[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nier Automata

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

File: maxresdefault.jpg (144KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
144KB, 1280x720px
I just cleared the E ending and don't get why people are making such a big deal over this. The gameplay isn't anything special compared to a lot of other stuff Platinum's made, and I didn't find the narrative to be particularly compelling either. I saw most of the plot twists coming from a mile away, and overall it felt like it was trying too hard to be edgy (cannibalism, cults, suicide, killing babies, but it's all fine because they're just robots!) the stuff about the enemies in the B route felt like a poor man's Soul Sacrifice (and I am NOT in any way saying that Soul Sacrifice was good).

Oddly enough, the aesthetics and themes are stuff that I usually love, so I'm feeling especially disappointed that it didn't click with me at all.

Am I missing something?
>>
>>15537346
Because Waifu robot.

No that's pretty much the only reason I got for a big stink being made over this either.

It's kind of like everyone raving over Horizon when it was genertic open world game #560 now with robot dinosaurs.

Yeah they're made games, sure, but they aren't amazing. I think it's just that there's been so much shit in the last two years where the only decent games coming out have been remasters, that any well made decent game just rises to the top now.
>>
>>15537346
Toobie's leotard is very high-cut, you see.
>>
>>15537380
I like A2 more.

>>15537364
I also hated Horizon, actually. I thought the gameplay was a little bit better than the usual generic open world game but the writing just put me off it entirely.
>>
It's shit
>>
>>15537346
You already played the game assuming you won't like it because it's popular so only plebes like it, and that colored all your impressions.

You go, rebel.
>>
>>15537346
The first game is better 2Bh
>>
>>15537538

retard
>>
>>15537659
Not an argument
>>
>>15537346
https://pastebin.com/sdXmZYXE

There's a pretty decent "essay" about the game.
Not saying that it's going to change your mind about the game though.
>>
>>15537766
w e w , l a d
e
w
>>
>>15537538
>>15537766
Very convincing arguments you have there.
>>
>>15537766
Wow this is some MAJOR autism.
>>
>>15537659
wow, you sure showed me
>>
>>15537815
I don't see the problem with it.
>>
>>15537346
>it felt like it was trying too hard to be edgy (cannibalism, cults, suicide, killing babies, but it's all fine because they're just robots!)

I'd recommend you check out the first game of the series Drakengard
>>
NieR Automata is neither a masterpiece nor is it in any form unique. It's as generic and forgettable as an action game can be and only slightly better than PG's TMNT game. The combat system is a massive step back from Bayonetta (which is already seven years old by now) and MGR. It feels more like a Musou game. The combo possibilities are very limited, the weapons more or less feel all the same and the boss battles are some of the most uncreative I have ever seen in the genre.
The story is pretty standard. Basically edgy girl and her sidekick fight against evil robots, but then it turns out that some of them aren't so bad. Something James Cameron would come up with. The game also loves to be melodramatic and wants you to feel sentiment for the robots you kill. Yeah, it's one of those games. Games can be emotional if done right, however, this game is not. Why would I feel sentiment for those who are trying to kill me? It's called self-defense. And why are they telling me they are scared while they attack me very aggressively? That's not the right thing to do when you are scared. You also don't get really attached to the characters. Edgy girl exists solely for fanservice reasons and her sidekick feels more like her property rather than an actual person.
There are a few twists in later playthroughs (though nothing actually surprising), but that brings us to the next point: why exactly am I forced to finish a game that is mediocre at best two times before the story even continues? This wouldn't be a problem if the game was actually fun, but the second playthrough is even worse because it consists to 90% of the same mini-game repeated forever.
>>
>>15537346
Okay, I'll try to give you a serious answer. Assuming this is a serious thread and not just trolling or being contrarian for the sake of it.

The game has good atmosphere, uses music extremely well, and is good at making you care for its characters. The gameplay itself is also good and fun atop of that.

People who act like it's so ~deep and profound~ are pretentious morons, but it's got some pretty good twists anyway. I'm not talking shit like humans being extinct or that machines have real emotions too. That is surface level, it doesn't even count as a spoiler. But tell me you saw 2B being actually 2E and having to kill Nines over and over on purpose coming and I'll call you a liar. It was a really good twist and changes impression of everything you saw in the game up to that point.

It's not a game that's supposed to be smart and intellectual, it's a game that's supposed to be emotional and evocative. If you're going to analyze its ~deep messages~ like the tvtropes morons, you are bound to be disappointed.

For the most part it wasn't that edgy either. Definitely least edgy of Taro titles. Sure some fucked up shit happens but it's treated as messed up and wrong and not just something that happens for shock value.
>>
>>15537855
what's the sauce on this copypasta?
>>
>>15537855
This game offers nothing new, ZERO INNOVATION, but yet it is being heralded as a Masterpiece in every aspect and detail it offers gamers in 2017.

The story telling is a yawn fest, the earth has been invaded by alien robots, but we managed in the middle of mass genocide to build a base on the moon and then build a space station that for some unknown reason the aliens just couldn't be bothered blowing up. There's a lesson in great story telling, not. This is a weak premise for a game, and the story doesn't get any better, it is an antiquated mess of ideas mixed in with some very typical Japanese inspired cliche characters that are lifeless.

I haven't come across a single element that this game offers that is new, or even an element that has been copied and improved on from another game. If this game is truly a masterpiece then the core element of the game, the combat, must be absolutely brilliant. Well, the combat in this game is lame, easy and requires no skill, none. I spent the entire game running around in circles, and holding the range attack button on my drone for every combat. This is the worst, most retarded lazy combat system I have ever played. Game of the year contender, give me a break. Japanese developers seem to consistently make the most lackluster, antiquated empty games.
>>
>>15537860
Metacritic
>>
This is almost the same thread from /v/ the other day.

>20 posts
>10 posters
Surely no samefagging going on. Sage /v/ threads
>>
>>15537875
samefagging retard pls go
>>
>>15537887
If you are who I think you are, I'd avoid playing into the shitflinging. It just adds fuel to the fire and you might get banned again. You'd be better off letting it go and seeking conversation in places better than /m/.
>>
Game is great, please leave your contrarian shitposting on /v/
>>
>>15537895
Cool story retard
>>
Eh its pretty cool

My problem with it is everyone is bandwagoning hard to talk about how depressing and deep it is

Niggers, its literally "Yoko Taro does a happy ending"

Drakenguard 1 and Nier were that uncut raw shit

Drakenguard 3 was ZANY but still had a cast of irredeemable assholes getting fucked over in ways that made you viscerally uncomfortable

2B, A2, and 9S are just merely "troubled" compared to Caim & Friends, Nier/Emil/Kaine, and the Intoner sisters

I hope he does back to unrestrained ball punching if he ever makes DoD4
>>
>>15537538
I'd heard good things and expected to like it since, like I said, the aesthetics and themes appealed to me. Platinum working on the action bits also helped.

>>15537766
Unfortunately this addresses nothing that I said. I found that the game did a terrible job of expressing its ideas and characters.

>>15537824
I did play it, though the last time was pretty long ago. I feel like it did a better job since it matched the feel of the world better there.
>>
File: 1487623767725.jpg (45KB, 401x401px) Image search: [Google]
1487623767725.jpg
45KB, 401x401px
post 2B you morons
>>
>>15537914
>Niggers, its literally "Yoko Taro does a happy ending"
Yeah but the road there is basically classic Taro. Hell, even ending E isn't a "happy ending", it's just not a soul crushing ending we're used to from him.

I'd argue that endings A and B were happy endings, but we know Taro was just pulling our leg with those.
>>
>>15537914
>Drakenguard 3 was ZANY but still had a cast of irredeemable assholes
t-they were not THAT bad, right?
>>
>>15537902
>>15537895
>>15537875
>>15537816
>>15537761
>>15537538
samefag
>>
>>15537935
A2 > 2B

This is a fact
>>
>>15537858
>The game has good atmosphere, uses music extremely well, and is good at making you care for its characters. The gameplay itself is also good and fun atop of that.
A2 doesn't get enough screentime to be established before showing up in the third part and when she becomes a main character she still barely contribute, and 9S was pretty shallow.

That twist you spoilered did help to give 2B some depth but she still didn't have much of a personality up until the very end of the first part and she immediately dies after that. And ultimately it didn't have much of an impact on the story at all, like a lot of things.

>it's treated as messed up and wrong and not just something that happens for shock value.

Eh, I felt like stuff like the children from Pascal's village was nothing BUT just for shock value.

The vast majority of reviews I'd seen went on and on about how unique and compelling the narrative is without actually going into details because hurrr spoilers and that's what's puzzling me the most.
>>
File: retard.png (11KB, 438x314px) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
11KB, 438x314px
>>15537939
Go back to /v/ already
>>
>>15537858
>>15537944
But yeah, the machines having emotions and humans and aliens being dead are things that are obvious as fuck and I was surprised that they dragged the dead humans out for so long and treated it like a surprise. A lot of reviews went on about all the surprising twists and that puzzled me too because I honestly can't think of any that'd be big enough to be worthy of mention.

Also I'd like to add that the entire second playthrough with 9S is horrendous.

>it's a game that's supposed to be emotional and evocative.

The problem I have is that none of the characters felt compelling enough to care about, and by the time you I got to the third playthrough I straight up stopped caring because it felt obvious that everyone was going to die. The E ending felt more like a cop-out than anything, and I still feel like the story doesn't have a proper resolution.

I guess people like >>15537766 would say that that's the point but it's still shitty storytelling.
>>
>>15537945
Retard
>>
>Niercucks up in arms when people don't like their shit game
>>
>>15537958
>/v/tards shitposting a game because muh weeaboos
>>
>>15537951
Also I saw a lot of people going about how original it is that the game changes with each playthrough and that's sheer nonsense. It's clearly just a fucking chapter system under a different name. Hell, when you unlock the chapter select at the end it shows you this.

Plus there are plenty of games that actually DO have things change significantly and let you go down entirely different routes in subsequent playthroughs, which gives me the impression that the people praising this aspect are just ignorant.
>>
>>15537942
This I can agree with.
>>
>>15537964
>wahhhhhh anyone who dont have my shit taste is a shitposter
no anon you are the shitposter
>>
>>15537975
And I'm not saying that it's a bad game. I'm just saying that I didn't find it to be anything special, which is completely contrary to what I'd heard about it before playing it and what I saw in reviews after.

It feels like it has a lot of good ideas that are just utterly squandered.
>>
>>15537944
>A2 doesn't get enough screentime to be established before showing up in the third part
That's true but this is why the stage play exists, and it was shown before the game's release so I guess Taro assumed everyone saw it (or watched on youtube) before playing the game.

>when she becomes a main character she still barely contribute
Causing N2 and as a result the whole machine collective to splinter is a pretty important contribution. Not to mention, she's the one who interacted with Pod 42 most, allowing ending E to happen.

>9S was pretty shallow.
Sorry? His character and motivations are given more screentime than either 2B's or A2's, if anything he's the one with most depth. And I'm not one of those Nines fans, I actually like him least from the playable characters.

That's even before you get into stuff like his actions and steadily deteriorating mental state in route D being a result of Adam and Eve imprinting their personalities on him, which was actually hinted at in-game but it was subtle enough they felt the need to clarify it in side materials.

>but she still didn't have much of a personality up until the very end of the first part
Her personality shows indirectly through stuff like weapon descriptions or the way how she says certain things instead of what she's saying.

Unfortunately the EN voice actor totally failed with the latter, which means instead of a cute socially awkward kuudere 2B is a no fun allowed bitch. Play with JP voices instead.

>Eh, I felt like stuff like the children from Pascal's village was nothing BUT just for shock value.
That was probably the edgiest moment in the game but nothing else comes close to it. It's also a reference to RL Pascal's beliefs and teachings.
>>
cont from >>15537993
>The vast majority of reviews I'd seen went on and on about how unique and compelling the narrative is
Welcome to western animu/vidja fandom, where everything has to be deep and profound and a ~deconstruction~ or else it's shit. They can't accept things for what they are, gotta act like everything is unique and never done before. Just like how people praised Madoka a few years back (and Madoka is a good show, but if you'd hear the reviewers you'd think it's the second coming of Christ that totally WRECKS the magical girl genre and all storytelling conventions in general), and Evangelion way before that.
>>
>>15537975
>I'm not a shitposter
>opens his post with "Niercucks"
Sure thing /v/
>>
>>15537942
Atoo is a dirty hobo, Toobie best.
A2 still pretty great though
>>
>>15537993
>That's true but this is why the stage play exists, and it was shown before the game's release so I guess Taro assumed everyone saw it (or watched on youtube) before playing the game.
I have no idea what this is.

>spoiler
The story is too disjointed and fails to make it feel like any of that mattered. And ending E is more of a cop-out than anything. I won't go so far as to say that it came out of nowhere since the pods did foreshadow it, but it still feels tacked on, more like a compromise than a resolution.

>9S
I don't know, I felt that he didn't have much to him aside from being a clingy fanboy who becomes a creepy clingy fanboy. He's somewhat likeable but it's not really much of a personality.

>That was probably the edgiest moment in the game but nothing else comes close to it.

Cult mass suicide and baby murder?

>>15538005
I just don't understand the reason for that at all, though. Madoka does go against genre staples so those arguments did have a tiny bit weight to them, even if they were stupidly exaggerated.
>>
Why do people say the gameplay is good when it's shit compared to Bayonetta and Revengeance??
>>
>>15538024
Because it is good
I know, it is a shocker, but people can actually like things
>>
>>15538031
It's not tho it's shallow and boring and repeatitive.
>>
>>15538020
>9S personality
He's obsessively curious but at the same time racist against machines, which is ironic if you go with D ending. In his relationship with 2B he clings to her even though he on some level knows what it's her mission to kill him, and he hates her for it. When Adam asked him if he wants to **** 2B, he actually meant kill, not fuck. And he was right. But at the same time 2B is the only friend/possibly lover Nines has so the relationship has both of them pretending nothing is wrong and trying to have good times together while also knowing how fucked up their situation is.

>I just don't understand the reason for that at all, though.
I can only guess.

I suspect this is because a lot of nerds are grown up now but still feel the need to prove how mature and profound things they like are, like they're still in high school and the jocks are laughing at them for bringing DnD to class.

So you can't like a thing because it's fun, you need to like it because it's a deconstruction for mature adults with adult tastes such as myself.
>>
>>15538059
Oh yeah, and TVTropes.
Always blame TVTropes.
>>
>>15538020
The only thing N:A has going for it is waifushit and I say it as someone who has been following the director's works since Drakengard 1. The characters are insultingly shallow and derivative (2B and 9S are just shitty rip-offs of Lightning and Hope from FFXIII, who weren't great characters to begin with), the gameplay isn't given time to breathe because of all the crappy gimmicks and artificial limits the game forces on you, the story is disjointed garbage, and the drama is so artificial and obviously manipulative it's nauseating. The factory section in the first route was the only time where the game got somewhat good, but then it was over and it didn't even matter.
>>
>>15538089
>I didn't play the game: the post
>>
>>15537895
no i'm not your gay fuckbuddy kill yourself retard
>>
>>15538035
Please provide examples then
>>
File: dumb useless A2.jpg (143KB, 1200x911px) Image search: [Google]
dumb useless A2.jpg
143KB, 1200x911px
>>15538017
>>
>>15538112
>how dare you insult muh waifu
Got a platinum trophy, even. One of the easiest RPG Platinums around.
>>
The Pods little non humanoid robots save the day anyone that dislikes the game after that doesn't belong on /m/.
>>
>>15537380
>camel toe

thank you robot jesus
>>
>>15538035
So is MGR compared to Bayonetta
MGR is decent, but its gameplay depth is on the lower end of the stylish action "genre," it's barely a step above DMC1. Muh Rules of Nature does not change this.
>>
>Automata
>edgy
You should try Drakengard
>>
What did A2 really even accomplish in the end?
>>
>>15537384
I haven't played it much beyond trying it at a friends. So I can't speak to story ( he has pretty lax standards and cares more about gameplay which is fine) but the gameplay was solid. Didn't strike me as anything groundbreaking while I was running around , felt a bit derivative but fuck what doesn't not that being derivative is bad in and of it's self. It was solid as far as that was concerned, plus the robots were neat.

>>15537590
>2Bh

Cheeky cunt.
>>
I'm sure it's a good game, but hearing all my friends hype it up as the best shit ever is fucking grating.
>>
>>15538823
That happens every time normies get a hold of something that does things a bit differently and does it well, see JoJo post-anime.
>>
File: image.jpg (162KB, 1200x675px)
image.jpg
162KB, 1200x675px
I've never played it but this game gave us Kat's best outfit so there's that. I wish more people talked about the Gravity Daze franchise. The characters are lovely and I want someone to translate all the weird lore but I have no idea how to figure out the hieroglyphs.
>>
>>15538990
I'm still waiting for 2 to drop in price
>>
>>15538338
MGR uses its gimmicks way better than N:A does and is far more fun.
>>
>>15539199
It doesn't even have any gimmicks other than on demand time slow, which is only useful for zandatsu regardless. And zandatsu shouldn't even be in the game; it's part of the reason why MGR's scoring system is so fucked
>>
>>15539220
But it's fun and that's what matters. N:A is just tedious and playing as 9S is just retarded.
>>
File: 1488724762554.webm (3MB, 452x380px) Image search: [Google]
1488724762554.webm
3MB, 452x380px
>>15537346
>don't get why people are making such a big deal over this
>>
>>15539311
Pig disgusting, A2 is better.
>>
>>15539519
They have the same butt
>>
>>15539311
Why do her wrists keep flashing?
>>
>>15539580
A2's is still better
>>
>>15539519
A2 doesn't have a high-cut leotard, ergo she's worse
>>
>>15537864
>aliens just couldn't be bothered blowing up.
You didn't even get ending A.
>>
>>15539785
Wrong
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.