the english version decided to call him "Calamity" Ganon.
>>
>>15542889
cause he caused the great calamity
>>
File: file.png (603KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
603KB, 800x500px
>>15542881
Zelda doesn't know the sealing power she has is the Triforce either, or what it can do or even how to use it.

Are there anymore mecha series even if only vaguely related that give the same feeling of an ancient lost civilization with cool old robots in a time that lost technology?

Laputa is the only other thing I can think of outside Turn A, and I loved Turn A was so much and want more like it. BotW was great for that shit too.
>>
>>15542902
It was only called the great calamity in the english version. Jap version calls it "dai saigai" which could be translated as "disaster event"
>>
>>15542903
I don't know any more that give that distinct Ghibli-like feel to it, but FFX comes to mind for something similar.
>>
File: C7-fLV8VQAAbtxp.jpg large.jpg (128KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
C7-fLV8VQAAbtxp.jpg large.jpg
128KB, 1280x720px
>>15542905
>大災害 -> Big Disaster -> Great Calamity

Check your runes.

>>15542889

Nah, they do have a full analogous term they use in Japanese that being "Yakusai Ganon「厄災ガノン」", which can be directly translated as "Disaster Ganon". They just often shortened it to just Ganon in a lot of the cutscenes. But I'm pretty sure they did the same in English as well?
>>
>>15542493
>it's a nintendo fag has to talk about nintedo shit in every fucking board thread

there's a reason people thing you guys are faggots
>>
>>15542500
He's explicitly mechanical in most incarnations, not even a golem. Why wouldn't he be?
>>
>>15542599
>>15542671
>>15542664
looks like an aztec sword to me mixed with a chainsaw and a light saber
>>
>>15542689
People keep trying to fit it into the Zelda timeline, but I really don't see how it fits. This seems like some alternate reality where Sheikah people and their culture remained prominent, resulting in the absurdly advanced technology we see in the game.

Even Skyward Sword, which was presented as being the very first entry in he timeline, seems to act like the Sheikah are a thing of the past.
>>
>this shit stays and my berserk threads get removed
FUCK YALL HE HAS A METAL HAND DAMMIT
>>
Ganon reminds me a lot of Makuta from Bionicle in this.
But is it canonically Ganon at his weakest? You don't even need the master sword to beat him this time.
>>
>>15542948
Why didn't they just call it "Big Disaster" then and leave Ganon's name as "Disaster Ganon"? Wouldn't that be a more accurate translation?
>>
>>15542994
Either this one or the Ganon in LBW. That incarnation managed to get bodyjacked by Yuga without any resistance.
>>
>>15542988
Are you enjoying the lastest Idolmaster as well my friend?
>>
>>15543014
Because that would sound retarded. I can read moon and played a bunch of Zelda games and the jap games include weird shit that was excluded in english versions like Ganon being part of a "demon clan" or 魔族 and the Gorons saying "goro" after every sentence.
>>
>>15543025
Is the dialogue in the jap versions really that different from the english versions?
>>
>>15543031
>Is the dialogue in the jap versions really that different from the english versions?
Not really. Besides the whole demon clan shit, the only other difference would be Ganon is "killed and reincarnated" instead of just "sealed away and broke the seal"

And Deku scrubs are called deku nuts, like the actual nuts.
>>
>>15543035
Zoras also end all their sentences in "zora", except Mipha it seems.
>>
>>15542504
Major spoilers for the game:

The four dungeons of the game are giant mechanical animals built by the Sheikah that helped a Link and a Zelda completely fucking obliterate Ganon 10 000 years ago. 100 years before the events of the game, sensing Ganon's return, the royal family unearthed the Divine Beasts and the armies of automatic Guardians left dormant under the earth to try and use them against Ganon once more. Sadly, passing 10k years slowly regenerating under a pile of dead Guardians, Ganon had learned some l33t h4x0r sk1llz and was able to take control of the Beasts and the Guardians, turning the table and blowing the fuck out of basically everyone (even Link that was put in a regenerative cryosleep) before Zelda was able to stalemate him at Hyrule Castle using the entire power of the Triforce awakened in her by her love for Link. Link wakes up 100 years later and goes on a quest to free the Divine Beasts from Ganon's control and finally take him out. Freeing all four Beasts have them fire a giant laser at Ganon that basically halves the final boss fight
>>
>>15542994
Well, considering the fact he barely had time to wake up after his most complete and longest lasting defeat ever and then immediately got sealed within Hyrule Castle by Zelda who apparently kept him from regenerating fully before Link attacked, and then he got decimated by the DB's concentrated laser attack, I'd say that yes, this is canonically Ganon at his weakest, fact that is rendered all the more evident by his pathetic second form that not only doesn't do shit but also apparently taxed him of what little was left of his powers to the point where he just plain can't be reborn anymore, he's fucking done.

Breath of the Wild is the end of its timeline, with Ganon utterly and completely BTFO for ever and thus the cycle broken.
>>
>>15543124
Zelda said in the true end that he's not gone forever and they need to prepare for his eventual return.
>>
>>15543035
The English version also says he gives up on reincarnation entirely to kill Link and Zelda once an for all using a super final form while Japanese is just "he'll reincarnate so he doesn't care if he dies using this body".
>>
I don't get all the praise for the visuals.
Graphics and artstyle looks like a hot mess to me
>>
File: q.png (34KB, 129x129px) Image search: [Google]
q.png
34KB, 129x129px
>>15542600
I'd disagree with WW Link, that kid wasn't even the Chosen Hero, was just trying to save his sister (and later his qt pirate friend), and just happened to be the Wind Waker to boot; plus all those reaction faces
>>
>>15543156
No, she says in the true end that Link and her still have a lot to do to rebuild Hyrule, that Vah Ruta stopped working and that the Master Sword had gone quiet (signifying the end of the crisis).
>>
File: 1491652842077.png (3MB, 900x2200px) Image search: [Google]
1491652842077.png
3MB, 900x2200px
>>15543513
What? The visuals are absolutely fucking fantastic, the best of the series so far.
>>
>>15542493
technically, but you can't ride shit, so kinda eh - whatever.
Should've gone full xenoblade x with pilotable mechs and stuff
>>15543819
>found that beast(god?) of the mountain. rode it to nearby stable to see reactions of NPCs (like if you go with skeleton horse), near stable other NPC was attacked, as good person tried to save him, kinda failed and got knocked down.
and it fucking disappeared.
now to wait again when mountain lights up
fuck npcs.
>>
>>15542689
The way they talk about Ganon giving up on reincarnation and going full calamity mode seems more like it's at the end of one of the timelines.
>>
>>15542689
>No connection to the other games?
No, quite the contrary, there are references and connections to practically every other timelines.
>>
>>15542948
yakusai is calamity, just like ibo's yakusai sen is calamity war
>>
>>15543014
Big disaster sounds fucking dumb. It's something a child would say to his mom if he pooped his pants.
>>
>>15543851
>like if you go with skeleton horse
Really wanted to show it to that one girl but the cunt was inside before the sun came up
>>
>>15544184
>He thinks there's only one way to translate everything.
>>
>>15542903
Nadia.
>>
>>15542903
The first few years of Bionicle is all about Robots on an Island who live in a tribal society . As the series goes on it explores how they got their and how their God was actually A colossal space exploration Robot in which the characters functioned as 'cells' before the Devil figure in their mythology put him in a coma and he crash landed.

Its very well executed and far better than its origins as a toyline backstory would suggest.
>>
File: 7250b1eb77a9fc1a.jpg (439KB, 1000x989px) Image search: [Google]
7250b1eb77a9fc1a.jpg
439KB, 1000x989px
>>15542903
The Mysterious Cities of Gold.
>>
>>15542903
Future Boy Conan has a little of that.
>>
>>15543815
And right before that she says "Although Ganon is gone for now", meaning he isn't gone forever.

And she stated that she can't hear Fi's voice anymore, musing that it was a result of her losing her awakened divine power, which she was fine with. Link can still use the Master Sword as much as he wants, unlike most Zelda games where he gives it up at the end.
>>
File: tumblr_omcwtodrH11qec6kvo1_1280.jpg (1MB, 1164x1269px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_omcwtodrH11qec6kvo1_1280.jpg
1MB, 1164x1269px
>>15542889
>>
>>15542747
I'm scared to see how cute the next Link will be. Playing this already makes me feel funny.
>>
File: 1220702101885.jpg (109KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
1220702101885.jpg
109KB, 768x576px
>>15542903
>>15544293
Also, Giant Gorg kinda gives off that feel, since Gorg and some other mechs are ancient.
>>
>>15543815
>>15545190
Okay, with one of what I call Karakuri somehow shutting down, Link and Zelda's adventures are far from over. Didn't you see that the 2nd DLC is an original story? It might be the continuation from where the main story left off, so...
>>
>>15542654
Fuck you, I want to play the same game over and over again and never play anything new. I want to wake up in a village and have heavily railed journey as a I get directed to a dungeon, get an item to solve it and that you need to kill the boss with, get the macguffin from the boss, and repeat that until the end of the game while the tutorial/guide character tells me exactly what to do and where to go at every point. This BOTW shit is garbage.
>>
>>15542633

And that's good. The other 3D Zeldas are just OoT clones, the series needed that breath of fresh air.
>>
>>15550057

Oh look, a baby that didn't played the first Zelda.
It's too hard for you, little baby?
>>
>>15542633
It's something fresh. Which is bizarre coming from modern Nintendo of all companies.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.