[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern super robot anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 13

File: getter-robo-1245176.jpg (160KB, 800x1216px) Image search: [Google]
getter-robo-1245176.jpg
160KB, 800x1216px
I just finished watching Getter Robo Armageddon, and while I didn't quite understand the plot(so many things were left unanswered) I thought the animation and fight scenes were next level, some of the best hot blooded super robot action I have ever seen. Can anyone suggest something else along those same lines? And uh, yes, I have already seen TTGL, so you can leave that out.
>>
>>15472124
The other ovas, Koutetsushin Jeeg.
>>
File: 1240603150026.jpg (142KB, 680x520px) Image search: [Google]
1240603150026.jpg
142KB, 680x520px
>>15472124
The Mazinkaiser OVA, and the New Getter Robo and Koutetsushin Jeeg TV animes are probably the most similar.

Shin Mazinger is kind of similar, too, but it's both slower paced and somewhat uneven.
>>
>>15472149
Oh shit, I had known about Steel Jeeg but I had no idea that they remade it. The op seems promising, at least. Thanks for the info, anon.
>>
File: 1447341972228.jpg (263KB, 1000x715px) Image search: [Google]
1447341972228.jpg
263KB, 1000x715px
Gaiking LODM. Subs and aspect ratio are kinda bad, but hey what can you do.
>>
>>15472176
>I had no idea that they remade it
iirc it's actually a follow-up to the original (and a big Dynamic circlejerk in general)
>>
>>15472167
I have been meaning to get into the Mazinger series but it seems to be less interesting in general compared to most other super robo series out there....
>>
>>15472181
>it's actually a follow-up to the original
Except it's not. It's in its own continuity.
>>
>>15472181
>>15472197
Both of these statements are misleading.

Kotetsushin Jeeg is an alt-universe sequel to the original Kotetsu Jeeg. It assumes that the second half of Kotetsu Jeeg never happened, and picks up the story as if the original had ended with the defeat of the Haniwa Empire.
>>
>>15472241
Except there are retcons beside the second half never happening, like how Hiroshi's dad is still alive.
>>
>>15472245
>alt
>universe
>>
>>15472253
I already said it's in its own continuity. That's not a misleading statement. That's factually correct.
>>
>>15472259
Man, you're are one stubborn moron.

>first post: it's a sequel to the original.
>your post: it's not. it's its own continuity.
Both of these statements are simultaneously right and wrong. It is a sequel to the original Jeeg and it is in its own continuity. Now OP knows better, so shut the fuck up moron.
>>
>>15472268
>It is a sequel to the original Jeeg
It's not. It shares very little with the original show or even manga.

>It is in its own continuity.
Correct.
>>
>>15472268
Koutetsushin Jeeg is in the same category as Getter Robo Armageddon.

Getter Robo Armageddon is an alternate continuity OVA, not a sequel.
>>
>>15472182
Shin Mazinger was directed by the same guy that did the first three episodes of Armageddon. It gets more complex than Getter ever did. But you're right about the rest of the series, it's mostly plotless MotW. That said, the original Toei show is a lot more weird and experimental than many of the other 70s shows of the time. You see stuff in it that wouldn't really become commonplace in mecha until ten years later.
>>
>>15472281
>But you're right about the rest of the series, it's mostly plotless MotW

Sounds like someone who never actually read the various Mazinger manga available out there.
>>
>>15472278
>Koutetsushin Jeeg is in the same category as Getter Robo Armageddon.
No, it isn't moron.
Getter Robo Armageddon isn't a sequel to the original Getter Robo in any capacity. It's a sequel to an entirely original Getter Robo story called the 10 year Moon War.

Kotetsushin Jeeg is an alt-continuity to the original Kotetsu Jeeg story. It has various detail changes, but otherwise assumes the original plot of Kotetsu Jeeg as its basis.

They are not even remotely the same. Remove yourself from the gene pool.
>>
File: TTTY_(3).jpg (157KB, 700x566px) Image search: [Google]
TTTY_(3).jpg
157KB, 700x566px
>>15472281
God Mazinger, MazinSaga, Mazinger USA, Z Mazinger, Mazinkaiser SKL Versus, Mazinkaiser manga, Shin Mazinger ZERO, Ota's stuff, even Mazinger Angels and Mazinger Otome have a plot.

And we're getting two new Mazinger manga this year, one by Yu Kinutani, and the other by UME.

>>15472182
Mazinger is more diverse in themes than Getter Robo. You have fantasy, historical fantasy, mythological fantasy, ecchi, comedy, drama, metal, time travel, sci fi, post apocalyptic.
>>
>>15472316
>SKL has a plot
Anyway, the vast majority of that shit has no translation, so you can't really expect me to know about it
>>
File: aoi_1280x1024.jpg (533KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
aoi_1280x1024.jpg
533KB, 1280x1024px
>>15472124

I like Dancouga Nova. We have DVD subs now.

>>15464944
>>
>>15472318
MazinSaga and Z Mazinger are the only ones that have never been touched.

SKL Versus has a plot from volume 2 onwards (3 volumes)
>>
>>15472312
>Getter Robo Armageddon isn't a sequel to the original Getter Robo in any capacity.
Correct.

>It's a sequel to an entirely original Getter Robo story called the 10 year Moon War.
The Moon War was produced after the OVA, making the Moon War, a prequel, and Getter Robo Armageddon, NOT a sequel just because it follows after.

>Kotetsushin Jeeg is an alt-continuity
Correct.

>to the original Kotetsu Jeeg story
Wrong.

> It has various detail changes, but otherwise assumes the original plot of Kotetsu Jeeg as its basis.
With that many details being changed, that puts Koutetsushin Jeeg in the realm of alternate continuity, not a "sequel", just like Armageddon.
>>
File: Mazin-Saga-Mutant-Fighter.jpg (415KB, 900x1178px) Image search: [Google]
Mazin-Saga-Mutant-Fighter.jpg
415KB, 900x1178px
I haven't read MazinSaga, but whoever edited the wikipedia page for it said this

"The manga is considered a combination of Mazinger with Devilman because of the complexity of its plot and thematic. While this Mazinger is actually more an armored warrior instead of a giant super robot, it is also considered part of the Mazinger saga."
>>
>>15472124

No, because they're all objectively garbage just like that is.
>>
>>15472322
I've never been able to find scanlations of the Ota stuff anywhere on the internet. And I thought the SKL manga was only available in French?

And the projects for most of what have been touched are invariably dead. I try to avoid viewing incomplete translations. It's just setting myself up for disappointment.
>>
>>15472326
Getter Robo Armageddon
>completely original story, has nothing to do with past Getter series

Kotetsuhin Jeeg
>new continuity, but based on the original Kotetsu Jeeg

JP description of the series:
>『鋼鉄神ジーグ』(こうてつしんジーグ)は、『鋼鉄ジーグ』の続編にあたるアニメ作品
>Kotetsushin Jeeg is an animated sequel to Kotetsu Jeeg

Eat shit, faggot. You're fucking done.
>>
>>15472337
Ota Grendizer is scanlated in English. I read the SKL manga in French.
>>
>>15472339
>using wikipedia to make your point
Whoever wrote this Japanese entry is wrong. Big deal.

They get obscure shit like Shin Jeeg wrong all the time.
>>
>>15472346
Here's from the official website:
その続編として立ち上げられた今作は、永井豪による新アイデアをプラス。
>Now begins this sequel, which combines new ideas from Go Nagai.
http://jeeg.tv/intro/index.html

KILL
YOUR
SELF
>>
>>15472124
Aquarion
Dancouga Nova
Mazinkaiser SKL
Kotetsushin Jeeg
Sym Bionic Titan
>>
>>15472353
They are wrong? Japanese people have a different definition of what a sequel actually entails and continuity is a major part of it. Koutetsushin Jeeg is not a sequel because it doesn't follow the original anime's continuity.

It's an alternate continuity. through and through, not a sequel.
>>
>>15472358
You're literally insane. You belong in a mental institution.
>>
>>15472362
>they must be right because they're Japanese!
Literally you.

If it doesn't follow the previous continuity, it's not a sequel, simple as that. The retcons are too huge to ignore.
>>
>>15472124
OP, if you're still around, here's some other good shit

Super Heavy God Gravion
Gaiking LoDM (subs for it are bad, though)
Shooting Star Gakusaver
Assuming you somehow haven't seen it, Gunbuster
Macross 7 and everything related to it except for the manga which is literally subtitled TRASH
Zambot 3 if you can accept really terrible animation in exchange for really good plot.
>>
>>15472364
They're right because they're the people that made it. It is what they say it is, and a literal fucking nobody like you doesn't get to change or challenge that.
>>
>>15472377
Has it ever occured to you that these people are wrong? Because they are.

>a literal fucking nobody like you doesn't get to change or challenge that.
Dumbest thing I heard all day. If I watch a comedy, and the producers insist that it's a sci fi epic, they'll be wrong.

Whether I'm a nobody or not is completely irrelevant. The audience are the ones who'll say what kind of content they watched, regardless of what the producers insist on.
>>
Someone should make a good rec chart for this sort of thing.
>>
File: gonagai.jpg (2MB, 1344x6361px) Image search: [Google]
gonagai.jpg
2MB, 1344x6361px
>>15472124
>>
File: special olympics.jpg (58KB, 600x888px) Image search: [Google]
special olympics.jpg
58KB, 600x888px
>>15472390
>>15472377

You're both retards. It is a good sequel. They build directly off the old show but that doesn't mean you have to have seen the old show to get it because they explain as they go.
>>
>>15472399
This guy >>15472377
isn't even me. I gave up on the delusional mental patient a few posts ago.
>>
>>15472399
>>15472408
Stop deluding yourselves.

Shin Jeeg is an alternate continuity OVA, not a sequel.
>>
>>15472447
It's not even an OVA, you fucking retard.
>>
>>15472453
Yes, I misspoke, alternate continuity TV series.

Doesn't change the fact that it's not a sequel.
>>
>>15472367
Gunbuster is pretty great, thanks for the other suggestions as well.
>>
File: 1159047902903.jpg (124KB, 282x400px) Image search: [Google]
1159047902903.jpg
124KB, 282x400px
>>15472177
Gaiking LODM is an excellent show, probably one of my favorites, but it's very much a kids show that's not super-similar to GRA.
>>
>>15472786
Stylistically, it's down pat, but you are right that is for younger viewers first and foremost. Also, best regards to Jilpoong17.
>>
>>15472182
Shin Mazinger does a fantastic job of blending hot blooded robot battles with drama, give it a shot, it's one of my favorite series along with getter Armageddon
>>
>>15472559
You're welcome

I did forget Yasuhiro Imagawa's other two hot blooded shows, Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still and Mobile Fighter G Gundam. The man has a real talent for super robots. However, I'd say his best robot show is the 2004 version of Tetsujin 28. It's not hot-blooded in the slightest, and could even be called somber, but damn does it know how to hit you with an emotional sledgehammer. The Superhuman Kelly arc was phenomenal.
>>
File: gaiking-siblings.jpg (76KB, 300x356px) Image search: [Google]
gaiking-siblings.jpg
76KB, 300x356px
>>15472808
>>15472786

Id almost argue that it's strength though. It doesn't try to be anything more than a fun show for kids and doesn't insist otherwise with OH SO DEEP Bullshit.
>>
>>15472874
I wouldn't say it's quite a kids show. It's not like it's on the same level as an El Doran show. Obviously it isn't some bullshit like Rahxephon either, but hell, I don't think it'd seem all that different from Godannar if Godannar didn't have more fanservice than one ever needs to see in a lifetime
>>
File: 1467267740865.jpg (292KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1467267740865.jpg
292KB, 640x960px
>>15472874
>Id almost argue that it's strength though. It doesn't try to be anything more than a fun show for kids and doesn't insist otherwise with OH SO DEEP Bullshit.
Absolutely. The show is just so damn fun.

>>15472887
>I wouldn't say it's quite a kids show.
It's a show about a 10 year old who falls in with a band of rebels with a pirate motif who travel a fantasy world in their giant robot dragon.

Buddy, it's a kid's show.
>>
>>15472887
It's intended as a kids' show. It's got those kiddie segments at the end of the episodes.
>>
>>15472950
Yeah, and Tetsujin is a show about a ten year old detective who drives cars and battles Frankenstein's monster, the mafia and androids with his potbellied giant robot partner. It couldn't be geared more towards adults.

Gaiking is safe for children to view, but it doesn't hold back on the violence or death and it doesn't spend time spelling everything out to the viewer. Like I said, watch an El Doran if you want to know what a giant robot kid's show is really like. Which is still fun, by the way. I had a great time watching Ganbaruger.
>>
>>15472887
If anything, it remembers to be closer in tone to shows from the old days. Doesn't try to appeal to older viewers to the point of exclusion, and has a fairly neat plot.

Hell, Daiya pulls the kind of stunt Zambot's MC Kappei would have done, early on.
>>
>>15472989
>Gaiking is safe for children to view, but it doesn't hold back on the violence or death and it doesn't spend time spelling everything out to the viewer. Like I said, watch an El Doran if you want to know what a giant robot kid's show is really like.
Not holding back on violence and not spelling everything out isn't in itself evidence that it's not a kids show.

Dragon Ball Z is didn't hold back on the violence or death but it's a kids show.
Adventure Time doesn't spell everything out but it's a kid's show.

I agree that Gaiking LODM is definitely meant for an older audience than El Doran, but only in that it targets the 10-13 year-old bracket instead of the 6-8 year old bracket. Preteens are still children regardless of how much they hate to admit it.

I do want to stress that this is in no way a dig at the show. LODM is legitimately my favorite super robot show of it's decade.
>>
>>15472181
It's not.

It's basically Neo vs. Shin Getter Robo with original characters.
>>
>>15472322
We only experience MazinSaga through an obscure videogame on the Sega Genesis/MegaDrive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwM4vzyfmOI
>>
>>15473346
This.
>>
Reminder that only -ABSOLUTE- faggots hate on glorious SKL
>>
>>15472989
> Tetsujin is a show about a ten year old detective who drives cars and battles Frankenstein's monster, the mafia and androids with his potbellied giant robot partner. It couldn't be geared more towards adults.
There's also an 80s version of it albeit in a different direction. So does the 60s version.
>>
>>15472390
Has it ever occurred to you that YOU might be wrong? Because you are. It is what the creators say it is, no matter what your autistic ass wants it to be otherwise. Maybe you should get your delusional head out of your ass and actually bother to think next time before you shitpost.
>>
>>15474038
>Has it ever occurred to you that YOU might be wrong?
No you retarded ESL. It's not a sequel. It's an alternate continuity tv series.

A sequel would imply Shin Jeeg was in the same continuity as the original TV series, this isn't the case here. The creators are wrong, full stop, and you should stop defending inaccurate labeling just because they're from the creators. That's not how media works.
>>
>>15473654
>Reminder that only -ABSOLUTE- faggots hate on glorious SKL
I still need to see that at some point.
However, given what I've seen of the two-pilot contraption, I expect that even absolute faggots would find something to enjoy in the show.
>>
File: 4gqtz.jpg (177KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
4gqtz.jpg
177KB, 500x376px
>>15474138
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.