[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the oldest /m/-related work you've watched and enjoyed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 11

File: Tetsujin28.jpg (46KB, 397x468px) Image search: [Google]
Tetsujin28.jpg
46KB, 397x468px
What is the oldest /m/-related work you've watched and enjoyed? Do you believe there's a cutoff point where something's age simply disqualifies it from being good any longer? I'll include toku in this question as well.
>>
>>15531709
>What is the oldest /m/-related work you've watched and enjoyed?
Toei Getter, currently watching and really having fun with it. As a kid I read Phoenix and I think Metropolis and I enjoyed them although the subjects went a bit over my head at the time.

>Do you believe there's a cutoff point where something's age simply disqualifies it from being good any longer? I'll include toku in this question as well.
No, the merits of writing and execution should never be discounted and neat tricks in animation/sfx should always be appreciated for what they accomplished during their time periods.
>>
>>15531709
>Do you believe there's a cutoff point where something's age simply disqualifies it from being good any longer?
No. Such a thing does not exist. Even the oldest surviving story, The Epic of Gilgamesh, is still fucking great. People who cannot enjoy older things or something outside of their culture are just being narrow minded and are stuck in one mode of aesthetics.
>>
>>15531734
>These people like things made after an arbitrary date I chose, that means they are shitty people, and all of them hate my beloved old shit!

Shut up, Grandpa. This is half the reason people mock old stuff, because it gets a rise out of geezers who don't understand they are being baited. Old and modern media are obviously different and will draw in people for different reasons.
>>
>>15531742
Come on, getting better with your trolling. I never even mentioned non-old things. Stop sucking cocks, get off the HRT and use your noggin, millennial.
>>
>>15531709
>watched and enjoyed
1963 Tetsuwan Atom.
'63 Tetsujin, on the other hand, was really bad.
>>
toei getter
>>
>>15531709
An episode of Tetsujin, and no.
>>
The many eps of 1966 Osomatsu-kun that include robot versions of characters were all great.
>>
>>15531709
Toei Mazinger Z. I think it's the oldest /m/ TV series with complete subs toku isn't /m/

If there is a cutoff point, it's a forward one and not a backward one. We sure have been starved for 10/10 masterpieces lately and it's only going to get worse, I think
>>
All of Toeizinger, and I loved it.

I think in the case of older shows, not everyone can jump right into them. When I was getting into mecha I worked my way down with the Gainax stuff (Gurren Lagann -> EVA -> Gunbuster) then watched Gundam, and right now I'm at Toeizinger as my oldest.

As long as the interest is there, you will find enjoyment in the classics. In many cases, you'll WANT to watch older stuff as your quest for knowledge grows.
>>
>>15531746
>millennial
Are you in your 50s or something? Or you're just stupid and think millenials are people born in the 00s?
>>
>>15532617
>>15532630
Thirding, it's really great.I'm also really glad more people are watching it, because it's terrific stuff.

There is absolutely no cutoff point of any kind for older media being enjoyable.
>>
>>15531709
Kamen Rider or original Godzilla, if it counts for toku and Mazinger Z for anime.
> Do you believe there's a cutoff point where something's age simply disqualifies it from being good any longer?
There is no such thing. Good things are eternal.
>>
>>15532817
Maybe he's joking and you're just an idiot
>>
>>15531709
>What is the oldest /m/-related work you've watched and enjoyed?
Mazinger Z. Wanted to watch the 60's Tetsujin or toku Giant Robo but neither having subs is kind of a turnoff.
>>
>>15533258
The Gigantor dub doesn't really do much to harm the integrity of the work or anything because the plots are so simple to begin with, but I understand if you can't handle how god awful they are.
>>
>>15533350
>The Gigantor dub doesn't really do much to harm the integrity of the work or anything
How do you know? Have you watched the original?
>>
>>15531709
Metropolis? HG Wells' stuff? Verne? There's no limit to how far back you can go.
>>
>>15533473
I don't know that you can get older than the Bronze Man of Talos
>>
File: Time-Bokan-24-image-009.png (256KB, 610x352px) Image search: [Google]
Time-Bokan-24-image-009.png
256KB, 610x352px
>>15533526
>Not learning the True History
>>
File: tetsujin 28 original.jpg (14KB, 283x261px) Image search: [Google]
tetsujin 28 original.jpg
14KB, 283x261px
>>15531709

>Tetsujin-28

My nigga.

>Do you believe there's a cutoff point where something's age simply disqualifies it from being good any longer?

No, I don't believe so. Things change over the years, but classics that are retold time and time again are usually great stories.
>>
File: tetsujin_28-go_2004_1428.jpg (37KB, 300x254px) Image search: [Google]
tetsujin_28-go_2004_1428.jpg
37KB, 300x254px
On the topic of old anime, what's /m/'s consensus on the 2004 adaptation of Tetsujin-28?

Personally it had its flaws as a series, especially during the final story arc. But its become a personal favorite of mine, since it accurately covers the 1950's era of Japan and the troubles that went on in it. Character wise, everyone is pretty well written as believable people.
>>
>>15533594
It's easily Imagawa's best work even if I prefer Shin Mazinger

There aren't many anime that make me feel something, but Tetsujin managed it. Amazing soundtrack as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4d_dr_ZM6Y
>>
File: that heart feel.gif (428KB, 674x575px) Image search: [Google]
that heart feel.gif
428KB, 674x575px
>>15533674

>Shotaro Alone
>Tetsujin's True Colors
>>
>>15533594

It's great. Better paced and more emotional than Giant Robo was in my opinion. It's also an excellent period piece. I can't recommend it highly enough, even people who aren't Imagawa fans will probably get something out of it.
>>
Is /m/ seriously in the midst of some kind of culture war where underage shitheads are trying desperately to portray anything older as being objectively bad? What brought this on?
>>
>>15533819
Probably just some newfag that hasn't yet figured out that you need to be in a different frame of mind to watch something older. Try showing Combattler V to your average /a/ poster and he'll call it trash and accuse you of only liking it because you apparently get hipster cred for liking old stuff.

It took me a long time to realize that there's more to TV shows than wild and crazy plots, DEEP characters and for anime in particular, sterile, plasticine art. Some people never realize this. I blame TvTropes.
>>
File: Untitled.png (52KB, 202x208px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
52KB, 202x208px
>>15533819

take a wild guess
>>
>>15533819
No but there's some persistent trolls like this guy >>15533869
who was trying this shit with Godzilla a few months ago and is now doing it with kamen rider.
>>
File: 8115q4II+jL._AA1261_.jpg (283KB, 1261x1261px) Image search: [Google]
8115q4II+jL._AA1261_.jpg
283KB, 1261x1261px
Oldest /m/ thing I watched was the first Cutie Honey anime. It's better than any of the newer installments, if anything the age helps it.
Oldest thing I watched with more proper giant robots was Uchuu Enban Daisensou, by the way. I do plan on watching Toei Mazinger at some point.
>>
File: image014.jpg (47KB, 482x397px) Image search: [Google]
image014.jpg
47KB, 482x397px
>>15531709
About 2500 years or so.
>>
>>15533377
Plus the dub only covers like some 60 odd episodes out of almost 100.
>>
>>15535166
>tfw Nanto and SHS only did one episode out of the final arc
At this rate I don't think the original will even be seen with subs until at least 20 years.
>>
I'm currently watching the original Ultraman, it's pretty... weird. Good, but weird.
>>
>>15535496
How far are you in? The episodes directed by Akio Jissoji are much crazier than the rest.
>>
>>15535460
There's 2 other episodes subbed. Although, their English based on their blog posts is really shitty.
>>
>>15533594
Absolutely adore it. Even though I loved G-Gundam, Giant Robo and Shin Mazinger, I still wasn't expecting it to like it so much.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.