[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Phoenix Point

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: phoenix point 01.jpg (53KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
phoenix point 01.jpg
53KB, 960x540px
Hey guys! You may have heard about this already, but Julian Gollop, the creator of the original XCOM, is making a return to the alien invasion tactics genre with Phoenix Point. This game deals with Lovecraftian creatures coming from the deep instead of space, but I looked up the campaign on Fig (https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point) and it seems there'll be some /m/echa content--this concept art has an exoskeleton (pic related) and you can see what looks to be a cool VTOL ship with a cannon in the video. This looks pretty badass, anyone else thinking of backing? I always wanted to see Gollop come back to this genre.
>>
File: phoenix point vtol.jpg (120KB, 1600x853px) Image search: [Google]
phoenix point vtol.jpg
120KB, 1600x853px
>>15469874
Here's a pic of the VTOL thing. Looks kinda Starcraft-y in the sense of seeming ramshackle and heavily used, but that makes sense in a postapocalyptic environment.
>>
So is he trying to show up Terror from the Deep, the X-Com he didn't work on, or what? Maybe he's just doing something different from the new XCOMs.

>>15470038
There is also a tank and stuff.
>>
>>15470467
I think he wants to do Terror from the Deep right this time. From what I heard, Microprose was under some very severe time constraints, which meant the TftD was more or less a reskinned X-COM with a lot of bugs. Now that Gollop has plenty of time and money (he's already been working on this for a year and he's got 250k dollars out of 500k in about a day), he has a chance to really do a Lovecraftian strategy game well. He hasn't even released the stretch goals yet, I wonder what those will be. I hope modding is one.
>>
>>15469874
>This looks pretty badass, anyone else thinking of backing?

Could you be anymore obvious? GTFO
>>
>>15470467
It looks like it also is expanding on some of the ideas of XCOM Apocalypse with the other human factions and shit

And of course there's an alien worshiping cult
>>
I'd only vaguely heard about this before, but it being TftD-ish has gotten me interested. I sunk an unreasonably large number of hours into that game and really liked the underwater/coastal aesthetic. It's not something you see too often.
>>
>>15470495
;_; Yeah, I know linking to stuff like this is kinda unseemly, but I remember /m/ had fun XCOM threads and I figured folks around here would be as interested as I am in the tanks and exoskeletons we've seen so far.

>>15470499
Yeah, building on Apocalypse was also another thing he wanted to do. Diplomacy seems to be a pretty big part of the game, like you can either trade or steal for tech, get involved with inter-faction wars the AI starts, things like that.

>>15470503
Yeah. I haven't played that much TftD but from what I recall it was very scary, and the original UFO: Enemy Unknown could get pretty scary too. The underwater missions really got across a sense of dread and unease.
>>
>>15470038
I have no idea what's what on this thing.
>>
>>15470515
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVXz4IEGnM

Unsettling is what TftD did better than any game I've played before or since. Picture this music while you deploy a bunch of hapless schlubs with harpoon guns in a murky deep filled with rocks and old oil rigs. There's no contact for several turns, just the occasional footsteps over sand or squelching over coral, and then a pulser flies out of the dark and takes out four guys (who you'd had semi-close to try to have them cover each other). Half your team's dead and you don't even know what you're fighting.

If Gollop can capture _that_, it'll be a hell of a thing. I love TftD, but interface shenanigans make it hard to go back to. Something in that ballpark with a modern UI would be fantastic.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.