[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Orville

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: 189467546189.jpg (57KB, 700x340px) Image search: [Google]
189467546189.jpg
57KB, 700x340px
It's like a Galaxy Quest with Seth Macfarlane because Fox has doesn't know how to say "No" to Seth Macfarlane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0

I am not ashamed to say that I will be watching the entire first and only season.
>>
>Seth MacFarlane
>Jon Favreau
It could be the american Red Dwarf or it could be utter normie shit.
>>
>>15535317
>thinking it will last a season

This show reeks of something that's going to get canceled four episodes in on a massive cliffhanger.
>>
File: 62379737.jpg (54KB, 430x627px) Image search: [Google]
62379737.jpg
54KB, 430x627px
>>15535317
>Star Trek plus Death McFartlame
End me
>>
>>15535339
American TV networks have adopted a habit of loading up the unaired episodes on to the world wide web when a show does so bad that they can't afford to have take up the time slot.

Fox has ordered 13 episodes. If that's all there will ever be, then it's a season and series. If they order more, then it will be a mid-season break while production will work on another batch of episodes which would complete the first season.
>>
>>15535335
>American Red Dwarf
Technically we already got one (it's French-Canadian, but still).
>>
>>15535368
>the time slot
Speaking of time, apparently these are going to be hour-long episodes which is a nice nod but also makes me worry a little.
>>
>>15535317
THIS IS CASSIDY YATES' THINKING POSE
>>
>>15535371
I meant Red Dwarf as in an irreverent sci-fi show, but an american adaptation with hot chicks would have been good too.
>>
>>15535470
>american adaptation
>Red Dwarf
>good
lolno there's hard science proving that to be an impossibility
>>
>two treks and an x-files
Maybe 2017 won't be so bad after all.
>>
>>15535317

NO!

FUCK YOU! YOU DO NOT USE THAT ASSHOLES NAME WHEN TALKING ABOUT THAT WONDERFUL MOVIE!

SHAME ON YOU!
>>
It's going to be utter shit unless MacFarlane is kept from writing.

American Dad is his only watchable show and it is a 3/5 at best.
>>
>>15535317
>three black people in cast
Already fucked up.
>>
>>15535317
>It's like a Galaxy Quest
You have peaked my interest
>with Seth Macfarlane
You have lost my interest.
>>
>>15535484
>heh... bloody stupid americans *tips tea cup*
>>
>>15535317
>Fox has doesn't know how to say "No" to Seth Macfarlane

You can blame the fanbase for reviving his exclusively referential humor-based "comedy" series.
>>
>>15535629
Actually I'm a leaf but the chicks looked hot in that one american Red Dwarf remake, so I wrote that comment with my dick.
>>
File: what stupid you say.jpg (33KB, 624x480px) Image search: [Google]
what stupid you say.jpg
33KB, 624x480px
>>15535317
Dear God, that's the some shitty lowest-common-denominator comedy.

And it's just riffing on Star Trek so hard it might just be, dare I say it - a ripoff.
>>
File: Sh6Wxx4[1].gif (983KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
Sh6Wxx4[1].gif
983KB, 500x275px
>>15535317

Wait, is Seth MacFarlane still trying to push himself as a comedian and actor? Didn't he learn his lesson from A mIllion ways to die in the Wst?
>>
>>15535847
The man is a narcissist and an idiot. He is entirely unwilling to admit anything he had ever done was flawed in any way.
>>
>>15535335
>those tired "marriage counseling" and "toilet seat" gags
Some of the jokes are decent, though, and I like the look of it.
>>
>>15535847
MacFarlane should give up the whole comedy thing and do voice acting full time, he was pretty good in Hellboy 2.
>>
>>15535682
Wasn't one of them Jadzia Dax?
>>
>>15535317

Not impressed with the trailer.

This doesn't feel like it has any heart in the writing at all even thought the visuals look good.
>>
>>15536128
Might have been, but I do like the idea of an american take on Red Dwarf, I don't maybe like friends in space or something but I will admit it's a terrible idea.
>>
>>15536165
It's sad because the premise of "you're not our first choice for captain, but sometimes we just need an ass in a chair" is pretty funny.

The "first officer is his ex" thing is so lame though that my eyes threaten to roll out of my skull.
>>
>>15536208
>It's sad because the premise of "you're not our first choice for captain, but sometimes we just need an ass in a chair" is pretty funny.

it's also tired as fuck. Every humorous Trek or Sci Fi parody has done the z-string hero before, fuck not even just sci fi.
>>
>>15535317
The jokes in the trailer suck. Barely giggleworthy, mostly just flat.
...which is a shame, because >>15536165 is spot on -- it's definitely good looking. Excellent visuals.

Now I need to watch Galaxy Quest again to get the taste of this out of my mouth.

>>15535830
I'm fine with it being a total ripoff.
I just want it to not be shit.
>>
>>15536208
This x10000. I kind of lost all what little hope I had for this right then and there.
>>
>>15536208
>The "first officer is his ex" thing is so lame though that my eyes threaten to roll out of my skull.

Felt the same way. Seems like the humor in the trailer just got way worse after her introduction too.
>>
You know why Galaxy Quest worked as a parody?

IT WASN'T A FUCKING PARODY!
>>
I remember Seth went onto a talk show between those Ted movies and said something similar to "Haven't we had enough Family Guy?" and was booed. Kinda' sad seeing him want to do something else and getting a captive studio audience tells no.
>>
>>15536290
What.... makes you think that?
>>
I'm calling this show McFarTrek forevermore and no one can stop me
>>
>>15536290
Maybe Tim Allen can start that up again now that Jews at ABC killed his show.
>>
>>15536550
>What.... makes you think that?

The plot was played completely straight
They didn't make fun of the fans
They told jokes that didn't rely on references
They had actual character arcs
They had actual drama
They made a movie that could stand on it's own

It was closer to a love letter than a parody but the key point was IT STANDS ON ITS OWN
>>
>>15537256
That's not a rare thing for parodies. By the way, you have no idea whether or not Orville is going to do those things.
>>
>>15535847
>Didn't he learn his lesson from A mIllion ways to die in the Wst?

It didn't go south fast enough.
>>
>>15537256
>They didn't make fun of the fans

No they totally did that. They just gave them a bit of pathos and dignity along with the ribbing, Justin Long of all fucking people is the one who saves the day by telling them how to time travel.
>>
I'm impressed by the practical effects, suprised they sprung for those decent looking aliens, better looking than a lot of the later trek aliens.
>>
>>15537256
You seem to assume that only shitty unfunny "lol reference XD" parodies can be parodies.
>>
Do these idiots know that Galaxy Quest worked well because it was a movie?

The whole "affectionate parody" thing can work and work really well as a 90 minute piece of content.

Even if the parody is unblemished and the humor laser focused on point this sort of concept can't sustain a whole goddamn multi-episode series

>Seth Mcfarlane

And the parody will be very blemished and the humor poorly focused here anyway
>>
>>15535847
>>15535954
>>15536100
>>15537514
Except he's fantastically successful by selling garbage to normies like Family Guy.

He could literally film himself taking a shit and they'd publish it simply because he has the moeny to push it.
>>
The Orville is specifically called a comedy-drama. Yes, there's comedy. But the character setup already shows that it's going to try and have a story. In between the jokes, there's going to be an actual series. This is going to be Seth McFarlane starring in his very own Star Trek. He's a massive Trek fanboy, this is probably his dream project that he's always wanted to do. Will it be good? I don't know.

But I'm reserving judgment, because in my experience trailers have never been a good indicator for basically anything. I've seen plenty of bad trailers for comedies that turned out to be great. The problem with comedy trailers is that they just rapid fire jokes without context or buildup, essentially just trying to hammer it into everyone's head that it's supposed to be funny. The trailer for Galaxy Quest was pretty unfunny, but look at how good that ended up being. So I would say just try to give it a chance, you might be surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzCx8bMMTOM
>>
>>15535847
I'm ashamed to say it but I enjoyed A Million Ways To Die In The West.
>>
>>15535847
I think he can be ok as an affable douchebag character. Hopefully he gets some decent nerds to write it and the supporting cast is engaging.
>>
>>15537954
>The Orville is specifically called a comedy-drama.

Comedy makes it a safer bet by attracting an audience who would normally not be interested in sci-fi that's not already an established mega-franchise. Drama is usually just romantic tension in this context, and gives something for girlfriends and wives to enjoy about the stupid sci-fi show their nerd boyfriends and husbands make them watch.

McFarland creates shows based on tried and true formulas for appealing broadly to the lowest common denominator. This show will be a sitcom with a thin veneer of sci-fi that serves mostly as a vehicle for McFarland to crack wise and act self righteous. It will have some genuinely funny moments, but will largely be forgettable, and the longer it goes on the more insufferable it will become, until people are watching it out of nothing but boredom and habit. That is if it doesn't do so poorly that the network yanks it off the air and abandons it to on-demand.
>>
>>15535371
https://youtu.be/FX0qnwDFXU0
>>
>>15538176
Wow, I'm sure glad we have time travelers ITT
>>
>>15538176
I doubt it'll be able to go on for very long, even if it is good. MacFarlane's cartoons run forever because they're cheap as hell to produce. Sci-fi comedies typically die very quickly because they are not.
>>
File: 975281289204.jpg (177KB, 792x495px) Image search: [Google]
975281289204.jpg
177KB, 792x495px
>>15537976
I liked it, too. But I'm a long-time Charlizefag and honestly believe that NPH is extremely talented.
>>
I hate the design of the ship, but I will watch the show because McFarlane is a pretty big Trek fan and he will have a lot of Trek and sci-fi tropes in there to play with.
>>
>>15539193
>he will have a lot of Trek and sci-fi tropes

The show will be made entirely out of tropes.

It will be the most generic shit you have ever seen.

It will not be fun.
>>
>>15535317
And it still looks better than STD.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.