[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Capefags: Breaking News

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: fabric.jpg (79KB, 800x617px) Image search: [Google]
fabric.jpg
79KB, 800x617px
NASA has developed a type of chainmail to defeat microasteroids

Now you can pretend capes on robots is realistic

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/nasa-meteorite-resistant-space-fabric-futuristic-chainmail-010159221.html
>>
>>15483337
With giant nets weaved from these things, we can finally catch space whales, right?
>>
>>15483337

It was always realistic, because "man that looks cool" is a realistic reason to do something. It's not the most practical reason, but practical isn't the sole defining design characteristic of most things and even machines designed solely on practicality are often modified to be cooler or more comfortable by their users after the fact since it makes them more individual and personal.

That said, this is a great discovery but at the same time I found https://www.yahoo.com/tech/nature-throws-humanity-softball-provides-bugs-digest-plastic-020412984.html a more interesting one personally. Not that space cape material isn't awesome, but bugs being able to eat plastic and solve a looming problem of global proportions is simply more interesting.
>>
can i paint it red and make a scarf instead?
>>
>>15483378

It's 3-D printed, so there's no reason you couldn't use a red material to build it from instead of brushed steel color.
>>
>>15483337
>NASA found a way to 3D-print some ancient ass roman armour.

Reminds me, why hasn't anybody else tried to laser sinter mail armour yet?
>>
>>15483406

What's sinter mail?
>>
>>15483375
> bugs being able to eat plastic
And then they escape and become a global nuisance.
>>
File: 1679858958790.jpg (33KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
1679858958790.jpg
33KB, 400x398px
>>15483337
>ABC cloaks can be a thing
We're on the correct timeline
>>
>>15483476
>And then they escape and real life becomes an STG

Fixed.
>>
>>15483476

They were in the wild all along. Captured ones escaping would be a nothing event.
>>
>>15483476
The problem is actually that their consumption of plastic releases toxic gases and things like that would have to be worked out before they can really start making it viable.

>>15483337
Well, when you consider that our giant robots are already supposed to be able to withstand attacks from beams or conventional armaments, the idea of a "fabric" that stops meteoroid damage is kind of redundant. Astronauts and craft need it precisely because they are relatively fragile.
>>
>>15483410
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_laser_sintering

Basically selectively melt specific spots in a bucket of metal shavings until you got the shape you want.
>>
>>15483337
Nasa... wow
>>
>>15483363

UOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THIS FIGHT IS STUPID, LISTEN TO MY SONG!
>>
>>15483337
Buster shield when?
>>
>>15483482
>4035
>Wars are no longer fought based on materials
>They are instead fought on ideology
>WITH SUPER ROBOTS!
We're in the SAIKYO timeline.
>>
>>15483476
I read a manga like this. GMO organism functions like a piranha with only a mouth and 4 legs and eats garbage, gets out and proceeds to eat cars, buildings, and people.
>>
>>15485468
Ah, biomeat.
>>
>>15483337
Um, no. I can only see this being used for armored dust covers on mecha joints.
>>
BUSTAH SHIELDO
>>
>>15483754
Massively toxic byproducts aren't a new issue for industrial processes. The problem is more that it's something like 130,000 worm-hours per bag, and IIRC they tended to just eat their way out of the plastic and then stop eating it. Lot of work needs to be done to get that to a place where it can actually impact the plastic problem.
>>
>>15483482
>you can finally fly comfy mechs around in Jupiter's gravity, but you have to wait about 200 years to do it
Where can I find some immortality?
>>
>>15483375

This logic only holds so long as aesthetics aren't crippling functionality.

An emblem on your gun serves no practical purpose, but it's not like a small engraving on the side is going to get in the way, so sure, why not?

A cape? You could trip on it, get tangled up in it, it could get snagged on a bush, it could obscure your view, etc. Anyone who decided that they wanted to enter combat in a cape likely wouldn't live to learn why people don't wear capes into the field.

>It's super hero comics, so who cares? Rule of cool!

I agree, but if you want to bring realism into the discussion, you'd have to be really stupid to wear a cape into a scenario where you know that somebody is going to try to kill you.
>>
>>15486206

And referring to mecha specifically, the genre loses the realism argument straight out the gates with the premise, which makes talking about realism in this context a bit silly.

>You have access to future materials and lasers, and you want to make a mobile weapon that will kill the enemy while not getting you killed! What do you do?

[ ] Make something fast, mobile, and deadly; focus on aerodynamics
[ ] Make something heavily armored and built to move the maximum amount of weight over a large variety of terrains at a reasonable speed
[ ] Make something with no specialization and an excessive amount of moving parts (which means an excessive amount of things that can go wrong)

From the beginning, the internal logic is "we're doing whatever looks cool". Which is fine.
>>
File: 14878.jpg (94KB, 600x915px) Image search: [Google]
14878.jpg
94KB, 600x915px
>>15483375
>>15483476

>Mutant 59: The Plastic Eater could become real

NOPE

NOPENOPENOPE
>>
File: doublefacepalm.jpg (53KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
doublefacepalm.jpg
53KB, 600x480px
>>15483337
>chain mail is new tech
>>
>>15486871

> articles says it's only a new type of chain mail that's mainly characterised by how it's manufactured
> anon takes it say chain mail is new tech
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.