[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Raideen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: 1492600457138.jpg (42KB, 402x334px) Image search: [Google]
1492600457138.jpg
42KB, 402x334px
How is Brave Raideen, I know it inspired parts of RahXeephon and Tomino directed the first half of the show.
I'm guessing it must be pretty bad or something if no one has bothered to full sub the show?
>>
You should have asked for a quick rundown anon
>>
>>15521242
starseeker puts out an episode every few months. She really doesn't like it and stopped subbing it for several years because she got hung up on an incredibly retarded episode she didn't want to bother with
>>
>>15521283
It was more I hated that one episode. Just juggling around other subbing commitments and real life. Most of the show is fairly generic but it does have its moments.
Also people complain less about the delays than on other shows
>>
>>15521242
If you've seen any of Mazinger Z, and any of Combattler V, then imagine a show that has the average qualities of both and you have Raideen.

I don't just mean the robot design, either. Mazinger Z was mostly a kids show, but it could go some really dark places at times, and the humor was occasionally really mean spirited. Combattler V, on the other hand, was more upbeat, but also had some more tragic romantic elements.

Raideen tries to be both things, to it's detriment. It's less fun than Combattler V, it's less darkly humorous than Mazinger Z. It doesn't know what it wants to be.

Besides that, it's incredibly exposition heavy. It's almost more like a radio show than a television show, with how much everybody talks. The animation quality is quite poor.

Now, I've only seen the first eight episodes so far, so it may very well find it's footing later on, and the show does have it's moment. Masato Shimon sings whenever Raideen beats up a robot, and that's it excellent. The pretty boy bad guy disguises himself as a human and beat's the hero up with a soccer ball. Fat Guy Best Friend tries so hard not to be a useless sack of shit, and I feel for the poor bastard. Masato Shimon sings a different song while the hero drives his rocket motorcycle across the sunset and it is also excellent. There's a racoon.

All in all, the show is exactly what you'd expect it to be--a half way point between better shows--only the music is great. God, Masato Shimon is amazing.
>>
>>15521242
It's one of the best, it has good music, lots of giant monster fights, monsters of the week, nobody is annoying, the pacing is fast, and Barao is the second best villain in anime history of Emperor Zule from God Mars.
>>
>>15522236
It seems very much like the result of the two directors dipping their toes into mecha anime shows, so they didn't feel that comfortable doing it for the most part (although Nagahama was the senior director with more experience at the time).
>>
>>15522247
That doesn't bode well since Zule is incredibly stupid, just like the rest of the show

>Decide to blow up Earth
>The plan for doing this involves sending a baby to Earth in a giant robot implanted with a planet destroying bomb and waiting for him to grow up and join you to activate it
>Just detonating the bomb remotely makes far too much sense, therefore, it's out
>So is the consideration that the boy won't use the same giant robot he was sent in to kill you, logic doesn't apply in cartoons!
>>
>>15522285
Evil =/= logical
>>
>>15522285
Zule was testing Mars to see if he'd be a worthy successor. He didn't care about Earth at all.
>>
File: Raideen showing up in Z-Mind.png (328KB, 640x471px) Image search: [Google]
Raideen showing up in Z-Mind.png
328KB, 640x471px
>>15521242
>I'm guessing it must be pretty bad or something if no one has bothered to full sub the show?

No one's bothered to sub Baldios but I've heard nothing but praise for it. Iron Leaguer took until last year to be subbed and it's awesome. No one subs plenty of series.

Meanwhile Japan fucking loves Raideen - or at least, they used to? References to it show up all the goddamn time, look at Evangelion and this for examples - so I dunno.
>>
>>15522419

Don't mistake anime in-jokes and obscure references as a sign that those references are widely known and / or loved.
>>
>>15521242
>How is Brave Raideen

There are a whole lot of better mecha anime shows even if you limit yourself to the 1970s era. You'd have to be pretty desperate to watch Reideen. It is not one of Tomino's best efforts, it isn't even of this mediocre efforts. It's kind of bottom of barrel, think Zambot 3 but 20 times worse.
>>
One thing I will say in Raideen's favor is that it's clear that the voice actors are having a blast on the show. Damn near every character is incredibly hammy, and it can be very charming at times.
>>
>>15522467
>think Zambot 3 but 20 times worse
How does that work, I thought Zambot was mostly bad, but had a decent number of really interesting takes.
Is it just bad without any bringing any new ideas to the table?
>>
>>15522539
Nah, it's fine. That's just one of the three or so anons who has a strong dislike of Zambot.
>>
>>15522539
I unironically believe that Zambot 3 is the best mecha show made in the 70s, at least of those that have been subbed to completion. And I've watched every 70s show that has been subbed to completion except Grendizer and the second half of Daltanious.
>>
>>15522460
Assemble Insert had Raideen and Gotengo (with Manda) as gold statues robbed by Black Satan/Mr. Titan wannabes
>>
>>15522612
>the second half of Daltanious.

While not as good as Zambot 3 (or Gundam for that matter), Daltanius is pretty damn good for a 70s show and it gets better in the second half (a lot more long running plots, a lot less filler, and the new attacks it gets when it upgrades are pretty cool.)
>>
>>15521242
>How is Brave Raideen
It's okay. It's not great, it's not terrible, it's just... okay. Middle of the road. Raideen's a cool robot though.
>>
>>15522753
I will never not be amused by the fact that it's the only Nagahama show to be fansubbed from start to end. The rest either has dubtitles (Combattler, Voltes) or alternatives (Daimos).
>>
>>15522612
70s Super Robot series ranking
1. Voltes V
2. Daimos
3. Zambot 3
4. Daitarn 3
5. Daltanius
6. Grendizer
7. Getter Robo/Getter Robo G
8. Brave Raideen
9. Great Mazinger
10. Mazinger Z
11. Combattler V
12. Steel Jeeg
>>
>>15522770
luurah's subs are dubtitles with translation checking

He used the Italian dub for Daltanious IIRC
>>
>>15522775
I have to disagree....

1. Steel Jeeg
2. Mazinger Z
3. Raideen
4. Getter Robo G
5. Combattler V
6. Daimos
7. Grendizer
8. Getter Robo
9. Great Mazinger
10. Daitarn 3
11. Gundam 0079
12. Voltes V
13. Zambot 3
14. Baldios (because nothing else came out in 1980)
15. Daltanious

And I like them all
>>
>>15522825
Weren't God Sigma and Golion also 1980? The super robot train just stops late 1981 or so due to Gundam films setting off the real boom.
>>
>>15522775
>>15522825
Speaking of Jeeg, I wonder if Changeman acknowledged that he should move his releases on to Anidex.

>>15522822
Right, forgot that.
>>
>>15522838
There we fewer super robots in the early 80s, but they never really went away. We had the J9 series, Dancouga, Transformers, Go-Lion, 80s Tetsujin and so on
>>
>>15522847
There weren't even that many less desu
>>
>>15522825
>(because nothing else came out in 1980)

I wouldn't call Trider G7, Ideon, God Sigma, and 80s Tetsujin "nothing".

There was a Mighty Atom remake and a Time Bokan that year too.
>>
>how is brave raideen

the 70s show is fine, it's about what you would expect from a mech show of that era.

I've seen the 90s raideen, and I thought it was enjoyable, especially the 2nd half of the show.

I haven't seen the 2007 one, but I hear it's pretty meh.
>>
>>15522753
What makes daltanious good exactly? I'm planning on watching it at some point, since I wanna check out more of nagahama's work.

I do think the mech looks fucking ugly though
>>
>>15526030
Personally, I think it works better than other Nagahama stuff because most episodes are focused strongly on character or (more rarely) plot. There's a few fluff episodes, but not near as many as Combattler. The MC is also pretty fun, probably the most entertaining 70s show protagonist after Banjo.
>>
File: 1194482526442.jpg (450KB, 1694x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1194482526442.jpg
450KB, 1694x1200px
>>15526010
>I haven't seen the 2007 one, but I hear it's pretty meh.
I watched about 16 episodes of it, largely because at the time it was one of the few super robot shows being regularly subbed.

It isn't bad, necessarily, but the pacing kills it. Nothing fucking happens; there is damn near no drama or tension.

It is competent but dull, and the few scenes that are actually decent just make it sting that much worse.

The mecha designs in the show kick ass, though, even if the 3d CGI is weak.
>>
>>15526054
>There's a few fluff episodes, but not near as many as Combattler
It amuses me how that one standalone episode right before the endgame annoyed Luurah unreasonably.
>>
>>15526030
Been wondering too since the first two fifths have more in common with old Looney Tunes than a robot anime.
>>
>>15526030
>>15526054
>>15526827
Interestingly enough, Nagahama supposedly left the production somewhere midway into the show.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.