[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real robots vs. super robots

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: aldnoah-ep24.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
aldnoah-ep24.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
As shitty as Aldnoah.Zero turned out, I liked the idea of giving one side real robots while the other had super robots. Are there any other series (no SRW) that did that?
>>
Nadesico after a certain point.
>>
>>15493981
Yes. They are also just as bad or sometimes worse.
>>
>>15493981
To make it work, you'd have to have at least an entire squad working together tactically for each super robot
>>
>>15494015
>have at least an entire squad working together tactically for each super robot
That's the idea.

In Aldnoah they just gave almost every super robot a fatal flaw that the MC discovered almost instantly. Which worked sometimes but reeked too much of convenience at others.
>>
>>15493981

Sure, plenty. The problem is that its almost always the protag who has the super robot, so what you get is a massacre until an enemy ace shows up.
>>
>>15494026

Honestly, Aldnoah COULD have been fine. Here, I can fix the show with two simple changes:

Inaho and his team, after they meet up with the rest of the Earth military, are added to a special taskforce comprised of everyone they can get their hands on who have survived direct engagements with martian Kats. Inaho's success is rare, but not entirely unique as others have accomplished the same using special tactics or just dumb fucking luck. This team's job is to figure out the weakness of different kats and take them down, a necessary job in the aysmmetrical war the Earth is now in. Inaho's role in this team is entirely back-line, he has no purpose being physically in a Kat most missions unless things are so dire that they need every available pilot (such as the end of season 1).

At some point, Inaho makes a mistake and gets someone killed. Some assumption he made about how an enemy power worked turned out to be wrong, and people got so used to him being right that they didn't plan for the worst like they should have.

Bam. It makes Inaho seem much less mary suish if he is not literally the only one in the entire army who can kill a kat, and he ends up enabling victory over the radio than scoring every killshot himself. And him making a crucial mistake even ONCE in the show knocks him down a major peg.

The second season is probably still a garbage fire, but it would at least be a better show.
>>
>>15493981
Daiohja. It's Mito Komon in space, so needless to say the other side doesn't stand a chance.
>>
>>15493981
What was it you liked so much about the idea?

>>15494027
Get less shit taste and become less of a newfag.
>>
>>15494037
>What was it you liked so much about the idea?
The asymmetry creates the need for different kinds of tactics, especially if the lead's side is the one limited to real robots.

The inverse scenario could work as well if the super robots are severely outnumbered or have some other downsides to them. I.e. they are super robots in that they use some unique weaponry or power source, but aren't actually overpowered.
>>
They weren't super robots, they were robots with superpowers.

There's a difference.
>>
>>15493981
AZ was fantastic, fake mecha fan.
>>
>>15493981
>I liked the idea of giving one side real robots while the other had super robots
And A/Z showed off how stupid thst idea is.
>>
>>15494127
Maybe if you only look at the /m/ side and ignore everything else. Though some of the battles were pretty bad as well.
>>
>>15494035
I have said before and will likely say again: Aldnoah's biggest flaws are that its lacks the courage to go through with its best ideas, and that it presents those ideas to the audience despite failing to live up to them.

It's basically, "Wouldn't it be cool if this happened? I mean, it doesn't, but wouldn't it be cool if it did?" the series. With everything from the repeated fake deaths to the whole reals-vs-supers conceit. It's not that their ideas were bad, it's just that they didn't actually use their good ideas. They just kind of put them out there and then did boring shit instead. The concept of many weak protagonists fighting fewer, stronger antagonists works with an ensemble cast where characters can die. But they didn't want that because that's not the mecha show cliche, so they did the standard single protagonist, just with lip-service being paid to the more interesting idea that they could have gone with and didn't.
>>
Ideon? For a certain weight of 'real robots' that the Buff Clan uses.

Govarian is apparently the same (super-robot vs amry of reals), but I don't know for certain.
>>
>>15493981
Honestly Gundam 00 is basically that for the first season or so
We see the conventional millitaries using unique tactics to beat the super gundams, like trying to just tire out the pilots with a long sustained battle
>>
>>15494164
>Maybe if you only look at the /m/ side
I sure do love shit CG and boring battles
>>
File: unsure.webm (128KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
unsure.webm
128KB, 1280x720px
>the entire crux of the series relies on the axiom that the Martian robots are objectively superior
>one specced for CQC gets beaten in arm strength by a first season training grunt
>>
>>15494015
So like how all but one general in MJP were defeated by TEAMWORK?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.