[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear /m/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

File: 1233151646324.jpg (56KB, 607x304px) Image search: [Google]
1233151646324.jpg
56KB, 607x304px
There's a reason of Why the west Loves 02/Lancer Pilots that much in every mecha series?
>>
>>15507002
Because mains usually bland, empty audience-surrogates with no personality to offend any potential viewers with. The seconds get to have all the fun.
>>
File: tieriayokoshoop.jpg (335KB, 793x519px) Image search: [Google]
tieriayokoshoop.jpg
335KB, 793x519px
I remember everyone being more of a fan of 4 during s1
>>
>>15507002
> Why does the west love the wise-cracking wingman?
Because it's the west, they love wise-cracking anything. Also what >>15507079 said - most anime leads are required to fit a certain mold of the doormat self-insert protag and his girl-next-door love interest. The supporting cast gets more freedom to be interesting.
>>
>>15507002
While >>15507079 is often right, there's also a very strong tendency towards contrarianism in western culture, particularly in subcultures that were at least at one point considered nerdy such as anime fans. That means western fans are disinclined to like the main character, who you're typically supposed to like or empathize with the most and who usually gets treated best by the story in terms of acquiring new skills and powers. The main will often get a lot of spotlight - they get more scenes, they take more actions - which gives more about them to criticize.

The lancer character is usually supposed to be almost as good as the main, which means you're not rooting for a hopelessly weak character, and because they're not put in the same situations as the lead character, it's easy for fans to imagine alternative outcomes if they had been in charge. Look at all the people who fantasize about how Build Fighters Try could have been so good if their favorite secondary characters were the mains, ignoring how the terrible writing, directing, choreography, etc. would have been the same.
>>
File: tumblr_o19ydtQyXV1rkrqfvo1_1280.gif (194KB, 810x580px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o19ydtQyXV1rkrqfvo1_1280.gif
194KB, 810x580px
>>15507002

As Wing Commander Cartoon and Games stated a long time Ago

>What would be of a Maverick without its Maniac?
>>
>>15507100
In this particular case I agree with >>15507092
>the west loves wise-cracking anything
You have to be alpha to win. This is most specifically characteristic of American culture. In that sense it's not really contrarian but actually quite mainstream.
>>
>>15507002
I was going to say
>inb4 muh superior Western culture cucks
but they're already here, so whatever. The real reason is that Westerners that watch mecha are losers and want to pretend to be poorly done Cool Mcslickdick, which is all those characters are.
>>
>>15507002
>>15507079
>>15507092
This is true for so much of the industry. Back when the the big Bleach/Naruto/One Piece trio were kicking off I dropped the first two within the first year because the core cast they wanted to follow was so much weaker than the supporting/side characters.
>>
>>15507002
Because they are american

No literally, those two are the only americans in their respective shows.

I don't know why Duo is considered American by the Wing Staff themselves when he's from the colonies.
>>
File: 1400729733036.jpg (84KB, 500x452px) Image search: [Google]
1400729733036.jpg
84KB, 500x452px
>>15507109
>heero
>having ass
>>
>>15507121
>In that sense it's not really contrarian but actually quite mainstream.

That's the thing, though, right? It's mainstream to be contrarian with Americans, ridiculous though that sounds. American culture is huge on snark and has been for at least the past decade or so. That's why there's been this gigantic rash in the past few years of self-aware shows and films that wink-nod at the camera constantly. While there's some Japanese shows like that, like Heybot, it's not the dominant form of media over there. They still play their stories straight more often than not, and American media isn't in a place where they want to do that.
>>
>>15507311

L2Colony is the American one, which was almost wiped out by their own Deadly F.E.V

L3 Was Eastern European(which is why Trowa and his Sister are Ruskies)

L4 was fully Middle Eastern One thanks to the Winners

L5 was Stereotype Chink
>>
>>15507311
But Asuka is German.
>>
>>15507356
Because people that take things seriously are not alpha. Alphas are above it all.
>>
>>15507371
Germany is America in Japan.
>>
Many leaders for fictional teams are usually generic guys that follow the rules, while the second in command would be the opposite of him, having more depth with why he'd be somewhat of a rebel.
>>
>>15507816

>Thus we learn why wolverine proceeded to make Jean Grey Cuck the Eternal Cucklops
>>
>>15507002
Why do we tolerate this ESL garbage again?
>>
>>15507002
Really? I am American and Duo is the only bad Wing character.
>>
>>15507002
>Lancer
Go back to tvtropes
>>
File: Justin.jpg (51KB, 446x774px) Image search: [Google]
Justin.jpg
51KB, 446x774px
>>15507002 (OP)
Everytime I see them I think of pic related. I can't be the only one who caught this?
>>
>>15508360

Really? I am a Wing character and Anon is the only bad American.
>>
>>15507079
>Because mains usually bland, empty audience-surrogates with no personality to offend any potential viewers with. The seconds get to have all the fun.
Are you really painting Heero as a bland empty surrogate? Just his entrance alone and the "I'll kill you" line made his character otherwise.

I think it's more along the lines of stereotyping. Heero, Wufei, and Duo all acted in the 90's stereotypes of their cultures. As for Quatre and Trowa, I'm not really sure what happened there. I don't remember Russians being known for quiet and stoic like the Japanese and no one in the middle east acts anything like Quatre.
>>
>>15507816
Amazing how it takes a 60s comic three panels to do what it takes most series to do in three pages.
>>
>>15507002
>Loves 02/Lancer Pilots

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>15508424
Heero is the self-insert for the loner types who confuse being an edgelord with being cool. Likewise with Trowa and to some degree with Wufei.

It's unsettling that you need this explained to you.
>>
>>15509391
>It's unsettling that you need this explained to you.
It's more unsettling that you think that's actually true
>>
>>15508346
I agree, it's getting really tiring having to auto correct the english in my head every time. Hiroshima just needs to do a range IP ban of all third world countries and be done with it. It's even in the rules that this is an english website.
>>
>>15509581
>It's even in the rules that this is an english website.
Bingo.

Wasn't there a huehue forum/board that banned people for fucking up Portuguese.

We need something like that here.
>>
File: 1493576755045.png (124KB, 327x327px) Image search: [Google]
1493576755045.png
124KB, 327x327px
>>15507083
>See top right image
>CUTE!
>remember this is a guy

God dammit
>>
>>15510958
Tieria has no physical sex, they're anything you want them to be.
>>
>>15508394

>the daily reminder that even their kids are fucked up in the head as their parents

>>15509379

The old Luke and Han, Kirk and Spock, Goku and Vegeta friendship formula

>>15508380
>/A/ssblasted
>>
>>15509556
It is true, though. For some reason you can't believe that there are people who have trouble relating to other people because they have a prickly/guarded personality. Maybe you've never met them, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.
>>
>>15507002
West is full of assholes and wise guys, so obviously they like characters like Asuka and Duo.
>>
>>15511772
Only tsunderefags would like Asuka.

People like Duo because he had the most personality out of the group which isn't saying much considering the rest of the characters had all the charm of a dead fish.
>>
>>15511792

i think OP mean what west loves so much the types of them, like Chibodee, Shinn and ETC.

also everyone loves asuka and duo because both are lost twins
>>
>>15507002
No idea, but I will say this: Gundam Wing was the first anime I'd ever seen, and Duo was the only character who acted like a normal human and reacted to all the insanity like a normal person would.
>>
>>15515420

That was because ScottMcneil Simply went Rattrap while voicing him

also his Jap VA is Also Iruka, the Most normal teacher in a world full of autistic dipshit ninjas.
>>
>>15507092
this guy has the answer.

>>15507100
this is some kind of delusional projection; you have internet ptsd bro
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.