[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BURN IT UP! MAZIN-GO!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 12

File: 1492473285172.jpg (450KB, 1074x1518px) Image search: [Google]
1492473285172.jpg
450KB, 1074x1518px
Why is Mazinger so fucking cool? I try to put my finger on why I like Mazinger, not just the robot but the franchise as a whole, and words just escape me.

Post what you like about Mazinger and what you think makes it cool.
>>
File: 01001010050.jpg (269KB, 600x847px) Image search: [Google]
01001010050.jpg
269KB, 600x847px
>>15494084
The original manga has best vanilla Mazinger design
>>
File: 563ED4B73E56820010.jpg (193KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
563ED4B73E56820010.jpg
193KB, 1024x576px
To me, Koji and Mazinger represents human harnessing a superhuman, godlike power in order to wage an endless battle against any and all evil.

A human may get tired, weak, or broken, but Mazinger is as invincible as a man's indominable will to justice, and so will never be defeated. So as long as you still have the strength to hold your head up, look you enemy in the eyes and say "Not yet!", Mazinger will fight on. Evil will never win, because if they do, then then fight isn't over yet.

That's pretty badass, I think.
>>
>>15494084
In Toeizinger he's literally perfect and it fucking shows. Any and all weaknesses it has can be overcome by wit and the occasional improvement- with a little ingenuity, Mazinger and Koji conquered land, sea, and air.

Time after time Dr. Hell's beasts would fuck shit up and Mazinger and Koji would be there to dish it out in kind, and fucking dish it out they did. It's the good shit.
>>
>>15494138
I really like it too but there isn't much art with it and Nagai just went with the anime design later.
>>
>>15494659
I think how capable Mazinger and Kabuto Kouji are in pretty much every version of the series plays a huge part. They have weaknesses and can be taken advantage of, but once Kouji finds a way into Mazinger he usually can either use his wits or just brute force his way to victory. There's just something so cathartic about how Mazinger just brutally beats the shit out of things.
>>
>>15494084
The villains look outlandish and are enjoyable to watch them squabble around.

Feminine robots as requested do cheesy and yet so much fun to watch.

Boss and Boss Borot. Buff said
>>
>>15494084
Because Mazinger is literally a demon god.
>>
>>15494084
Because it introduced both best girl and best boy. Then sliced them in half and stitched them together. Pic related.
>>
File: Yugugy.png (465KB, 630x936px) Image search: [Google]
Yugugy.png
465KB, 630x936px
>>15494084
This qt 3.14.
>>
>>15495897
>Feminine's ass is double the size of the masculine side
This is so weird looking.
>>
File: Goods In Books_Mazinger 10.jpg (2MB, 1813x1380px) Image search: [Google]
Goods In Books_Mazinger 10.jpg
2MB, 1813x1380px
>>15495897
>>
No one has touched on why I really personally enjoy the Mazinger series.

At first sight, you would think Mazinger is your typical super hero story, with your average teen who's saving the day, but on deeper inspection, it's much much more than that, when you consider that Mazinger is the personification of God. It is both good, and evil, depending on the situation. It exacts justice on its enemies in the most violent of ways by either burning them with volcanic fire, or acid. In a way, Mazinger is really fucking scary, and sorta majestic. Then you bring in greek mythos baggage into the mix and you end up with some hybrid mecha series that tells your typical moral good vs evil story, in the craziest of fashion, akin to a greek epic. In other words, I really like the greek mythology aspect of the series. It's a nice alternative to Nagai's Christian mythos series like Devilman and Mao Dante.

I think Shin Mazinger actually showed just how damn interesting Mazinger lore can be, if you actually get them all in one coherent series. But that's not all, then we also have stuff like MazinSaga, Mazinger USA, God Mazinger, Mazinkaiser SKL, Mazinger ZERO which are all experimental takes on what Mazinger could really be about, and its concept as I see it is far more fluid than Gundam's, which always seem to revolve around politics and space.

But for unfortunate reasons, when people glance on Mazinger for the first time, they think it's your basic typical super robot franchise that's probably uninteresting as fuck, but I find the franchise even more outrageous and way more interesting than series people like to praise, like TTGL and Code Geass.

But you know what I would like more than Great-hen? A Steam punk Mazinger series. Make it happen.
>>
>>15496026
If by "steampunk" you mean Victorian, then I'd be on board. Mazinger bathed in a soup of early modern super science with a dash of "purified" pagan occultism is something that I would definitely like to see. Like Shelley's Mazinger.
>>
File: 01001010053.jpg (330KB, 1128x847px) Image search: [Google]
01001010053.jpg
330KB, 1128x847px
>>15494084
>>
File: 1493595213780.png (159KB, 487x479px) Image search: [Google]
1493595213780.png
159KB, 487x479px
>>15496026
Couldnt have explained better brother
>>
>>15496026
That was a cool toy line.
>>
>>15494084

Because Go Nagai knows how to really amplify the human spirit within the robot. Getter Robo, Mazinger, Devilman, etc. Anger, Justice, Toughness, Strength. All comes deep within.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBI2Sntjblg
>>
>>15496107
>Forgot to color the pilder
Man japanese were lazy with color back then.
>>
File: 1491685387809.png (365KB, 945x667px) Image search: [Google]
1491685387809.png
365KB, 945x667px
>>15496167
>Go Nagai
>Getter Robo
>>
>>15496214
That's the actual manga colour. Toei were the ones to make it red.

Just watch Mazinkaiser's 1st episode and you'll see Mazinger Z with a white pilder as well.
>>
File: 1427256863034.jpg (101KB, 418x600px) Image search: [Google]
1427256863034.jpg
101KB, 418x600px
White Pilder Mazinger Z so fresh
Rounded Pyro Plate Mazinger Z so fly
No nose Mazinger Z so good
>>
>>15496022
Goddam
>>
>>15496214
Not particularly
>>
Should I watch the Mazinger Z anime or read the manga instead?
>>
>>15498529
Toei is generally better, but the manga is also enjoyable and short
>>
>>15498529
Give the manga a shot first since its pretty quick. If you like it and just want more watch the anime.
>>
>>15498529
The manga is short, there's little reason not to read it.

Toeizinger is really nice and extra-long but you're going to have to look for or buy the not-crabstick Discotek subs, because AFAIK the streaming sites only have the crabsticks.
>>
The manga is weird, new stuff appears with no explanation like boss borot and the scrander. doesn't seem to have a proper ending either
>>
>>15499933
>doesn't seem to have a proper ending either
Haven't you read Great Mazinger?
>>
>>15499939
no

the Z manga just ends on another regular monster fight so I was confused for a while
>>
>>15499933
The manga moved from shounen jump to tv magazine. Tv magazine is usually for a younger audience, and they are usually based on the anime.
>>
>>15499933
>>15499960
The Japanese edition used for the scanlation splices together two separate magazine serials and mixes up the chapter order.
>>
>>15496215
It's because of that damn DVD release of Getter Armageddon having GO NAGAI in obnoxiously big letters on the box. Stuff like that sticks in peoples heads and feel official, that's what happens when a Western release is bungled, it can affect peoples perception in a huge way
Like Masked Rider.... Eat shit Saban
>>
>>15499944
It's like Metal Gear Solid 5 the ending actually occurs in the next chronological series. In Greats case it's early on in the Manga I believe
Basically the reality is they just renamed the Mazinger manga Great Mazinger, it's one continuous thing and I guess they wanted to show Koji kicking ass before he has to job
>>
>>15500028
OK so can we get a scanlation that isn't from some fucked up frankenstein version? We got all these middle class weebs in North America going on Tokyo vacations and nobody can pick up the original Mecha manga? Seriously
>>
>>15500073
There's only one edition that has the correct order and it's out of print iirc. There's 3 different version of the Z manga out there and only one of them is scanned.
>>
>>15500152
>There's 3 different version of the Z manga out there
What's the difference?
>>
File: sim.jpg (18KB, 361x172px) Image search: [Google]
sim.jpg
18KB, 361x172px
>>15500429
The first is the one we have scanlated, which splices the original with the terebi run. This has been reprinted the most. This features some updated drawings (in particular, Yumi's and Brocken's designs differ from the magazine run).

The second is the original version in its complete form in proper order. This wasn't available until 1999. Called マジンガーZ オリジナル版. Printed once. All of the drawings are the original magazine drawings, no updates.

The third is an updated version of the manga. It splices the original and terebi versions, but also features updated drawings by Nagai. The second most common edition. Called 改訂版 マジンガーZ and released in 2013.
>>
>>15496026

This excellently explains one of the many reasons why Mazinger is objectively better than its contemporaries like Jeeg and Getter.
>>
Why does Mazinger Zero hate Tetsuya so much?
>>
>>15502241

Because he sucks ass.
>>
>>15502252
Tetsuya or Zero?
>>
>>15502199
>and Getter.
Lol nope. I fucking love mazinger but Getter Manga just blows it outta the water
>>
>>15502199
But Getter also goes into the idea that it's a force higher than man with a nebulous morality, I want to say it did that before Mazinger did and it wasn't until Ishikawa explored the idea of Getter being a cosmic horror that later on they played up and really explored the "Mazinger is a devil or a god" angle.

I haven't read or watched Jeeg, like the robot and an gonna watch Kotetsushin Jeeg soon though, so I can't say how that one stands.

>>15502241
>>15502993
I feel few like Tetsuya in general. He's very boring compared to Kabuto Kouji, and while he is a better skilled pilot he's more prone to doing stupid shit like being provoked or making selfish decisions. At least he has a personality though, unlike Duke Fleed.
>>
>Tetsuya is only a year older than Kouji.
What was Kenzo feeding that kid?
>>
Anyone got discotek subs on them?
>>
>>15504398
Lotsa power drink smoothies, presumably.
>>
>>15507744
They also aren't biologically related, not to mention Kenzo was raising Jun and Tetsuya to be skilled pilots since they were children so they constantly went through rigorous physical training since childhood.

The true question is who would win in a fist fight: Kabuto Kouji or Tetsuya?
>>
>>15503477
Jeeg has only about two manga, but the only one to be scanlated is the one published in Terebi Magazine (predictably). From what I heard on foreign forums, it seems that Gosaku Ota did his own take on Jeeg.

Overall, the show is said to be dramatic for its time, despite toning down Hiroshi's cyborg origins and adding comic relief in the form of Don.
>>
>>15507748
>Kabuto Kouji or Tetsuya?
If they Z has his endgame upgrade I think in the end Koji ability to adapt and plan will trump Tetsuya raw stats and skill.
>>
>>15494084
Mazinger is cool because it is the only show I know which features Japanese delinquents piloting giant robots. I wish they'd play this angle up more, but then again, it's not very fair to the other street gangs when Kouji has a giant robot
>>
>>15507748
>The true question is who would win in a fist fight: Kabuto Kouji or Tetsuya?

I think Tetsuya would beat up Kouji, but everyone would be on Kouji's side and make Tetsuya out to be the asshole.
>>
>>15509704
because he is one
>>
>>15507738
I do, in fact, but I don't have them uploaded or anything like that. Would you like them uploaded to MEGA or summat?
>>
Just finished my watch-through of the various Mazinger anime (literally finished Shin Mazinger about 3 minutes ago). I was pretty impressed, I liked it a lot more than I thought. My final thoughts would be:
Toeizinger - This one was really great. The bold thick lines and campy mech designs have helped the animation age well. The upgrades and introducing new robots really give a good sense of progress. The scrander theme is hype. Every time I found myself starting to get bored they would throw a nice wrench in the works.
Mazinger Z tai Ankoku Daishougun - 70's Toei movie, enough said. It was great. I like this more than the Mazinkaiser version by a large margin.
Mazinkaiser - My personal favorite entry. I loved the animation, you get to see Lori, Roll, and Sayaka's tits. It really feels the most Go Nagai of the bunch. Koji is at his most anti-hero here, which fits really well. The comedic animation in this is a step above the rest of the franchise.
Mazinkaiser SKL - /m/etal
Shin Mazinger - I thought this show was really boring. The added mythos felt unnecessary. I also didn't like that Boss, Sayaka, and Yumi took a backseat to the random new characters introduced. I also didn't really like the focus on Ashura. It would have been fine to a point, but by the end, the story felt like it was more about Ashura than Koji. Also, Mazinger Z isn't in about 5 or 6 episodes (maybe more, I didn't really count), which is just ridiculous. The kurogane house characters and Ankokuji were all forgettable trash. They were basically serving the same role as Boss, without being as interesting or funny.

I'm waiting on the subs for Great Mazinger to be done before I watch it, so probably sometime after 2020. I'll probably either start Getter Robo or Grendizer now.
>>
>>15513631
>I'm waiting on the subs for Great Mazinger to be done before I watch it,
Why do people do this? It's a monster of the week show, you're not going to be lost or confused when you come back to it.
>>
>>15514017
Ebin
>>
>>15514017
If someone wasn't working on the subs I'd watch it, but I'd rather just wait and watch the other 750 titles I haven't watched yet in the meantime.
>>
>>15514017
I want to make sure it actually is finished so I'm not left hanging for the finale
>>
>>15513631
You have some shit taste.
>>
>>15515624
こちらこそ
>>
>>15503477
>But Getter also goes into the idea that it's a force higher than man with a nebulous morality
Hmmm. Tezuka's Hi no Tori gave me a similar vibe; although more than a nebulous morality it felt as if it was simply different. As if Tezuka was saying that an immortal deity will see things different than us mortals.
>>
>>15516707
Why don't you read Getter before trying to compare it to things? Ignorance is bad. Thanks.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.